P7MC vs P790

MCGolfTM

That would seem like a HUGE leap to me. Most people are comparing P790's with the P770's.

What sort of player are you?

-ZA

• Like 2

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

32 minutes ago, ZA206 said:

That would seem like a HUGE leap to me. Most people are comparing P790's with the P770's.

What sort of player are you?

-ZA

typically hit the ball on the higher side.   Trying to work the ball more, and 790s do ok, but I feel could be better. I seem to have less workability control than with more cavity back or blade irons. I shoot in the upper 70s.

I understand where you are coming from. I have a P790 5i that does it's job, but I can't really feel where I hit it on the face and a flushed one feels sorta like a non-flushed one.

I can feel everything on my P760's and can work them both ways. If I were looking at new clubs, I'd be hitting the P7MC's and the P770's for sure. You will have to come to grips with losing a clublength+ if switching to the P7MC's.... you'd need to carefully plan out your gapping.

-ZA

• Like 1

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

8 minutes ago, ZA206 said:

I understand where you are coming from. I have a P790 5i that does it's job, but I can't really feel where I hit it on the face and a flushed one feels sorta like a non-flushed one.

I can feel everything on my P760's and can work them both ways. If I were looking at new clubs, I'd be hitting the P7MC's and the P770's for sure. You will have to come to grips with losing a clublength+ if switching to the P7MC's.... you'd need to carefully plan out your gapping.

-ZA

I hear you there. I do want more feedback and it can get lost with the 790s for sure. Of course gaining feedback and losing some forgiveness could lead to worse play to start but will lead to increased ball striking with practice if that becomes an issue.

I’ve hit all the new P7 line besides the 790 but did hit the first two generations of 790 (all indoors). The 790s just want to go straight I felt. The 770 is going to be more workable for sure but still pretty forgiving on most mishits. Definitely worth trying out at least if you’re interested in something new. 

27 minutes ago, nick_CO said:

I’ve hit all the new P7 line besides the 790 but did hit the first two generations of 790 (all indoors). The 790s just want to go straight I felt. The 770 is going to be more workable for sure but still pretty forgiving on most mishits. Definitely worth trying out at least if you’re interested in something new. 

Where would you put the P7MCs on the spectrum between the 770s and the P7MBs? Closer to the MBs than the 770s, I would imagine? 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

7 hours ago, MCGolfTM said:

typically hit the ball on the higher side.   Trying to work the ball more, and 790s do ok, but I feel could be better. I seem to have less workability control than with more cavity back or blade irons. I shoot in the upper 70s.

If you're trying to work the ball more, give them a shot especially if you're shooting in the upper 70s.

I recently picked up a used set of P730s.  I was playing 714 AP2s.  The only distance difference that I've observed is due to the subtle loft differences (1 deg weaker in 6-P).  I've hit some "toey" shots and they don't go as far as center strikes, but neither did my AP2s.  

The turf interaction on the P730s and workability is far superior to my previous set.  The thin soles feel really smooth through the turf and also allow you to manipulate the face.  I'm a natural drawer of the golf ball, but have found that I can rather easily work the ball from left to right when needed.

From what I've read, the P7MB is an improvement on the P730, so I'd give 'em shot.  I'd try to demo them outside if you can because I don't think you'd get the full experience in an indoor fitting bay.   

Edited by illinichief

27 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Where would you put the P7MCs on the spectrum between the 770s and the P7MBs? Closer to the MBs than the 770s, I would imagine? 

Ya I noticed very very little difference between MC and MB. The 770s were forgiving on toe misses where the MC was not. Like others have said it would be a very big jump from 790 to Mc. I went in very excited to hit the MC and it’s definitely a very good club. But left very impressed with the 770. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did a fitting with Tru Spec out in Palm Springs last month and tried out the Titleist T100/ T100S, TM 770's, 790's and TM P7MC. Coming from the 10 year old set of Ping i20's, all of these model's were super sexy. The Iron and Shaft combo's that worked best for me, may not be the best fit for you so take these comments with a grain of salt.  I'm a 6-7 Hdcp with a 6i SS of about 87mph. With all models, I was able to pick up 10+ yards of distance.  I am above average on distance already compared to my playing partners, so my goal was just to find the club with the best dispersion pattern to improve my consistency. A few takeaways:

• I gained 10+ yards of distance with all of these over my current Ping i20 gamers. This was surprising to me. I think it was a combination of better tech in the irons and better fitted shafts. 
  • I decided on the TM P7MC as the best combo of shot pattern and launch/spin I was looking for. The Titleist T100's were a close 2nd place and honestly could have gone either way. 
  • The TM P&MC's are more forgiving than many people say. I don't consider myself a great ball striker and have never played forged or blade style irons. I felt these were just as forgiving as my current Ping i20's so I wouldnt rule them out for any single digit players who has decent launch monitor stats. 
  • The TM P7MC do not have jacked lofts like many other sets. 
  • I ended up with the Nippon Modus 130S shaft, which is much heavier than what i've been playing for years. I thought I would be better off with a lighter shaft, but discovered that the extra weight helps offset my tendency to be to quick with upper body/arms on the DS and encourages a more sound sequencing of the lower body first. 

