2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='golfware' post='880631' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:11 PM']Thanks!! No, I was thinking of that "counter-balance" system where you put a weight in the butt end of the grip. That's all I was referring to. No specific shaft...[/quote]

Okay...I use about 2"L x 1/2"W pieces of lead tape [i][u]inside[/u][/i] the butt of the shaft. Works like a charm to offset heavy SW's.

[quote name='sawmillphil' post='880602' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:58 PM'][quote name='sawmillphil' post='875448' date='Jan 21 2008, 06:18 PM']Seeing as how I haven't picked up a club since November...I'll hit the launch monitor later this week. Going to start swinging my wedge indoors for a few days to try, and wake up the golf muscles. I'll be warmed up best I can be for this time of the year. I'll be testing with my 2007 game ball - Srixon Z-URS. Looking forward to the end of the week. I'll post my #'s. So I'm asking in advance, please be gentle...LOL. Hopefully, I'll be able to get up to speed.
Here were my "[color="#ff0000"]average[/color][color="#000000"]" #[/color]'s from Arpil 10th,2007. [color="#ff0000"]Edit: Used a Pro V1X for this test.[/color]
[b][i]r7 Quad TP 9.5*([color="#ff0000"]Tour Issue[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i]) w/Harrison PRO 2.5 X (Tipped 1.5") @ 44.5"
[/i][/b]Carry: [b]278.9[/b]
Total Distance: [b]292.1[/b]
Ball Speed: [b]159.7[/b]
Launch: [b]13.4[/b]
Backspin: [b]3450[/b] (*Remember this was at start of '07 season for me. I may have got it lower as the year went on. I was killing this combo.*)
Club Speed : [b]114.9[/b]

So, I'll see right off the bat if I can top these #'s with my combo of:
[b][i]L4VX w/UST V2 [color="#ff0000"]X[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i] @ 45.5" [/i][/b](This shaft doesn't seem to be as stiff as my current gamer.)
[/color]So we shall see. :man_in_love: Later......Phil.
[/color][/quote]

[b][i]OKAY...So I haven't hit a ball in 80 days!! Like I said above be gentle...LOL.
[/i][/b]Here are my "[color="#ff0000"]average[/color][color="#000000"]" for January 24th, 2008.
[/color][b][i]Cobra L4V X 9.0* w/ UST V2 [color="#ff0000"]X[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i] @ 45.5"[/i][/b] [color="#000000"]([/color][color="#ff0000"]Srixon Z-URS test ball.[/color][color="#000000"])[/color]
[/color]Carry: [b]276.5
[/b]Total Distance: [b]291.1
[/b]Ball Speed: [b]157.7
[/b]Launch: [b]13.0
[/b]Backspin: [b]3173
[/b]Club Speed: [b]109.0
[/b]
Let me just first start by saying...[b][i]I did this for [color="#ff0000"]myself[/color], just to have an idea how the V2 [color="#ff0000"]X [/color]would perform. I just wanted to share my #'s with fellow L4V X devotees with similar #'s. [/i][/b]I think it may be a keeper. I'm going to shorten it to 44.5", and a touch of backweighting. Man...did it ever feel heavy, again simply a result of my golf season ending in November. Let me also state, that I generally don't start hitting balls until Mid-February. So there you go...I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to bring my normal "heat" so to speak...off by about 5 mph there, which is understandable all things considered. I think with a little tweaking, I'll be getting more yardage with this club...no problem.[color="#000000"] All in all...pretty comparable, at a SS that was just off a touch. Here are my Highs, and Lows:
[b][i]Note: [/i][/b]About 6 passes were discarded...closer to the start of session...3 mishits, and 3 no readings. [b]* [/b][color="#ff0000"]I have a mishit still in there that should have been scratched, thus bringing the average down a bit. I'll be using the 2nd worst for the low[b][color="#000000"]* Counting 13/20[/color][/b][/color]
Carry: [b]295.3 / 269.8
[/b]Total Distance: [b]312.5 / 282.4
[/b]Ball Speed: [b]162.3 / 154.0
[/b]Launch: [b]17.1 / 10.1
[/b]Backspin: [b]3510 / 2222
[/b]Club Speed: [b]110.8 / 106.7
[/b]
Talk to you guys...later...Phil.[/color]
[/quote]

