Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

Regarding strength training...

I recommend Gym Genius for an app. You can create your own program and track your progress. I use it exclusively now.

For workouts, I'm a firm believer in total body strength - absolutely NOT doing things like working this one body part or that. That type of exclusivity lifting is only for the most advanced lifters who are already well developed and need to bring one part up to par with the other parts. So, stick with compound lifts for now.

Perhaps look up a good 5-3-1 program to follow and don't neglect flexibility.

• Like 1

My CHS is up to 110/115 if I peg it, had some 120 reads on my swing caddie but Jurys out if its accurate.

Been doing;

• Simple lifting the last two weeks and it's made such a difference. Struggled to find weights for home so only got 50KG and a EZ bar but new bars arrived this week so will be working that tomorrow.
  • Med Ball slams, Fit for Golf does one on instagram to the side that works the lats big time....I think this is helping speed/transition a lot 
  • Also doing multiple back/forward/side band walks with glutes fully loaded are good. 

I then just try and swing a speed stick as hard as I can....then goto the driving range and just go full out. 

Interesting to see the differences now.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

On 9/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, JDCON said:

Regarding strength training...

I recommend Gym Genius for an app. You can create your own program and track your progress. I use it exclusively now.

For workouts, I'm a firm believer in total body strength - absolutely NOT doing things like working this one body part or that. That type of exclusivity lifting is only for the most advanced lifters who are already well developed and need to bring one part up to par with the other parts. So, stick with compound lifts for now.

Perhaps look up a good 5-3-1 program to follow and don't neglect flexibility.

Compound lifting is definitely most beneficial for developing dynamic strength and neuromuscular efficiency. However, single joint/isolation lifts, or exclusivity lifting, are certainly not only for the most advanced though. Bodybuilders use single joint isolation to build individual muscle groups of course and if they are “lacking” in a muscle they will up the the volume but beginners need to build muscle in all the groups too. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 4:21 PM, jdl said:

Kucher lets loose with a blistering "GOSH DARN IT!"

Announcers do not apologize for letting the mics pick it up.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, Myherobobhope said:

I was actually doing light weight deadlifts today... 225 and just making sure it didn't hurt anything... 

Watch the deadlifts, my friend, a powerlifting champ blew out his back with a light set of deadlifts. Do research on deadlifts--they're over rated and not worth the downside....

• Like 1

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

8 hours ago, cavemeister said:

Watch the deadlifts, my friend, a powerlifting champ blew out his back with a light set of deadlifts. Do research on deadlifts--they're over rated and not worth the downside....

I’ll check it out... back is still injured. I tore some cartilage back in July...

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 1 month later...

I’m 6’6 250 ex-NCAA baseball player. A few injuries ended my career. I sitting mid 120’s on ball speed. I feel the biggest thing that helps me is the use of the ground and my legs. Even in while playing baseball in college my bench never exceeded 225. But my dead lift and squat was 500+. I’d focus on your lower half and a lot of core. Watch Bryson dechambeau’s workout. He does a ton of hips, core, legs, and side bends. And as we all know he f****** mashes the ball. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth +  9° Driver (turned down to 7°), Fujikura Ventus Black TR Velocore 7x 

Titleist Tsi3  15° 3 Wood, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75 tx flex tipped 1 inch 

Taylormade P770 UDI  2 Iron, Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 10tx 

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW, TT Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 52° 58°, TT Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Scotty Cameron x12  35 inch

Titleist ProV1 Left Dash #38

• 9 months later...

Alright, so this quest is back on… this got sidelined with a cartilage tear in my back (I believe it was related to me doing this poorly)… I’m back and trying to take a healthier approach…

goal is the same 120+ functional speed… this time I have some toys:

1. PRGR speed radar… can’t know how fast you are without one.

2. The stack system. I’m handing my fate to Sasho. Ordered today.

so basically, I spent a new driver worth of money in the pursuit of speed. I turned 40 this year, so if im not gaining, im losing.

here’s my top out with the PRGR before I start with the stack.

let’s go, let’s go.

6645A7F1-5376-4B40-8580-18765CE8CFAD.jpeg

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Hit a PR in deadlift today at 375. Let’s go, let’s go.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Training starts next week. Did my baseline numbers and they were lower than expected… golf trip this weekend and then working on hitting bombs. Full report on stack will follow eventually.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I'm 2 sessions in with the Stack and really enjoying it... I'm not going to post numbers, because they don't seem to align with what I can do... The 117 above on the PRGR hasn't shown up, and I don't think I've lost 10mph of club head speed in the past month.

Need to fiddle with the setup a little bit, might have it too close to get a good reading...

The Stack System itself is awesome, the user interface is simple and easy to use... it shows you what weights to load, and gives you all the rest times and intervals to train on... when you are done, it will put a reminder in your phone for the next session. It's pretty awesome. I'm very curious to see where it goes as it gets "my" numbers and we start branching out into new training protocols.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Round 3 of speed training is done... I'm a little concerned that the programs end coincides with me taking a Christmas trip in less than 40 days, but we will make the best of it! I'll cross that bridge when we get there (I'm not flying with my PRGR and Stack, that would be silly)...

What was interesting today for me, and something I need to ponder a little more in terms of my golf game, is the concept of INTENTION... Scott Fawcett talks about it a decent amount in terms of "mental scorecard" and I can definitely tell the difference on the course between when I'm focused on "good" things vs unfocused or distracted. 

What I found during my speed training, especially the downtime, was if I took the time to think about what I was doing, consider the swing while waiting out the timer, and then swinging with full intention, I tended to hit higher numbers. It was less thinking about what I was doing during the swing, and more just thinking through things ahead of time, making small adjustments and then letting it rip. If I focused DURING the swing on lifting my left heel on my back swing, it had less of a positive impact than if I just lifted it naturally by COMMITTING to swing hard. 

This is something I need to build across my golf game... committing to the shot at hand with a clear and focused result... fully committing to my target and then making a good swing and trusting my mechanics (and my work building those mechanics) will pay off and put me where I need to be. Toss in some smart targeting and the extra yardage I will have from the speed training, and next season will be a banner year for me. Just need to stay focused on staying focused!

I was doing my training today in the gym, and didn't love my footing between the floor and my gym shoes... When I focused on that, it cost me distance... when I just committed to swing hard, my body adjusted and I hit faster numbers. 

I am still adjusting to setting up the PRGR. I had previously hit 117 with my 46 inch driver on the range, and my full intention swings with the STACK haven't hit that potential number yet (the club is shorter, but the app will make it's own calculations). I'm not sure what exactly is generating the difference... It might have just been a peak day with my driver when I hit 117. I still believe I am getting faster, even if my current "potential" is only 113... I'm committed to speed training up until my vacation...

I moved straight from speed training into weightlifting... I'm not sure if that's a smart plan, but I was in the gym and wearing gym clothes, so why not? Most of my speed sessions will likely be followed by a workout. 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

10 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

I moved straight from speed training into weightlifting... I'm not sure if that's a smart plan, but I was in the gym and wearing gym clothes, so why not? Most of my speed sessions will likely be followed by a workout.

That works since speed seems to be your priority, and hopefully it won't fatigue you for big lifts as much as say straight cardio beforehand.  Just keep an eye on good form of course.

I had a mainly squat workout this morning, then saw your PRGR pic above and was inspired to see how my numbers were with my PRGR later in day (just swings in backyard).  Started with several at 110-111.  Didn't think I'd get much more as it's a little cold outside, but kept at it and ended up hitting 119 a few times, 2 in a row towards the end, but no 120.  Seemed the things that helped today were picturing ball flight; a little bigger backswing; and releasing hands around impact.  Gotta get more effective I think at pushing off the ground... and really just get out and swing fast more often!

Good luck on the chase.

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

7 hours ago, joostin said:

That works since speed seems to be your priority, and hopefully it won't fatigue you for big lifts as much as say straight cardio beforehand.  Just keep an eye on good form of course.

I had a mainly squat workout this morning, then saw your PRGR pic above and was inspired to see how my numbers were with my PRGR later in day (just swings in backyard).  Started with several at 110-111.  Didn't think I'd get much more as it's a little cold outside, but kept at it and ended up hitting 119 a few times, 2 in a row towards the end, but no 120.  Seemed the things that helped today were picturing ball flight; a little bigger backswing; and releasing hands around impact.  Gotta get more effective I think at pushing off the ground... and really just get out and swing fast more often!

Good luck on the chase.

Very cool! I haven’t tested driver yet to see if I am swinging it faster, but I’m only 3 sessions in… supposed to play tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

Hit 116 not swinging hard with my driver today… without cleats on.

Very happy with the time I’ve spent training speed. My driver swing feels great. 

Curious to see what things look like next season.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Hit 118 chs with my driver… didn’t feel like I was swinging hard. 

waiting on a replacement prgr as mine keeps giving me weird results.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 4 weeks later...

Hit 121 today with no ball… top speed, obviously…

hoping I can get it to become the average.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Congrats on the progress as well as the return to good health!  A great thread going into the new year…hope it inspires all of us!

From another thread, I’m focused on technique and tempo improvements (too much like Couples right now, without his speed). And now adding weight training, TRX and rowing for my cardio. Won’t get me anywhere near your speeds at 57 yo, but I think we all have 10mph or more in us to go get. 

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

Personally I wouldn't be lifting "heavy" if I were you. It sounds like you're already a big, strong guy. And it sounds like there is a risk in injuring yourself by lifting heavy.

I would try to be more like Jamie Sadlowski. 

Do high reps, low weight. Focus on flexibility. 

Become more like a big cat. Light, nimble, but extremely strong. 

You obviously have plenty of strength to hit the 120's. I don't think that's where you're lacking. You may just need to improve flexibility and your technique. 

2 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Personally I wouldn't be lifting "heavy" if I were you. It sounds like you're already a big, strong guy. And it sounds like there is a risk in injuring yourself by lifting heavy.

I would try to be more like Jamie Sadlowski. 

Do high reps, low weight. Focus on flexibility. 

Become more like a big cat. Light, nimble, but extremely strong. 

You obviously have plenty of strength to hit the 120's. I don't think that's where you're lacking. You may just need to improve flexibility and your technique. 

You don't think Sadlowski lifts heavy? Are you Ronnie Coleman?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGegnCp-Cz/?igshid=1m9i6to9rin9g

1 hour ago, Trippels said:

You don't think Sadlowski lifts heavy? Are you Ronnie Coleman?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGegnCp-Cz/?igshid=1m9i6to9rin9g

Well I am talking about the end product/body. What is Sadlowski in that video? 150 lbs soaking wet? 

The OP is 300 lbs!

That's a totally different story from a 150 lb Sadlowski or a 170 lb DeChambeau.

I do not think the OP lacks strength/size. He's already bigger/stronger than Sadlowski or DeChambeau has ever been. 

21 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Well I am talking about the end product/body. What is Sadlowski in that video? 150 lbs soaking wet? 

The OP is 300 lbs!

That's a totally different story from a 150 lb Sadlowski or a 170 lb DeChambeau.

I do not think the OP lacks strength/size. He's already bigger/stronger than Sadlowski or DeChambeau has ever been. 

Im actually mostly lifting for weight loss… I find I eat better when I lift heavy.

im doing some speed stuff in the gym (medicine ball throws, rotational stuff) and working on mobility stuff (shoulders especially)

I don’t know what Bryson deadlifts… an interesting question.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 1 month later...

So I went on a Trackman yesterday and was at 111 with the new Cobra driver... embarrassing. 

My Stack training was in the same range earlier in the day, and I think my hips are tight from travel and walking the golf course... Getting old sucks (I'm 40)...

