Tourstriker Planemate

2 hours ago, Pearlwhites said:

After 2 weeks with the PM and also watching Monte’s, I think they both go hand in hand.  The PM definitely helped me avoid the casting move I had ingrained.  Monte’s video helps to understand a lot of what PM helps you feel.  I say stick with it!

Possibly but you can't use the plane mate on the golf course and If it makes you (hate to say the word) shank & seeing as lots of people were at least wanting one to learn to shank probably at least get your money back.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, Asizzle10 said:

1 WEEK UPDATE: I got my Planemate a week ago.  I have done protocols 1 and 2 everyday in my garage simulator.  I mixed in a bit of Protocol 3 but never with a full swing, i had to stop at P2 and shallow...stop...then swing through.

Today I hit balls at the range for the first time since getting the planemate and it was the best session I've ever had.  No flip, pull, hook, overdraw.  Each ball had little to no curve. I'm guessing I've gained distance but hard to tell as the hitting area was 40 yds in front of the normal spot on the range today.  

I didn't try to shallow the club and I'm guessing I'm not doing that but at this point I don't care.  I feel like my backswing (inside/overswing) has been fixed and my impact position is the best it's ever been.  

Is the shallowing feel "automatic" after doing protocol 3 enough or do you have to consciously do it each time.  Having some issues with that. 

I got mine about a week ago as well.  I did the protocols in my backyard with whiffle balls for the first 5 days.  I've taken it to the range twice now and my initial optimism is a bit deflated.  

For some reason transitioning to a full swing and hitting real balls is a challenge for me.  My hit impulse takes over and I wind up flipping it no matter how much I try to deliver the swing with the lower body.  My dreaded slice came back in full effect.  I guess I need to go back to the first few protocols.  I feel pretty confident with the short shots but I can't train myself get that shallow move quite yet with a full swing.

Also, I'm not feeling the ghost arms sensation that people describe.  Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by MrHateCoffee

On 9/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, MrHateCoffee said:

I got mine about a week ago as well.  I did the protocols in my backyard with whiffle balls for the first 5 days.  I've taken it to the range twice now and my initial optimism is a bit deflated.  

For some reason transitioning to a full swing and hitting real balls is a challenge for me.  My hit impulse takes over and I wind up flipping it no matter how much I try to deliver the swing with the lower body.  My dreaded slice came back in full effect.  I guess I need to go back to the first few protocols.  I feel pretty confident with the short shots but I can't train myself get that shallow move quite yet with a full swing.

Also, I'm not feeling the ghost arms sensation that people describe.  Am I doing something wrong?

Are you sure you have the PM tensioned correctly?  After 30 reps in any of the protocols, if you unhook your club and repeat the protocol without the tension you should have some sort of “ghost arms.”  Try mounting the connection farther down?

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, MrHateCoffee said:

I think it’s all about repetitions. I must have done 500 of the “swings” from protocols 1-3. When I took it off I was hitting some left but I wasn’t flipping, I was maintaining that “wedge”

they talk about. 

Today I did have a setback but I also haven’t used the planemate in a week, I got cocky. Bach to protocol 1 tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, naj959 said:

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you're hitting pulls with the 9 to 3 type of swing? This happens to be from time to time and it's from not rotating enough through the shot. Pivot stalls at impact and the arms keep going but I hold the angle so that band doesn't tangle up. I hit punch shots focusing on rotating through until I can get the start line I want.

As for your second question, I had an amazing stretch where I was on auto pilot with the PM. Used it daily for a year. Then after awhile I didn't get the feels anymore; No more ghost arms. Play started to deteriorate and I couldn't get my ball striking back not matter how many protocol reps I put in. Long story short, I put up my PM and went back to my notes I have from my lessons from Iteach. Figured out the issue and how I was able to cheat the PM. Got back on track after a few range sessions. Had 6 birdies yesterday so I'm happy with my game despite not using my PM in months. I guess what I'm trying to say is the PM is great at refining a swing with already solid fundamentals. When I'm swinging well I can still feel the stretch the band and relax in my swing. But it is possible to cheat the band and not have it tangle and still have a big flaw going on.

Benjo009, I had the same issue - after extensive use of the PM, my misses were pulls (or pull hooks).  I got a lesson and it turned out that I wasn't rotating through, just like naj959 said.  A range session got that problem solved.  It can be easy for me to get lazy with my swing and overuse my arms while not driving my downswing with a full hip rotation.  That's a bad habit and causes early extension and flipping, which leads to inconsistent striking.  Long story short, make sure you're getting a good hip rotation from the start of the downswing.

• Like 2

Any users still read this thread? I had stopped using the PM but think I am going to start again -- I had some lessons and was focused on those feels. Used PM today and PM does seem to reinforce those feels.

Question is using PM for driver and seeing if that has worked for others? Part of the reason I stopped using PM was that I felt like it was affecting my driver swing (not for the better).  I was curious if others have seen the benefits with PM and their driver. 

@acekun I haven't used mine all that much this year. I was using it with driver last year and had some of my best driving rounds. Nice penetrating trajectory, "heavy hit" if that makes sense. The problem was, I was hitting driver and 3 wood very well but my irons and wedges were all over the place. I had to go back to things I was working on with Iteach and some things I picked up from Monte's Efficient Swing.

So I'm kind of at a loss because the PM driver swing feels very body driven while the things I do to hit crisp irons feels more handsy. I've shot a few career low rounds this year with the more handsy feel but the driver doesn't feel as good as when I was using the PM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naj959 said:

@acekun I haven't used mine all that much this year. I was using it with driver last year and had some of my best driving rounds. Nice penetrating trajectory, "heavy hit" if that makes sense. The problem was, I was hitting driver and 3 wood very well but my irons and wedges were all over the place. I had to go back to things I was working on with Iteach and some things I picked up from Monte's Efficient Swing.

So I'm kind of at a loss because the PM driver swing feels very body driven while the things I do to hit crisp irons feels more handsy. I've shot a few career low rounds this year with the more handsy feel but the driver doesn't feel as good as when I was using the PM.

I actually stopped using planemate for similar reasons -- it did feel more body driven. Just throwing the hands felt more comfortable but I felt like I was topping out in my speed because I wasn't utilizing the rest of my body well enough. So I'm thinking of going back to trying the planemate. But it's interesting that the planemate helped your driver but caused problems with irons -- I was exact opposite. Hoping I can figure out the driver this time.

13 hours ago, acekun said:

I actually stopped using planemate for similar reasons -- it did feel more body driven. Just throwing the hands felt more comfortable but I felt like I was topping out in my speed because I wasn't utilizing the rest of my body well enough. So I'm thinking of going back to trying the planemate. But it's interesting that the planemate helped your driver but caused problems with irons -- I was exact opposite. Hoping I can figure out the driver this time.

When I first started using my PM I was hitting everything really well but my old flaw did re-emerge because I stopped consciously keeping it in check. My tendency is to have an outside take away and not bend my trail wrist soon enough. Kind of the opposite of most who suck the club inside. So I'm still able to feel the stretch in the takeaway even though I'm out of position. Some times I could time it and shallow enough to get reasonable alignments but it's much easier to shallow from a more on plane position....at least for me. So with Driver I had enough time to get it where it needed to be but irons were coming in super steep. Took me a while to figure all this out and I was getting frustrating using my PM daily and not hitting it well. Knowing what I know now, I should probably start using it again 😆

I really liked it with driver because everything felt wide and synchronized. No creating of unnecessary angles or movements to get speed if that makes any sense.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mhedwards93 said:

Very late to this one…but managing to borrow one off a pro who’s not using it for a few weeks but as he’s doing me a favour I doubt I’ll be able to register it. Can anyone summarise the 7 protocols please?

any help would be much appreciated 🙂

Just go to their website to see the protocols.

https://www.tourstriker.com/planemate-protocols/

I don't post much, but I had this same issue working with the planemate.  For me, I got my left arm pinned on the chest and over the top.  You could try work you left arm down your chest during/after the "relax" then turning through with your pivot.  That type of feel or move should get you more on plane, but your face may now be closed to path if you are hitting straight pulls.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

Am I the only one that is grooving a cupped left hand at the top with this tool?  In order to get my hands steep I find myself cupping the wrist.  In my normal takeaway I'm a bit more neutral and so is my wrist.

I don’t find that true for me.  I have no trouble keeping a flat wrist.

• 5 weeks later...

Here’s a question…… and sorry if it’s been covered and I’ve missed it, but what starts the backswing? I realize you’re feeling the tension and that verifies what you’re doing is correct, but when you’re not wearing the PlaneMate are you thinking the first move is the hands moving back, turning the sternum and the arms and hands are just along for the ride, something else? I want to make sure that I’m understanding what we’re accomplishing so when you’re without the PlaneMate you can feel/know what you’re working towards. 

Edited by Ajgaguy83

2 hours ago, Ajgaguy83 said:

Here’s a question…… and sorry if it’s been covered and I’ve missed it, but what starts the backswing? I realize you’re feeling the tension and that verifies what you’re doing is correct, but when you’re not wearing the PlaneMate are you thinking the first move is the hands moving back, turning the sternum and the arms and hands are just along for the ride, something else? I want to make sure that I’m understanding what we’re accomplishing so when you’re without the PlaneMate you can feel/know what you’re working towards. 