The clubs are on 2 month back order so will report back when I receive them in Late January to see how it goes! 

Edited by mholmstrom
  • Like 2

DRIVER: Cobra Speedzone 10.5°  UST Elements Gold 6F4 

3-4 WOOD: Cobra King F7  14° Fujikura Pro 65S 

3 HYBRID: Titleist 910H  19° Diamana Ahina 90S 

IRONS 5-PW: Taylor Made P7-MC  Nippon  Modus  Tour 130S

GW: Titleist Vokey SM 8 F Grind  50.08 

SW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 54.10

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 58.10 

P: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black 

BALL: Taylor Made TP5 Pix 2.0

6 hours ago, mholmstrom said:

Did a fitting with Tru Spec out in Palm Springs last month and tried out the Titleist T100/ T100S, TM 770's, 790's and TM P7MC. Coming from the 10 year old set of Ping i20's, all of these model's were super sexy. The Iron and Shaft combo's that worked best for me, may not be the best fit for you so take these comments with a grain of salt.  I'm a 6-7 Hdcp with a 6i SS of about 87mph. With all models, I was able to pick up 10+ yards of distance.  I am above average on distance already, so my goal was to find the club with the best dispersion pattern to improve my consistency. A few takeaways:

• I gained 10+ yards of distance with all of these over my current Ping i20 gamers. This was surprising to me. I think it was a combination of better tech in the irons and better fitted shafts. 
  • I decided on the TM P7MC as the best combo of shot pattern and launch/spin I was looking for. The Titleist T100's were a close 2nd place and honestly could have gone either way. 
  • The TM P&MC's are more forgiving than many people say. I don't consider myself a great ball striker and have never played forged or blade style irons. I felt these were just as forgiving as my current Ping i20's so I wouldnt rule them out for any single digit players who has decent launch monitor stats. 
  • I ended up with the Nippon Modus 130S shaft, which is much heavier than what i've been playing for years. I thought I would be better off with a lighter shaft, but discovered that the extra weight helps offset my tendency to be to quick with upper body/arms on the DS and encourages a more sound sequencing of the lower body first. 

The clubs are on 2 month back order so will report back when I receive them in Late January to see how it goes! 

Man, this is nearly exactly how my fitting went that landed me on my P7MCs. Well, except coming from Ping - I was coming from PXG 0211s.

Distance consistency and dispersion were worlds better with the P7MCs than anything else - similarly, only thing closer was the T100s but I just didn't like the feel (as has always been the case with me and Titleist irons). I actually went in expecting to love the P770s but they performed pretty much the same as my 0211's and that's what I was wanting to get away from - not knowing how far a shot was going to fly. While I'm not a pro obviously, I consider myself a decent ballstriker these days (thanks, Monte!) and with both, a "well" struck shot was just unpredictable. 

Like, I recall doing my baseline with the 0211s, a bad 6 would be around 170, an average would be 180 and a "everything came together" would poke out to nearly 190. Precisely what I showed up to get rid of. 

P7MC 6 was consistently around 175, give or take a couple yards. Winner winner! And funny enough, I didn't really hit ANY "bad" shots with 'em. 

And also similarly, I'd been playing 105s for years - and initial shaft options we worked with were around there and lighter. But I was still losing too many to the left - another thing I was hoping to fix. Fitter decided to try heavier and much to my surprise, Oban CT125s were just butter. Purer strikes, no left misses really and I was able to work it much easier. Maybe for the first time ever, I felt like the shaft was working with me as opposed to me having to manipulate it in some way. 

Did my fitting in early September and I got pretty lucky in that mine arrived in early October. Straight up, these are the best irons I've ever played. That's spanning 30 years and god knows how many different sets. You're gonna love 'em. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

6 hours ago, mholmstrom said:

Did a fitting with Tru Spec out in Palm Springs last month and tried out the Titleist T100/ T100S, TM 770's, 790's and TM P7MC. Coming from the 10 year old set of Ping i20's, all of these model's were super sexy. The Iron and Shaft combo's that worked best for me, may not be the best fit for you so take these comments with a grain of salt.  I'm a 6-7 Hdcp with a 6i SS of about 87mph. With all models, I was able to pick up 10+ yards of distance.  I am above average on distance already, so my goal was to find the club with the best dispersion pattern to improve my consistency. A few takeaways:

What shafts have you played and what was your most recent shaft? 

