2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Jul 04 - 07

I didn't know this; Yealimi is very fortunate to get the sponsor invite.

"The LPGA doesn’t have a top 10 rule for non-members"

[https://twitter.com/GolfweekNichols/status/1148019405055569921](https://twitter.com/GolfweekNichols/status/1148019405055569921 "https://twitter.com/GolfweekNichols/status/1148019405055569921")

> @18majors said:

> @agolf1

> Yealimi cooled down over the weekend but managed to stay inside top-10.

> She seems to drive the ball well and plays long irons and hybrids efficiently. But, her short irons and scrambling seem sub-par.

> The saving grace is her putting, which's solid.

> What do you think?

>

>

>

Sums it up perfectly - on what we have seen so far.

> @hooters714 said:

> Went to Thornberry yesterday with the wife and walked most of the course. Decided to sit at holes 9,10 and 15 most of the day because it seemed that is where most of the spectators were located. I would have to say I was bummed with the lack of spectators but given it is the weekend of July 4th I guess I should not have been surprised. We saw a lot of good golf. Does anyone know if they have signed a extension yet ?

I was speaking to one of the officials on Friday, and the official said that a three year extension was signed.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Well, that was another exciting finish. It's been a good stretch of tournaments over the past few weeks. Shanshan was firing darts with her irons. She could have probably won the event putting with a sledgehammer her iron play was so good. She seemed genuinely relieved to get that winless streak ended.

'Nice to see Ariya playing well, but that bogie on the 15th was awful. Bad drive. Bad approach. Bad putt. That kind of sums up her year so far.

Lol. I came close to predicting a nine under round by Hyo Joo, but she had to spoil it with a bogie on the final hole. Boo. Hiss. 'Nice round, though.

Great week for Yealimi. She did seem a little rattled mid round, but got it together late. 'Not sure what happened on 18 that lead to a bogie. I gotta get me one of those Hana Bank crystal balls.

Yeah, Amy has got the best tempo in the game. Unfortunately she seems to cool off on the back nine too often.

Is it possible Sung Hyun just isn't comfortable with the #1 ranking? She has all the tools in her toolbox, but seems to lose focus at the worst possible moment.

Another quiet top 10 for Kristen. She's not getting the attention she deserves.

How deep is the talent pool? Patty's first event as a pro, and she simply goes out and shoots a course record. Ho hum.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

For those interested in the official yardages. I used my Skycaddie to confirm the distances, and they were correct. The distance listed is measured to the sign behind the teebox, so most holes played 7 to 15 yds shorter unless they specifically mentioned that they were moving the hole up. I was also able to spot check a few holes vs. the yardage markers embedded in the teebox.

I hadn't noticed this before, but on the official driving holes they had spray painted orange yardages every ten yards along the sides of the fairway. I would have figured that the crew would simply use a GPS or laser.

> @18majors said:

> @agolf1

> Yealimi cooled down over the weekend but managed to stay inside top-10.

> She seems to drive the ball well and plays long irons and hybrids efficiently. But, her short irons and scrambling seem sub-par.

> The saving grace is her putting, which's solid.

> What do you think?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch any of this tournament.

What a showing by Noh though. As others have said, I love her attitude (comments on Monday qualifier and winning) and belief in her game. Time will tell if this leads to much success or is looked back upon as youthful arrogance.

> @Argonne69 said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Another quiet top 10 for Kristen. She's not getting the attention she deserves.

>

>

The people who know, knows. You, Beth Ann Nichols and some on this board know Kristen is an under the radar talent.

Her time will come, she'll move up to inside top 60 Rolex Ranking this week; inching closer to qualify for Solheim Cup via top 2 Americans who haven't otherwise qualified.

Yealimi Noh, if she're a member, would've jumped to No. 103 on money list; ahead of Brittany Lincicome, Mo Martin and Jennifer Kupcho.

Also, she's added almost 3,000 new Instagram followers in one week; to 6,600.

She made Korean news again:

![](http://photo.hankooki.com/webdownphoto/gisa/2019/07/08/20190708101612_1_golfhankook_s.jpg "")

Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> @fanofseri said:

> The most overrated sports fans in the world showed their true colors this week.

I assume you mean the Green Bay fans? With the holiday weekend, I'm not shocked at the turnout. The fans that were there on Friday were very supportive of the players.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

>

> Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @fanofseri said:

> > The most overrated sports fans in the world showed their true colors this week.

>

> I assume you mean the Green Bay fans? With the holiday weekend, I'm not shocked at the turnout. The fans that were there on Friday were very supportive of the players.

>

I was there Saturday... I thought the turnout was pretty good considering it was raining all morning...

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> >

> > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

>

> Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

> @Argonne69 said:

> Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

Yes and No, they don't count for anything of real consquence except if the player accumulates enough money to finish inside the Top 40 on the moneylist at the end of the year. They LPGA made a statement when Brooke was doing the same thing at Yellani's age, that the unofficial money Brooke made would count for her card if she earned enough to be in the top 40 by season's end (she had made enough even before she won in Portland), but outside that the money earned will disappear forever except where it counts in Yellani's bank account. Brooke was a couple hundred thousand away from a million after winning Portland and then she was given membership and all that money disappeared forever from Brooke's official numbers and official career earnings. Her rookie year consisted of 3 events and an 8th place finish (or worse) for rookie standings cause all non-member stuff is wiped out.

I'm not sure about Yellani's management situation but Brooke was an IMG baby and had her 6 sponsor's exemption planned out basically before the season started, so planning out a Monday qualifying sched. and when to play Symetra was easier to decide. Yellani seems to be free-wheeling it a bit more and it would have been nice for her if she had a few more sponsors exemptions earlier in the year, there's not really enough events for her to max out her sponsor's exemptions right now, so that means Yellani will just have to do it the old fashion way and win.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > >

> > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> >

> > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

>

> Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

I don't believe they get any special treatment because they deferred membership.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > >

> > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> >

> > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

>

> Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

As @Argonne69 mentioned, no special considerations because it's their own decisions.

As far as inflation, top-40 was $410,000 3 years ago but was almost $500,000 last year; more than 10% a year.

To be safe, player should count on $230,000 for top-80 and $130,000 for top-100.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> > >

> > > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> > Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

> >

> > Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

>

> I don't believe they get any special treatment because they deferred membership.

Are the fall events in Asia subject to different qualifying/eligibility (believe they were before but I don't know what it was)? There are nine tournaments left before the Shanghai tournament. This includes the Evian and Women's Open (harder to get into?) and the Scottish (may be painful/expensive for marginal players to make the trip if they aren't already playing in the other two across the Atlantic)?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> > > >

> > > > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > > > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> > > Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

> > >

> > > Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

> >

> > I don't believe they get any special treatment because they deferred membership.

> Are the fall events in Asia subject to different qualifying/eligibility (believe they were before but I don't know what it was)? There are nine tournaments left before the Shanghai tournament. This includes the Evian and Women's Open (harder to get into?) and the Scottish (may be painful/expensive for marginal players to make the trip if they aren't already playing in the other two across the Atlantic)?

Yes, the season ending Asian swing is based on your position on the moneylist

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> > >

> > > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> > Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

> >

> > Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

>

> As @Argonne69 mentioned, no special considerations because it's their own decisions.

> As far as inflation, top-40 was $410,000 3 years ago but was almost $500,000 last year; more than 10% a year.

> To be safe, player should count on $230,000 for top-80 and $130,000 for top-100.

The LPGA release at the beginning of the year had prize money up from $65.35 MM in 2018 to $70.55 MM in 2019, or up ~8%. This was before the Women's Open number that you posted in the other thread. So what you mention for cutoff figures is probably about right.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > Do Yealimi's earnings count towards status on the tour?

> > > > > She's not a member, correct? If not, I think she either needs to use category 7 (win a tournament) or category 10 (non-member top 40 money)? I am not 100% sure though.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit: i.e. the other cutoffs of Top 80 or 81-100 don't apply for her?

> > > >

> > > > Yes, Yealimi's earnings won't count because she isn't a member.

> > > > In Gee Chun won 2015 US Women's Open and won $810,000; those money isn't counted in her career earnings after she became a member.

> > > Somewhat related question, are there any provisions for players like Fassi and Kupcho who qualified last year but deferred to play their final year in college? Or, the fact that they have fewer tournaments this season to earn $$$ since they turned pro is their own problem? I.e. if they don't clear Top 80 or Top 100 they need to go through Q-school again?

> > >

> > > Fassi is in a decent spot already vs. where the Top 80 (~$200k) and Top 100 (~$110k) were last year (I'm not sure what the cumulative purse inflation is this year).

> >

> > As @Argonne69 mentioned, no special considerations because it's their own decisions.

> > As far as inflation, top-40 was $410,000 3 years ago but was almost $500,000 last year; more than 10% a year.

> > To be safe, player should count on $230,000 for top-80 and $130,000 for top-100.

> The LPGA release at the beginning of the year had prize money up from $65.35 MM in 2018 to $70.55 MM in 2019, or up ~8%. This was before the Women's Open number that you posted in the other thread. So what you mention for cutoff figures is probably about right.

I'm the most impressed by Kristen Gillman; who's already made $274,578 as a rookie.

By comparison, Nelly Korda made $442,068 in total when she's a rookie in 2017.

Of course, there're differences. Nelly was a high school graduate at 17 and Kristen a college graduate at 21.

Crazy tournament. Like Wildfire, this "resort" course has little defense for the players, and I just don't see a way to bring down scoring unless they simply trick it up. There aren't many crowns in the greens, so crazy pin positions are few. The fairways are wide. They could grow out the rough more, but I think that would have limited effect. Shanshan hit 75% of her fairways while averaging 259 yds. Tiffany hit 82%. Yealimi managed 84% while averaging 270 yds. The course already plays over 6600 yds (officially). I doubt they'd want to add more length.