Would it not be more relevant to check out current stats with your old driver versus these stats with your L4V? There's several variables that could cause these numbers to be off. You are not really comparing apples to apples.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='880718' date='Jan 24 2008, 01:50 PM']I have 1 with a UST Tour Model CB shaft (80 grams raw I think ) .... IT is awesome !!!!!!!!! .... Extremely happy with it[/quote]

Would you say that the CB model is better suited for the L4V?? Another buddy of mine seems to think that only CB shafts will work well in it... otherwise, as he says, I'll be sayhing "FORE RIGHT"...

[quote name='gblakeb' post='880727' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:52 PM']Would it not be more relevant to check out current stats with your old driver versus these stats with your L4V? There's several variables that could cause these numbers to be off. You are not really comparing apples to apples.[/quote]

Sure I guess it would have, but my r7...at the moment doesn't have a shaft in it. So a side by side would have been kind of hard. Anyways...my swing seems to be pretty much unchanged. '07 was the best year for me ever with my Driver. I see no reason judging from the #'s that this year will be any different. Like I said this was more of a personal experiment...testing out the V2X.

[quote name='sidewinder' post='879806' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:16 PM']Well, either my L4V X is extremely open or the VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2" is far too stiff for me. I suspect it is the later. The left side of the fairway is completely out of play with that shaft. Unfortunately, the right side of the fairway would not be in play either. Distance suffered and the ball flight was higher than I wanted. With the stock Redboard I got great distance and straight ball flight. The launch angle was higher than I wanted though.

I figured I would need to install a different shaft anyway. So I am going to try Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 S. It's a more appropriate flex and it should lower the ball flight to what I want.

Anyone have a stock Redboard pull from an L4V X that want to get rid of?

Scott[/quote]
I hate quoting myself....but I wanted to give some context.

For me, the Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 Stiff is the ticket with this head. At 45.5", the swing weight ended up being D8 which is a bit much so I may back weight it a bit. The launch angle with this shaft perfect and it is easy to hit a nice subtle power fade. Gain over 20 yards of carry with the ProtoPype and should get more roll because of the flatter launch angle. The shaft has great feel to it too. Anyone want a good deal on a Aldila VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2"?

Scott

[quote name='TheLama' post='879447' date='Jan 23 2008, 08:03 PM'][quote name='daughterscameron' post='879332' date='Jan 23 2008, 07:10 PM']SON OF A ... Nice goin' guys!! Now you got one of the best LDers of all time

toughting the L4V. So what did I do? I just went and ordered one!!!!!

If I get divorced and become a dead beat dad because of my HOing ways, i'm

coming after you guys. ;) . WHY DO I HAVE AN URGE FOR KOOL-AID! :lol:

BTW, Nice to have you on our board Mr. Pavlet.[/quote]

This kind of Kool-Aid?

[attachment=210922:Finished_Kool_Aid.jpg]

It is DELICIOUS!!

Brian
[/quote]

Blueberry and lemon. Cobra YUMMM. :rtfm::D:D:man_in_love::cry: I'll say I have. :yes:

COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I tried to drink the Kool-Aid, I really did. I went to my local golf store, credit card in hand, with the intention of buying a new L4V based on the many, many good comments posted on this board. They didn't have the X, so I hit a 9* F with the stock shaft on their simulator. Ten hits, slight fade, nicely grouped, all is looking good...except that the ball was traveling 30-35 yds shorter than I had expected (about 230 yds).

I'm thinking that maybe the simulator is not properly calibrated, so I pull out my current gamer, an 8.5* Superquad (also with a stock shaft). Ten hits, slight draw, nicely grouped...and about 30-35 yds longer than the L4VF (about 260-265yds).

I noticed that the 9* L4VF had an 18* launch angle, while my Superquad had a 13* launch angle. I'm guessing that's the reason for the distance loss, but it's hard to believe that putting a different shaft in the L4VF or hitting the L4VX will give the extra 30-35 yds that I'm losing.

I'm not the world's greatest golfer, but I'm not the run of the mill hacker either (9 handicap, SS 98-104mph). So, unless someone tells me that I'm wrong, that a shaft can make a 35 yd difference, I'm going to have to leave Guyana without drinking the Kool-Aid.

Also, based on the empirical evidence that I was observing, for those of you who haven't hit the Superquad, I would recommend that you give it a try and compare the results to the L4V...you might come away as surprised as I did.

[quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 02:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I tried to drink the Kool-Aid, I really did. I went to my local golf store, credit card in hand, with the intention of buying a new L4V based on the many, many good comments posted on this board. They didn't have the X, so I hit a 9* F with the stock shaft on their simulator. Ten hits, slight fade, nicely grouped, all is looking good...except that the ball was traveling 30-35 yds shorter than I had expected (about 230 yds).

I'm thinking that maybe the simulator is not properly calibrated, so I pull out my current gamer, an 8.5* Superquad (also with a stock shaft). Ten hits, slight draw, nicely grouped...and about 30-35 yds longer than the L4VF (about 260-265yds).

I noticed that the 9* L4VF had an 18* launch angle, while my Superquad had a 13* launch angle. I'm guessing that's the reason for the distance loss, but it's hard to believe that putting a different shaft in the L4VF or hitting the L4VX will give the extra 30-35 yds that I'm losing.

I'm not the world's greatest golfer, but I'm not the run of the mill hacker either (9 handicap, SS 98-104mph). So, unless someone tells me that I'm wrong, that a shaft can make a 35 yd difference, I'm going to have to leave Guyana without drinking the Kool-Aid.

Also, based on the empirical evidence that I was observing, for those of you who haven't hit the Superquad, I would recommend that you give it a try and compare the results to the L4V...you might come away as surprised as I did.[/quote]

You are leaving out the one and only number that will answer your question about the shaft. What were the backspin numbers? 18* is a bit high so that is an issue that will absolutely be resolved by the correct shaft combo. I think you answered the question for yourself though..if you are happy with what you are gaming now..then change is not needed. But if you are thinking about changing get the right shaft for your game. Based on the numbers above...I think you are leaving something out...and that is the backspin...has to be high....

[quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 04:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I noticed that the 9* L4VF had an 18* launch angle, while my Superquad had a 13* launch angle. I'm guessing that's the reason for the distance loss, but it's hard to believe that putting a different shaft in the L4VF or hitting the L4VX will give the extra 30-35 yds that I'm losing.[/quote]

I first tried the F and hit moon balls with it on the range, with a definite loss of distance. I bought an X that hit much farther, although still higher than what I'm used to (8.5 983k w/speeder). I'm having a Protopype put in tonight and will try that Sunday. I would not judge this club using the stock F shaft.

[quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I tried to drink the Kool-Aid, I really did. I went to my local golf store, credit card in hand, with the intention of buying a new L4V based on the many, many good comments posted on this board.[/quote]

:yes:;):D:rtfm::D:tongue::WTF::man_in_love::D:cry::lol: It's too bad you weren't able to try the X!
Sounds like you have already passed judgment, on the L4V. I think even the L4VX with a stock shaft would have given you better #'s. [b][i]The shaft is the key.[/i][/b] As it is in any club. I hit mine on the LM yesterday for the first time. I basically matched the #'s I had with my r7 Quad TP, at 5 mph less SS than my normal. The L4VX felt heavy to say the least. So I know I've got some tweaking to do. I don't know about you, but I usually buy my clubs used...fully aware I will most likely have to reshaft them. This is the first "New Driver" I have bought in a long time. I asked if Cobra does tip trimming, but they don't. So basically, everyone of us it at the mercy of most of the OEM's...when it comes to trying to choose the correct shaft, in regards to the purchase of a new club. I had 3 shafts in my r7 before I found the right combo. Maybe try the X when one becomes available to you, then decide.

[quote name='rjurkowski' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM' post='882777']
COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I tried to drink the Kool-Aid, I really did. I went to my local golf store, credit card in hand, with the intention of buying a new L4V based on the many, many good comments posted on this board.

I had even emailed many questions to Lama, Wirelessness, etc. I was ready to pull the trigger and had my guy at Edwin Watts order a L4V F 9* Stiff(left-handed). I even brought a few others drivers to compare(G10 10.5 Pershing, HiBore XL 10.5 V2, Burner 9.5*, D2 10.5 VS Proto). I am trying to find the best fit and I thought for sure the L4V F would be it.

