2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I am in the market for one of these beasts but don't know what shaft option. My swing speed is around 120 and ball speed is between 185 and 190. I have an average tempo swing. I have seen so many different shaft options on these threads and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on what shaft may be a good place to start?

[quote name='shank42177' post='866734' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:08 PM']I am in the market for one of these beasts but don't know what shaft option. My swing speed is around 120 and ball speed is between 185 and 190. I have an average tempo swing. I have seen so many different shaft options on these threads and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on what shaft may be a good place to start?[/quote]
Aldila Protopype
Diamana Whiteboard
PM702

Any of those should do the trick.

[quote name='shank42177' post='866734' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:08 PM']I am in the market for one of these beasts but don't know what shaft option. My swing speed is around 120 and ball speed is between 185 and 190. I have an average tempo swing. I have seen so many different shaft options on these threads and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on what shaft may be a good place to start?[/quote]

You could certainly try a VS Proto X or an NV X, which I know are stock options.

The VS Proto X may work well....

Does anyone know if the stock Redboard plays true to flex? I have seen many comments about it being whippy, and I hit one indoors the other day (stiff) and it felt pretty loose, but I am not really an XFlex guy. My SS is only around 104.
I would consider the VS Proto, but they are a little weak to flex in my experience.
Kinda off topic, but was wondering if the VS Proto 65S plays about the same as the 70S...

[quote name='mkb3245' post='866758' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:23 PM'][quote name='shank42177' post='866734' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:08 PM']I am in the market for one of these beasts but don't know what shaft option. My swing speed is around 120 and ball speed is between 185 and 190. I have an average tempo swing. I have seen so many different shaft options on these threads and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on what shaft may be a good place to start?[/quote]
Aldila Protopype
Diamana Whiteboard
PM702

Any of those should do the trick.
[/quote]

Yep, those are probably your best options. Angel Cabrera is as big of a swinger as they come and he uses the Aldila Protopype

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 Raw, 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4" - with leading edge grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='rexwrx' post='866582' date='Jan 16 2008, 12:30 PM']I'm now onto my second L4V X. Sold the first one and quickly regretted it. So straight![/quote]

Just curious why you sold the first one?

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 Raw, 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4" - with leading edge grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='tomg1969' post='866928' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:09 PM']Does anyone know if the stock Redboard plays true to flex? I have seen many comments about it being whippy, and I hit one indoors the other day (stiff) and it felt pretty loose, but I am not really an XFlex guy. My SS is only around 104.
I would consider the VS Proto, but they are a little weak to flex in my experience.
Kinda off topic, but was wondering if the VS Proto 65S plays about the same as the 70S...[/quote]

I think we're in the same boat.. and while the stock stff may feel a bit whippy, man, when I've demo'd it outside hitting many buckets of balls, it seemed to hold up quite admirably.

Man, this club is just so straight.. and LONG.

I should have mine within 2 weeks time. :( [b][i]L4VX 9.0* - UST V2 [color="#ff0000"]X[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i] @ 45.5"[/i][/b]. :stinker:
It was quite a leap of faith to ditch my fairway finding - r7 Quad TP 9.5* [i](Tour Issue).
[/i]I game my Drivers at 44.5", @ 278 cpm's. I ordered it @ 45.5" finished length, so that gives me an extra inch if I have to tip trim it any. Can't wait...all these new threads about it are killing me. Did I say I can't wait?............. :) .......oh yeah, I did.
[/color]

I too, would love to hear more from slow swingers who have tried them with the stock shafts. I'm going to try the L4V vs the FTi 10* R and get one or the other. The FTi has been dead center all day long for me when I've demo'd it, but would do a L4V if it's longer and close in accuracy . . . but I really don't have a consistent enough swing to go and get a custom shaft.

Seems like I may be one fo the few "off the rack" guys here, please forgive me.

[quote name='JoeF' post='866674' date='Jan 16 2008, 12:28 PM'][quote name='tburchell' post='866611' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:51 PM']SS: ~90-99
Model: F
Loft: 9*
Shaft: Stock Redboard - Stiff[/quote]

How is this working out for you. I was thinking of a 10* R flex (low 90 SS)
What were you hitting before and how does this compare?
[/quote]

I wasn't really hitting anything before. When I demoed this, I was coming back from a long golf hiatus, and was going basically from brand new. But when I hit this, it seemed right. My SS is more in the mid/high 90s, so you might benefit better with an R-flex. Hit both if you can. Right now, the combo I have is working great.

Where is ROBO?...the Jim Jones (URL for you young uns':[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones"]Jim Jones Wikipedia Link[/url] -- See it even looks like ROBO, just teasin' Bro!) of the COBRA LOVE that is spreading, the Purveyor of THE KOOL - AIDE... my true story, bought this club sight unseen from a fellow Wrx member, threw my Whiteboard that was in my TM Burner TP and now have the straightest, funnest rocket launcher on earth. [b]This driver is wicked Sick! [/b]

Set up: Whiteboard 63X @ 44.5

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

[quote name='rexwrx' post='866582' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:30 PM']I'm now onto my second L4V X. Sold the first one and quickly regretted it. So straight![/quote]

Rexwrx-

WTH?...what are you looking to shaft it with?

Kindest regards, Shawnee

BTW the Burner you sold me last year with the WB is sitting here on the shelf...and the WB rocks on in the L4V!

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

[quote name='CJBrooks' post='867186' date='Jan 16 2008, 08:38 PM'][quote name='golfware' post='866981' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:39 PM']Have anyone tried the L4V with the following:

Whiteboard 63?

UST HMOI?

Aldila DVS 60?[/quote]

I have a L4V X head only on the way to me and a Whiteboard 63X, Whiteboard 73X, DVS 60-X, DVS 70-X, and a Protopype 60 S and X waiting to be installed and taken to the range and monitor, should have a good review up soon.
[/quote]
Looking forward to your review. Cant wait to hear about the Whiteboard. Keep us posted!

I think most of you know...but if not..

L4VX 9.0 - Fuji VTLT X at 45"

Laser guided missile bombs off the tee. I am still debating get another head to put different shafts in just to see how they work. Right now I am leaning against it, as I 100% truly love what I have now...but I DID say the same thing about the V1 Burner/WB combo...30+ yards later, and more accurate then ever..with a boatload....Noah's Ark-load..of confidence...what the heck was I thinking?

L4V.png and repeat as needed

Brian

I'm on my second L4V myself. Had the X model with an Accra XC65. I was hitting it kinda lowish for my taste so I let my buddy try it on the range and he fell in love with it, I couldnt pry it outta his hands, he bought it right then and there from me, lol. I ended up walking into the proshop and picked up the F/10* and had them put the same Accra XC65 in there. I absolutely love this bomber. Perfect ballflight for me with the 10*. Anyone looking for a MINT TM Burner TP 10.5* with an Accra SC75 give me a shout so I can pick up another F/10* and mess around with different shafts!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I referred to it as "Robopti's kool aid" in my post back on Jan. 4th referring to this head. I think I deserve some credit for that term :) Seriously now, as stated in my sig:

L4V X 9.0 with PM702 X-stiff with a D7 swingweight

Got to play only one round with it, damn NJ weather, but high, looong bombs off the tee. Mis hit one off the toe that went 270 and hit my longest drive ever, 337. GPS, Pinseeker confirmed with non paid witnesses :(

I love Accra shafts. I'm surprised they're not getting more love regarding pairing with this head.