When I was swinging well with it, felt like everything moved backed together.....very one piece. The left lat kind of initiated. Take this with a grain of salt as I don't really use mine anymore.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, naj959 said:

When I was swinging well with it, felt like everything moved backed together.....very one piece. The left lat kind of initiated. Take this with a grain of salt as I don't really use mine anymore.

Thanks for the reply. What caused you to stop using it?

Does anyone still use this and having good long term success?

48 minutes ago, Ajgaguy83 said:

Thanks for the reply. What caused you to stop using it?

Does anyone still use this and having good long term success?

Long story short, I stopped monitoring the fundamentals for "my swing" and relied to heavily on the PM. I lost my swing and had to revisit old lesson I've taken to get it back. Was a member of the GG site and proper legwork in transition is a huge key for me personally. I don't really need the PM to work on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another warning to make sure you occasionally record your swing to check on it when using the PM.

I've had the occasional shanks and overall a pretty heel based strike pattern for the last few months so booked in for the first lesson in a while with my coach. After only a few swings he spotted the issue was I was starting the swing by moving my hands outside and then returning them to the outside position at impact. As soon as I started to come back inline my strike pattern instantly improved but it feels as if I'm coming inside now.

The only thing I can put it down to is the more I used the PM, the more it felt like I was no longer putting tension on the band so the more outside I started the swing in order to feel it. On the right track to fix it now but don't think I'll be using the PM for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benjo009 said:

Just another warning to make sure you occasionally record your swing to check on it when using the PM.

I've had the occasional shanks and overall a pretty heel based strike pattern for the last few months so booked in for the first lesson in a while with my coach. After only a few swings he spotted the issue was I was starting the swing by moving my hands outside and then returning them to the outside position at impact. As soon as I started to come back inline my strike pattern instantly improved but it feels as if I'm coming inside now.

The only thing I can put it down to is the more I used the PM, the more it felt like I was no longer putting tension on the band so the more outside I started the swing in order to feel it. On the right track to fix it now but don't think I'll be using the PM for a while.

This is just a reminder that you can over and under-do everything in the golf swing. Shanks and heal strikes can mean excessive inside to out. While the opposite for toe shots. Finding that happy medium, rehearsing it, and engraining it takes a long time. Practice a shank shot. Practice a toe shot. And learn what not to do. It pays dividends in your golfing career.

I still use PM to this day to bring my swing back to even. I habitually get narrow. It always sorts me out but I don't use it more than a week or two and am on my merry way. 

• 2 months later...

Thinking of going back to this, depending what my coach says. I think I may be a candidate for a rotary swing which the plane mate should really help accomplish. Anyone else use it for that purpose?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

• 1 month later...

I haven't used my PM seriously since last year. I could not get the feels anymore and could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Was very close to listing it on the BST. I follow both Martin and David on Instagram. I viewed the post below and just watching Martin use it set off a light bulb for me. He was really letting the band ride on the trail hand in the takeaway. I wasn't getting the club anywhere near as steep as he does at P3. Literally feels like I'm standing the club up 90* and keeping my arms in front of my chest. Worked with it a bit today and played a practice 9. Stuffed a few irons and hit some toasty half wedges. Felt like I had miles of room for the club to swing down into the ball. I've been battling excessive right tilt of the trail shoulder the last two months and a better backswing takes care of that. Driver was pretty good but I still get a little arm run off with that club that can lead to the face being a bit open. Long story short, I saw a lot of positives and will be putting in reps again. 

http://www.instagram.com/reel/CeFVYtmByN4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by naj959
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you all who hit the pulls/pull hooks feel like it’s either a handsy swing versus a hip swing?  I feel like when I don’t rotate through as well as I should my hands take over just after downswing this bringing in a closed face. Now if it rotate through and let my hands drag behind it’s a great shot. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JDIL said:

Did they get rid of the free protocols? I logged back in, and my account no longer existed. Created a new account (and my info was still in there) but no order for the protocols. I go to search, and it's $47 now.

After seeing your post, I tried to log in.   I was greeted with the same results as yourself.   The free protocols looked like they were gone.   I did find them here.

Edited by DennyJones
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, naj959 said:

I wonder if there's been a shakeup. Seems like David Woods is taking a backseat with regards to the marketing campaign. The Advanced Protocols have been taken down as far as I can tell. A bit disappointing as I've started drilling heavy with my PM again. Anyone still have access to them?

I was able to find this https://www.tourstriker.com/pages/planemate-advanced-protocol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1