2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Swing Speed Trainer - MaxSwingSpeed

1 minute ago, ALTSean said:

Ok, that's good to know.  

Is the PRGR consistent in its readings for swings without a ball?  I plan to use it with the Max Swing Speed to hopefully track improvements so I mostly want to establish a baseline now and then see improvements.  Probably doesn't matter too much if I see a 5 mph gain going from 90 to 95 mph or 100 to 105 mph with the practice swings.  The swing speed when hitting a ball seemed pretty accurate based off my previous times on higher end machines like a Track Man.  

Keep us updated! Im waiting for my PRGR and hopefully it will arrive next week. 

A question for all speed junkies out there. When im speed training with a driver not hitting a ball im seeing that my club face is pretty open prior to impact, is this something that happens to you guys and do you just ignore it and focus on swinging as fast as possible?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

Ok, that's good to know.  

Is the PRGR consistent in its readings for swings without a ball?  I plan to use it with the Max Swing Speed to hopefully track improvements so I mostly want to establish a baseline now and then see improvements.  Probably doesn't matter too much if I see a 5 mph gain going from 90 to 95 mph or 100 to 105 mph with the practice swings.  The swing speed when hitting a ball seemed pretty accurate based off my previous times on higher end machines like a Track Man.  

It should read consistently for you.  How accurate it is, only you can tell by comparing it to other launch monitors, which it seems you have.  Regardless, it will be fine for measuring improvements.  As your swing speed increases the monitor will increase as well.  

• Like 2

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

3 minutes ago, SweGolfer said:

A question for all speed junkies out there. When im speed training with a driver not hitting a ball im seeing that my club face is pretty open prior to impact, is this something that happens to you guys and do you just ignore it and focus on swinging as fast as possible?

A slightly open club face at impact is correct, the release will square it up so to speak.  A really open club face is a swing issue, and is the biggest reason people release at the ball.  I try to play a draw, so my face is square coming through and I release after the ball, if I release at the ball it is duck hook city.  But I don't want to turn this into a swinging correct thread, there are plenty of those on this forum and this isn't really helpful for your swing speed journey, you are here to get more speed, correct?  Swing away!

• Like 2

In the bag

1 hour ago, SweGolfer said:

I say at first you should focus on speed.....

then you will have to work on technique and speed. 

because it can mess with your swing so there should be a balance

• Like 2

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

On 5/7/2021 at 6:49 AM, SweGolfer said:

On 5/7/2021 at 8:17 AM, vietnameeh said:

I say at first you should focus on speed.....

then you will have to work on technique and speed. 

because it can mess with your swing so there should be a balance

There are a few things to unpack here. First, I agree that focusing on speed first is key to building more speed. You need to train your body to move faster and then trust it. Swinging/training with weighted clubs has been proven time and time again to help with mechanics too so in the majority of cases your overall swing will improve as well as be faster. 

Seeing an open club face while swinging without a ball can be happening for a couple of reasons from what I have seen. 1st, it goes hand in hand with people who struggle with the "hit the ball" instead of "swing through the ball". There is a tension that shows up through the hitting area that will cause issues with the release. 2nd, when I first started taking max effort swings my hands were so far behind my body/arm speed that I would hit massive blocks due to not having any sort of timing set to the new speed I was working with. 

• Thanks 2

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 5/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, stryper said:

Thought I’d post an update for all my fans out there 😎, despite having done no training sessions in the last three weeks due to back and shoulder concerns.  I have, however, been able to swing, play golf and get in some limited range work.

So, it was rainy day here, and on a whim, I decided to jump in the sim and do a max-effort swing session to see how the speed was holding up.  

Averages on nine recorded swings, with no shots deleted:

Club Speed - 101.13

Ball Speed - 144.03

Shot Distance - 263.07

Smash - 1.43

With the exception of smash, these were just slightly under my best recorded numbers of March 15th.  As in that session, today I used the TT tones (21/7).  It’s worth noting that these were the only two recorded sessions using the tones.  In addition to the tones, I was paying extra attention to getting more extension on the backswing.

Not much to conclude about the MaxSwingSpeed program, other than that gains do not necessarily decline when training is temporarily suspended.  Tempo and technique also seem to play a role in performance enhancement.  (No sh*t, right?)  

Still waiting to see the abbreviated protocols. 

Glad you were able to get a session in after dealing with the injury concerns. I can't sing the praises enough for the Tour Tempo tones, those things were a godsend for my swing. 

I'm happy to see that your gains didn't decline. That is one of the main goals and benefits with any of the overspeed trainers, to build up a new baseline speed and maintain it. 

Apologies for the delay with the abbreviated protocols. To be honest I did a second round of testing to verify the results because they were better than I expected and wanted to make sure I hadn't used outlier testers and get myself into trouble down the road, LOL.

Testing results will be in tomorrow and I will be compiling and presenting the new protocols asap. 

Thanks for the patience 🙂

• Like 2

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 5/7/2021 at 6:16 AM, ALTSean said:

I just got the Max Swing Speed and a PRGR.  I tried the PRGR on the range for the first time yesterday and my practice swing without a ball were consistently displaying / measuring 7-10 mph slower than my real swings hitting a ball.  Is this a common / known issue with the PRGR?  Any suggestions?

On 5/7/2021 at 6:39 AM, trilerian said:

I think that is a common issue with a lot of swing speed radars.  It has to do with where your release is with and without a ball.  

I haven't used the PRGR yet but trilerian is correct that it's a common issue with many radars out there. It's also one of the reasons why at times some golfers swing speed will be so different with or without a ball. Sometimes it's faster, a lot of times it's slower because there's a ball to "hit". 

What I do when using it myself or showing people the trainer/radar in person is to use tees and/or alignment sticks to always be in the same position for every swing. Being consistent with your setup/positioning will help reduce variables and help track your speed consistently.

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 5/7/2021 at 6:43 AM, ALTSean said:

Ok, that's good to know.  

As long as you are using the same radar during your training sessions you should be able to track your progress even if the numbers aren't perfectly accurate compared to stepping into a 25 thousand dollar trackman. I have notes tracking my speed using the Speed Sensor Radar, an indoor Trackman, and outdoor Trackman and even the simulator at the local Golf Galaxy. They are all a bit different but the changes in speed are easily trackable between machines being used. 

www.maxswingspeed.com

9 minutes ago, Newbie15 said:

I'm a new golfer and taking lesson/practicing regularly. My swing is better than it was a year ago but my mechanics need a lot of work.  Is there any downside to training for speed before I've developed an acceptable swing?

I’ve noticed that using the speed trainer actually improves my mechanics in terms of weight shift and follow through.  So even if you’re not specifically training for speed there may be some benefit to using heavier and lighter weights to help build a better swing.  

Then again, why not just train for speed from the get-go?  That perfect, languid, position-based swing that so many strive for doesn’t really work anyway. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

11 minutes ago, Newbie15 said:

I'm a new golfer and taking lesson/practicing regularly. My swing is better than it was a year ago but my mechanics need a lot of work.  Is there any downside to training for speed before I've developed an acceptable swing?

Hey Newbie,

In my best attempt to not sound like a shill I would comfortably say you can definitely train for speed (assuming you are healthy enough and have basic fundamentals down like grip, consistent stance, balance on your follow through) before developing an "acceptable" swing, for a few reasons.

1. What's acceptable? I'm goofy tall with a flat swing and some early extension at times but can happily scurry around the course and shoot good numbers, but an instructor might want a different look and jack me up to no end.

2. Weighted swings and focusing on moving your body faster with good balance is a great way to engrain better body control and a more natural swing without the frustration of hitting "bad" shots. Plus it's been shown by numerous studies let alone marketing B.S. to do an unbelievable job at improving fundamentals like weight shift, power transfer, balance, flexibility and strength.

3. I've always liked using the Andre Agassi analogy. His coach trained him to hit it hard first and then taught him control. If you can get your swing and body faster first and then learn control you'll find it easier to progress because you aren't re-learning timing.

My opinion is and whether you look at my trainer or a different one, I don't think working for speed in conjunction with sound fundamentals could ever be considered "bad", newbie or not.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

www.maxswingspeed.com

End of week 2.

Before swings with driver average 98.6

After swings with driver average 107.8.

Lightweight sticks are picking up more speed and the left side is getting faster as well. Still feels foreign on the left.

Anyway, I was swinging with driver for the after training average and hit 105 twice, then thought to myself, I can get more. Next swing was 107, then blast off for my pb of 112, then back to 110. I waited a few minutes and tried again getting up to 110, then dropped back down to 108. All in all, I’d say this is working, baseline has come up a few mph, and so has the end of session. 

• Like 2

In the bag

I got another session in. I had to take a few more days longer to get another session in. I did an arm day at the gym... and boy was I in so much pain the following days.

Today I did this session after a back work out. I have to start going to the park to these sessions as I dont think my neighbors or my HOA are happy that I am killing the grass with my feet

I am still on week 7-8 training. I started the session really fast 127.33 but after the session I was maintaining the fast speeds average 133.67

I was a little worried as I did this in the shade, My right foot was slipping like crazy. I was going to hang and do more swings after the session to try see if i can hit another one swing PR (trying to beat 136), but the foot traffic was getting a little annoying lol. I do want to say getting back in the gym has upped the level for me its nice to see these numbers

maxspeed.jpg.42252e459913ac119ba40d763b71661d.jpg

Using the ground!

Edited by vietnameeh
  • Like 3

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

1 hour ago, vietnameeh said:

I got another session in. I had to take a few more days longer to get another session in. I did an arm day at the gym... and boy was I in so much pain the following days.

Today I did this session after a back work out. I have to start going to the park to these sessions as I dont think my neighbors or my HOA are happy that I am killing the grass with my feet

I am still on week 7-8 training. I started the session really fast 127.33 but after the session I was maintaining the fast speeds average 133.67

I was a little worried as I did this in the shade, My right foot was slipping like crazy. I was going to hang and do more swings after the session to try see if i can hit another one swing PR (trying to beat 136), but the foot traffic was getting a little annoying lol. I do want to say getting back in the gym has upped the level for me its nice to see these numbers

maxspeed.jpg.42252e459913ac119ba40d763b71661d.jpg

Using the ground!

Hope that’s the park you tearing up and not what anyone in your HOA thinks is grass.  🤣

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Definitely have to walk to the park... I realized after driving past the patch I been using and trying to spread out .. dry patches is all I see now ... LOL

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Just ordered. My swing speed has dropped drastictly in the past couple years(mostly mental fighting sh*nks). Now that I am mostly through that and am making solid contact again, I need to work on getting my swing speed back up. Went from carrying 240ish driver to not clearing 200. Hopefully the swing speed training will help getting me back up to speed. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic - Ping G30 3w - TaylorMade M6 3h - Maltby MCC Forged 4-PW - Maltby TSW Forged 52, 58 - Scotty Cameron California Coronado - Cut Blue

5 minutes ago, damnisuck said:

Just ordered. My swing speed has dropped drastictly in the past couple years(mostly mental fighting sh*nks). Now that I am mostly through that and am making solid contact again, I need to work on getting my swing speed back up. Went from carrying 240ish driver to not clearing 200. Hopefully the swing speed training will help getting me back up to speed. 

most definitely will!

The pandemic really hurt me... I have always been a high speed guy... its literally the only good thing about my game lol and when I saw that I dropped 10+MPH from being stuck at home and not going to gym it really hit deep (mostly my ego).

I had the super speed set before.. but i eventually sold them ... they were great but it was a pain to carry 3 sticks.....

I like that this one is one stick and weights easily screw on and off ... and it was almost half the price.

i also think it is worth investing in a radar to keep track. It's really made my sessions more fulfilling to see a number.

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I just realized the training changes for week 3.  Looks like I repeat every weight with a slide step swing.  Should be fun...  Anyway, should I go through all the weights standard, then do slide step or should I go the standard then slide step for each weight before advancing to the next weight?

Thanks

• Like 1

In the bag

11 minutes ago, trilerian said:

I just realized the training changes for week 3.  Looks like I repeat every weight with a slide step swing.  Should be fun...  Anyway, should I go through all the weights standard, then do slide step or should I go the standard then slide step for each weight before advancing to the next weight?

Thanks

It's a bit of a dealers choice situation so you can do what feels best for you because either way will work.

For a bit of time saving I always do each of the different swings/stances at each weight setting.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

22 hours ago, trilerian said:

Thanks

Just started my week 3 protocol last night. I really need to get off the fence on what speed monitor to purchase and just buy one.

I went with finishing each weight setting/swing type before increasing weight. I also took the pre-shot setup advice, used alignment sticks, tees and setup just about how I do during a round, instead of just free wheeling and swinging. 

Last thought, shots are carrying at least a full club further, both on course and during range sessions. I just need this weather to officially break here in w. pa so I can get some real distances figured out. This cold, wind, rain snap has made for the worst start to a golf season I can remember! 

