2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Suggestion needed. Scotty TEI3. Who can restore/refinish?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't you send it to Scotty Cameron?

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

> @bradski said:

> I had mine done with a DLC finish and that is what I would recomend. No more worry about it rusting like with the factory finish. I had Bos do a Polymer coating years ago but I like the DLC much better.

>

>

> best shop for the finish would be golf garage IMO

Thanks. Not too familiar with DLC, will look into that. My last TEI3 was done by George, Dawn Patrol here, Torrey Rat Golf. It was a very durable polymer finish. I appreciate your suggestions.

Dan

> @KensingtonPark said:

> Why wouldn't you send it to Scotty Cameron?

I have 8 Scotty TEI3, mostly Newport 2's, with 3 del Mar s. Love these putters, but never been a fan of the custom shop, it's prices, or $50 head covers. Too much fanboy stuff in my opinion. But TEI3, I love, been using them for 20 years. Most are customs, unusual finishes, that I prefer over a SC custom shop refinish.

> @danattherock said:

> > @KensingtonPark said:

> > Why wouldn't you send it to Scotty Cameron?

>

> I have 8 Scotty TEI3, mostly Newport 2's, with 3 del Mar s. Love these putters, but never been a fan of the custom shop, it's prices, or $50 head covers. Too much fanboy stuff in my opinion. But TEI3, I love, been using them for 20 years. Most are customs, unusual finishes, that I prefer over a SC custom shop refinish.

WOW, 8....a man after my own heart. I too love the Tei3 model, it's definitely my favorite.

My two suggestions off the top of my head would be BOS or Norcal. There are others, I'm sure you could google it.

If you ever have a tei3 np2 long neck you want to trade, let me know!

Thanks man, heard of BOS, but never used. Kevin Colbert at Putter Plating and George, Dawn Patrol here, at Torrey Rat Golf, did my last few. Both appear out of business at this point. Looking for a new guy as I have 3-4 that I want refinished. Only thing about TEI3 I would (and do) change, the black oxide finish. Want my kids to game these putters one day, custom refinishing seems the best insurance.

Dan

I have used BOS for black ox on both CS and SS. They do great work. Some say that they did the original finish on the TeI3's. I don't know if that is true, but other that know can confirm.

An old thread, but hope it helps you: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1020599/bos-golf-tei3-putter-refinish/p1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Golf Garage website has some impressive images, I sent email. As for original black oxide, I had always heard BOS applied it as well. Just thin for my taste and there are far more durable finishes available. Appreciate the input here fellas. Took a little steel wool, 0000 super fine, and oily rag to several TEI3 s this afternoon, won't be so embarrassing shipping them off now, lol. Nothing worse than a rusty putter.

> @eric6624 said:

> Bos ! [](https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/editor/zz/1cr9veeaq424.jpeg "")

> stbl8od1os3u.jpeg

> sbe70r8ilc7b.jpeg

> msmrgupuj3hf.jpeg

>

I have used bos and they do great work. How durable is the finish? how is it holding up?

My biggest reason for looking at golf garage is DLC is the best black finish that you can put on a putter today. Durablility, look, thickness,ect.

No need to look further than BOS out of SoCal. They did these putters, when they were brand new and they have the machines and know-how to do an absolutely fantastic job, today. Their pricing is nearly impossible to beat and they almost always exceed the expectations for time needed for the work.

www.bosgolf.com The only link you really need for TeI3 refinish jobs.

One Mann's opinion.

LaMont in AZ

I called BOS today, nice folks, as Lamont says above they did original finish on all SC tei3 s. I don't like the black oxide, or the care they require. Too thin in my opinion. I have one tei3 done in black polymer, looks fantastic. No maintenance required to speak of, durable from what I see. Might get one of my TEI3 S done in white polymer at BOS, three week turn around they said today, $100, just can't beat it. The chameleon PVD at golf garage website really caught my eye also, will send one or two his way.

