Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

21 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

played the hyland hills gold course today. really unremarkable round for me other than driving the par 5 15th in 2 from the tips with 2-hybrid // 4-iron and sinking the birdie putt. definitely one for the memory banks.

the people who work there were wonderful and i was grateful they were able to get me on as a single in the mid-afternoon, but the round took 5.5 hours. teed off a little after 3pm and couldn't see my ball on the last hole when we finished.

one guy in the group behind us mentioned this was the 2nd time he played there (first round was quick) but he wouldn't be coming back. i enjoyed the course but at 5.5 hours i have to agree with him. it was a very long day!

for those of you who've played there, do you think this is typical or atypical for a weekend afternoon round?

Payed it last year twice and probably will not go back.  Its a fun track but both times last year but both rounds over 5 hour. So unless you get off really early I assume its the norm out there. We played around noon or so both times.

• Like 1

Randomly got a time at City Park today (looked yesterday and happened to see one tee time today that I was able to make work) and man was it fun to play.  Took my kids and a buddy joined us.  Course is in great shape and the greens were rolling true, they were in really nice shape.  I had played it once in a charity event right after it re-opened, but this was my first time playing it normally.  Highlight of the day was my 10 year old getting two birdies in the round (rolled a great putt on the par 3 2nd and then lagged an eagle putt to tap in range on the par 5 13th), it was so fun to see. 

Anyway, definitely learned some stuff on course strategy, don't hit driver on 9!  Thought I hit a perfect drive but the fairway slopes so far left towards the water that it just bounced and rolled into it. This was after hitting a fade that landed right in the middle of the fairway...oh well.  Still made par with the drop.  Don't hit driver on 13 either.  Fun course though.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

Did 36 holes yesterday. 

First 18 was a 4-man scramble at Applewood. First time playing that course. We came in at a semi-disappointing -15. Had a string of 3 pars in a row. 

Then played 18 at The Ridge. Was on fire. Averaged about 300 off the tee on the front 9. Hit 6/7 fairways and 8/9 GIRs. Shot even. Fell apart a bit on the back, mainly because I was exhausted and had no energy left. Got sloppy and weak off the tee. But it was a solid day of golf all around.

Do you still use that pink golf shaft from a few years back when we played Bear Dance?

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

On 7/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, TheKrushh said:

Do you still use that pink golf shaft from a few years back when we played Bear Dance?

I do not! I won a TPT shaft from here that I’ve been using for a while. Switched over to Titleist drivers too. Still have the pink shaft with a TM tip. Thinking about getting the new mini driver and throwing it in actually. 

• Like 1

Played Heather Ridge for the first time this morning. God, I hate those greens. Worse than South Suburban. Stuck a wedge to about 2 feet and missed the birdie putt because it broke 8-10” in those 2 feet. Not a single flat, straight putt all day. Just goofy mounds like putt putt golf. 

With that being said, I booked another round for 6:27am next Saturday out there for some redemption. If anyone wants to join, I think there is one more opening left at that time. You can watch me struggle on the greens and get frustrated. 

• Like 2

played CG this afternoon and watched a couple of my buddies put up a 72 and a 75. one had a near HIO on #6 that must've burnt the lip to end up 6" directly behind the hole (at the most). best shot i've seen in person in a very long time. wish the HIO camera was working because we're still wondering how the ball ended up behind the hole without going in.

i was blessed to watch some very good golf this afternoon. and that's about all i want to say about my round today 😂

• Like 2

Had a fun day Friday, went up in the mountains and played Gypsum Creek and Red Sky (Fazio course).  

Gypsum Creek is a really fun track.  I had no idea that was up there, it's a Pete Dye course that was bought by the city and now is a muni.  It's a great value (minus the drive up there) and would definitely play it again if I'm in the area.  

Fazio course at Red Sky was....wow.  Really something special.  Just such a beautiful golf course and really fun to play.  Greens were fast and really fun to putt on, the putts rolled so true.  Some tricky reads with breaks up there but all in all the greens were fair.  Can't wait to get back up there and play the Norman course!  

• Like 3

Played our member guest this weekend and played lights out. I was the annoying guy who shot way below my handicap. Won our flight but lost on the second hole of the shootout in a chip off by two inches which was super disappointing.  

A couple things

-make sure to play your ball all the way out even in a match play format. I was picking up regularly (probably 8-10 times in 45 holes) and it smoked my handicap. I didn't think they would post match play scores but I should've known better. 

-chip offs are dumb, why not long drive or a putting contest or my personal favorite idea, closest to from 100.

-40% handicap for a modified alternate shot heavily favors the low low handicaps in the shootouts.

