2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Push carts/electric or manual? Brands?

aquapig

So after years of riding, I've decided that I want to start walking. I carried by bag the other day and..no thanks.

So know I'm looking into push carts. I'm starting at ground zero and have no clue on brands, features that may be important (cup holder, seat, etc). Also is it worth the extra money to get electric?

I'm 45, in good shape, play in Florida on a flat course.

With membership at an all time high at my club, pace of play in the winter is stupid slow. So riding in a cart makes little sense (hurry to your ball and wait). Also thought I'd benefit from the extra exercise.

So anyone with experience have advice for me?

Much appreciated

I play with an older model LectronicCaddy remote control cart. It is totally awesome. It took a few rounds to get used to it but now I don't even think about it. You just wander down the golf course, pushing and carrying nothing!! It cost me $300 used. The retail was closer to 1800 when it was new. You can get a Batcaddie for about 800, new. I'll be upgrading to a new CaddieTrek this spring. It's the cart that follows you.

I have one of these that's probably 30 years old and still running:http://www.intheholegolf.com/CR-FR/Clubrunner-Electric-Cart.html

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Love my PowerKaddy C2i. Super compact (smaller than a Clickgear), silent, and very long battery life. The only downsides are the way the bag sits on the cart (they have a stupid design to encourage you to buy a PowerKaddy custom bag) and it’s a little tippy on hilly courses (mine is very hilly). Also, I kind of wish it was remote controlled but probably not a great idea on my course due to the comment above.

I use a QOD electric trolley. No remote control, but I didn't want that. I had tried one and felt distracted by the controller, although I could probably have adjusted to that. The biggest advantage of the QOD over some of the others is how compact it is when folded. So far its been very reliable, after 2 years of use.https://qodgolfusa.com/

The top joint is adjustable, so I think it can be adapted for a taller player. It DOES want to run downhill, a function of the one-way hubs on the drive wheels. I play a VERY hilly course, and its manageable, but its definitely a factor to consider.

I've pushed and carried. There's nothing close to a remote controlled cart. When I carry now I use a Sunday bag with 8 clubs. Pushing seemed to hurt my back and will definitely tire you out compared to just walking around with a remote in your hand.

I currently walk 18 with the remote every Monday and Wednesday. Friday I use a riding cart for 18. I also cycle on the other 4 days a week (I cycle about 60 miles a week). So I don't need to be pushing a cart around.

Lots of people don't like the remote when they only use it a few times. You definitely have to get used to it. I don't find it distracting in the least any more. My cart is usually 50 to 100 yards ahead of me tee to green. I don't take it near greens too often as I pull the putter and/or iron as I approach the green and then send the cart off toward the next tee box.

BTW. Nothing negative about the lectronickaddy. They even still have support and parts for my old machine! There is just one thing, I guess, it does not turn real well on down hills. Sometimes you need to stop and start it with a turn. It's no big deal though.

That's really great info..thank you.

I definitely don't want to carry a bag, so that's out. I've never pushed a cart, but can't see how that would be overly tiresome on a flat course like mine. But the ability to just be able to walk without pushing anything would be ideal.

So I guess it now comes down to what brand, type, features and new or used.

I know only of 4.

batcaddie $800 remote only

Lectronickaddy $1800 remote only

caddietrek $1400 with follow and remote

Stewart $2500 with follow and remote

All of them function fine. I know of a few guys with the first 2. They do just fine. Our course is 27 holes in central Florida, so pretty flat. Each of our greens is a pedestal and I have no problems up the steep slopes at the green. As I said I'm going with the caddietrek this spring. You can use a remote, it'll follow you, it'll march in front of you or you can push it. You put the sensor on your belt and the darn thing paces 6 steps behind or in front of you wherever you walk. You don't need the hand remote to control it.

I've been using an MGI ZIP X3 (non-remote) for about 1-1/2 years and have about 560 miles on it, playing a mostly flat course 2-3 times a week. I've posted about it here several times. I owned a Lectronic Kaddy for about 6 years (bought used on EBay) and still have a ClicGear 3.0 that I've probably had for 10 years. So my takes.

The ClicGear is excellent. Other than a few alignment and brake adjustments, it is very reliable. It folds and unfolds quickly and into a reasonable package that fits in my smallish trunk along with my bag, etc. It certainly beats carrying a bag on the shoulder.

The LK was built like a tank (and about as subtle as one). Two motors (needed for remote steering), steel body, and lead battery made it feel like a tank two. You had to take it apart into 4 pieces to get it in the car (and of course reassemble them when you played)... on more than one occasion I forgot one of the pieces (or the remote) and had to rent something from the course. It was loud enough that everyone knew you were coming. However, it was nice to walk alongside of it, swinging your arms at full pace using the remote or sending it to the next tee. To me the biggest issue was the battery was barely large enough for 18 holes and didn't last much more than a season. I believe they enlarged the battery well in later models (I considered getting the tin snips out). I finally gave it away rather ten try to find yet another battery replacement. Instead I replaced the whole unit for the MGI.

