2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I have a 9 degree l4x head and headcover, but this thing is so good that I can't put it up for sale. I can't...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Aragolf' timestamp='1355492317' post='6067401']
Come on brother you can let go of it, it's Christmas!!!
[/quote]

What? Dude, I dunno...other offers didn't work out?

Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...

I have been trying real hard to settle on a driver for this coming season. I have been hitting balls everyday and trying to narrow my search.
I have been hittng: Razr Fit Ping anser
Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue SF 2.0 v2 And others
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20
All with every shaft i could get my hands on includind some of my own that have worked well for me in the past.

Today i decided to pull out two of my L4V x's. Both 9 degree, one with orig. shaft and one with AD Di 7.
Without a shadow of a doubt, they both blew all the others out of the water. It really was not even close as far accuracy.
Distance wise , the L4v's were right there also. Really no suprise, i do this about once every year and a half with the same result.
People always ask me why i ever play anything else. Good question. Maybe this year i will just forget the sound and play one of the best clubs ever made, in my opinion. Anyone else pulled there's out of the closet lately. I would be interested to know.

By the way, i have a third head, anyone have any shaft suggestions?

Try steel. It's cheap and easy to change if you don't like it.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

[quote name='ptjn1201' timestamp='1358434223' post='6245719']
Try steel. It's cheap and easy to change if you don't like it.
[/quote]

Total weight would be pretty heavy, no?

Titleist ProV1x

It's heavy but you can make it a little shorter. I find it gives me about the same distance as the Proforce V2 Stiff 57. But my transition tends to get a little rough and the heavier shaft seems to help. And I think it's even louder with a steel shaft in there

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358395293' post='6243663']
I have been trying real hard to settle on a driver for this coming season. I have been hitting balls everyday and trying to narrow my search.
Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20
All with every shaft i could get my hands on includind some of my own that have worked well for me in the past.

Today i decided to pull out two of my L4V x's. Both 9 degree, one with orig. shaft and one with AD Di 7.
Without a shadow of a doubt, they both blew all the others out of the water. It really was not even close as far accuracy.
[u][b]Distance wise , the L4v's were right there also[/b][/u]. Really no suprise, i do this about once every year and a half with the same result.
People always ask me why i ever play anything else. Good question. Maybe this year i will just forget the sound and play one of the best clubs ever made, in my opinion. Anyone else pulled there's out of the closet lately. I would be interested to know.

[/quote]

Really? That is incredible. Do you have numbers to share with us or is this based on visual?

Thanks

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 16.5 HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM10 56° 60° TTDG S300

Cameron Classic Santa Fe

Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20

Distance wise , the L4v's were right there also. Really no suprise, i do this about once every year and a half with the same result.

[/quote]

I hear ya man. I still have my L4V in the basement. I won't get rid of it. If I'm ever struggling with the driver, I'll put this guy in play and all seems well. I've had a few guys ask me literally the same exact thing...why play anything else? I never have a great answer, even know I know I'm giving a little up with the LV4 when it comes to distance. I launch it a bit too high with a bit too much spin, but it still gets the job done.

@stimp - The L4V was one of the (if not THE) first drivers to max out all tolerances within the rules of golf, so that face is just as hot as all the drivers now. Just depends if you have the right shaft in there to get everything dialed in right.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='stimpmeterp' timestamp='1358446998' post='6247073']
Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20

[u][b]Distance wise , the L4v's were right there also[/b][/u]. Really no suprise, i do this about once every year and a half with the same result.

[/quote]

Really? That is incredible. Do you have numbers to share with us or is this based on visual?

Thanks
[/quote]
sorry, no numbers. hitting outsde with no monitor. i always feel like that is the best test anyway, but everyone is different.

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1358448469' post='6247213']
Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20

[/quote]

I hear ya man. I still have my L4V in the basement. I won't get rid of it. If I'm ever struggling with the driver, I'll put this guy in play and all seems well. I've had a few guys ask me literally the same exact thing...why play anything else? I never have a great answer, even know I know I'm giving a little up with the LV4 when it comes to distance. I launch it a bit too high with a bit too much spin, but it still gets the job done.

