Playing partners

What's your worst nightmare?
In your opinion what is the absolute worst kind of person you could be drawn to play with? You know, you have to spend 4 hours in this guy's company and you just know you are going to hate every minute of it. So much so you even consider feigning bird flu the night before the game as a semblance of an excuse to get you out of this situation. :)

For me, its the boring player. The guy who doesn't speak, only to sort the scores. Golf is less about the competition, and more about the laughs and the chat now, so I like to play with some fun people.

Usually if I encounter someone grumpy, I'm extra nice and fun! :rolleyes: Even if it doesn't make them smiley, it makes me feel better! Thankfully I've never been told to rack off just yet, and usually end up having a marvellous time. Its strange really because most of the time off course I think I'm a total arse! Maybe I have bi-polar disorder....

Anyway, over to you! :welcomeani:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly?

My ex-wife. Turning up with a +2 handicap and saying 'I used all the money I got from you in the divorce settlement to pay for lessons....' :)

Beat that.

Or my head against the nearest wall probably...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

The worst kind of people are the ones that tell how great they are the entire round, and after every shot claim you hit the perfect shot, adn then blame some outside factore, or after every putt say "how did that not go in" Or god forbid they actually hit a good shot, and then you have to hear about it for the next 4 holes. We have one member at my club like this, everyone avoids him the the black plag, but now it's getting to almost be a novelty you hear the smae stories about the same shots round after round, as long as there are two or three to laugh him and you're not by yourself it's kinda bearable.

[quote name='mat562' post='823034' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:15 PM']My ex-wife. Turning up with a +2 handicap and saying 'I used all the money I got from you in the divorce settlement to pay for lessons....' :)[/quote]

Well, atleast the money went to a good cause :P In all seriousness, thats harsh I have to admit.

For me its my boss. Completely crap at golf, and always wanting to make suggestions. 'Great golf shot' is one of his favorite comment.

I can't stand getting paired up with people new to the game. Shoot me for being honest.

Pace of play is soooo slow for most beginners, letting people play though never occurs to them, and for the most part, they have no clue where to leave their bags or park the carts if they ride, etc. Am I supposed to help them remember, yup. Do I enjoy it, not so much.

[quote name='Grum' post='823143' date='Dec 13 2007, 02:49 PM'][quote name='mat562' post='823034' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:15 PM']My ex-wife. Turning up with a +2 handicap and saying 'I used all the money I got from you in the divorce settlement to pay for lessons....' :)[/quote]

Well, atleast the money went to a good cause :P In all seriousness, thats harsh I have to admit.

For me its my boss. Completely crap at golf, and always wanting to make suggestions. 'Great golf shot' is one of his favorite comment.
[/quote]

I once played with one of my old bosses. He said 'unlucky Mat' [i]after just about every shot[/i].

300-yard drive a yard into the semi? 'Unlucky Mat...'

50-foot putt lagged up to 18 inches? 'Oh.. Unlucky Mat...'

Pitch from 50 yards that finishes a foot away? You get the idea...

If I remember rightly, I shot even par that day too. And upon remarking 'just missed breaking par' his reply was: 'Really? That was unlucky...' :rolleyes:

The original poster did ask for your WORST NIGHTMARE.

Be honest; even the slowest player on earth, with chronic halitosis, and in the midst of a 'I can't understand it, normally I'm a really good player... last week i shot 69....' round of 100 with 8 lost balls - and with his entire holiday photograph collection in the side pocket of his golf bag - couldn't be worse than my ex-wife example...

Nothing could.

Even the bloke in Midnight Express had it easy compared to that.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

As a new player who plays pick up on local munis, I always fear I'll be the weakest link. I try to play ready golf, hit it solid straight, and not loose track of the ball. I think my worst infraction occurred when it was dusk in the late fall. We were in sunlight, but the fairway was half covered by dark shade, and kept loosing my ball in the contrast of the light. The other guy was a prince about it, but I really felt bad that I had to keep turning to him for help.

My worst, or favorite pairing, I got stuck with three boys. The oldest was 10 the youngest, I don't even know but he was small. The parents left them there to play 9 holes before they had to go to a soccer match!

Believe it or not I had fun. Talk about no pressure.

Honestly, they were very good boys. During the later holes, they kind of lost their focus and started bickering to each other about things that only little boys understand. When I encouraged them to focus on their next shot, they snapped to and went at it. They were good players for their age, and it was clear that if they kept at it they would be great.