My black polymer TEI3..

gmb4vohlb1e9.jpg

4ul6yg232903.jpg

f7q0k0n12htb.jpg

5xwb4882n1no.jpg

> @golfluvzme said:

> No need to look further than BOS out of SoCal. They did these putters, when they were brand new and they have the machines and know-how to do an absolutely fantastic job, today. Their pricing is nearly impossible to beat and they almost always exceed the expectations for time needed for the work.

> www.bosgolf.com The only link you really need for TeI3 refinish jobs.

> One Mann's opinion.

> LaMont in AZ

Thanks for chiming in. I had a few custom Sunset Beach putters made about ten years back. I recall your involvement with them. Additionally, I always valued your many contributions here.

Dan

NC

• 4 weeks later...

IMO polymer finishes changes the way a putter feels, I would not do that one. PVD looks great and does not change the feel and excellent for the no maintenance type golfer. BOS still my pick however.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like lots of people avoid using the Scotty Custom Shop because it's expensive but where is that expense coming from? I just processed my tei3 order to BOS, if they don't think I need a new insert it's going to be about 60 dollars cheaper than sending it to Scotty (I don't know if Scotty replaces the insert or not). They charged extra because it had an insert, extra because it has a finish already on it, same price to add a sight dot, extra to ensure loft and lie are accurate. I don't get a new grip, new shaft, or new headcover (however cheap the "free" scotty ones may be) and I had to remove the shaft. I don't know if they'll do better work or not, especially because I just want a traditional pro platinum style finish instead of the black oxide that obviously all tei3 came with but the price seems to be about a wash 320 with Scotty including new grip/shaft/headcover and 260 from BOS (assuming no new insert) for just the head to be shipped back. If you want an exotic looking finish I understand that's not available through the custom shop but if you just want to get back to original (custom shop black finish is a black oxide on carbon putters according to the website) or a pro platinum look it kind of seems like the custom shop may have actually been cheaper if you were going to replace shaft/grip anyways.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, danattherock said:

I called BOS today, nice folks, as Lamont says above they did original finish on all SC tei3 s. I don't like the black oxide, or the care they require. Too thin in my opinion. I have one tei3 done in black polymer, looks fantastic. No maintenance required to speak of, durable from what I see. Might get one of my TEI3 S done in white polymer at BOS, three week turn around they said today, $100, just can't beat it. The chameleon PVD at golf garage website really caught my eye also, will send one or two his way.

My black polymer TEI3..

gmb4vohlb1e9.jpg

4ul6yg232903.jpg

f7q0k0n12htb.jpg

5xwb4882n1no.jpg

Looks fantastic!  Any follow-up or other member comments regarding the BOS Polymer finish (vs. Black Oxide)?  I have a long neck Newport that I'm getting ready to send in and I do like the idea of a more durable finish.  I've found comments on both sides of the change in feel potential (and I'm OK either way), but what about potential resale?  Would it affect future resale value either way?  Thanks!

P.S. Also, I spoke with BOS and they indicated that the Polymer finish should be slightly more durable, but both would/could wear over time.  Also, they noted that the Polymer finish is more matte vs. shiny with the Black Oxide.  Other considerations, Polymer is $20 more and would cost $40 to remove, if refinishing is required in the future (no extra refinishing cost to remove  Black Oxide finish).

Edited by Broke100

• 2 years later...
On 8/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, danattherock said:

> @bradski said:

> I had mine done with a DLC finish and that is what I would recomend. No more worry about it rusting like with the factory finish. I had Bos do a Polymer coating years ago but I like the DLC much better.

>

>

> best shop for the finish would be golf garage IMO

Thanks. Not too familiar with DLC, will look into that. My last TEI3 was done by George, Dawn Patrol here, Torrey Rat Golf. It was a very durable polymer finish. I appreciate your suggestions.

Dan

Hey Dan, who did you use for DLC?

IMO the polymer finish completely changes the feel of a putter.  Almost feels like an odyssey insert feel.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89