@stimp - The L4V was one of the (if not THE) first drivers to max out all tolerances within the rules of golf, so that face is just as hot as all the drivers now. Just depends if you have the right shaft in there to get everything dialed in right.
[/quote]
i forgot, among the drivers i had been testing were two launch labs and a tour issue fast12 LS. Hard to remember them all.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't revive this thread without a new (to me) L4V in the basement curing right now. The ramblin' golf show came to town for it's 3 day springtime stop over again. I hadn't even planned on going this year, but Friday night rolled along and I had nothing to do so I figured what the heck, maybe I'll find an old L4V or something. I walked in and the second tent I went to had...an L4V 9* F Speed. It was like it was meant to be. I sort of got giddy. I know it's not special to most people and I know the X is generally more desireable, but my swing does pretty well with a little more spin and I foolishly traded in the same loft and model with a RIP Alpha last fall. It didn't take long to regret that. As some people have noticed these are getting a little hard to find now, especially one in decent shape. So as I type this, I have an L4V 9* F Speed curing on a tipped V2 66 S with a Lamkin full cord at 44.75" on my workbench and I couldn't be happier about it!

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

• 4 weeks later...
:help::help::help:

:king::king::king:

Rob,

Had to get bring her back for the sake of it....

Bought a 9* F (no X for LH) with a VTLT for $50.00. The HELL with it.... I went by Watts, PGA etc...and didn't really like all the new stuff.... Still hitting a R7 SQ Tour Issue....

Didn't really see anything better than the old looks of the R7 / V Steel FW heads for that matter..... :huh:

Anyway, We'll see what happens...

-David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

MAXFLI TOUR 

Just shafted Mad's 9* X up with a Pype 80x @ 44". :partytime2:

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358474837' post='6249759']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1358448469' post='6247213']
Titleist D3 Ping G10
TitleistD2 Cally ft tour
Tour issue R11s v2
Ping i20

[/quote]

[/quote]
i forgot, among the drivers i had been testing were two launch labs and a tour issue fast12 LS. Hard to remember them all.
Wow! Really? The Cobra was more accurate and just as long? That is impressive because your list is a who's who of bomber clubs.
[/quote]

I grabbed an L4V X head this winter in pretty rough shape, threw it on a DI6X tipped 3/4 of an inch and through two rounds so far this season (we have had a nightmare spring) this thing is what dreams are made of. It has taken the left side of the course out of play with driver in hand, i can go balls out at it and really get it in the air or put a nice controlled 3/4 driver swing on it with a flatter flight that is a dead fairway finder. I AM IN LOVE.

I put my L4V-F in play a couple of rounds early this season, and it flat-out peforms. But man, the sound is just too much for me (and my playing partners) to take on a regular basis. Why couldn't they have made the sound more manageable??

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1366232750' post='6866775']
[/quote]

...and then caved my 949 fw. lol

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1366329372' post='6874653']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah... um... my bad, Hoss. My bad.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Took this out to the range for the first time this morning. Unless I find a reason not to, this is going to be in play for the summer. I can attempt to work the ball with the long tom 2 wood or the 3deep if I want. This ball-moosher just goes straight and looong.

9* Attas Elements Prototype MK 7x

Direct quote from a buddy today:

"CRACK....... really?.....that sounds like shi...Oh wow.... it's still rolling?...... OMG....... let me hit it!!!"

[attachment=1649443:20130423_090623.jpg]
[attachment=1649445:20130423_090613.jpg]

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1366333941' post='6875129']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1366329372' post='6874653']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah... um... my bad, Hoss. My bad.
[/quote]

That's cool dude. No worries. I think it is awesome that you caved a FAIRWAY METAL. I have never even heard of that happening to a new club. They don't call him DriverWedge for nothing folks!

You know, I think I irked the Mizuno rep because I took up so much time hitting the L4x/Pype combo on the range. He was like, "Um...sir? Do you mind moving on because things are starting to back up here." I turned around and there were three guys watching me hit it, wondering "What the hell is that sound??"

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='breakfree40' timestamp='1366738360' post='6901101']
Took this out to the range for the first time this morning. Unless I find a reason not to, this is going to be in play for the summer. I can attempt to work the ball with the long tom 2 wood or the 3deep if I want. This ball-moosher just goes straight and looong.

9* Attas Elements Prototype MK 7x

Direct quote from a buddy today:

"CRACK....... really?.....that sounds like shi...Oh wow.... it's still rolling?...... OMG....... let me hit it!!!"

[attachment=1649443:20130423_090623.jpg]
[attachment=1649445:20130423_090613.jpg]
[/quote]

That shaft/grip combo is sweet looking!

Thx... the whole cobo is pretty sweet imo... the mid section of the shaft has a carbon weave pattern like the l4v head!

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

• 1 month later...