[quote name='Grum' post='823143' date='Dec 13 2007, 02:49 PM'][quote name='mat562' post='823034' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:15 PM']My ex-wife. Turning up with a +2 handicap and saying 'I used all the money I got from you in the divorce settlement to pay for lessons....' :)[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, my boss is also very annoying although he's not that bad. He'll hit a bad shot and go ballistic "F this game, I don't even want to keep playing, I'm leaving, F this, this isn't golf..." So yeah, it can get pretty annoying and especially when he pulls a 3wood from a below feet lie out of the rough, no chance in hell to hit a reasonable shot and you can see it coming a mile away.

The truly worst guys I've played with were 2 guys on seperate occasions who were wayyyy to serious. Both were good but just totally annoying. One of them wanted me to mark my ball anytime it was in his line of site and I responded "Oh, didn't realize it was in your line". He was also so slow it drove me nuts. Jacka$$ took 10 practice swings, then changed clubs, 10 more practice swings and finally hit his 2nd to the par 5. He was short but birdied the hole, he'd better have, he spent 25minutes playing it. Thankfully I lost him at the turn and joined up with the 3some that was behind us. As soon as I joined them, one of them asked "Who the heck was that jerk you were playing with?" lol. Apparently they were not impressed either by the 6 minute preputt routines. I said "I was actually hoping you'd hit into us and he might get the message" lol.

Slooooow for nothing. I can tolorate "focused and with purpose" even on the slow side if the guys is decent but the stupid s*** that just slow you down, I can't.

I played with this one guy in a tourney, did everything 5 times. 5 wiggles, 5 take aways, then he rolled his tonge 5 times and blinked 5 times before every shot!!! Honest to god!!!! Then he'd snapped the club back, come over the top and snap hook it somewhere that isn't on the property deed. After two holes I turned to my cart buddy, which I'd just met and I said "Is it just me?" and with no further explanation needed he replied "Please stab me in the eyes with a tee" LOL it was a long day!

[quote name='tom111869' post='825041' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:52 PM']I also hate The Commentator. The guy who talks about each shot he hits for 5 minutes after the shot.[/quote]

This is the worst for me... I don't like the guy who marvels over every shot I hit either. I hit it 15 feet away with a sand wedge, and some guys complement me way too much. :)

Things that annoy me

1. People that are two lazy to mark there balls when its on the green. If its not your putt mark your ball and get the hell out of the way. (Note if I can see your ball on the green its in my line)

2. People that complain about slow play beginning on the first tee. I know people that get so worked up about slow play they ruin their rounds . Then you get in and they are still complaining and you tell them you finished in under four hours and they point out that they played by themselves Mon morning in two Please People wait all week to get on the course then b**** cause its slow crazy. Smell the roses. Even worse enter a tournament and get worked up because its slow duhhhhhhh tournaments are slow.

3 People that talk or move when its my turn. (note fellows its my turn from the moment I pull the club my preshot is part of the shot) I love it when they say how can you see that

I am sure there are other things but these are the high lights.

A lot of people I understand dont want to play with me because I let crap like this bother me :)

Definately has to be the ones who tell you whats wrong with your swing constantly. I actually politely walked off the course when I paired up with someone like that, because it plays with my head, and my swing, and pretty soon I can't even take the club back at all.

Also, club grabbers. They check out every club in your bag by taking it out and looking at it, without asking.

[sign here]

in tournaments: people who don't know the rules and start arguing with their scorer, who told them the right thing. i don't even mind it so much, if i have to score them, but i hate it, when such an argument between two playing partners goes on for the rest of the round.
in other cases: people who tell you that you've "moved your head", whenever a shot goes wrong. there are a lot of those people out there, who obviously think, that that's the only mistake you can make in golf swing.

but, of course, nothing beats mat's ex-wife. the only thing, that could top that, would probably be an ex-wife, who refused to pick up golf, when they were still married, and THEN acted like this after the divorce.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I definately gotta go with the slow player, but the worst for me is the guy with a temper. Maybe it's just me but I'm realistic and unless I am a really good player, which I am not, I am going to hit a bad shot more than once a round. I'm out there to have a good time and I don't appreciate someone with a temper and unrealistic expectations trying to ruin my round.

people with REALLY lousy etiquette. Don't fix their ball mark, don't mark their ball, don't grab the pin, don't rake the trap, don't play when it's their turn, step in your line.

If you don't want take penalty strokes or follow the scoring rules, I could care less. But etiquette matters to everyone you are playing with.

If they are new to the game and need help learning, no problem. But there are people I've played with that have played for years and never learned anything about etiquette. They don't even know HOW to fix a ball mark, much less be troubled enough to actually fix one.

I've played w/just about ecvery variation of player there is. I am no picnic myself at times, but I always want everyone who plays w/me to have a good time and enjoy the round. I have seen the club tosser way to many times and have come to words and such at times. I will not tolerate this type of player when they damage the course, disrespect the course and generally are a pain in the a$$.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X