[quote name='tomg1969' post='866928' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:09 PM']Does anyone know if the stock Redboard plays true to flex? I have seen many comments about it being whippy, and I hit one indoors the other day (stiff) and it felt pretty loose, but I am not really an XFlex guy. My SS is only around 104.
Kinda off topic, but was wondering if the VS Proto 65S plays about the same as the 70S...[/quote]

The weight of this head and shallow insertion depth makes any shaft play weaker then normal. My speed is in your range 105 106 most of the time. I have 3 of these, 9 and 10 degree F, and the L4VX 9 degree. Ive tried several shafts in the 10 and the launch angle is still to steep. A rombax 5x07 S in the L4VF 9 has been the best setup. The L4VX with the stock has been the longest hitter Of the 3, but I hate the feel of the stock shaft. Im going to try a pershing 55 in the L4VX. I thought the PL red would be good in the 10 degree F and it ballooned the ball worse than the stock shaft.

Im going to do whatever I can to max out the performance of the club. It sets a new standard for accuracy beating even the square setups. I havent seen the distance results yet (not bad but Ive yet to hit that wow shot I have with other drivers like the G10 9 degree PL red setup , burner TP,epon 460. I found an X speed head with 10 degree loft , and the launch angle is perfect, the sluggish feel of the stock shaft is holding it back.

[quote name='bulletbob' post='867340' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:20 PM']I referred to it as "Robopti's kool aid" in my post back on Jan. 4th referring to this head. I think I deserve some credit for that term[/quote]

bulletbob, you owe me $7.95 for dry cleaning. I spilt a whole bunch of it on my shirt... :)
Good to hear you're hitting it well.

[quote name='bulletbob' post='867340' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:20 PM']I referred to it as "Robopti's kool aid" in my post back on Jan. 4th referring to this head. I think I deserve some credit for that term :) Seriously now, as stated in my sig:

L4V X 9.0 with PM702 X-stiff with a D7 swingweight

Got to play only one round with it, damn NJ weather, but high, looong bombs off the tee. Mis hit one off the toe that went 270 and hit my longest drive ever, 337. GPS, Pinseeker confirmed with non paid witnesses :(

I love Accra shafts. I'm surprised they're not getting more love regarding pairing with this head.[/quote]
<---------------Huge fan of Accra shafts!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='sawmillphil' post='867354' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:28 PM'][quote name='bulletbob' post='867340' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:20 PM']I referred to it as "Robopti's kool aid" in my post back on Jan. 4th referring to this head. I think I deserve some credit for that term[/quote]

bulletbob, you owe me $7.95 for dry cleaning. I spilt a whole bunch of it on my shirt... :(
Good to hear you're hitting it well.
[/quote]

No prob Phil, do you accept paypal? So far so good. Have you had a chance to hit yours yet? My only problem is that I keep wondering is there a better shaft to pair it with? I've never been good at leaving well enough alone :)

I got my X today but didn't get to hit it due to the crappy weather. I've been looking at different shafts, trying to figure out which would be the best but there are a lot of varibles, including the heavy head and shallow depth of the shaft. I think given the great potential of this club, I'm just going to spend the extra and get fitted for it on the launch monitor. I'd rather get it right than to keep guessing!

It's amazing how the forum can get so many people to buy the club..."word of mouth" is dead, now it's "word of posting" that will sell. Awesome club and enjoying it immensely!

L4V 9* F Speed in the stock stiff. Hmmh..might toy with the X one day although my head looks like 1/2 deg open to square.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

L4V-X 9*
Accra SC65 47"

I played my first round w/ my new L4V-X w/ Accra SC65 X flex. My SS is 105 w/ index of 7. I can't report back with scientific accuracy as well as Lama but in my very limited testing so far the L4V is a big improvement over my Speed Pro D. On mishits the L4V would get equal or a little better distance. On solid shots the L4V was a good 10 yards longer on average. The real key for me was grouping. On some holes I hit 6 or so tee shots and they would all be grouped tight in the fairway. This club is definitely a gamer I might need to fine tune the shaft length to get the most out of it though. I know it is long but I'm not having trouble hitting the fairway so I'm gonna game it for a while before I either trim the butt or tip or both. Excess backspin is not an issue as with the stock shaft I demoed that's for sure. I don't have LM numbers but you don't really need one to see the massive difference. I hope to report back more later.