Back into the gym today and hopefully speed training more this weekend... On course driver play has been awful... need to spend some time with my coach and clean up my path.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 2/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, Myherobobhope said:

So I went on a Trackman yesterday and was at 111 with the new Cobra driver... embarrassing. 

My Stack training was in the same range earlier in the day, and I think my hips are tight from travel and walking the golf course... Getting old sucks (I'm 40)...

Back into the gym today and hopefully speed training more this weekend... On course driver play has been awful... need to spend some time with my coach and clean up my path.

I just stumbled across this thread and it’s really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing your journey. On Jan 1 I made the New Years resolution to increase my CHS this year to a cruising speed of 120. Like you, I have really enjoyed working on getting healthier with a goal other than just get healthier. I know overall health and longevity in life should be motivating, but I’ve always struggled to stick to the gym long term. 

I set action steps to lift 3x a week following fit for golf and do superspeed training 3x a week. I’ve gone from 106-115 with my driver since Jan 1.

Something that’s really helped me has been paying close attention to my nutrition. I use myfitnesspal to track my calorie and protein intake. I’ve lost 10 pounds since the new year by running a 300 calorie deficit every day. I’m now running calorie neutral and making sure to consume about 2grams/kg of protein while getting enough sleep to support strength gains. 

I’ll be following this thread. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:23 PM, chipa said:

I said standard deadlifts, which are generally with a lot more weight than the deadlift part of a power clean. The power clean deadlift is much more dynamic and of course is easier on the back long term because it entails lifting a lot less weight. For example, a person who is able to deadlift 350 lbs for reps would probably get to a max 200-250 lbs in the power clean deadlift w/o professional instruction.

so i competed nationally in both powerlifting and olympic lifting, along with coaching and training athletes for over 10 years and i’ve never heard of a “power clean deadlift” 

what the hell are you talking about?

Edited by ChipStrokes

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

2 hours ago, chadly643 said:

I just stumbled across this thread and it’s really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing your journey. On Jan 1 I made the New Years resolution to increase my CHS this year to a cruising speed of 120. Like you, I have really enjoyed working on getting healthier with a goal other than just get healthier. I know overall health and longevity in life should be motivating, but I’ve always struggled to stick to the gym long term. 

I set action steps to lift 3x a week following fit for golf and do superspeed training 3x a week. I’ve gone from 106-115 with my driver since Jan 1.

Something that’s really helped me has been paying close attention to my nutrition. I use myfitnesspal to track my calorie and protein intake. I’ve lost 10 pounds since the new year by running a 300 calorie deficit every day. I’m now running calorie neutral and making sure to consume about 2grams/kg of protein while getting enough sleep to support strength gains. 

I’ll be following this thread. 

Join me, my friend…

what are you using for speed training? How are you tracking your speed?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

For sure! I’ve been loving this journey so far. I can’t believe the strength gained I’ve seen so far in the gym. 

I’m using superspeed sticks and following their protocols. Currently, I’m on protocol #2. I also sometimes do some of the drills Mike Carrol has in the app for driver. If I’m still feeling like I have the energy for max effort, I’ll add those on after doing the superspeed protocol. I like his pump drill quite a bit. I use a PRGR to track speeds. 

• Like 2

@Myherobobhope i’ll be following along. good luck on your journey into the 120s!! 

my course swing is somewhere between 128-130, and i've been as high as 140 at the range. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

21 hours ago, chadly643 said:

For sure! I’ve been loving this journey so far. I can’t believe the strength gained I’ve seen so far in the gym. 

I’m using superspeed sticks and following their protocols. Currently, I’m on protocol #2. I also sometimes do some of the drills Mike Carrol has in the app for driver. If I’m still feeling like I have the energy for max effort, I’ll add those on after doing the superspeed protocol. I like his pump drill quite a bit. I use a PRGR to track speeds. 

Mike is a great dude… hoping to outdrive him this fall at an event.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• Myherobobhope changed the title to Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)