Compared to the LK the MGI is like a 90 GMC SUV to a BMW I3 (basic version not the all bells & whistles model ... that's the MGI ZIP Navigator). Very slick design that is very functional. It pack and unpacks faster and slicker than the ClicGear, and makes a smaller package because you can invert the wheels. The Lithium battery is small and can be left on or taken off the unit putting it in the trunk. The battery also charges faster and I've played 36 holes on a charge. So far, after 1-1/2 years I don't notice and change in the battery's capacity. Without a remote I have to keep the unit close to me and from stop I have to muscle it to turn it the way I have to with the manual CG. The MGI is also nearly silent and some of my playing companions have had to ask me if I'm using a motorized cart. While it does a lot of what a manual cart does, by the end of the day (actually the last 6-7 holes) my body feels less achy and I feel fresher. The are also some slight uphill holes where I would leave my bag off to the side after hitting to (or at least near) the green and take the clubs I need to finish the hole and tee off on the next) and get the cart on the way back on the next hole. No problem walking with the MGI up any hill.

• Like 1

I've had a Motocaddy M3 Pro the last two seasons and have nothing but good things to say about it. One of the huge benefits to me are the Easilock pin adapters/pins in the bottom of their branded bags. The pins seat into the bottom of the cart and lock it in place - you could honestly play without strapping the back in at all, its that sturdy. Battery wise, I've played 36 at my club without a charging issue. Its just a good sturdy well made cart.

If you go electric, if I had one piece of advice it would be to spend less than you want the first time around - to see if you even like it. Check out Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace - whatever you may use for local sales on stuff like that. Probably wont take long to find a used one.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I’ve never used a motorized cart for walking, so due respect to the wisdom imparted above.

I have carried. And I have used push carts. In the end, the push carts win out for me. A lot of brands out there, Clicgear 3.5 seemingly the top dog right now. My bagboy is 10 years old and works fine for what I need. I am currently looking at a 4 wheel option for stability on my hilly courses over the three wheel model I have now.

For the cost, and since you’ve offered that you play flat courses and you have good health, I recommend saving the money and getting a push cart. You won’t be worn out by it. I am in a similar boat and have rolling terrain to work with.

While I am happy with my choice, YMMV.

Let us know what you decide!

All great info and very much appreciated.

At this point, I think I may just get a decent push cart and see how I like it.

Any one use the TGW? And should I get a 3 or 4 wheel? What are the reasons or advantages of a 4 wheel vs 3? Any features that are MUST haves? ei, seat?

I am currently transitioning from carrying to a pusher/motorized pusher. I just purchased a Rovic RV1s push cart, and will be adding an Alphard Golf eWheels V2 kit to the cart. (www.tomsfinds.com/ewheels if you are interested). My brother has used the eWheels V1 on his pusher for two years now and raves about it.

Really like the Rovic as a pusher by itself. My buddy has a Clicgear 3.5 and I think I like the setup and functionality of the Rovic better. It's all personal preference tho.

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

I really like my Clicgear 3.5 because of how easy it is to fold up. The accessories that are available for it are a bonus as well. I have the Sand Bottle and shoe brush attached to mine. There are others that I'm interested in, but haven't felt the need for them yet....like the seat on slow days.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I did not think the seat was worth it, I had one on my 3.0 and it was definitely not that stable. Besides I really found myself never using it. I did take the accessory loops from the Clic and kluge them onto the Motocaddy so I could use all the accessories. Currently using the sand bottle and accessory bag on the Motocaddy.

As far as the ewheels go - I guess when you add the cost of that to the cost of a new push cart if you have to buy one, you are nearing the cost of a fully integrated unit anyway. A couple of manufacturers will even sell you demo units on their site - at least they did as of a couple seasons ago. BatCaddy has a number of units in the 400-800$ range.

Good information about the seat. It's just something that I've thought about, but never thought I would use it enough to justify the purchase.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Personally I just dont see it, again I had it and almost never used it. If your back is so bad that pushing an 18 hole round creates that much pressure on your spine - you should probably be riding. Or getting an electric.

Another annoyance with the seat was having to unlatch/relatch it every time you folded up the cart or unfolded it. It was one more thing to pack in the car when I went.

As always, your mileage may vary.

The best price I could get on a Clicgear 3.5 involved signing up for Golf Galaxy's email list, and, combining it with one of their sales promotions. The only con, I have, is the included cup holder is fine for a can (or, similar size bottle). I bought a XL Sun Mountain cup holder to hold my water bottle. The Cart mitts are great in cold weather, but, probaly not needed in Florida.