None of these drivers are the best for me. I was told by the fitter that I am very unique in the way that I hit and my numbers. The L4V was a horrible match for me. I ballooned the ball and just spun the ball way to much. When I did hit one good it would go dead straight and then fall out of the sky. The distance was not good. I kept asking if there was something that I could do to make this club work. The fitter did not think it was a good head for me. He said it would be very expensive to try to find the right shaft for this head.

My problem is I have a low launch with a lot of spin.

I really thought his was the club for me. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[quote name='sidewinder' post='880879' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:09 PM'][quote name='sidewinder' post='879806' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:16 PM']Well, either my L4V X is extremely open or the VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2" is far too stiff for me. I suspect it is the later. The left side of the fairway is completely out of play with that shaft. Unfortunately, the right side of the fairway would not be in play either. Distance suffered and the ball flight was higher than I wanted. With the stock Redboard I got great distance and straight ball flight. The launch angle was higher than I wanted though.

I figured I would need to install a different shaft anyway. So I am going to try Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 S. It's a more appropriate flex and it should lower the ball flight to what I want.

Scott[/quote]

For me, the Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 Stiff is the ticket with this head. At 45.5", the swing weight ended up being D8 which is a bit much so I may back weight it a bit. The launch angle with this shaft perfect and it is easy to hit a nice subtle power fade. Gain over 20 yards of carry with the ProtoPype and should get more roll because of the flatter launch angle. The shaft has great feel to it too. Anyone want a good deal on a Aldila VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2"?

Scott
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the post. I'm hoping mine will come alive once I get the Pype installed as well

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 Raw, 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4" - with leading edge grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='keith723' post='883293' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:09 PM'][quote name='sidewinder' post='880879' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:09 PM'][quote name='sidewinder' post='879806' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:16 PM']Well, either my L4V X is extremely open or the VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2" is far too stiff for me. I suspect it is the later. The left side of the fairway is completely out of play with that shaft. Unfortunately, the right side of the fairway would not be in play either. Distance suffered and the ball flight was higher than I wanted. With the stock Redboard I got great distance and straight ball flight. The launch angle was higher than I wanted though.

Scott[/quote]

Scott
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the post. I'm hoping mine will come alive once I get the Pype installed as well
[/quote]
keith723,

You're welcome!

I hope you have that Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 coming in "Stiff" flex. At swing speeds of 100 to 110, it should be perfect. I think "X Stiff" may be a bit too much unless you are at 115 or above.

Scott

[quote name='keith723' post='878550' date='Jan 24 2008, 03:13 AM'][quote name='lefty74pgh' post='876546' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:33 AM'][quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:18 AM']I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of this and the X-Speed S? I hit that club last weekend with the crappy stock Fujikura and I was absolutely crushing it...just curious.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

How did the VS Proto play? What did you not like about the shaft and this combo?

I was going to order the L4V F 10* with this shaft. I tend to have a low launch angle around 10*-12* with a swing speed of 110.
[/quote]

The stock VS Proto was launching too high for me (borderline ballooning). The trajectory was not nearly as penetrating as other drivers I've hit the VS Proto with. I emailed cobra to see if it was a "real" VS Proto and this is their response "The Aldila VS Proto stock shaft for the X-Speed Pro driver is a proprietary shaft for Cobra golf and is available as a custom option on L4V."

If Cobra says their VS Proto is proprietary I take that to mean it is not a "real" VS Proto which explains why it did not perform as well as I anticipated. If you have a low launch though this may benefit you more than a true VS Proto shaft and since there is no upcharge its worth a shot.

I think I will be much happier when I get the Pype put in the head. Either way it is better than my HiBore XL, I didn't lose any yardage and it is scary straight
[/quote]

And here lays some top info maybe lost in the rush. When we put together your excellent information with the fact that the Proto is no surcharge from the stock shaft
and the fact that the NV from the same Aldila company is a $45 upgrade things become clear. The Proto is the more recently released shaft and also goes for more bucks than the NV so there's little chance the Proto is the real McCoy. I was going to go the way of the Proto if i weakened suddenly so thanks for the information mate.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='Qegurezi' post='883609' date='Jan 26 2008, 07:29 AM'][quote name='keith723' post='878550' date='Jan 24 2008, 03:13 AM'][quote name='lefty74pgh' post='876546' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:33 AM'][quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:18 AM']I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of this and the X-Speed S? I hit that club last weekend with the crappy stock Fujikura and I was absolutely crushing it...just curious.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

How did the VS Proto play? What did you not like about the shaft and this combo?

I was going to order the L4V F 10* with this shaft. I tend to have a low launch angle around 10*-12* with a swing speed of 110.
[/quote]

The stock VS Proto was launching too high for me (borderline ballooning). The trajectory was not nearly as penetrating as other drivers I've hit the VS Proto with. I emailed cobra to see if it was a "real" VS Proto and this is their response "The Aldila VS Proto stock shaft for the X-Speed Pro driver is a proprietary shaft for Cobra golf and is available as a custom option on L4V."

If Cobra says their VS Proto is proprietary I take that to mean it is not a "real" VS Proto which explains why it did not perform as well as I anticipated. If you have a low launch though this may benefit you more than a true VS Proto shaft and since there is no upcharge its worth a shot.

I think I will be much happier when I get the Pype put in the head. Either way it is better than my HiBore XL, I didn't lose any yardage and it is scary straight
[/quote]

And here lays some top info maybe lost in the rush. When we put together your excellent information with the fact that the Proto is no surcharge from the stock shaft
and the fact that the NV from the same Aldila company is a $45 upgrade things become clear. The Proto is the more recently released shaft and also goes for more bucks than the NV so there's little chance the Proto is the real McCoy. I was going to go the way of the Proto if i weakened suddenly so thanks for the information mate.
[/quote]

Thanks man...I'm glad you found it useful

Vokey SM10 Raw, 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4" - with leading edge grind

[quote name='sawmillphil' post='882933' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:06 PM'][quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I tried to drink the Kool-Aid, I really did. I went to my local golf store, credit card in hand, with the intention of buying a new L4V based on the many, many good comments posted on this board.[/quote]

:D:rtfm::D:tongue::WTF::pimp::lol::cry::lol::yes:;) It's too bad you weren't able to try the X!
Sounds like you have already passed judgment, on the L4V. I think even the L4VX with a stock shaft would have given you better #'s. [b][i]The shaft is the key.[/i][/b] As it is in any club. I hit mine on the LM yesterday for the first time. I basically matched the #'s I had with my r7 Quad TP, at 5 mph less SS than my normal. The L4VX felt heavy to say the least. So I know I've got some tweaking to do. I don't know about you, but I usually buy my clubs used...fully aware I will most likely have to reshaft them. This is the first "New Driver" I have bought in a long time. I asked if Cobra does tip trimming, but they don't. So basically, everyone of us it at the mercy of most of the OEM's...when it comes to trying to choose the correct shaft, in regards to the purchase of a new club. I had 3 shafts in my r7 before I found the right combo. Maybe try the X when one becomes available to you, then decide.
[/quote]

Wow Phil, we are a like. I hardly ever buy NEW. Normally a year or 2 after they have
come out. (prices are cheaper, especially for used.) Plus, you're right about changing
the shaft in every one.

Then steps in this D*MN NEW COBRA L4V and these KOOL-AID hooligans. If this turns
out to work. I might end up talking like ROBO too. That scares me!! :man_in_love::D

[quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

Also, based on the empirical evidence that I was observing, for those of you who haven't hit the Superquad, I would recommend that you give it a try and compare the results to the L4V...you might come away as surprised as I did.[/quote]

I cannot stress enough how important a shaft change or at least tipping the stock shaft is in this head. The redboard has a 4" PTS and a 1.25" insertion depth and Cobra does not tip trim?!?! That equals high launch and spin city! I could easily see you picking up 35 yards with a different shaft setup.

[b][/b]Has anyone tried a UST Harmon CB65X in this head? That might be a good counterbalance shaft that would match up well with the headweight![b][/b]

[quote name='daughterscameron' post='884019' date='Jan 26 2008, 03:45 PM'][quote name='sawmillphil' post='882933' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:06 PM'][quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

:D:rtfm::D:tongue::WTF::pimp::lol::cry::lol::yes:;) It's too bad you weren't able to try the X!
[/quote]

Wow Phil, we are a like. I hardly ever buy NEW. Normally a year or 2 after they have
come out. (prices are cheaper, especially for used.) Plus, you're right about changing
the shaft in every one.

Then steps in this D*MN NEW COBRA L4V and these KOOL-AID hooligans. If this turns
out to work. I might end up talking like ROBO too. That scares me!! :man_in_love::D
[/quote]

Yup...I never really needed to have the latest & greatest at the time to be happy. Just a head I liked the looks of, [b][i]and the right shaft![/i][/b] That usually did the trick. I just couldn't resist the all the great reviews, and the great tasting ROBO-KOOL AID!!! Also, I did just pick up a NV Protopype 60 X...from GolfWRX member joshloveslisa...thanks Josh. I will be leaving the V2 X in my L4V, for the time being. I'm going to butt trim it to my 44.5" length, and backweight it a bit, and check my #'s again. I will definitely be putting the NV in at some point though...guaranteed!!

Thanks for Golfwrx and sites like this to level the playing field. If it wasnt for places like this we wouldnt hear the truth. All we would see is spin and marketing. I dont see anything but joe public here proping up some crazy new driver. Could be 1 of 15 new drivers I would buy this year. If it wasnt for this thread I might not have even tried it to be honest.

Cobra is very underrated. Good job guys to keep the buzz up for a good thing. I will have to demo asap.

The PM 702 is a great shaft in this head, but it is probably a little heavy for most folks at anything approaching standard lengths. I had it installed at 45 1/4" D8 untipped just to see what it would be like. Too much of a monster for me. I then took it down to final form at 44 1/2" D3/4 tipped 3/4".

Very, very happy.

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I came, I read, I drank the Koolaid :yes:

Went to the PGA Superstore this afternoon just to test the L4V. Started out hitting the F/9.0 in S flex stock. I immediately got better carry and roll versus my Burner TP 9.5 with Rombax 7W06. The launch was a little high though - around 16*. Spin was around 3800. My clubhead speed is not very high - just about 95mph. I didn't like the launch angle so I figured I'd try the X/9.0 with Stock S flex. Eureka ! Launch came down the mid-13's and spin stayed the same. I was getting 20 extra yards vs my Burner on the LM. Of course I bought it on the spot :D

Tomorrow it goes to the course for some real-world testing. I'll report back afterwards ...

BTW - shot dispersion was ridiculously tight with both the F/9.0 and X/9.0 I tested.

Thanks to all here at the WRX for clueing me in to this fairway-finder !!

[quote name='TRB151' post='884037' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:06 PM'][quote name='rjurkowski' post='882777' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 PM']COBRA L4V - IT BOMBED (OUT)!!!!

I cannot stress enough how important a shaft change or at least tipping the stock shaft is in this head. The redboard has a 4" PTS and a 1.25" insertion depth and Cobra does not tip trim?!?! That equals high launch and spin city! I could easily see you picking up 35 yards with a different shaft setup.

[b][/b]Has anyone tried a UST Harmon CB65X in this head? That might be a good counterbalance shaft that would match up well with the headweight![b][/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize a different shaft setup could make that much of a difference. I knew I might be able to get an extra 20yds or so of distance from a shaft switch, but not 35. I'm going to find a L4VX to hit and then go from there in terms of the shaft setup, as others have said the X could also give me much better results.

Hey Yo.... i just found out that Camilo Villegas bagged the L4VX with a Matrix TP7 XX, :yes: tipped 1" during the Buick...now this may have been already been posted here but i dont see it just yet, im a Newbie here, from another site and i must say that ROBO intro'd me to the L4VX and i now have it bagged with an F7M2 LTD and its the real deal...great to see some TOUR PRO'S finally giving it some love.... :D will post stats on his driving later....see ya!

DRIVING ACCURACY: 14%-64%-50%-50%
4 Round Total: 44.6%
Place: T61

DRIVING DISTANCE: 268.5-293.5-283.5-288.0
4 Round Total: 283.4
Place: 19th

looks like he gained some distance from day one on...25 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards...WOW!!!
he said he liked the driver so much that he inteds to keep it in play for a while longer ....!!!!!

[quote name='superfonzie' post='887251' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:46 PM']Hey Yo.... i just found out that Camilo Villegas bagged the L4VX with a Matrix TP7 XX, :yes: tipped 1" during the Buick...now this may have been already been posted here but i dont see it just yet, im a Newbie here, from another site and i must say that ROBO intro'd me to the L4VX and i now have it bagged with an F7M2 LTD and its the real deal...great to see some TOUR PRO'S finally giving it some love.... :D will post stats on his driving later....see ya!

DRIVING ACCURACY: 14%-64%-50%-50%
4 Round Total: 44.6%
Place: T61

DRIVING DISTANCE: 268.5-293.5-283.5-288.0
4 Round Total: 283.4
Place: 19th

looks like he gained some distance from day one on...25 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards...WOW!!!
he said he liked the driver so much that he inteds to keep it in play for a while longer ....!!!!![/quote]

Superfonzie, welcome to the site of unbiased hype where you can get both sides of the story as you see on this thread. BTW, don't forget Brian Pavlet who is a member here is giving the L4V props too.

Just thought I would share this info:

I emailed Cobra again to get there list of custom shaft offerings (this is a direct cut and paste)...they would not provide upcharges and indicated go to local pro-shop for price quote on each shaft. (next to some there is an E in parenthesis and I do not know what that means)

Fujikura Speeder 757
Grafalloy Blue
GDI PERSHING 65(E)
GDI PERSHING 75(E)
Aldila NVS 65 (Orange)
Aldila NV 55 (E)
Aldila NV 65 (Green)
Aldila NV 75
Aldila NV 85
ProLaunch Blue 65
PROLAUNCH RED
Prolite 3.5 Black Driver
Rapport Pro-jec 6535 (E)
Rapport Pro-jec TW7530 (E
Rapport Pro-jec 6830 (E)
UST Accra SC65 (E)
UST Accra SC75
UST Accra SC95
UST Proforce V2 HL 65 (E)
UST Proforce V2 55 (E)
UST Proforce V2 65
UST Proforce V2 75
UST Proforce V2 85
Aldila VS Proto 80
Graphite Design YS-6.0
Graphite Design YS-7.0

That's not a complete list. Here is a complete list:

Graphite Design YS-6+
[color="#FF0000"]Graphite Design YS-7+ (E)
Graphite Design Pershing 65 (E)
Graphite Design Pershing 75 (E)
Aldila NV 55 (E)[/color]
Aldila NV 65
[color="#FF0000"]Aldila NV 75 (E)
Aldila NV 85 (E)
Aldila NVS-65 (E)[/color]
Aldila VS Proto 65 (Yellow)
[color="#FF0000"]Aldila VS Proto 80 (blue) (E)[/color]
Aldila NV-F (F Speed)
Aldila NVS-M (M Speed)
[color="#FF0000"]Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 (E)
Grafalloy Pro Launch Red 65 (E)
Grafalloy Blue (E)
Grafalloy Prolite 3.5 (E)
UST Accra SC 65 (E)
UST Accra SC 75 (E)
UST Accra SC 95 (E)
UST Proforce V2 55 (E)[/color]
UST Proforce V.2 65
[color="#FF0000"]UST Proforce V.2 75 (E)
UST Proforce V2 85 (E)
UST Proforce V2 High Launch 65 (E)
Fujikura Speeder 757 (E)[/color]
Fujikura Speeder Pro (Yellow)
Mitsubishi Bassara-M (Senior M speed)
Mitsubishi Bassara-M (Ladies M speed)
Mitsubishi Cobra Diamana Red Board X/Speed
Mitsubishi Cobra Diamana Red Board F/Speed
Mitsubishi Cobra Diamana Red Board M/Speed
[color="#FF0000"]Rapport Pro . jec R TW6535 (E)
Rapport Pro . jec R TW6830 (E)
Rapport Pro . jec R TW7530 (E)[/color]

Scott

P.S. Edited to add (E) for "Exotic" which means "Upcharge"