-got outdriven by 15+ yards a couple times in one of the matches. He was 6'9 and a pretty good golfer but I never get outdriven. Felt weird

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Played our member guest this weekend and played lights out. I was the annoying guy who shot way below my handicap. Won our flight but lost on the second hole of the shootout in a chip off by two inches which was super disappointing.  

A couple things

-make sure to play your ball all the way out even in a match play format. I was picking up regularly (probably 8-10 times in 45 holes) and it smoked my handicap. I didn't think they would post match play scores but I should've known better. 

-chip offs are dumb, why not long drive or a putting contest or my personal favorite idea, closest to from 100.

-40% handicap for a modified alternate shot heavily favors the low low handicaps in the shootouts.

-got outdriven by 15+ yards a couple times in one of the matches. He was 6'9 and a pretty good golfer but I never get outdriven. Felt weird

So nice to read that  😜🤣

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:11 PM, ASak10 said:

That's a great round and having 165 left on 18 is no joke!  Well done. What did you end up getting for the driver/shaft?

went back today and we decided on a build to try: the hzrdus smoke blue rtx 70g x-flex at 46.5” tipped to 8.0. 

I’m going to try it in my current head first at 8°. The TM sim 2 turned down to 7° or 7.5° could be next if I can’t get mine to spin less. 

not super confident it’s the perfect one and really want to test on outdoor TrackMan with my gamer balls. My spin was still consistently in the low- to mid-3k range today but was calculated on a bunch of shots. We’re just making a educated guess that tipping will bring the spin down another 1k-500 so it’s consistently between 2,300-2,500. 

maybe I’m just gonna have to try a bunch and re-sell them, who knows. 🤷

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

went back today and we decided on a build to try: the hzrdus smoke blue rtx 70g x-flex at 46.5” tipped to 8.0. 

I’m going to try it in my current head first at 8°. The TM sim 2 turned down to 7° or 7.5° could be next if I can’t get mine to spin less. 

not super confident it’s the perfect one and really want to test on outdoor TrackMan with my gamer balls. My spin was still consistently in the low- to mid-3k range today but was calculated on a bunch of shots. We’re just making a educated guess that tipping will bring the spin down another 1k-500 so it’s consistently between 2,300-2,500. 

I had a number of shafts too for a long time  😃 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

Had my absolute best set of 9 holes last night...the same night my new driver shipped. Kinda makes me wonder why I even bought a new driver. Oh well! Golf is fun.

what did you shoot?

On 7/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, hoselpalooza said:

2500-3000 seems really high for a driver. Is that all due to test balls and no tipping on the shaft? Also, 46.5 is crazy, is that hard to keep consistent? I have played the same 44 inch ADDI shaft for like 7 years now... Can't even imagine 2.5 more inches (my wife probably can't either).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jacobEDGE said:

Scorecard.jpg.7d3528d5bac6694d2bc3aed836414542.jpg

Just gonna go ahead and pretend like the back 9 didn't happen.

that's no joke at the ridge! My friend has their course record (59 with a bogey at 17). I've heard the course is in really bad shape. True?

• Like 2

It was my 2nd time playing it in 2 weeks, and I feel like it's in good shape. Greens are a tad slow, but they roll true. Tee boxes are fine, fairways are real solid. I have no complaints! 14 & 15 greens have some dead patches, but I feel like those two greens have had those issues ever since I've lived out here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

2500-3000 seems really high for a driver. Is that all due to test balls and no tipping on the shaft? Also, 46.5 is crazy, is that hard to keep consistent? I have played the same 44 inch ADDI shaft for like 7 years now... Can't even imagine 2.5 more inches (my wife probably can't either).

firstly, you’re hilarious— I’m dying right now 😂

yeah, spin was high ‘cause it wasn’t tipped. The goal is 2,300-2,500. We used only tp5x. 

I suggested tipping my current shaft without adding length back and the club fitter strongly suggested staying at 46.5. Speed is a huge advantage for me and staying at 46.5” should put me well into the 120’s mph ball speed when my body gets better.

Current dispersion isn’t terrible and stiffer shaft should tighten it up even more. so should taking some lessons to help get ball striking back, which I start next week. 

• Like 1

After 5 weeks on a road, I arrived at home four hours later than planned on Sunday night (thanks, Southwest). I didn't get to play as much golf as planned in Sweden, but I will post some pictures soon. I haven't swung a club since June 27, and I'm playing Meadow Hills tonight with @Noodler.

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Back in the day, I used to play in a league at my local Putt-Putt course. My buddies and I were good golfers, but we got destroyed every week.

