Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

5 hours ago, ASak10 said:

1955491345_IrishCourse.jpg.76b074e8cdaa1b33fa24c7383f2d21ba.jpg

That's me on the Irish (don't mind the outfit, we all wore period outfits for the tourney, it was fun).  You can see how the bunkers are as well as the giant mounds all around. 

There is a guy in FRGC who has a closet full of those. I swear I've never seen him wear the same outfit ever.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

4 hours ago, birdiemachine said:

My bracket is 10.9 to 12. Top bracket is +3.6 to 0.2.  We play this gross so nice to have tight range. 

3 hours ago, ASak10 said:

It is nice.  Most brackets are 1-1.5 point spread...I'm in the 9.2 to 10.9 bracket.  Should be fun.  

That is a tight range.  That actually seems pretty fair.  I have been in some that have 4-5 range and it seemed to far apart.    As @pseudoswede noted prior the 7 -11 range has the ability to blow up  😃  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

There is a guy in FRGC who has a closet full of those. I swear I've never seen him wear the same outfit ever.

Ha, I kinda love it.  If I play in more of these tournaments I'll have to pick up some additional pairs.  The ones I got were super baggy and in the wind I felt like MC Hammer, they were flapping around like crazy. 

An ad on Facebook popped up that TheGrint has started their own city leagues. Not many events, and they're pretty pricey.

https://www.thegrinttour.com/Denver/calendar

edited to add: I see the entry fee also includes lunch and sometimes drinks, but still.

Edited by pseudoswede

From the official rules...

By completing this registration and pressing “submit”, I am giving Breckenridge Grand Vacations King’s Creek Plantation, LLC, DBA Vacation Reservation Center and affiliates, Global Travel Network, InnSeason Resorts dba TripJoy Advantage, Discover Vacations LLC, the Co-Sponsors of this drawing shown on this display, and each of their agents, permission to contact me via telephone, fax, email or mail at the address(es) number(s) provided despite any inclusion of my name on a do not call/do not contact registry or list.

I expressly authorize Breckenridge Grand Vacations, King’s Creek Plantation, LLC, DBA Vacation Reservation Center and affiliates, Global Travel Network, InnSeason Resorts dba TripJoy Advantage, Discover Vacations LLC, to call me or send me recorded messages or texts about their products using automated technology to my telephone/cellular number I entered above.

------

I like how they are pimping it as a golf vacation, but all date exclusions are during ski season. 

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

From the official rules...

By completing this registration and pressing “submit”, I am giving Breckenridge Grand Vacations King’s Creek Plantation, LLC, DBA Vacation Reservation Center and affiliates, Global Travel Network, InnSeason Resorts dba TripJoy Advantage, Discover Vacations LLC, the Co-Sponsors of this drawing shown on this display, and each of their agents, permission to contact me via telephone, fax, email or mail at the address(es) number(s) provided despite any inclusion of my name on a do not call/do not contact registry or list.

I expressly authorize Breckenridge Grand Vacations, King’s Creek Plantation, LLC, DBA Vacation Reservation Center and affiliates, Global Travel Network, InnSeason Resorts dba TripJoy Advantage, Discover Vacations LLC, to call me or send me recorded messages or texts about their products using automated technology to my telephone/cellular number I entered above.

------

I like how they are pimping it as a golf vacation, but all date exclusions are during ski season. 

I'd go up there for the golf. Looks like lots of spring dates available. Not looking forward to the onslaught of junk though... 

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, stoneydukes said:

I'd go up there for the golf. Looks like lots of spring dates available. Not looking forward to the onslaught of junk though... 

The rates are pretty good for a Nicklaus public course and for one with a short season.

If you can manage to take a weekday off during the summer, you can easily do the twilight 18-hole rate (2:30pm) which includes cart and walk the other 9 holes for $115 and be done well before sunset. You could also do it on the weekend, but I think you will have to be really lucky to be able to snag tee times. Back in the day, they used to offer a special where you could play all 27 holes with cart for $99.

As an aside, I highly recommend Sauce on the Blue in Silverthorne if you're looking for good eats after golfing in Summit County.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Anyone watch the Random Golf Club series of 4 regular dudes playing TPC Sawgrass from the tips, in tournament conditions? It was a fun watch.

They just had open auditions/contest to be in the next video for that series. They're gonna do it down at Torrey, about 1 week before the US Open. Just taking 4 guys, varied handicaps, playing that course from the tips. I tried joining...but it's only 4 spots from like 2,700 submissions. 

• Like 1

I have some buddies coming into town over Memorial Day weekend. Skiing looks to be out, so I might suggest Breckenridge Golf Club. $79 for 18 including cart is a pretty good deal.

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Breckenridge lost a lot of turf in 2019/2020 winter to where they were on temporary greens the first half of the year and they were basically sand greens in August. Did anyone play it late fall last year and see if they were able to make any progress in replacing the damaged areas?

We played Breck in the 3rd week of Sept 2020. Walked the first 18, rode the last 9.

Honestly, I thought the greens were fine. Where the damage was apparent on some holes was mostly limited to the edges. I hadn't actually seen the full extent of the damage, so had little to compare it to, but frankly, I didn't think it detracted from the experience at all.

• Like 2

Playing 9 at Wellshire tomorrow morning. Haven't been since they were digging up fairways for irrigation a year or so ago. While I never considered it an amazing course I'm excited to see how it's playing now. For reasons I do not know it's one of the harder Denver municipal courses to get a decent tee time for.  Hopefully I can glean something about Ross designed courses for a future round at Lakewood CC this summer. The Ross archives are pretty neat to see original designs in really low quality, but they want a ridiculous rate to see the high quality versions.  

• Like 1

@Brian_Mc and I hacked around South Suburban last night, and @thaar trailed a few holes behind us. I only had 18 putts...because I chipped in for birdie on 2. Otherwise, I just couldn't get a feel for the greens; and my overall game continues to be meh. Not to best of feelings going into my match play this weekend at Fossil Trace.

The only other highlight was my 347yd drive on 9 and subsequent LW to 2 feet. I won't talk about the birdie putt, nor about the guy in the group behind us who recent joined our beer league and how he launched his drive about 40 yards past mine.

• Like 3

A beautiful weekend in terms of weather!  I am super bummed out because I can't play or practice because I am nursing a sprained ankle (left foot and on the outside part).  I sprained it about 2 weeks ago and it is slow to recover.  Worst part is I have the annual invitational at my home course (2 day tournament) in two weeks.  I will have little, if any time, to practice and prepare so I know I will most likely play poorly.  I am contemplating withdrawing from the tournament, not because the prospects of how I play but to make sure my ankle has the proper time to recover.  If I rush it I will have ankle issues all summer and to me it's not worth that.  Ugh ....... decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Sad 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bummer. I hope whatever your decision you make is the right one. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

8 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

make sure my ankle has the proper time to recover.

On top of ensuring you heal completely before pushing it, make sure you work on mobility as much as you can! Roll your foot around on a basketball and do toe circles whenever you remember while you're sitting down.

I'm still dealing with reduced range of motion, from a very serious ankle sprain, about 5+ years ago. I'm finally giving it the work it needs to return to normal, but I wish I had done a lot more work on it during the initial healing process. 

Edited by ALi3
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, pseudoswede said:

@Brian_Mc and I hacked around South Suburban last night, and @thaar trailed a few holes behind us. I only had 18 putts...because I chipped in for birdie on 2. Otherwise, I just couldn't get a feel for the greens; and my overall game continues to be meh. Not to best of feelings going into my match play this weekend at Fossil Trace.

The only other highlight was my 347yd drive on 9 and subsequent LW to 2 feet. I won't talk about the birdie putt, nor about the guy in the group behind us who recent joined our beer league and how he launched his drive about 40 yards past mine.

My game is finally starting to come around.  Like @pseudoswede, I have yet to get those greens... chips or putts. Still a good night!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian_Mc said:

I just shot one of the best rounds of my life... 83, net 66! Looks like I got first place in my flight in the individual tourney at South Suburban!!

Sweet! You're going be giving me 4 pops on Thursday night! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, pseudoswede said:

We did a 2-man Red, White and Blue shamble Thursday that was a lot of fun. Basically, each team gets to pick their own tees, but they can't play each tee more than 3 times (and it doesn't have to be the same as the other team), so there is some fun strategy involved. We played the reds on hole 3, 5 and 9, though we missed the green on all of them lol, but just barely on two of them. I also got home in 2 on hole 6 from the whites for a birdie. I drove the ball pretty well that day.

It's amazing how a little adjustment in hand position with a driver can have so much of an impact. Despite the number of lessons I've had over the past 15 years, I have never had a coach tell me my hands were slightly forward. I moved them back a couple weeks ago to more of a neutral position and it has been working awesome - I'm talking maybe 2-3 inches further back. I have never done it before because it looks like the face of the driver points left of my target line. Now my spin numbers are lower, ball speeds are up, contact is solid, and as a result, distance is great.

My chipping has been really solid lately too and putting has been decent, but I keep missing greens on the regular. On Thursday, I missed the 165yd par 3 4th hole at the Burb by 50yds left 🤣. Fortunately, my chipping has really saved my butt lately. As for my iron game, last week, I shortened up my backswing (almost a 3/4 swing feel) in practice and I think it will start to pay off. I was striking the ball much better, but despite the shortened swing, I'm not sacrificing distance, so hopefully that sticks and starts to translate on the course. I'm really waiting for my scores to improve given the amount of work I've put in lol.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Why go to Kiawah when you could've played in howling winds here yesterday? And, unlike Kiawah, the wind direction seemed to change every 30 seconds.

I had an epic disaster of a round at Fossil Trace yesterday. I started off pretty well, but I did miss another 18" birdie putt on #1 as well as a 3-footer on #8. Even in the brutal wind (at one point, I drilled my 5-iron...150 yards...30 yards short of target), I was able to go out in 39.

On the back, I started bogey (almost duffed my approach into the water), double (pushed ball right...and right into a tree), triple (ball buried in a divot and shanked it dead right into the lateral), and the round simply got worse. I went from being 2-up in match play after 10 to 2-down by 16. On 17, I tin-cupped three straight balls into the water trying to get close to the green. Ended with a 49 on the back (only because I picked up after 8 on 17, which GHIN will adjust to a 7 or 6).

It probably was the wind affecting me (and everyone), but I was uncomfortable over the ball all day--and I can feel that I'm rarely hitting close to to the center of the clubface on most shots. I look forward to a weekend that isn't cold, rainy, and/or windy.

• Like 2

I'm glad I played City Park yesterday grabbing a spot that opened and not Walnut Creek where I was originally going to play. Winds were still manageable in the city. The fairways are still being kept pretty long at City Park. I'm guessing they continue with that. Costs less money and with full tee sheets every day no reason to change that. I think I'm done going there until they start cutting it down. Rounds are getting slower there too now that they are back to their regular tee time gaps. We were about 4:50 which is ridiculous for a shorter par 70 course like that.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I'm glad I played City Park yesterday grabbing a spot that opened and not Walnut Creek where I was originally going to play. Winds were still manageable in the city. The fairways are still being kept pretty long at City Park. I'm guessing they continue with that. Costs less money and with full tee sheets every day no reason to change that. I think I'm done going there until they start cutting it down. Rounds are getting slower there too now that they are back to their regular tee time gaps. We were about 4:50 which is ridiculous for a shorter par 70 course like that.

Wouldn't the cost of mowing offset the increased cost of watering long grass?

FRGC has their event at City Park on July 25. Hopefully (1) they mow and (2) we have early-ish tee times because I'm buying tickets to the Guster/CSO show at Red Rocks for that night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Wouldn't the cost of mowing offset the increased cost of watering long grass?

FRGC has their event at City Park on July 25. Hopefully (1) they mow and (2) we have early-ish tee times because I'm buying tickets to the Guster/CSO show at Red Rocks for that night.

They don't have to water, fertilize and cut as much if it is kept longer as the grass can handle the stress better at a longer length. It's still playable, but you'd get a lot more roll if it was cut like other courses. The layout doesn't help much with pace of play either. Having a long par 3 as the second hole has groups waiting on most shots on the front before it usually opens up a little on the back assuming nobody takes a long time getting food at the turn. That layout needs 12-15 minute tee times to avoid people waiting on most shots. Assuming no issues occur you can get around in 4.5 hours there, but they are much more susceptible to slowdowns than other courses using 10 minute gaps.

Found three a bunch of tournaments...

The Ridge at Castle Pines (Sunday, June 8) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/8th-annual-rocky-mountain-chapter-golf-tournament-tickets-150261455057 - $185/person; scramble; supports University of Texas (ew)

Spring Valley Golf Club (Friday, June 11) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/5th-annual-daltons-moon-golf-tournament-and-silent-auction-registration-148711681643 - $400/foursome

Colorado Golf Club (Monday, June 21) - https://birdease.com/CLCgolf2021 - $2000/foursome

The Ridge at Castle Pines (Monday, June 28) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-tackle-cancer-babe-parilli-memorial-celebrity-charity-golf-classic-registration-152134770193 - $1000/foursome

Pinery Golf Club (Monday, July 19) - https://birdease.com/2021ColoradoRockiesCharityGolfClassic - $5000/foursome (yikes!)

Lone Tree Golf Club (Tuesday, July 27) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/golf-for-wishes-tickets-142147636407 - $500/foursome

Arrowhead Golf Club (Thursday, August 5) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/7th-annual-bridge-of-hope-greater-denver-golf-classic-tickets-139023818985 - $800/foursome

Arrowhead Golf Club (Friday, August 13) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sme-annual-golf-tournament-tickets-139437949661 - $1000/foursome 

Twin Peaks Golf Course (Saturday, August 14) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/verde-tee-it-up-for-charity-tickets-154711980699 - $300/foursome

Hiwan Golf Club (Monday, August 23) - https://birdease.com/PartnerColoradoFoundation - $650/foursome (I think my buddy does this tournament every year; almost positive it's a scramble)

Thorncreek Golf Course (Friday, August 27) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coaimh-inaugural-golfing-for-babies-golf-tournament-tickets-154722748907 - $800/foursome

Buffalo Run Golf Course (Sunday, September 19) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/3rd-annual-yeti-classic-golf-tournament-tickets-96522592673 - $460/foursome

The Ranch Country Club (Monday, September 20) - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2021-father-shelton-memorial-golf-tournament-tickets-142567987689 - $780/foursome

Hahaha.... I found a website... https://scramblehunter.com/

Also... this organization does a "6-man scramble"... I might be interested in Arrowhead and Blackstone. https://nextgengolf.org/app/regions/denver-golf-tournaments

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1