• Thanks 1

Had a speed session tonight then a range session. Temperature when I got to the range was 42*, brr.  My baseline jumped again today, starting with 102.8 average. Ended with a 106 average. Adding the slide step is interesting, and is going to require some time for sequencing, but when it seems I get it right, that swing is faster. The downside is it promotes a slide, which I had to work back out of my swing in the range session.

So the good, I’m noticing more distance on the range, and that is in 42* weather. I was carrying my driver 250 tonight, just imagine 75 and no sweater.  My 4w off the deck is carrying about 225 and a few rolled out past the 250. I am excited to say the least. I’m not saying every swing is perfect, still plenty of bad ones in there, but it is very promising.

• Like 1

In the bag

Have started using the PRGR now.

Driver before doing the speed stick training is around 108mph, and after doing the training around 111mph. My speed with the lightest stick goes from 119 in the beginning to 128 after using the heaviest setting. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Edited by SweGolfer

21 hours ago, SweGolfer said:

Have started using the PRGR now.

Driver before doing the speed stick training is around 108mph, and after doing the training around 111mph. My speed with the lightest stick goes from 119 in the beginning to 128 after using the heaviest setting. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

It took me a while to even get the lightest weight going, but after I figured it out, yes I noticed the same thing.  Swinging the lightest stick at the beginning is usually around 110, then at the end it jumps to 117 or so.  

I can't believe I am through 3 weeks of this already...  This program is working and I highly recommend it.  

• Like 1

In the bag

20 minutes ago, JOVortex said:

1. 2 of my weights stuck together. any tips to loosen them up. wd40?

2. using the PRGR. should i select driver as my club? or a different club because the shaft of the trainer is shorter

thanks!

Hey there, sorry you've had the weights stick together. As for loosening them, you can try a few things before breaking out the pliers. You can try some WD40 to see if that will slicken up the threads. The one thing that worked for me during testing (didn't work for another member here but it's worth a shot) is to throw the weights in the freezer for a couple of hours (if not overnight). The aluminum should shrink a bit and allow you to unscrew them. If you're still having issues shoot me a message directly and we'll see what we can do.

I'm don't have a PRGR myself but I would think you can set it at any of the "longer" clubs and be fine as long as you keep it consistent every time you are measuring your speed. 

Thanks

www.maxswingspeed.com

18 minutes ago, Golferguy209 said:

Does this come with a speed training program to gain "x" number of mph or yards after using the product for "x" number of days?

There are standard and advanced training programs available on the website and I finally have all the data compiled to finish a "quick start" protocol which I am working on getting online as we "speak"

As for number of MPH you'll gain in how many days, nothing is set in stone as it's different for every person. In the recent test I did there was a range of speed increases from 3mph to 18mph in 1 month. As for the original training programs the average speed increase was 10mph with my personal gain of 22mph. 

I can say that no one I tested lost or stayed at the speed they started. Everyone gained something but the range really depends on factors I can't control much like any training program. Wish I had a specific answer with irrefutable data because it would be a whole lot easier to sell a product that way, LOL. 

www.maxswingspeed.com

Been away for a bit but im still continuing week 7-8 sessions

I will say that my crazy speed i had for about a week or so has steadily declined.

I will say mostly due to now I am actually doing the speed work after heavy lift sessions.

Arm day seems to really slow things down!

Last 3 sessions:

Before: 125.33 After: 126.67 

Before: 123 After 127.67 (on short vacation palm springs)

Before: 117 After: 119 (arm day! felt super strong too but speed was just not showing up)

I will say that i was humbled recently because I have been on indoor trackman a few time and will be on trackman twice a week for a few weeks. I know the SSR and Trackman measure clubspeed different. but the SSR looks to be a bit off which isnt a big deal such a great tool to have. 

But ive been seeing about 121-123 on trackman but this was not trying to swing all out. As trackman time here is expensive lol.

I will say ball speed is definitely up from what I can remember. I was probably averaging 172 ball speed with some peaks up 174ish. I am seeing a bit more now hitting peaks up to 178BS. (could be the new shiny driver and shaft i got though lol)

I would like to see if I can break 180ball speed on trackman! I think its possible if I can create better impact conditions. 

I do have to regrip the maxspeed though. the weight really wears down the grip and I rotate it. so now i have flat spot all around the grip where my left thumb sits lol

I may move up to advanced drills, I am just not a fan of the kneeling stuff as my uneducated opinion I feel like could be prone to pulling something.

I do think i need to add in more mobility workouts. I normally do a lot of mobility work but since the gym has opened up I have been going beast mode mostly.

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE