Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

8 hours ago, propman said:

Little hesitant to post this. Last saturday at Cog no. 1, 8th hole, par 3, 230yds to flag, got this close to my first HI1.

20220611_160625.jpg.6c3b849d03fd71db22134c6bc7895be8.jpg

Great job fighting gravity and getting that one to stay there.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

45 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I just do not understand how it takes anybody 5 hours to play a round of golf, let alone take that for 14 holes.

I realize this isn’t a question (rhetorical statement? Is that a thing?) but I’ve always contended four major factors lead to super slow play:

1) Bad golf and/or not knowing one’s limitations and playing from the wrong tees. Every dumb Bro wants to play from the tips. They shouldn’t be anywhere near those markers but, hey, remember that one time they nuked a drive 290? That swing is gonna return one day. Sure. 
2) It’s a conscious decision by some. Hate their wives, avoid their kids, are miserable and want other people to be miserable as well. 

3) Farting around on the greens like they’re on tour. That includes people marking two footers, looking at putts from every angle then zooming it past anyway, playing for money or a dumb trophy or something. 
4) Driving to each other’s ball. The Benny Hill sketch come to life that Bear referenced a while ago. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

17 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

I realize this isn’t a question (rhetorical statement? Is that a thing?) but I’ve always contended four major factors lead to super slow play:

1) Bad golf and/or not knowing one’s limitations and playing from the wrong tees. Every dumb Bro wants to play from the tips. They shouldn’t be anywhere near those markers but, hey, remember that one time they nuked a drive 290? That swing is gonna return one day. Sure. 
2) It’s a conscious decision by some. Hate their wives, avoid their kids, are miserable and want other people to be miserable as well. 

3) Farting around on the greens like they’re on tour. That includes people marking two footers, looking at putts from every angle then zooming it past anyway, playing for money or a dumb trophy or something. 
4) Driving to each other’s ball. The Benny Hill sketch come to life that Bear referenced a while ago. 

You nailed it.   Every clown out at Maple were playing the blue tees.  6400 isn't terribly long,  except it's a par 70.   The idiots we were behind did everything you mentioned,  and they were hardly the problem.

Stonehenge on the other hand,  most of the golfers there are bad,  but they're on the right tee,  they pick up and move on ect.  That place is proof a busy course is capable of a sub 4 hour pace,  hell a sub 3:30 pace. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I'll add simply taking to long over each shot. I played with a guy a few weeks ago, and I timed him on a number of shots. He was taking over a minute to hit the ball. 'Not a big deal if you're on your way to a sweet 65, but he was on track to shoot 105. 'Just super slow in everything he did. We teed off behind a fivesome, and while I thought the group ahead would become a problem, they were out of sight within a few holes. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

11 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I just do not understand how it takes anybody 5 hours to play a round of golf

one of our main motivators to play at sunrise was this.

we maintain a reputation for getting in and out at a reasonable time.

love to see all the regulars waiting to tee off at 9-ish while we walk off and head to breakfast.

have been told our course had and may still have an early Sunday am group than cannot manage to get a round in under 4:30.

it's not justified to bog down an entire venue.

worse if the course won't reset the slow groups.

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Bolingbrook for the first time yesterday with some guys from work and it was a great time but I was kind of mixed on the course. Condition wise it was in good shape but what surprised me was how unreceptive the greens were. First two holes I hit solid wedges into only to see the first bounce look like it hit a trampoline and have both shots end up over the green. This happened a few times throughout the round and I struggled to adjust as did the guys I played with. I can't remember the hole # on the back but I purposely landed an LW 5 yards short which ended up pin high...roughly 35-40 feet after where it landed. 

In terms of the game, awful would be the appropriate synopsis. No fairways or greens hit on the front 9 with 4 doubles and a bogey. Had a severe hook going with pretty much everything but the wedges and when I would adjust...shockingly I'd end up blocking it or come out of it and hit a fade. Thankfully amateurs don't have shot tracer or the visuals from yesterday would have been brutal to see.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

3 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

one of our main motivators to play at sunrise was this.

we maintain a reputation for getting in and out at a reasonable time.

love to see all the regulars waiting to tee off at 9-ish while we walk off and head to breakfast.

have been told our course had and may still have an early Sunday am group than cannot manage to get a round in under 4:30.

it's not justified to bog down an entire venue.

worse if the course won't reset the slow groups.

That's part of why I joined Stonehenge, which also lets me play Old Wayne.  Neither course are anything specia (although Stonehenge is tough as nails from the tips)l, but if I need a decent last minute tee time or just want to get around quick I can hit up either course.  Pace at both courses tend to run around 3:30 or under regardless of day/time you go off.  It's also nice that they're daily fee courses so if you get around and the course is dead you can go right back out.  Only downside is I'm 45+ minutes from Stonehenge, but yesterday I drove there, played 27, drove back in what would have been the same time it took to play 18 at Maple (if we stayed out). 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, AUTIGER07 said:

Played Bolingbrook for the first time yesterday with some guys from work and it was a great time but I was kind of mixed on the course. Condition wise it was in good shape but what surprised me was how unreceptive the greens were. First two holes I hit solid wedges into only to see the first bounce look like it hit a trampoline and have both shots end up over the green. This happened a few times throughout the round and I struggled to adjust as did the guys I played with. I can't remember the hole # on the back but I purposely landed an LW 5 yards short which ended up pin high...roughly 35-40 feet after where it landed. 

In terms of the game, awful would be the appropriate synopsis. No fairways or greens hit on the front 9 with 4 doubles and a bogey. Had a severe hook going with pretty much everything but the wedges and when I would adjust...shockingly I'd end up blocking it or come out of it and hit a fade. Thankfully amateurs don't have shot tracer or the visuals from yesterday would have been brutal to see.

Bolingbrook can get extremely firm this time of year, especially with no rain.  There's nothing out there to prevent things from drying out.  When I lived out that way I loved playing it for that reason (the layout not so much), I felt like a longer hitter with that 50+ yards of roll and being able to get to par 5's with an iron or reaching #5 with a couple good pokes.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

10 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Bolingbrook can get extremely firm this time of year, especially with no rain.  There's nothing out there to prevent things from drying out.  When I lived out that way I loved playing it for that reason (the layout not so much), I felt like a longer hitter with that 50+ yards of roll and being able to get to par 5's with an iron or reaching #5 with a couple good pokes.  

It was definitely firm.

I didn't play well but we played the blues and I had a 6i into #3, hit LW into #11 after a 3i off the tee, and took it over the corner on #12 and had a 6i in. Being downwind helped on all 3 holes but turning around back into made for some brutal shots in the back half of both sides.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

On 6/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, jcook10 said:

As I’m sitting on my couch watching US Open coverage because I could not get a reasonable tee time today, I wonder how many days in advance are you gentlemen booking your tee times?? It used to be Sunday-Monday for the following Saturday-Sunday and now it seems like 14 days is the only way. Just wondering what everyone does. Normally like to play really early at HoE, Sunset Valley, Schaumburg, Stonewall,  Prairie Bluff, Blackstone. The usual suspects in better shape than most. 

I'm allowed to make tee times a month in advance up here at Brighton Dale Links in Kenosha County.   I make sure to get the 6am on whatever course we are playing and we usually take off around 5:45.   We had a foursome Saturday and finished before 9.   Yesterday we played a threesome and finished quarter after 8.   The course is in great shape but the greens are really taking a beating.  I bet I fix half a dozen ball marks on every green.   I talked to the pro Sunday morning and they had over 500 rounds go out on Saturday.  I'm guessing they were close to the same on Sunday.  Both courses tee boxes were 3 groups deep waiting to go off when we came off the course.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Played Marengo Ridge yesterday with my son.  Place was packed and with a 6:12am tee time, we did not tee off until about 6:35am.  That being said, the round flew...four hours flat on Father's Day with a packed course?  I'll take it!

Every year, it feels like the trees become a little more overgrown.  Fairways were plenty nice but there were some rough spots on greens.  One of the two guys we were paired up with said it is for sale, not sure if that is accurate.  The lady that owns it is super nice.  For now, this has become tradition for us so hopefully it can continue on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

Played Marengo Ridge yesterday with my son.  Place was packed and with a 6:12am tee time, we did not tee off until about 6:35am.  That being said, the round flew...four hours flat on Father's Day with a packed course?  I'll take it!

Every year, it feels like the trees become a little more overgrown.  Fairways were plenty nice but there were some rough spots on greens.  One of the two guys we were paired up with said it is for sale, not sure if that is accurate.  The lady that owns it is super nice.  For now, this has become tradition for us so hopefully it can continue on...

Did Bob Witek sell the course? He's owned it since the late 70's if my old memory is working properly.

Greetings from SW Michigan, where the gas is under $5 per gallon and the course footprints are absolutely massive. We played Beeches and Heritage Glen today and both were in excellent shape. We were playing right behind the guy rolling the greens at Beeches so they were quite firm and very smooth. That was needed because the greens at Beeches are comically large and feature a buried brontosaurus under most. Ball striking was excellent with 3 birdies on 8, 11 and 16 and bogies on 4 and 12 for a 71. The walk was a shade under 3 hours. 
Heritage Glen was excellent. It’s much tighter than most of the sprawling courses around here but aesthetically it was outstanding. I can definitely see why it claims to be one of Michigan’s most scenic courses. It’s a woodland/parkland layout with a few prairie-style holes mixed in. Overall, it felt like a nicer Blackthorn. The greens were again very smooth though they weren’t running with the same pace as Beeches. Probably closer to 9 or 9.5. Two more birdies on 5 and 16, including probably the best 7 iron I’ve ever hit. From 172 out on the 16th tee, I stuffed my tee shot to 3 feet and made the putt. Four bogies (7, 12, 17 and 18) for a 74. The Medalist and Angel’s Crossing tomorrow. High of 99° in Kalamazoo so we might die. We’ll probably just do the smart thing and take a cart at Angel’s. 

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood II

Anyone have insights into what's happened with Big Run. Per multiple brokerage sites, the course is back up for sale and while they reference the approved development, that previous deal seems to have vanished.   Here's a link to the pdf if anyone is interested in buying it and keeping it as a golf course.

https://www.commercialsearch.com/pdfs/6403A15A-AE30-41E4-B067-984F5707743A

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Anyone have insights into what's happened with Big Run. Per multiple brokerage sites, the course is back up for sale and while they reference the approved development, that previous deal seems to have vanished.   Here's a link to the pdf if anyone is interested in buying it and keeping it as a golf course.

Looks like the original deal fell through. Right now is probably not the time to start a new development given some, umm, market volatility at the moment. The water rights decision opened up the chance for more homes and less courses in the area but there’s nothing sadder than seeing a golf course get sold for development and then just kinda sit there and get overgrown. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Don’t know it’s back for sale but I’m playing it Friday

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

40 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Looks like the original deal fell through. Right now is probably not the time to start a new development given some, umm, market volatility at the moment. The water rights decision opened up the chance for more homes and less courses in the area but there’s nothing sadder than seeing a golf course get sold for development and then just kinda sit there and get overgrown. 

That should mean it'll be open for at least another 2-3 years.  Doubt there would be too many cash buyers at this point and financing would be a b**** right now. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Don't advertise a continental breakfast and then not have anything out until 6:30? We're out the door by 6:00 

I buy those single serve OJ's and fruit for the mornings.

get real food after the round.

many courses greet very early golfers with either just coffee or whatever is available in the 'pay-for' cooler.

last weekend I passed three DD and Starbucks before golf and none were open.

I guess 4:30 is a bit early to staff.

the diner type spots nearby are packed at 9am. so I just order, grab and go.

on nice days, I'd rather eat somewhere quiet , play some music and relax while I clean the clubs.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

19 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

do they still have the old lady making those amazing bacon/egg and cheese sandwiches in the back?    Well worth the trade off of not having a range.

Played Midlothian CC yesterday.  Big fan of the old school designs, probably because I'm old and went to school.  

The range was functional, a lot like Oak Grove with just a huge arse piece of land and not a lot of targets.  The range balls were clean, thank you.  There is a short game area although I didn't have time to use it.  The practice green was reflective of what you'd find on the course.  

Overall, conditions were immaculate and they redesigned the bunkers a year ago and they were filled with "Pro Angle Sand," whatever that means.  Was probably in 3-4 bunkers and the ball sat very nicely and was playable.  There are a lot of raised tiny greens though so you might be 10-12 feet below a green in the bunkers.  Generally the greens were receptive to a highly flighted shot but something low was going to run through unless there was a ton of spin on your shot. Not a lot of water on the course although what is there comes into play. For you big hitters, the tips would be pretty easy but for us guys who hit it 230-240 off the tee, the 225 yard par 3's on the front are a lot to deal with along with 7 par 4's in the 420-435 range.  The fairways were tightish and well bunkered, but the rough was playable. There were blind shots on several holes and our young caddie either wasn't knowledgeable enough or comfortable enough to suggest lines.

After the bunkering, the defense of the course was the greens/green complexes.  Being in the wrong spot long or to one side was not going to be an easy up and down.  There were a few holes where you could run the ball on the green but others also had a bunker protecting the front.  Nice elevation changes as well.

The course has hosted a US Open and I can only imagine how tight it was for the fans as the course isn't on a large piece of land at all.

The clubhouse was recently remodeled and is very nice.  Also old school with a traditional men's grill, very nice locker room, and friendly staff.

Not sure this would be the club for me but I really enjoyed the course and would love to play it again.

• Like 4

Fun round this morning at Countryside Prairie with Bear and our friend from Pittsburgh. The first round after Michigan is always a bit of a letdown unless I play a top-tier course but Countryside is well-maintained and it's always fun to just unload off the tee there. The greens had been cut and rolled and the bunkers had fresh sand. The rough is starting to brown in spots but wasn't rock hard or anything while the fairways were giving some roll but are getting plenty of water overnight. Three birdies on 6, 7, and 14 for a 71. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

I drove out to the quad cities last week to check out a new course (for me), and also play TPC Deere Run with the stands up for the tour stop next week.

Let me start out by saying that the new Fyre Lake is a GEM.  They had a fathers day special running on Sunday, and when it was all said and done we got in 27 holes for $37/each.  Crazy value for a course with a laid back vibe and a fantastic layout.  The back 9 was especially appealing with all of the waterfront holes, highlighted by the 14th with an island green.

This was my 2nd time out to TPC Deere Run, and I think I favored the $60 round I played back in November of 2020 to the $140 that was required on Monday.  The course was in fantastic shape for the upcoming tournament but I felt like I had broken something being charged that much for the experience that was presented.  This can be said about a lot of courses post-pandemic, but if you're charging that much and you don't have the halfway house open, you need to at least leave coolers of water out on the course for people.  We saw the cart girl once on the front 9 and then again on the 18th tee.  I still loved the course, but the service level was extremely lacking this time around.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Playing Blackstone in Marengo tomorrow. I’ve driven by it many times going to Marengo Ridge and said to myself I should play there. I went there today for a Sub 70 demo day and after trying some great clubs went and took a look at the course from the club house. Looks even better than from the road driving by. Looking forward to playing tomorrow and hopefully the rain stays away.

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11