Tourstriker Planemate

been using my PM for wedge work as i have been feeling sloppy. I think that is one of the best uses for the PM

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, tinman143 said:

I haven’t even gone to the range yet. Hopefully tomorrow so we’ll see. I’m playing on Monday but I don’t think I’ll be ready especially with the long clubs. 

Oh did you just start using it? Yeah it takes a awhile to bleed over like any swing change. I've had mine for well over a year probably two at this point and I still have to work at my swing. I think golf just requires constant maintenance in general but the better your mechanics are, the less you have to keep an eye on. I've hit some crazy good shots so I know I'm trending in the right direction, but still hit a couple head scratchers during a round. The grind continues. 

4 hours ago, naj959 said:

Oh did you just start using it? Yeah it takes a awhile to bleed over like any swing change. I've had mine for well over a year probably two at this point and I still have to work at my swing. I think golf just requires constant maintenance in general but the better your mechanics are, the less you have to keep an eye on. I've hit some crazy good shots so I know I'm trending in the right direction, but still hit a couple head scratchers during a round. The grind continues. 

i bought one last year and returned it within the window. Just got another one last week and want to commit more to it this time around. We shall see as they say…

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having gone through the protocols and 2 weeks with the PM, my pitching and chipping has definitely improved. When it comes to full swings with mid irons though, I am struggling with heel strikes and wrist conditions at impact. How does one keep their lead wrist in flexion through to P8 with the PM? I've been a chronic handle puller in the past, so I am assuming it's to do with how far the butt of the club is to my body through the downswing. Any others with this issue? 

• 2 months later...

Have been a long time lurker on this thread and admirer of the PM, finally got myself one for Christmas. I have essentially been a giant idiot for the last 18 months or so chasing speed and have got very steep and flippy. Have been doing Monte's NTC for the last 8 months with varying levels of success.

Initial reaction is that this is a very good, echoing the sentiment of thread. Adding a mirror behind to see position at the top and how to relax the band has been a great help. Have also found that sticking to 30-40min sessions is better, anything longer and then band seems to not be as effective, overpowering or otherwise.  

Echoing above, what cue have you used to relax the band at the top? I have always been a motorbike move with left hand (RH golfer) but this seems to not relax the band as much as needed and I need to actively move my trail hand more.

11 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Have been a long time lurker on this thread and admirer of the PM, finally got myself one for Christmas. I have essentially been a giant idiot for the last 18 months or so chasing speed and have got very steep and flippy. Have been doing Monte's NTC for the last 8 months with varying levels of success.

Initial reaction is that this is a very good, echoing the sentiment of thread. Adding a mirror behind to see position at the top and how to relax the band has been a great help. Have also found that sticking to 30-40min sessions is better, anything longer and then band seems to not be as effective, overpowering or otherwise.  

Echoing above, what cue have you used to relax the band at the top? I have always been a motorbike move with left hand (RH golfer) but this seems to not relax the band as much as needed and I need to actively move my trail hand more.

David Woods (co-inventor), says you can either feel like you leave the hands up and use the lower body or use a slight wrist movement to shallow. Band doesn't need to get crazy loose but enough too lose the tension created. I prefer the feel of doing nothing with my hands and arms and just feeling them relax for a split second while I get weight in my front heel and start opening that hip; if that makes sense. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone using the PM while putting? I've been struggling with pulls as of late and had an epiphany to slap this thing on my putter 5 minutes ago. First couple rolls across the living room seem very promising! The release fells different then what I'm used to. Hope to get out to the course in a bit. Haven't seen it covered on any of the TourStriker social media. I'm going to DM Martin and get his thoughts. 

• 3 weeks later...

anyone knows whether both of the arms should be straighten or is it alright for the left arm to be slightly bend at the finishing move?

i have been using it a week and it has been tremendously helpful for my swing. Before getting the planemate i had issues with very inwards outswing, steep downswing and out to in swing path. When i got the planemate i have been religiously following the 7 day protocol im finally able to see a draw. i do not have the issue of the band hitting my hands or being tangled by it, but day 5 helped me out really well. when i occasionally have an out to in path and been fatting/thinning it,  i will go back to day 1 and work my way up to day 5.

i know the price has really gone up but i feel like it is all worth it since its probably worth 3 lessons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been on a very frustrating swing transformation journey for the better part of 2 years, maybe longer.  I've found Monte, Dr. Kwon, Milo, along with a lot of other instructors online that I've taken bits and pieces from.  I finally got some online coaching this year and even that isn't making any difference in my game.  I'm grasping at straws before I end up just giving up on golf.  I was thinking about trying this out, but I don't know if this would even help me.  My main issues are lazy backswing, getting the timing/pressure shift correct in transition and subsequently not getting in a position that I can deliver the club from a shallow angle of attack. Part of my issue is that I have a family and that always takes priority over going to the range or playing a round, so I don't have much practice time. I almost don't want something else to give me hope, just to be let down again.  I know no one has a crystal ball to predict whether or not this would help me, but does it have the potential to help correct my issues enough to make a difference?

12 minutes ago, ZGriswold83 said:

I've been on a very frustrating swing transformation journey for the better part of 2 years, maybe longer.  I've found Monte, Dr. Kwon, Milo, along with a lot of other instructors online that I've taken bits and pieces from.  I finally got some online coaching this year and even that isn't making any difference in my game.  I'm grasping at straws before I end up just giving up on golf.  I was thinking about trying this out, but I don't know if this would even help me.  My main issues are lazy backswing, getting the timing/pressure shift correct in transition and subsequently not getting in a position that I can deliver the club from a shallow angle of attack. Part of my issue is that I have a family and that always takes priority over going to the range or playing a round, so I don't have much practice time. I almost don't want something else to give me hope, just to be let down again.  I know no one has a crystal ball to predict whether or not this would help me, but does it have the potential to help correct my issues enough to make a difference?

Speaking from someone that can empathize, I don't think this tool is better/more affective for you vs the online instruction path you've already explored. Sorry but that's my opinion.

4 hours ago, ZGriswold83 said:

I sympathize for your situation. Unfortunately, without range time, I don't see it making a huge difference. I made dry swings with my PM for months and it didn't really translate into on course play. When I started actually using it at the range is when I saw the most improvement. Any chance you can set up a net and some type of launch monitor at home?

5 hours ago, ZGriswold83 said:

If you aren’t practicing somewhat regularly it’s going to be hard to improve with almost any training aid or without one.

If you can hit nerf balls in the house this might be able to help

On 6/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, ZGriswold83 said:

I feel for you.  At one point about 5 years ago I was on the verge of giving up.  I’d had 150 lessons with a pro who teaches many of the best players in the county and put in 1,000 hours of range time in the preceding 5 years.  At the end of it I couldn’t break 90 most days and was much worse.  

I tried a few different pros after that which got me back in the 80’s most days with a score in the 70’s every 15-20 rounds.  I also have over 30 training aids that mostly gather dust in the closet.

Then I brought the Mike Bender book and practiced his drills.  The first time a book ever helped my full swing.  That got me scoring in the 70’s about half the time.  But then my facet joints on the right side got sore from the stuff I was doing to get very inside and I also started getting straight blocks right rather than nice push draws and my scores in the 70’s started drying up.

Last year I tried a plane truth instructor who fixed that (along with using a hackmotion) and got me scoring in the 70’s more than ever.  For a weak out of shape guy with a very degenerated back and who’s nearly 60 I was delighted and heading towards what looked like a 2-4 handicap.  Seeing the ball fly longer and straighter than in many years while being solid with my wedges and putter was just so good.  

Then a few bad lessons from him and I lost it all the last 8 months.  In my desperation to refund it tried various new instructors to limited benefit and lots of practice.  I was so fed up I thought about giving up again.  When fellow golfers sympathised and said don’t worry you’ll get it back I just got annoyed.  Felt like it would never come back.  I was completely lost and frantically searching.  

In recent weeks there are signs of life.  I’m rediscovering what I had last year and I’m fixing my takeaway which had become far too club out and the rest of my backswing and right wrist extension.  It’s been a long journey.  Been using a tour rotation stick, had a good session with a bio mechanics guy and been restudying some of the athletic motion stuff keeping my arms more in front of me in the swing again as well as using a bit of pro sendr.  Stumbling back into this all has been tough.  

Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it but those days on a beautiful course when that stupid little ball largely goes where it should do are just so good.  Probably you’ll find your way if you keep working and thinking about how to fix your game but it would be entirely understandable if the frustration got you doing something else instead.  The plane mate looks like a decent tool but I am not convinced it fixes every combination of faults - I shallow well and don’t roll my arms on my takeaway for example.  

It’ll probably do my head in one time too many at some point but for now at least the addiction lives on! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, bt1717 said:

Any long term users of the Planemate want to share their updates? 

I guess I'll chime in. I don't want to dominate the discussion but it seems like I'm the only one still active in the thread. Long story short, my handicap has dropped from a 15 to a 7.6 according to 18 birdies. (I play a lot of solo 9 hole rounds so not sure about the accuracy of the cap) The PM has helped a ton but I can't attribute all of my improvement to it. I've taken ownership of my game and worked on every aspect. I've read some course management books, cured my chipping yips, and committed to using my Seemore putter and cut down my total putts. Missing in the right spots and being able to consistently get up and down have probably been the gamechangers for me. All of that being said, I'd absolutely buy my PM again. It taught me how to pivot and shift pressure better because if I don't, I'll shank it. I also feel like partial wedge shots and taking some off an iron have become strengths of mine as a result of hitting tons of them in practice. Driver is the last piece of the puzzle that needs to come together. When it's on I can hit the center stripe on command but when It's off I'm in the adjacent fairway. 

• Like 3

I'll chime in as well, have been using PM for 7 months now and for me the best use has been half and 3/4 wedges. Some of the arm structure in the protocols has helped to hit the ball higher in my full swing but don't need the actual device for that.

I'd say its pretty okay to good in helping engrain a better body pivot and poor in how to release the hands. Fwiw, Monte's Broom Force has been the lightbulb for the release pattern for me. 

Edited by Caesar's shank
typo
  • Like 2