2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing partners

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh man, great thread.
I call a guy i sort of know to play 18 at an upscale public here in the DC area (location so you know the types of agencies about)
We are paired with a 3rd person, nice guy, very good golfer, say 50 or so...
My bud decides to whip out his pipe and smoke some dope, at which time i am horrified as i was working for some places that would obviously frown on that, your typical places that require tests, detectors, etc..
I of course go ballistic.
5 holes later, more dope.
Then he starts giving this guy instructions who is at least 15 hcap better than him.
I never played with him again, for obvious reasons.

I've played with almost about every personality out there, but to me.........the WORST are the [b]constant Cell Phone users[/b], listening to the ridiculous garble, generic business talk and idiotic dialogue. Most of the conversations I hear really don't even require a phone call.

I realize sometimes you've gotta pay attention to business, but having a playing partner CONSTANTLY on their cell phone gets very, very annoying to me. I don't mind checking messages at the turn, or while waiting on a backed-up teebox, but some people can't tear themselves away from these irritating little devices.

I played in a junior tournament this year where a kid in the group in front of me was the only one in his group who spoke english. The other three all spoke spanish and were having a great time, and there he was keeping all to himself. The play was really slow, so we caught them on the tees of most of the par 3's, so at least he could talk to some people for a little bit. I felt bad for him.

I don't like playing with people that do Enron math. You know, the folks that move their ball or don't count drops. I trully believe that if you are going to count, you should count them all. I have played many of rounds and not counted. I was just out having some fun with freinds or by myself and just needed to work on something or blow off some team. But, if you start counting, you have to finish.

I played with this guy from work (not anymore). He siad he shots in the mid 80s. I like cool. I shot low 90s, high 80s. So, I'm thinking that I can watch this guy and see what I need to improve on to drop a few shots.

Well, I found out that I need to learn how to kick my ball to a better lie or move it from behind a tree when before I hit. There was this one whole where we were both short of the gree on a side hill lie. I hit mine to about 10ft (nice shot from the lie). He moves his to a flat part and his it to 3ft. I miss my putt to make bogey. And would you believe that he gave himself a par. WTF. Now, ask me what department he works in: Accounting.

The guy i usually play with (at least once a week all summer long) has only beaten me twice (once on a course i had never played on, the other..my game was just off), well...he's always on his phone, stands over the ball for a full two minute before he hits the ball, ALWAYS checks for wind, when he misses, he blames the wind...but the most annoying thing...

whenever i miss a makeable putt (my flat stick is prob. crooked cus i miss some short ones), he always putts from the same spot to show me where the break is...F***er, of course i can make it now since i see what my last putt did. *sigh*

I hate to be paired with someone that is silent the whole round. I think I play my worst when it gets really serious. I hope that changes in the long run

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

1. The constant talker who feels I was put on this earth so he would have someone to talk to during the round. Does he not have any friends or family and feels like he needs to trap me with his endless stories, commentary and old worn out jokes for 4 hours? This intrusive person also is usually so uncouth he wants to start playing 200 Personal Questions by asking me about my wife, family, job, etc. instead of keeping his nose in his own business. If someone wants to tell you his personal business, let them tell you. Otherwise, you are being rude and uncouth asking.

2. The guy who talks to my ball. Hey dude, STF up when my ball is going to the hole or from the tee box or wherever else. Talk to your own damn ball. Mine only listens to ME.

3. The guy who continuously asks me what club I hit. Hey guy, you don't have my swing and have any idea why on some holes I would play more club than usual and some less given the type of shot I play. What club I hit has no bearing on what you should hit and most of all, it's none of your damn business. And, please, I really don't care what club you hit either so no need to brag you hit less or more club on that hole.

4. The guy who feels compelled to offer swing advice. If I want an instructor, I'll hire a professional who knows what they're talking about.

5. The slow guy who doesn't watch where he hit his ball, usually because he's too damn busy yapping. Yes, I'll help watch for your ball but it is YOUR responsibility to watch what you're doing and have a general idea where you hit your ball.

Basically, most everything ties back to the original #1: the constant talker. Give me the guy who keeps his mouth shut and is silent the entire round any day of the week. My worst nightmare is Chatty Cathy.

A very good friend of mine - passively competitive. We both play to around the same handicap, and the guy just can't play a nice practice round to save his life. Sometimes we'll just be playing and around the 13th hole he'll say "well, you're up by one, let's see if you can beat me today." I'm thinking "what?" now I'm supposed to be in competition with you, and I didn't know it the whole time? The guy can't play a board game and not start making little competitive comments :russian_roulette:. He's a GREAT friend, but I just don't enjoy playing golf with him. But, he does play fast and play well, so can't complain about that!