I ask because I'm curious how some people play S/X shafts but with shafts that are <125g... I currently play TT DG S300, but would love to to try Nippon 125/130 S shafts in the future. 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

3 hours ago, stevechooster said:

What shafts have you played and what was your most recent shaft? 

I ask because I'm curious how some people play S/X shafts but with shafts that are <125g... I currently play TT DG S300, but would love to to try Nippon 125/130 S shafts in the future. 

My Ping i20's come stock with the Ping CFS stiff shaft which is 110grams. I've always played stiff shafts, never X. I tried the Nippon Modus 120S and 130S and there was not a huge difference, but I got tighter dispersion and slightly longer carry yardage with the heavier 130S.

Edited by mholmstrom
  • Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra Speedzone 10.5°  UST Elements Gold 6F4 

3-4 WOOD: Cobra King F7  14° Fujikura Pro 65S 

3 HYBRID: Titleist 910H  19° Diamana Ahina 90S 

IRONS 5-PW: Taylor Made P7-MC  Nippon  Modus  Tour 130S

GW: Titleist Vokey SM 8 F Grind  50.08 

SW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 54.10

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 58.10 

P: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black 

BALL: Taylor Made TP5 Pix 2.0

38 minutes ago, mholmstrom said:

My Ping i20's come stock with the Ping CFS stiff shaft which is 110grams. I tried the Nippon Modus 120S and 130S and there was not a huge difference, but I got tighter dispersion and slightly longer carry yardage with the heavier 130S.

You mentioned that you had a tendency to get too quick with your upper body so the heavier shaft helped out. Did your shots have a tendency (i.e. draws or fades) when you swung too quick with your 110g shaft? Or did your fitter ever throw out going to an X flex if you wanted to stick with lighter shafts? Just curious...

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

12 hours ago, aenemated said:

Man, this is nearly exactly how my fitting went that landed me on my P7MCs. Well, except coming from Ping - I was coming from PXG 0211s.

Distance consistency and dispersion were worlds better with the P7MCs than anything else - similarly, only thing closer was the T100s but I just didn't like the feel (as has always been the case with me and Titleist irons). I actually went in expecting to love the P770s but they performed pretty much the same as my 0211's and that's what I was wanting to get away from - not knowing how far a shot was going to fly. While I'm not a pro obviously, I consider myself a decent ballstriker these days (thanks, Monte!) and with both, a "well" struck shot was just unpredictable. 

Like, I recall doing my baseline with the 0211s, a bad 6 would be around 170, an average would be 180 and a "everything came together" would poke out to nearly 190. Precisely what I showed up to get rid of. 

P7MC 6 was consistently around 175, give or take a couple yards. Winner winner! And funny enough, I didn't really hit ANY "bad" shots with 'em. 

And also similarly, I'd been playing 105s for years - and initial shaft options we worked with were around there and lighter. But I was still losing too many to the left - another thing I was hoping to fix. Fitter decided to try heavier and much to my surprise, Oban CT125s were just butter. Purer strikes, no left misses really and I was able to work it much easier. Maybe for the first time ever, I felt like the shaft was working with me as opposed to me having to manipulate it in some way. 

Did my fitting in early September and I got pretty lucky in that mine arrived in early October. Straight up, these are the best irons I've ever played. That's spanning 30 years and god knows how many different sets. You're gonna love 'em. 

I agree they’re amazing. I shot 67 with mine yesterday but they are not even in the same world as the 790. Very close to blades on the spectrum of players irons to blades. They’re consistent and very accurate if you put a good swing on them. Distance will be way down compared to 790 which can lead some players to over swing, any manipulation of the face will have exaggerated left/right misses, thin shots will be much worse, and really need to compress the ball flipping is no Bueno

OP, if you can try out the OG 770s (not that the new one are bad, they certainly are not but are not a forged CB). You get more help but also a club that is 1025 forged, and a players CB. Tungsten is in the toe on 7 and higher irons. 

Otherwise the new MC are lovely but as TitW says they are close to blades 🙂 

- b

• 1 month later...

Switched from p790 mid and short irons to p7mc's late last year, and am not noticing a drop-off in distance but am seeing in increase in accuracy.  I bought my first set of newish irons in late 2008 which happened to be the 2005 tp forged irons.  After years wear and tear, I parted ways with them, and decided to order a set of p790s (3-pw).  While I love the long irons, im not a fan of the mid/short irons, between the thickness of the top line and thicker sole I just did not see the accuracy and consistency I used to see from my old set of clubs, mostly in my mid/short irons. Part of that may be that I just didn't like what I was looking at behind the ball, idk.  If you feel like youre a good enough striker with your irons, by all means go try the p7mc's, they're outstanding irons, and they might suit your eye more than the p790 do like they did with me

Edited by K465785

• 2 years later...