2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why do instructors keep harping on the grip?

Lots of players throughout history have had what most instructors would class as less than ideal backswings, so what is correct? If someone changed Furyk and Wolff's backswings we probably wouldn't know who they are. How about Daly across the line and way past parallel, or Snead being inside back and over on the way down? Through history, lots of great players took it away inside and were over on the downswing. A sound backswing might make it easier to transition into a good downswing, but what is sound? If a player reaches the top in a good position, how they got there isn't overly important.

Key term there, GREAT PLAYERS. Your weekend 25 cap doesn't have the talent or athleticism to get back to the ball if they get way out of position in the backswing, hence being stuck at 25 for their entire golf career. And the position at the top isn't just a static check off, it's a dynamic position, so how you get there absolutely is important because it influences what happens next in transition.

Sure, but there was a point in time in Furyk's life and Wolff's life when they were learning and didn't carry a plus handicap index and that holds true for all of the great players. They weren't always great and though I don't know, I expect that they learned how to match things up on their own without much intervention from coaches. If an instructor had changed them early on in life, would we know who they are?

Most of the greats today were great early as well, Wolff won a ton as a freshman and won on tour at age 20, it's laughable to think he wasn't anything but hyper talented as a kid. Folks who use odd-ball greats as a reason to have a wacky swing simply are looking for something for nothing. The reason most people are bad at golf is because they have bad swings, if you want to get better you gotta put in the work, there is no magic in a bottle.

Grip - personally, wrong grip is the main reason I go to shank city.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

I agree that there are many poor ways to move off of the ball which is why I said that 'if a player reaches the top in good position' it doesn't really matter how they got there. I think there are a lot of teaching pros who would change a players backswing based purely on looks and not function. If the player transitions into a good place, then how they got there doesn't much matter.

Would those odd-ball greats still be great if an instructor had told them that their backswing mattered? Their transition matters, how they got there doesn't, clearly there isn't just one way. For a total beginner, it may be easier to teach them a symmetrical swing, it might also be easier for them to work with their natural tendency if it allows for an athletic move.

Furyk and woolfe have great backswings.

Most golfers who shoot over 80 do not.

PS-“Tour players X does __________,” isn’t an argument that makes it okay to do it.

Freddie couples gets his elbow way away from him, goes way across the line, has a big cup in his wrist.......and was amazing. The number of golfers allowed to keep all of those things in their backswing and improve is the same as Blutarski’s GPA.

Elite players at any age are not taught the same way as handicappers.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My point is to stop HARPING on the grip. Some people have limitations, comfort levels, body types, etc....

I wholeheartedly agree letting the player learn (A) grip, but once they do stop trying to change it and get it to some perfect grip. If they are a little weak or strong LET IT GO, that's their golf personality now teach them sequence in the swing, backswing, take away, proper sequencing with lowerbody and upper.

Stop trying to make someone have Tigers grip it's idiotic! And yes I have been to several instructors and my kids as well and a lot of these instructors can't get past the grip, they are always bring it up. LET IT GO and teach the person something that's going to help them!

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I enjoy spending time with my exwife more than I like changing people’s grips.

i only do it when it’s absolutely the root cause of the problem.

There is no universal correct grip, but there are certainly grips that prevent people from not being terrible.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

How one gets there certainly does matter. I've seen more backswing around here that look good at the top but are flawed because of how they arrived at the top - one example, people take the club outside by moving arms away from body, end up having to lift arms to complete the swing (and sometimes complete the turn with their shoulders not their torso) - can look pretty good at the top - but disconnected, insufficient torso turn, and out of synch with little hope in fixing it in transition.

And pros certainly work on their backswing.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

What makes a great backswing though, what criteria? In very simple terms, the backswing is a means to create distance between the club head and the ball so you can create enough force to hit the ball. Let me ask you this, do you even need a backswing? For instance, if you started from a static top position with the club, hands, face, body etc., in a good fundamental position, could you learn to hit the ball from there as well as if you started with the club behind the ball? I'm willing to bet that a player could learn to do this without giving up much distance or accuracy. Heck, Monte could likely beat us all starting from a static top position, (this could be a good hustle!). Kind of like Gankas' freezers but starting from there.

Your data set is way too small to be making generalizations. As noted, it's your experience. Best directed at those teachers in a constructive fashion.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

There is certainly variability in people's golf swings - AMG has pretty much given a lot of data on what the pros do versus am - in pretty much all facets of the swing, pressure, sequence of movement, tilts, etc.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

You said transition matters and not how they got there - not too many folks have good transition given a poorly sequenced, etc backswing.

Warren appreciates you like sandwiches.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified