New Swing Speed Trainer - MaxSwingSpeed

I just ordered the Max Swing Speed trainer and now I am in the market for a device to measure my swing speed.

Are we measuring swing speed while using the trainer?  Or are we training and then measuring the speed with our club?

I see that the Swing Speed Radar can be had on-line for about $116 and the PRGR can be had for about $199. I think they both work without a ball. I also have a lead on a used Swing Caddy SC300 but it appears NOT to work without a ball.

I am leading towards the PRGR because it has more uses than the other two. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

23 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

Been away for a bit but im still continuing week 7-8 sessions

I will say that my crazy speed i had for about a week or so has steadily declined.

I will say mostly due to now I am actually doing the speed work after heavy lift sessions.

Arm day seems to really slow things down!

Last 3 sessions:

Before: 125.33 After: 126.67 

Before: 123 After 127.67 (on short vacation palm springs)

Before: 117 After: 119 (arm day! felt super strong too but speed was just not showing up)

I will say that i was humbled recently because I have been on indoor trackman a few time and will be on trackman twice a week for a few weeks. I know the SSR and Trackman measure clubspeed different. but the SSR looks to be a bit off which isnt a big deal such a great tool to have. 

But ive been seeing about 121-123 on trackman but this was not trying to swing all out. As trackman time here is expensive lol.

I will say ball speed is definitely up from what I can remember. I was probably averaging 172 ball speed with some peaks up 174ish. I am seeing a bit more now hitting peaks up to 178BS. (could be the new shiny driver and shaft i got though lol)

I would like to see if I can break 180ball speed on trackman! I think its possible if I can create better impact conditions. 

I do have to regrip the maxspeed though. the weight really wears down the grip and I rotate it. so now i have flat spot all around the grip where my left thumb sits lol

I may move up to advanced drills, I am just not a fan of the kneeling stuff as my uneducated opinion I feel like could be prone to pulling something.

I do think i need to add in more mobility workouts. I normally do a lot of mobility work but since the gym has opened up I have been going beast mode mostly.

Thanks for the continued updates... Speed declines after heavy weight sessions aren't uncommon. There's only so much the body can do at max effort each day so I'm not shocked by that at all. You're still firing that club with impressive speed!

It's very very common for the different radars to show different speeds. They each measure in different ways and there is a hell of a lot of difference in tech between $100 and $25,000, LOL. As long as you are tracking you numbers consistently with whichever machine you're using you should be good to go.

Only do the drills you are comfortable with, that is a huge key to follow for anyone reading this. You can easily build speed doing a handful of the drills. Safety first, speed second. No one cares if you can swing 130 if you're not on the course playing. Highly recommend mobility/stretching workouts especially if you're back into heavy weight training, it's so important to remain flexible as you build strength/mass and doubly so as you get older.

www.maxswingspeed.com

23 hours ago, Newbie15 said:

I just ordered the Max Swing Speed trainer and now I am in the market for a device to measure my swing speed.

Are we measuring swing speed while using the trainer?  Or are we training and then measuring the speed with our club?

I see that the Swing Speed Radar can be had on-line for about $116 and the PRGR can be had for about $199. I think they both work without a ball. I also have a lead on a used Swing Caddy SC300 but it appears NOT to work without a ball.

I am leading towards the PRGR because it has more uses than the other two. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks very much for your order!

You can measure speed however you want but I like to see the changes across the board. At the very least you'll want to do it with your club so you can track your progression over time. I believe you're right about the PRGR (SSR definitely works without a ball). Never used a swing caddy so but I believe you're right on that too, ball only. If you snag that obviously you'll just be tracking club speed changes which is fine, just make sure you have a consistent setup with whatever radar you choose as that will help eliminate a big variable for you.

Of the listed radars I have only used the SSR but hear great things about the other two, especially for the money. Super Speed and their customers who post online seem to be getting great results with it so I'd take that as a pretty good endorsement. 

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

Last minute decision to do a 3 day sale for Memorial Day. Coupon Code - MEMDAY21

Thank you to all who have served and we will always remember those that have passed serving this country (and others too). 

Edited by MaxSwingSpeed
info mistake
  • Like 2

www.maxswingspeed.com

Well I am no super beast like others on here but with limited training to date, I am now steady 109 - 110 with 111 max with the driver.  Not terrible for a fat 53 year old

Most swings with my fitter late yesterday were 109.5-110.4

This is good as last year I had dropped to 105-6 on most swings with the odd max of 109.  (A right side QL problem can wear you and your love for golf out !!!)

I’ve converted some of my shafts to a TM tip as I have fallen in love with the OG Sim Max (ZERO LEFT misses) and it is shootout time to find the magic stick 

Green Smoke 70x, Blueboard 53x and Ventus Red 6x are in the mix

I’m going to step up my training now that we’ve had golf allowed for a few weeks and try to get to 115 by end of August

• Like 4

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Joined this site so I could post in here. I just ordered this and had my first session last Saturday. Right away, I loved the single club design, way more convenient. By the end of the session I was up 7-8 mph on my swing speed, so we're headed in the right direction! I've got session 2 scheduled for tonight, excited to continue on this journey.

Also, big shout out to the OP/owner, Andrew. I initially ordered this through Walmart marketplace, one day before the 50% off Memorial Day sale. I contacted Andrew, through the Walmart site, and told him the extra savings would help a ton. He responded right away and cancelled the order, which allowed me to re-purchase through his site at the discount. Thanks again Andrew, like I told you before, you've got a customer for life!

Edited by courts0
typo
  • Like 2

Im back! so i won't lie I havent been able to find time to speed train and did do a session today.

Ive been to the gym mostly just lifting, not much mobility work. went on vacation so have been really lazy.

Its definitely showing in the number during this session so it was kind of a downer.

I did get on trackman for simulator golf and was still hitting around 121 mph during a round of golf. Ball speeds not so high but I wasn't trying to bomb it.

This session before average was 119 Mph and ending 125.67 Mph.

I will say I think the SSR reads 5-8mph faster than trackman so this is inline with what I am seeing on trackman. I will test the SSR directly with trackman soon as I been getting on trackman every week for an indoor league

I will say maybe my speed is stabilizing now. but I do need to do more mobility work. I feel bulky and "slow" after hitting the gym (I am eating more to bulk up the lost weight from pandemic)

• Like 2

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

well boys, i'm almost back! first driver swings today since march 6th or so. all of my numbers except swing speed (120.6 mph) are absolutely atrocious😂 i'm not as strong or flexible now, and have to pick up my front foot to get a big turn and generate speed -- but hey, it's a start! (yeah, it's a completely different swing than the one in the link in my signature)

my arm is a little tingly right now which means i should probably continue to take it easy for a bit... but once i (freaking hopefully...) wrap up PT in a few weeks, i'm getting a referral to a trainer to help me get back in playing shape and maximize performance. at that point i plan to resume speed training with the modified protocol @MaxSwingSpeed mentioned when i first got injured.

let's freaking goooooooo!!!!!

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

well boys, i'm almost back! first driver swings today since march 6th or so. all of my numbers except swing speed (120.6 mph) are absolutely atrocious😂 i'm not as strong or flexible now, and have to pick up my front foot to get a big turn and generate speed -- but hey, it's a start! (yeah, it's a completely different swing than the one in the link in my signature)

my arm is a little tingly right now which means i should probably continue to take it easy for a bit... but once i (freaking hopefully...) wrap up PT in a few weeks, i'm getting a referral to a trainer to help me get back in playing shape and maximize performance. at that point i plan to resume speed training with the modified protocol @MaxSwingSpeed mentioned when i first got injured.

let's freaking goooooooo!!!!!

Great to see you back bombing the ball! It is always so hard to stay patient with an injury but I'm very happy for you that you're able to start up again. 120 is no joke no matter what you've got going on swing wise so I'm sure once you knock the rust off and have your body back to 100% you'll be striping it again.

Looking forward to the updates!

• Thanks 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 6/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, BdaGolfer said:

Order just arrived,  placed on May 22 but it sat in LA for a week for some reason. Playing later so will try to get some baseline numbers before diving in. Expecting to be around 110 or so, goal will be +10mph.

Thanks for the order and I'm still dumbfounded by some of the shipping issues. There are times they truly make no sense but I'm glad it finally arrived and look forward to hearing how you're getting along with the speed training. Thanks again!

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 6/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, courts0 said:

Joined this site so I could post in here. I just ordered this and had my first session last Saturday. Right away, I loved the single club design, way more convenient. By the end of the session I was up 7-8 mph on my swing speed, so we're headed in the right direction! I've got session 2 scheduled for tonight, excited to continue on this journey.

Also, big shout out to the OP/owner, Andrew. I initially ordered this through Walmart marketplace, one day before the 50% off Memorial Day sale. I contacted Andrew, through the Walmart site, and told him the extra savings would help a ton. He responded right away and cancelled the order, which allowed me to re-purchase through his site at the discount. Thanks again Andrew, like I told you before, you've got a customer for life!

Thanks for the order and the kinds words. Was really glad we were able to work out the order on both sides. Awesome work on the first session speed gains! Can't wait to see where you're at in the coming weeks.

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 6/5/2021 at 5:40 AM, cardoustie said:

Well I am no super beast like others on here but with limited training to date, I am now steady 109 - 110 with 111 max with the driver.  Not terrible for a fat 53 year old

Most swings with my fitter late yesterday were 109.5-110.4

This is good as last year I had dropped to 105-6 on most swings with the odd max of 109.  (A right side QL problem can wear you and your love for golf out !!!)

I’ve converted some of my shafts to a TM tip as I have fallen in love with the OG Sim Max (ZERO LEFT misses) and it is shootout time to find the magic stick 

Green Smoke 70x, Blueboard 53x and Ventus Red 6x are in the mix

I’m going to step up my training now that we’ve had golf allowed for a few weeks and try to get to 115 by end of August

Happy to hear the numbers have gone up and stabilized for you and 110 is great for anyone! 

Gotta love the hunt for a magic stick, I've chased that dream so many times and there can be heartbreak along the way but man oh man when you find the one that works, especially if it comes with anti-left technology, LOL.

115 here we come!

www.maxswingspeed.com

13 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

Im back! so i won't lie I havent been able to find time to speed train and did do a session today.

Ive been to the gym mostly just lifting, not much mobility work. went on vacation so have been really lazy.

Its definitely showing in the number during this session so it was kind of a downer.

I did get on trackman for simulator golf and was still hitting around 121 mph during a round of golf. Ball speeds not so high but I wasn't trying to bomb it.

This session before average was 119 Mph and ending 125.67 Mph.

I will say I think the SSR reads 5-8mph faster than trackman so this is inline with what I am seeing on trackman. I will test the SSR directly with trackman soon as I been getting on trackman every week for an indoor league

I will say maybe my speed is stabilizing now. but I do need to do more mobility work. I feel bulky and "slow" after hitting the gym (I am eating more to bulk up the lost weight from pandemic)

Great to see you back as well! Happy to see those numbers still in the 120s and I can imagine some big jumps coming after the bulking period. Mobility is so damn important but god can it be tedious, gotta grin and bare it especially for those extra few yards. 😆

www.maxswingspeed.com

• 5 weeks later...

About to start week 5, seeing some nice gains thus far. And on top of that, my technique has improved by virtue of swinging faster (not the typical school of thought!).

And this might be a dumb question, but when you’re finished with week 8 do you go back to the beginning of the training, or do you repeat weeks 7/8?

Edited by courts0
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, courts0 said:

About to start week 5, seeing some nice gains thus far. And on top of that, my technique has improved by virtue of swinging faster (not the typical school of thought!).