If this was a bit closer to home, I would probably want to try to field a WRX team.

https://www.rockymountainbarleague.com/rocky-mountain-bar-leagues/minigolf/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

After 5 weeks on a road, I arrived at home four hours later than planned on Sunday night (thanks, Southwest). I didn't get to play as much golf as planned in Sweden, but I will post some pictures soon. I haven't swung a club since June 27, and I'm playing Meadow Hills tonight with @Noodler.

And me!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

And me!!!

Glad you snuck in!

I heard y'all had torrential rainfall like what happened to us yesterday (conveniently at about the furthest place on the golf course from the clubhouse) often this summer. That really sucked. I'm so glad I remembered to bring an umbrella (initially for sun shade purposes).

I've developed a really bad case of pushing the ball with my driver. No draw to bring it back. Straight as an arrow roughly in the 1 o'clock (maybe 1:30) position. I'm also still having issues finding anywhere close to the center of the clubface on iron shots. I'm guessing these issues will not do me any favors when I play at City Park on Sunday.

Regardless, it was nice to get out and play five dry holes with @Noodler and @jacobEDGE.

As an aside, some of us went to Dry Dock Brewing to dry out. They currently have a Blood Orange Blonde (just like their Apricot Blonde) that is one of the most refreshing summer beers I've had in a long time.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

It's about time I just carry my umbrella & bag cover 100% of the time, because clearly forecasting in Colorado is an impossible task.

5:17pm, driving to the course, 95º and sunny, ZERO rain in the forecast.
5:30pm, teeing off Hole 1, possible drizzle starting around 6pm.
6:30pm, absolute freaking downpour...1/2 mile from the clubhouse.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, CDM said:

So "currently" working through some F'd up medical aspects that came forward last month at Bandon..... never sick until you go to the doctor  😃  JK

Having had the last 3 weeks away got me thinking of seeing a instructor.  Wondering who most recommend?

i'm seeing chris schultz for the first time next week. spoke with him on the phone, seems like a really good guy. comes highly recommended from a bunch of people at d'lance. been around forever. has access to tech like trackman.

have also heard good things about the following, though i don't have experience working with them:

• trent wearner (expensive and may shunt you off to one of his other instructors, is what i've been told).
  • peter norwood
  • mike weingartner
  • eli haskell
On 7/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, pseudoswede said:

Back in the day, I used to play in a league at my local Putt-Putt course. My buddies and I were good golfers, but we got destroyed every week.

If this was a bit closer to home, I would probably want to try to field a WRX team.

https://www.rockymountainbarleague.com/rocky-mountain-bar-leagues/minigolf/

this looks like a lot of fun and is not too far away from where i'm at downtown. anybody else interested in this? i'd be up for it!

2 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

It's about time I just carry my umbrella & bag cover 100% of the time, because clearly forecasting in Colorado is an impossible task.

5:17pm, driving to the course, 95º and sunny, ZERO rain in the forecast.
5:30pm, teeing off Hole 1, possible drizzle starting around 6pm.
6:30pm, absolute freaking downpour...1/2 mile from the clubhouse.

you're right, it's so difficult to know when it's gonna rain up here.

unsolicited advice about what to keep in the bag at all times from a former PNW guy: rain gloves (#1 imo), bag cover, goretex (or comparable) rain gear, umbrella, spare towels. and spare socks if your shoes aren't goretex.

push cart is the best for rain imo because you are almost always covered with your umbrella. same concept as being covered with UV protection when it's hot and sunny. and being able to hang gloves and towels in an umbrella that's attached to the push cart is a very nice luxury. as a result, i stay much more dry when i walk in rain than when i ride.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, hoselpalooza said:

i'm seeing chris schultz for the first time next week. spoke with him on the phone, seems like a really good guy. comes highly recommended from a bunch of people at d'lance. been around forever. has access to tech like trackman.

have also heard good things about the following, though i don't have experience working with them:

• trent wearner (expensive and may shunt you off to one of his other instructors, is what i've been told).
  • peter norwood
  • mike weingartner
  • eli haskell

this looks like a lot of fun and is not too far away from where i'm at downtown. anybody else interested in this? i'd be up for it!

you're right, it's so difficult to know when it's gonna rain up here.

unsolicited advice about what to keep in the bag at all times from a former PNW guy: rain gloves (#1 imo), bag cover, goretex (or comparable) rain gear, umbrella, spare towels. and spare socks if your shoes aren't goretex.

push cart is the best for rain imo because you are almost always covered with your umbrella. same concept as being covered with UV protection when it's hot and sunny. and being able to hang gloves and towels in an umbrella that's attached to the push cart is a very nice luxury. as a result, i stay much more dry when i walk in rain than when i ride.

Appreciate the recommendations. Will look into them.

• Like 1