2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bet you haven't been hit by someone like this!

sethdavidsdad

When I was younger and stupider… I would pop the ball out of the hole with the putter. If I was mad about how I scored on that hole I might take a swing at the ball in the air. the last time I did it I connected. hit my buddy in the brim of his cap. luckily the ball went over the brim and not under it. hit him in the head, not the face. whew!!! Obviously why that was the last time I did something so stupid.

next day he is wearing a baseball helmet 

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

This topic brings back a memory from years ago when I was starting out! Thankfully it was just a close call, but plenty scary nonetheless! 

I was playing with a couple of college kids I met on the first tee and paired up with. Nice kids and we were all around the same level of mediocrity. The 4th hole was a gentle dog-leg left with a huge bail-out area to the right to accommodate slicers. I hit my tee shot and was waiting with my cart to the left and a bit ahead of the elevated tee box. I know that was a horrible place to stand but I was pretty new at the game but I wasn't paying enough attention. All of a sudden I hear the sound of a tee-shot and look up in time to see a white blur flash past my eyes. If I had been standing a foot forward I would have caught it square in the temple - yikes ...! The one that hit the shot was properly mortified and apologetic but I couldn't possibly be mad because I was absolutely in the wrong for standing where I was. 

After all was said and done, we had an uneasy laugh at what could have been and then proceeded to hack and shank our way through the hole. 

Since then I have made a mission of keeping my situational awareness on point lol ...

Stay safe out there guys ...!

WITB (Spring 2024):

Driver:               Mizuno MP600 (9.5*)

3W:                    Titleist 909F2 (15.5*)

Hybrid:              TaylorMade Burner Rescue (19*)

Irons:                 Mizuno MX-200 (4-G)

Wedges:            Vokey Oil Can (54*); Mizuno MP-T (58*)

Putter:               Odyssey White Steel 2-ball SRT

Ball:                   Srixon Q-Star Yellow / Kirkland Signature v3 Yellow

Years ago a client invited me to join him in a charity scramble.  They were terrible golfers.  On one of the holes the tee box was about 30 yards back from where you had to park the carts.  The group ahead of us was still in the fairway only about 250 yards out so I stayed in the cart to wait.  As I'm sitting there enjoying the day I hear someone hit and instantly a yell of FOUR!!!!  The ball came into the cart from my back left past my ear and broke the cart's windshield.  It could have been deadly.  They should never have even been teeing a ball up with the group still in the fairway right in front of them.  That was my closest call of being hit.

• 1 month later...

Got hit at a driving range.

I am lefty and the 'offender' was lefty too.

straight line of mats, a lower level and an upper level.  He was on lower, I was on upper.  Maybe 30-40 yards separated us.

He was with his friends - seemed like they were fooling around with wild swings.

He hit a ball, the trajectory was a low screamer - basically perpendicular from his stance.

The ball hits me on the fly on my right foot - hitting a section of my outside ankle bone.  I went down.

He comes over.  And starts saying "dude, I'm sorry"  "are you OK dude" I didn't say anything because I could not tell how bad it was (and I'm not his dude).  He was insistent to shake my hand - I waved him away.  He left.  I limped around for awhile and went home.  Had a really bad bruise and was sore for over a month.  Luckily nothing broken though.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

My worst golfer best friend tees up on #1 and proceeds to shank the crap out of the ball.  Hits his own tee marker (6 feet in front of and to the right of him), we all hear this big CRACK but don't see anything.  I thought it deflected up so I"m looking out that trajectory, people are looking all directions, and all of a sudden it thunks him on the shoulder.  The way he dropped to his knees I thought he had an MI, he said is scared him more than anything because no one had any idea what was going on.  We laughed so long and so hard the marshall came over and threatened to eject us until we got him up to speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the days when some courses made a big deal about standing to the side of par 3 greens and letting the next group hit up,  I had my arms folded and lost sight of a tee shot and caught it right on the forearm. I remember that it hurt quite a bit and was the 8th hole or so and I quit for the day. I have hit two people, quite by accident, generally when the next hole comes back a similar direction. The last one, the guy was on the next tee and I sliced my approach right into them. I yelled fore. I am a football and soccer coach, no way did they miss hearing me from 150 yards out, the whole course heard me. But the guy made no move to protect himself and he got it right in the middle of his back. He came back and wanted to fight. I was more than willing. The three randoms I was paired with told him to get bent when he insisted I hadn't even yelled fore. He wouldn't let it go. Several times in the next few holes he chirped at me or would sit in the fairway and pretend to hit back at us on the tee. 

In junior golf I was standing next to the tee box markers. Slightly behind the markers while a kid teed off. Thought I was in a good spot. Well kid shanks one backwards somehow and hits me in the right upper thigh. Thankfully it leans to the left but I stood there in shock from being hit and then how the hell it happened. Needless to say I don't stand anywhere near the markers anymore.

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Witnessed a similar incident last year.  My neighbor who I golf with on the weekends decided to go for the hero shot outta the rough instead of pitching it out into the fairway.  He didn't aim out to the right enough and the ball comes out of the thick grass, hits the tree 10 yards in front of him, and hits him square in the top/middle of his forehead.  This guy is the definition of toxic masculinity and says he's totally fine and doesn't need to go to the hospital even though I suggested he should.  He plays the rest of the round with a raging headache.  To top things off, he decides to drive us back home even though I offered to drive his car. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Played a few years ago with my wife as she typically just drives the cart around. The course was busy and slow that day. She is sitting in the cart parked on the path behind the green waiting for me to finish putting and Im putting my putter back in my bag. The next thing I hear is a ball click on cement and then pinging around inside the cart.

This group of degens behind us, didnt even wait for me to get back in the cart before they hit and sent their shot, it hit short of the green on the cart path but launched all the way to the back of the green and hit inside our cart, bouncing off my (at that time) pregnant wife. It didn't hurt her, but the amount of rage inside of me in that moment I could have bench pressed a minivan 

• 4 weeks later...

It was a time a long time ago but I remember this like it was yesterday. Hole #4, long par 5. About 125 from the green there was a pretty good rise in the fairway, the green was sunken down on the other side of it. There was a big flagpole to the right of the hill. When you got over the hill you had to raise the flag so the next group knew someone was down there. I was about 40 yards or so from the green. My partner was down closer to the green and was turned facing me. Someone behind us hit & Damon took that ball on the fly right in the left side of his chest. I still remember that sound. He dropped like a rock. Scared the crap out of all of us. 2 holes later he started coughing up a little bit of blood. We got him to the hospital, he ended up having a pretty bad bruised lung. Saw another guy in a scramble that took one to the back of the head. That was a bloody mess. 

I had a 200yd shot hit the sleeve of my shirt once. OTOH, After my partner pulled his tee shot way left he started walking towards it and when I was teed up he was 40 yds away and ducked behind a tree. I low-hooked my tee shot into the trunk of a tree 10 yds in front of my partner, it caromed back, and hit him right in the nutz.

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hit 2x, once in head, luckily just back of the temple, I thought a playing partner hit me with a practice swing, I dropped my driver, we got a bag of ice and we continued on( no fore was heard) I belonged to a private club, my buddies and I called the culprit the headhunter every time we saw him, 6 months later he quit the club. Next time it was my mistake I was a hundred yards out on the side the fairway waiting for one of my foursome to hit looking into the sun and he drilled me in the calf.

I tell these stories because I finally hit a playing partner my self, 1 year ago I was playing a very exclusive private club, 18th hole par 5, I was playing very well and I hit a very big drive down the left side into some rough ( I will mention we all had a few beers and were feeling very good)I hit terrible pushed low 6 iron short of the green and said to my buddy let me hit another one, unknown to us our 2nd cart slipped past us about 80 yards down the hill and to the right. I hit the exact same terrible push and just as we screamed fore our buddy gets out of cart and I nailed him in the top back of the head, he dropped to his knees just as we arrived, I was overwhelmed with guilt, crying like a baby, he was okay but bleeding like crazy, ice and a towel stopped the bleeding. I'd never come close to hitting anyone in 40 years, we went in for a drink and all I could think was I could have killed him, I'm never playing again.

The next day, still feeling guilty and bummed out I called my best buddy who I've been playing golf with for 30+ years and told him what happened and that I was never going to play again, he said hold on, haven't you been hit 2x, I said yes, he said well you still have 1 more person to hit to make you even, I busted out laughing and said yes but I'm not going collect on it, I'm still playing!

Edited by jjr
  • Haha 1