Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, shortshadow said:

I currently play Indian Creek Lakes and Creeks course 4 times a week.

Can anyone kindly suggest local(North DFW, Central DFW) courses that provide the variation of Indian Creek courses for the money?

I am not a Homer, but a big advocate of what Indian Creek brings as far as price, difficulty and having 2 courses to choose from.

From the few courses I have played locally...Indian Creek seems to provide the most challenges for the money.   I am not a fan of straight fairways and no hazard courses.

Indian Creek may be easy for you...but most other courses I play seem boring and overpriced.

I like that Indian Creek provides doglegs on almost all par 4 and 5's, water hazards and in my opinion narrow fairways with trees on both sides.  Shank and you have to kick out.

I dont like that there is no serious rough anywhere on either course for the most part....but the trees do force you to kick out if you dont hit straight or choose the wrong club and hit past the dogleg.

Can anyone kindly suggest a difficult course or not boring straight fairway course that is reasonably priced in North/Central DFW?  I think I am interested in finding a course that has hard rough for a change.   But I am looking for any course reasonably priced that isnt straight fairway boring.

I play Indian Creek Lakes for $22 for 18 hole Monday through Friday and Creeks $38 Monday through Friday

Go check out stevens park, not straight at all. No public course in DFW will have good rough this time of year, or really any time. The cart traffic grinds it down to the nub, and we have too many trees for it to grow, the fairways will be longer. That's why they don't play majors around here anymore. It's challenging but in a different way than you see on TV up north.

Edited by TexasTurf

25 minutes ago, TexasTurf said:

Go check out stevens park, not straight at all. No public course in DFW will have good rough this time of year, or really any time. The cart traffic grinds it down to the nub, and we have too many trees for it to grow, the fairways will be longer. That's why they don't play majors around here anymore. It's challenging but in a different way than you see on TV up north.

Ive played Stevens Park and liked it as a fun course.

I liked Bear Creek West front 9 as fun as well.

Im just looking for a normal style course that is difficult.  I guess you can have straight fairways(but most all of them?) if the undulation is hard and bunkers or water or trees is hard.  Im not looking for a gimmicky course that is super wierd...but a course that is something you might see the pros play.

Of all the courses I have played locally...WinStar in Oklahoma is the closest thing to something I have seen on TV.   Not saying it is easy or hard...just the keep and look of the course.  Ive played it 3 times and I think Indian Creek courses are harder...but WinStar is more "upscale".

Luna Vista has some interesting things going on...but its not hard.

Just looking for reasonably priced, non-gimmicky courses that provide difficulty and variation..  Indian Creek Creek Course Greens #3 and #14 are gimmicky...I will admit.

Posted (edited)

Just to confirm...I dont want to come across as stuck up in my first few posts on this site.

I asked about reasonably priced courses...then talked about Bear Creek and WInStar(both over $50) while also using words to describe courses like "gimmicky" or "not difficult".

I am not a good golfer...average bogey golf at Indian Creek.   I play absolutely no mulligans, play as it lies and I must tap in even 3 inch puts.  Im into golf as a challenge for myself...no gimmies.

Hopefully that explains my original question and why I used the words I did.   

Im grateful to play any and all courses I can.

To further explain what I am looking for when I say "hard"...if anyone has played Lake Park in Lewisville...you can shank a shot off the tee box, find your ball, and still have a clean shot to the green on most holes there.   No trees, straight fairways.   Im not looking for courses like that...but I understand a lot are like that and I am grateful for those courses too...just looking for gems I guess.

I dont have the income to join a private or semi-private...which is why I am looking for gems.

Thanks for the responses btw.  Grapevine Muni is my next target.  Lot of people I am paired with have mentioned it.   I will get out to Pecan Hallow soon too.

Edited by shortshadow
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:14 AM, shortshadow said:

Just to confirm...I dont want to come across as stuck up in my first few posts on this site.

I asked about reasonably priced courses...then talked about Bear Creek and WInStar(both over $50) while also using words to describe courses like "gimmicky" or "not difficult".

I am not a good golfer...average bogey golf at Indian Creek.   I play absolutely no mulligans, play as it lies and I must tap in even 3 inch puts.  Im into golf as a challenge for myself...no gimmies.

To further explain what I am looking for when I say "hard"...if anyone has played Lake Park in Lewisville...you can shank a shot off the tee box, find your ball, and still have a clean shot to the green on most holes there.   No trees, straight fairways.   Im not looking for courses like that...but I understand a lot are like that and I am grateful for those courses too...just looking for gems I guess.

I dont have the income to join a private or semi-private...which is why I am looking for gems.

Thanks for the responses btw.  Grapevine Muni is my next target.  Lot of people I am paired with have mentioned it.   I will get out to Pecan Hallow soon too.

Sounds like you need to try Cedar Crest. Tricky course, small greens, actually has some character to it. Tillinghast design

@callawayjayand I played tourney in Riverside Golf Club today. Decent course that was playing incredibly tough with the wind and heat. Overall I enjoyed it even though it wasn’t a great day round wise.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Love the course but heard the greens are not good again.  Can anyone confirm that has played recently?  

Greens have been good for the last 6 months or so. It’s back in my usual rotation

another tougher course is Indian Creek Creek, Texas star was good too. Heritage ranch also

edit: played there in the last week and they were good

Edited by FuzzyKnuckles
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cedar crest is in good shape. Some burned out patches on 2-3 greens but fun shape all around. Buffalo creek was fun yesterday greens still a lil sandy after the punch rolling a lil grippy but true. I played thorntree like a month ago greens were great as always fairways were the best I’ve seen but bunkers unplayable. 

Edited by jrelurker7
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:14 AM, shortshadow said:

Have you played any of the Firewheel courses? I usually switch between Firewheel Bridges and Indian Creek. Prices are comparable and the layout and conditions of the 3 9s at Bridges are great, at least when I played a month ago. Played both Indian creek courses for the last few rounds but haven’t played anywhere since the storm.

For my ranking it’d go:

Firewheel Bridges

Indian Creek Creek

Indian Creek Lakes (due to lack of driver holes from the blues)

Firewheel Lakes

Firewheel Old course

Lakes and Old course haven’t been in the best shape the last time I played them but it was last season since I can pretty reliably get a twilight tee time same day for Bridges

On 6/9/2024 at 8:16 AM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Greens have been good for the last 6 months or so. It’s back in my usual rotation

another tougher course is Indian Creek Creek, Texas star was good too. Heritage ranch also

edit: played there in the last week and they were good

Are the greens back at Texas Star? Last time I played the poa was miserable but I know poa goes away with some heat

On 6/4/2024 at 10:05 PM, MerryTex said:

Does anyone have any information on how Fields Ranch is looking? I’m going to be going up that way in a few weeks. 

I’m bummed to hear about OA. I played it last year around the Masters and loved it. 

Played out there over the weekend on the West. The greens must have been punched a week or two ago, as you could still see signs. Given all the rain I was surprised there were a couple of rough spots on the greens as well, but overall still in great shape - felt they rolled true still. Given the fee, you should expect immaculate. Everywhere else on the course was immaculate. I'm assuming another week and the greens will be fully recovered and in terrific shape. 

• Like 2

Awesome to hear! I'll be going two weeks from now so they should be great. 

5 minutes ago, GolfinDave said:

Played out there over the weekend on the West. The greens must have been punched a week or two ago, as you could still see signs. Given all the rain I was surprised there were a couple of rough spots on the greens as well, but overall still in great shape - felt they rolled true still. Given the fee, you should expect immaculate. Everywhere else on the course was immaculate. I'm assuming another week and the greens will be fully recovered and in terrific shape. 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Toulon Las Vegas H1 - Diamana P105 

Titleist Pro V1

Haha...I asked for a course with rough as opposed to no rough...and I got it.

Played Riverchase in Coppell yesterday, never played it before, I dont think they have been able to mow since the rain and not wanting to get mowers stuck.   Guys I was paired with said it was not that usually as thick as it was yesterday.

Boy oh Boy was I not prepared for that challenge.   I have no distance rough game in my bag...at all.  Definitely need practice hitting out of rough from more than 100 out.

I liked the change since I play Indian Creek every day.   Small Greens at Riverchase and elevation changes teasing my eye on shots.   I had a really good experience.

I will say...I need practice at rough...but I dont think that course is as hard as Indian Lakes or Creeks because of the trees forcing a lot of kick outs for not ace golfers at Indian.

Playing Pecan Hollow tomorrow and Grapevine Muni Wednesday.   I will try Cedar Crest asap.

Joh408...Havent played Firewheel but many golfers have mentioned it and Ironhorse.   Teirra Verde has been mentioned to me too.   Texas Star and Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys golf clubs have been mentioned quiet a bit to me as well.  Ill get to them all at some point.

8 hours ago, Joh408 said:

Have you played any of the Firewheel courses? I usually switch between Firewheel Bridges and Indian Creek. Prices are comparable and the layout and conditions of the 3 9s at Bridges are great, at least when I played a month ago. Played both Indian creek courses for the last few rounds but haven’t played anywhere since the storm.

For my ranking it’d go:

Firewheel Bridges

Indian Creek Creek

Indian Creek Lakes (due to lack of driver holes from the blues)

Firewheel Lakes

Firewheel Old course

Lakes and Old course haven’t been in the best shape the last time I played them but it was last season since I can pretty reliably get a twilight tee time same day for Bridges

Just saw an email that Indian creek will try to open on 6/14 but Lake Lewisville is going to open the damn's this week so might get flooded again so TBD.

14 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Just saw an email that Indian creek will try to open on 6/14 but Lake Lewisville is going to open the damn's this week so might get flooded again so TBD.

Ya I saw that. Their previous email with the pictures was rough so we will see how this goes. One of my friends is a member at Castle Hills so I’ll have to ask them how the drainage goes as well

Played Cedar Crest 3 days ago.  Greens are very slow and several are in really bad shape.  Two of the greens, #4 and #12 actually have mud daubers nesting in them.  There are little holes all over the green with these mud daubers flying in and out, tons of them.  I've never seen that before.  A putt outside 20 feet is really tough to get the ball to the hole.  Some greens you just have to move your ball to a better line to avoid the damage.  It's a shame because I consider it my home course.  Great to walk, history, solid layout, and old-school.  I've really come to appreciate the par 5 14th as one of the best holes in Dallas.  The tee shot is so demanding.  It requires you to hit a high fade over the tree on the right side of the fairway just to be able to hold the right to left sloping fairway.  It then really makes you make a decision on your second shot.  Such a good hole.  Fairways are fantastic.  I'd love to see them bring the putting green back to the front of the clubhouse around the statues.  That would be really great area to hang and work on your putting.  As it is, the putting green is pretty far from the 1st tee which isn't very convenient.  The course actually held the USGA US Senior Open Qualifier there last week, which is impressive, but probably a let down for the participants with the state of the greens.  I don't see them getting the greens back in shape during the summer heat, but hopefully by the fall.  Something is going on over there, considering they've had to replace those greens 3 times, now, in probably the last decade.  Such a great place though.

Edited by Markd1971

On 6/12/2024 at 7:48 AM, Markd1971 said:

Played Cedar Crest 3 days ago.  Greens are very slow and several are in really bad shape.  Two of the greens, #4 and #12 actually have mud daubers nesting in them.  There are little holes all over the green with these mud daubers flying in and out, tons of them.  I've never seen that before.  A putt outside 20 feet is really tough to get the ball to the hole.  Some greens you just have to move your ball to a better line to avoid the damage.  It's a shame because I consider it my home course.  Great to walk, history, solid layout, and old-school.  I've really come to appreciate the par 5 14th as one of the best holes in Dallas.  The tee shot is so demanding.  It requires you to hit a high fade over the tree on the right side of the fairway just to be able to hold the right to left sloping fairway.  It then really makes you make a decision on your second shot.  Such a good hole.  Fairways are fantastic.  I'd love to see them bring the putting green back to the front of the clubhouse around the statues.  That would be really great area to hang and work on your putting.  As it is, the putting green is pretty far from the 1st tee which isn't very convenient.  The course actually held the USGA US Senior Open Qualifier there last week, which is impressive, but probably a let down for the participants with the state of the greens.  I don't see them getting the greens back in shape during the summer heat, but hopefully by the fall.  Something is going on over there, considering they've had to replace those greens 3 times, now, in probably the last decade.  Such a great place though.

What is this, the 4th year in a row where they've lost their greens after renovating them? They need to get someone else in there who knows what they're doing.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G410 3wood Ventus Blue 7x

Ping G410 5wood Tensei CK Orange 70s

Ping i210 4-PW Modus3 125s

Vokey SM8 50F 54S 58K Modus3 125x

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

9 hours ago, cgd2061 said:

What is this, the 4th year in a row where they've lost their greens after renovating them? They need to get someone else in there who knows what they're doing.

Played out there today. Several pins were just in the middle of packed sand/mud, barely any grass. As the above poster said, dealing with burrowing cicada killers on many greens. The practice green is almost totally lost and you get swarmed by the hornets. I hate to be critical but for as much investment and promotion this place has gotten, hard to defend the continued issues with the greens. Shame because it really is a fantastic layout. 

Played Waterchase with @callawayjay today. It is just in spectacular shape. It is one of the most consistently great courses in the metroplex.

New proshop going to break ground in the fall should take just short of a year.

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

13 minutes ago, callawayjay said:

Do urself a favor and get out to Hawks Creek. It cannot be beat right now. @gs1184 and I had a great day today. It’s absolutely in tip top shape. 

Got a tee time on Sunday for Hawks Creek. Haven’t played it yet but very excited. Brother in law lives out that way so trying to hit some Fort Worth courses