And this might be a dumb question, but when you’re finished with week 8 do you go back to the beginning of the training, or do you repeat weeks 7/8?

Congrats on the gains and improved technique. It's always great to hear about successful training results.

Not a dumb question at all. After week 8 you have a few options.

Take a 2 week break and start over at week 1.

Repeat weeks 7/8

Move to the "advanced" training protocols.

As always it's based on how you're feeling and what you're body is telling you it needs.

Thanks and congrats again!

www.maxswingspeed.com

On 8/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, MaxSwingSpeed said:

Congrats on the gains and improved technique. It's always great to hear about successful training results.

Not a dumb question at all. After week 8 you have a few options.

Take a 2 week break and start over at week 1.

Repeat weeks 7/8

Move to the "advanced" training protocols.

As always it's based on how you're feeling and what you're body is telling you it needs.

Thanks and congrats again!

Thanks Andrew! Totally missed the advanced training section, I’ll move onto that next and then repeat. 

And is there any plan to add more to the training protocols?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:28 PM, courts0 said:

Thanks Andrew! Totally missed the advanced training section, I’ll move onto that next and then repeat. 

And is there any plan to add more to the training protocols?

No worries and happy to help! People have been reporting excellent results when moving through the advanced protocols and I know from personal experience I was able to eek out a few extra MPH when I did them. 

As for future plans, yes, there will be updates coming. I have been talking about them for far too long at this point and have been rather embarrassed with how long it's taken me to get everything finished. I'm not going to make excuses fore the delays as life gets in the way of business and plans for everyone. 

I have wonderful tests results back from the new protocols, lots of new compiled data to discuss and updates to the site lined up as well. I will post about them in this thread and probably start a different thread to keep things clean and clear as soon as possible.

Thanks 

• Like 1

www.maxswingspeed.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, CasualLie said:

Put my order in yesterday, no discounts which is just fine by me.  I'm going to stick with this the 8 weeks and try to be the poster case for weak old guy (exaggerating on both counts).

Really looking forward to this...

Thanks very much for your order. Everything shipped out first thing this morning and I'm looking forward to hearing how your training goes. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions as I'm always happy to help if I can. 

www.maxswingspeed.com

53 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

@MaxSwingSpeed can you clarify the workout?  Am I meant to do the workout at the same time practicing and hit the driver to see progress, or are the workouts/ schedule totally independent from practice sessions on the range?

Happy to help. Not to be too ambiguous but a lot depends on your personal schedule, energy (fitness) level and space available. You can do the training protocols when you are at the range practicing or away from the range if that's easier to fit in schedule wise. As long as you're getting the 3 sessions in each week and giving yourself the day off in between you'll see the best results over time. 

If you are going to the range 3 days a week and want to do the training there and then the one thing I would recommend is to do the training first and then get into your "normal" practice routine. Being as fresh as possible so you can give max effort with the energy to maintain perfect balance will pay big dividends speed and technique wise.

As for hitting the driver. I have always been a big fan of doing the warmup routine, hitting 3-5 drivers, going through the training protocol for that day and then hitting 3-5 more drivers. I like to see/feel any daily changes and also track over time but I'm a data freak so even if you only track your speeds once a week it's always nice to see an increase or to notice if something needs to be tweaked based on a plateau.

After all those swings I would usually give myself a break by chipping and/or putting for a bit and then back to banging balls like there was no tomorrow. 

Hope that clears things up a bit, if not let me know and we can chat further. Thanks!

www.maxswingspeed.com

Day 1 today and my biggest discovery...taking a bunch of swings left handed was a little crazy when I tried to hit shots normal.  I should video my lefty swing, must be hilarious.  No flexibility / sense when going as a lefty.  And then lined up an iron for a normal right hand shot and it felt weird.  It was like my brain wanted to go left.

I don't think I will be doing any of these lefty full swings with weight on days I am going to play 18.  That could be a mess!