I actually do enjoy people who talk....just not about my swing, their shots, etc. I'm out there for 4-5 hours and I'd love to have an interesting conversation. Just not during my backswing :)!

What's interesting here is that some of the posters on this thread are each other's worst nightmare!?! Especially the talkers vs. the non-talkers. And the one poster who (sort of) defended slow play vs. the many slow play haters.

I'm enjoying this thread because I hope it will help me to deal with these nightmare scenarios without a huge effect on my game. I would have to put the people I'm paired with second only to my occasionally crappy game as my biggest challenge to playing a decent round.

I try to consider them just another course challenge, but when it's a slow play player who doesn't think slow play is an issue, I usually don't handle it well. What's worse is that the slow play player usually isn't bothered by anything!?!

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I hate playing with know it all guys. You know the type of guys who tell you all about your equipment and that you are leaving yards on the table with your current shaft. You know the type they usually play candy lime shafts and can't hit it of their shadow. They think they are experts and they have all the latest and greatest shafts and tour heads even though it doesn't help their game (they really only care that they spent all kinds of money on their bag). Then they talk to you like they are insiders to the golf industry, though they are basically lemmings.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

For me it was the drunk guy and his buddy that wouldn't let me play through as a faster single that I ran into this year. He was swillin beers and talking up his game, while his beginner buddy took forever. I had to listen to how he had already played in a scramble that day at another course and carried the team. lol Annoying in the extreme!!!!!!!!!

After three holes I just walked ahead of them and never looked back. I finished eight holes ahead of them and I think he could barely walk by the end.

Don't get me wrong...I love beer. Just in the bar, not on every hole during a round. :haha:

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Super-green, wet-behind-the-ears, slow beginners.

I'm not a golf guru, but these guys need to work out the kinks on weekdays at executive courses before clogging up rounds on Saturdays. It's tough to watch, and I hate being near it, because the shanks are contagious.

In addition to being slow and terrible, the etiquette is non-existent (mostly due to ignorance) so that's also tough to watch. I didn't shell out $100 to give lessons on "who goes first?"

[quote name='withdrew' post='849098' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:21 PM']Super-green, wet-behind-the-ears, slow beginners.

I'm not a golf guru, but these guys need to work out the kinks on weekdays at executive courses before clogging up rounds on Saturdays. It's tough to watch, and I hate being near it, because the shanks are contagious.

In addition to being slow and terrible, the etiquette is non-existent (mostly due to ignorance) so that's also tough to watch. I didn't shell out $100 to give lessons on "who goes first?"[/quote]

Tough one here - I think we should do all we can to encourage newcomers to join the game....but you're right about it being annoying. IMO beginners need to spend more time at the range and chipping green before they kill themselves on the course...or save it for executive courses or pitch-and-putts. Although some beginners get bitten by the bug immediately on the course, I think others are just frustrated/intimidated by hitting crappy shot after crappy shot while their parters nail the ball 10x past theirs.

[quote name='willamette' post='849461' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:12 PM'][quote name='withdrew' post='849098' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:21 PM']Super-green, wet-behind-the-ears, slow beginners.

In addition to being slow and terrible, the etiquette is non-existent (mostly due to ignorance) so that's also tough to watch. I didn't shell out $100 to give lessons on "who goes first?"[/quote]

Tough one here - I think we should do all we can to encourage newcomers to join the game....but you're right about it being annoying. IMO beginners need to spend more time at the range and chipping green before they kill themselves on the course...or save it for executive courses or pitch-and-putts. Although some beginners get bitten by the bug immediately on the course, I think others are just frustrated/intimidated by hitting crappy shot after crappy shot while their parters nail the ball 10x past theirs.
[/quote]
Please don't get me wrong, I'm all for beginners taking up the game and taking the plunge sometime- as a matter of fact, last season, I was the new guy.

But...I spent countless hours at the range, a hundred rounds of weekday golf at pitch & putts, par 3/4 short-courses, and eventually graduated to playing ready golf on a busy saturday. I'm nowhere near my goal of shooting in the 80's, but I can play basically anywhere, at any time without clogging things up or embarassing myself too badly. I just want the same in return...

[quote name='withdrew' post='849098' date='Jan 5 2008, 09:21 AM']Super-green, wet-behind-the-ears, slow beginners.

I'm sorry, do you pay more money to play on these courses than other people. If there is one thing i cannot stand, it is the person that feels they are entitled to something because they have more.

If you have something better to do and can't afford the time it takes to be stuck with or behind these beginners. Can i suggest perhaps only playing 9 holes? Or here is an idea, join a private club, you are less likely to find beginners there and more likely to find people just like you, who feel they are entitled to something.

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty much in the same boat as you, didnt start to take the game seriously too long ago, nowhere near where i want to be but I dont hold anyone up. If i go out to a public course on a Saturday arvo, I know that i am going to encounter really slow beginners, my way of dealing with it is i hire a cart, so im not standing out in the sun all day, take a small transistor radio to listen to music and above all, I enjoy the day. Now i am not saying that this is how you may want to handle it but c'mon dude, lighten up.

[quote name='Croadie24' post='849636' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:18 PM'][quote name='withdrew' post='849098' date='Jan 5 2008, 09:21 AM']Super-green, wet-behind-the-ears, slow beginners.

I'm sorry, do you pay more money to play on these courses than other people. If there is one thing i cannot stand, it is the person that feels they are entitled to something because they have more.

If you have something better to do and can't afford the time it takes to be stuck with or behind these beginners. Can i suggest perhaps only playing 9 holes? Or here is an idea, join a private club, you are less likely to find beginners there and more likely to find people just like you, who feel they are entitled to something.

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty much in the same boat as you, didnt start to take the game seriously too long ago, nowhere near where i want to be but I dont hold anyone up. If i go out to a public course on a Saturday arvo, I know that i am going to encounter really slow beginners, my way of dealing with it is i hire a cart, so im not standing out in the sun all day, take a small transistor radio to listen to music and above all, I enjoy the day. Now i am not saying that this is how you may want to handle it but c'mon dude, lighten up.
[/quote]
It has nothing to do with money or entitlement, I'm not sure where you got that from, but I never said anything like that.

It doesn't sound like you're in my boat at all. "Transistor radio?"

Once again, as I already said, I'm all for beginners. I was a beginner not too long ago. But I practiced OFF THE COURSE during the week, and at the range, till I felt confident and could get the ball airborne and in the general direction I'm aiming 99% of the time.

I've seen guys take 8-10 strokes off the tee, winding up less than 100 yards from the tee box. If you can't get it in the fairway after 10 strokes, pick up and move on. The very same guy reading his 75 foot putt like it's to make a cut on Thursday...do us all afavor and lag it up- feel free to read the more managable putt. I don't think I'm out of line at all. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and I completely understand that- but I think people taking up the game need to be more responsible and not have THEIR FIRST TIME ON A COURSE be a Saturday afternoon. And if they do decide to come on a Saturday afternoon, that's fine too, but KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP AND MOVE TO THE NEXT HOLE.

I don't think this is out of line at all, so if anyone cares to support my POV, I'd appreciate it.
If everyone thinks I'm crazy, I'll go ahead and get a transistor radio and join a private CC.

[quote name='withdrew' post='850555' date='Jan 6 2008, 09:28 AM']It has nothing to do with money or entitlement, I'm not sure where you got that from, but I never said anything like that.

It doesn't sound like you're in my boat at all. "Transistor radio?"

Once again, as I already said, I'm all for beginners. I was a beginner not too long ago. But I practiced OFF THE COURSE during the week, and at the range, till I felt confident and could get the ball airborne and in the general direction I'm aiming 99% of the time.

I've seen guys take 8-10 strokes off the tee, winding up less than 100 yards from the tee box. If you can't get it in the fairway after 10 strokes, pick up and move on. The very same guy reading his 75 foot putt like it's to make a cut on Thursday...do us all afavor and lag it up- feel free to read the more managable putt. I don't think I'm out of line at all. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and I completely understand that- but I think people taking up the game need to be more responsible and not have THEIR FIRST TIME ON A COURSE be a Saturday afternoon. And if they do decide to come on a Saturday afternoon, that's fine too, but KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP AND MOVE TO THE NEXT HOLE.

I don't think this is out of line at all, so if anyone cares to support my POV, I'd appreciate it.
If everyone thinks I'm crazy, I'll go ahead and get a transistor radio and join a private CC.[/quote]

What I was referring to re: entitlement was that I assume you play on a public course? I just don't understand the mindset that only golfers who can shoot below <enter target score here> should be allowed to be on the course at a certain time.

By stating that I felt I was in the same boat as you, I meant I was a beginner not too long ago.

Either way, I am not trying to turn this in to an arguement. Merely suggesting that the public golf course is exactly that, a public setting and if you are not happy with the people who frequent it, there are options open to yourself for avoiding them as well.

[quote name='retep' post='828057' date='Dec 17 2007, 05:21 PM']oh man, great thread.
I call a guy i sort of know to play 18 at an upscale public here in the DC area (location so you know the types of agencies about)
We are paired with a 3rd person, nice guy, very good golfer, say 50 or so...
My bud decides to whip out his pipe and smoke some dope, at which time i am horrified as i was working for some places that would obviously frown on that, your typical places that require tests, detectors, etc..
I of course go ballistic.
5 holes later, more dope.
Then he starts giving this guy instructions who is at least 15 hcap better than him.
I never played with him again, for obvious reasons.[/quote]

Cause he didn't offer you any? ;-)

Malicious types. I can put up with about anything; even though it annoys me, I can even deal with constant unwanted advice if it is well-intended and the person really wants to help. But a smug, nasty type who gets a kick out of doing stuff like saying "NOW KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!" while you're swinging (I've run in to types like this-- high school girls' golf mainly, nothing with more potential nastiness than a teenaged girl).

As long as someone is basically nice, give me the gregarious, the silent types, the worst players, experts, jokers, brooders, whatever. Just keep the meanies away. :haha:

I'd rather play with a novice golfer who doesn't faff about and gets on with things, than a know-it-all off a vanity handicap who talks and acts like a world-beater with his 11" staff bag full of shiny clubs, and flash clothing and 'I can't believe I've shot 95... Usually I'm really good... Yesterday I shot 74 and my friend was saying I should have been a pro...' excuses.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

[quote name='Croadie24' post='850579' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:46 PM']What I was referring to re: entitlement was that I assume you play on a public course? I just don't understand the mindset that only golfers who can shoot below <enter target score here> should be allowed to be on the course at a certain time.

By stating that I felt I was in the same boat as you, I meant I was a beginner not too long ago.

Either way, I am not trying to turn this in to an arguement. Merely suggesting that the public golf course is exactly that, a public setting and if you are not happy with the people who frequent it, there are options open to yourself for avoiding them as well.[/quote]
Once again, you're putting words in my mouth or reading way too deeply into my original post. I never said anything about shooting "below <enter target score here>," I shoot in the 90's (and certainly score in the 100's more than I'd like) but shooting 100 and playing ready golf are not exclusive to one other. Yes I play on public courses, I think the majority of the members of GolfWRX do the same- but there is a code of ethics and etiquitte that we all expect, no matter if you're playing a public or private course, no? Do you expect players to replace divots, fix pitch marks, stop talking during your backswing, first one in the hole tends the flag, <enter golf etiquitte here> no matter where you play? I think your answer would be "YES." Then why can't you expect the same with respect to EXTREME novices learning a little bit more about the game BEFORE "giving it a go" on a busy Saturday, on a public OR private course?

I think players that are taking up the game need to be a bit more responsible and do some research, homework, practice, etc. BEFORE clogging things up on a busy golf day. I know that it's not possible for everyone, and I don't expect someone to have a few range-sessions or a few pitch & putt outings and then be able to break 80. But this has little to do with score, and has nothing to do with class, status, entitlement, or any other idea you can come up with to refute my point. It has to do with a player doing his/her part to make the game enjoyable for themselves and others around them.

Anyone else on-board with me, or am I insane?

[quote name='withdrew' post='851300' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:44 AM']Once again, you're putting words in my mouth or reading way too deeply into my original post. I never said anything about shooting "below <enter target score here>," I shoot in the 90's (and certainly score in the 100's more than I'd like) but shooting 100 and playing ready golf are not exclusive to one other. Yes I play on public courses, I think the majority of the members of GolfWRX do the same- but there is a code of ethics and etiquitte that we all expect, no matter if you're playing a public or private course, no? Do you expect players to replace divots, fix pitch marks, stop talking during your backswing, first one in the hole tends the flag, <enter golf etiquitte here> no matter where you play? I think your answer would be "YES." Then why can't you expect the same with respect to EXTREME novices learning a little bit more about the game BEFORE "giving it a go" on a busy Saturday, on a public OR private course?

I think players that are taking up the game need to be a bit more responsible and do some research, homework, practice, etc. BEFORE clogging things up on a busy golf day. I know that it's not possible for everyone, and I don't expect someone to have a few range-sessions or a few pitch & putt outings and then be able to break 80. But this has little to do with score, and has nothing to do with class, status, entitlement, or any other idea you can come up with to refute my point. It has to do with a player doing his/her part to make the game enjoyable for themselves and others around them.

Anyone else on-board with me, or am I insane?[/quote]

Ok, so i think i am reading a little too much in to your original post. Can i assume then that you have no problem with beginners provided that they dont play unnecisarily slow and have some ettiquete? If so, I am on board with you and apologise for reading too deeply in to your post. I dont think there is anything wrong with beginners provided that they dont pi$$ fart around and repair ball marks, dont talk in backswing etc.

I also want to throw in the 1 thing that has been annoying me alot lately whilst playing. The person who constantly asks, "how far to the pin do you think?" Can you hit your irons a consistant distance and know that each club you hit goes exactly the length you want it too? If no, then shut up and hit the ball, the pin is exactly from where you are standing to where it is stuck in the ground.