MEMBER REVIEWS: Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

So exited to receive the notification from @knudson81. Huge Thank You to @GolfWRXand @Srixon / Cleveland Golffor the opportunity!

I haven’t received my irons yet but I’m in North Carolina so that’s understandable. 

I’ll start posting ASAP!

Congrats to @PureStrikes54 and @Torrey4Life!  Looking forward to your reviews. 

4 hours ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Received the notification I was selected for this from Knudson a few days ago and was beyond excited. A HUGE THANK YOU TO GOLFWRX AND SRIXON for putting this on. Things like this so frequently, combined with a super knowledgeable and friendly userbase, and finally unparalleled insight into new equipment releases and tour truck inside info is why this is the best golf site on the internet and it's not even close. 

Golf Background

I previously played golf in 7th and 8th grade and became pretty good quickly playing with high school kids and doing well in junior tournaments a long time ago. I had always been able to hit the ball extremely far with ease even as a youngster and I ended up doing well in some junior tournaments and had some moderate success in the game. Then high school came around and being tall and athletic the football season was the same time during golf and switched to the "normal" sports in high school (basketball, football, and track) and gave up golf. However, this got me to a top 25 division 1 college for track. Upon graduating college I started seriously getting back into golf. I still had crazy speed but couldn't have been more wild off the tee. Luckily I was able to work with a coach that has refined my game and gotten me a ton of control off the tee. This took my handicap into the plus territory and I started playing amateur tournaments again the summer of 2019 and obviously that was derailed because of the pandemic in 2020. However, I've been practicing a lot and my game is still sharp and ready to attack tournaments in 2021 now that a full schedule has been announced.

Playing Style

I'm 6'3, 210 lbs with long arms and a fairly aggressive transition. About 120-125mph with driver and 100-105mph 6 iron.  Always been a very good driver of the ball, good wedge player, with long iron play being the weakest part of my game.

Current Set Make Up

So since coming back and playing seriously I've only really played 3 sets of irons. Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project x 6.5, JPX 900 Tour HS s300's, and MP69/63 combo x100 currently (standard spec off 38" 5 iron and 1 degree up). I've always loved the feel of Mizuno blades and when coming back to play seriously again wanted to get something with a decent amount of feedback to improve my strike characteristics. I absolutely love the soft feel of Mizuno's and when I heard the Zx7's were endo forged I was crazy excited. I've also loved the feel of softer irons.

Srixon Zx7 order

I went with the Srixon Zx7 in 3-PW, Standard Length, 1 Degree Upright, Standard Loft. GP Tour Velvet +4's standard. I wanted to match the specs of my current set to get an apples to apples comparison. 

Srixon Zx7 First impressions

When the box arrived yesterday I was shocked. This was the fastest turnaround I'd ever seen for ANY golf club. Kudos to Srixon's build and  fulfilment team for this. Set arrived in a nice Srixon box and had the custom order sheet with the set. Set was more beautiful in person than even the photos do justice. You see someone with a set of these in a bag at a tournament it has a tiny bit of intimidation factor like this dude woke up feeling dangerous and is going to smoke a 5 iron from 215 over water into a par 5 to make eagle kind of vibes. Once opened I did what any WRXer would do and immediately went to the range. 

IMG_0874.jpg.3a4142df6c20a3e3ea095855ffe08876.jpgIMG_0869.jpg.006e853fbe29c40d3adb0dcbe462344e.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg.891b46f501ec5a6d549b66868edf4851.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg.79a46c57c1f9508dc33f20016205a12f.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg.19e2e5d3c63664bba5ffa00ea54b4c82.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg.49c04f3283b5ae5a2d2e1bdcf6fb4d60.jpg

Range Session:
Got to my local range and got these bad boys out of the plastic. Sick is the only word I can think to describe them. They look A LOT like the Mizuno JPX Tour line but are just BETTER LOOKING. My approach was to take each club out one at a time and hit a few with my gamer MP69/63's and then a few with the Srixon Zx7's.

Thoughts on Initial Look
Definitely a slightly thicker topline, sole, blade length, and slightly more offset you'd expect to see transitioning from a blade to a player's cavity. However in the longer irons this was "confidence inspiring". The iron frames the ball nicely and just looks "hot" vs. the MP69. It looks like you are going to pick up 5-10 yards each club.

First Swings
After hitting a few gamers and switching to the Zx7 short irons I was literally astonished at how much better the ball "jumps" off the face with these vs. the Mizunos.  A much stronger thwack and definitely a meaningful increase in ball speed.

Sound/Feel:
So Mizunos are always about as soft as you can get and especially in a blade head shape. The Zx7 almost matches Mizuno blade feel despite being a large players cavity. I would say the Zx7 is just a tiny bit more "clicky" but not in a bad way. I think the larger sole and head profile is the only reason for this. However, if you compare the Zx7 to the JPX 900 Tour it is NO CONTEST. Blows the JPX 900 tour out of the water and it's not even close on sound/feel. On the soft blade to clicky players cavity spectrum the Zx7 is WAYYYYY closer to the soft blade than players cavity. In comparing the z945 blade to the Zx7 the Zx7 I think feels better. So in those releases Srixon has figured out how to make a players cavity feel better than a previous blade offering. 

The sound is more of a soft thwack while my MP69's were more of a muted thud if that makes sense. Srixon really took their game to the next level with these being endo forged and 1020 carbon. I also think an INCREDIBLE value for what you are getting. 

Performance and Ball Flight:
Slightly higher launch and spin in the Zx7's than the Mizuno's. These are easily 1/2 to a full club longer. Slightly more draw bias due to the tungsten in the toe weighting. I play a draw so this was welcomed and anyone that struggles with wipes or right going right misses THIS IS THE CLUB FOR YOU. I would say PW through 8 Iron these performed as well as the Mizuno Blades which is shocking being a players cavity. 

Now the long irons, SRIXON HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK with the long irons. In the 3 through 7 iron these are the best long irons I've ever hit and it is not even close. EASILY a full club longer with tighter dispersion than the Mizzy's. A nice tight draw with the perfect launch and spin. These would be incredible on some of the tighter courses that host tournaments taking irons off the tee for position while still getting really nice distance. Was seeing 230-235 carry with the 4 iron vs. 220 with Mizuno and could do everything I asked and more. Stingers, super high soft landing shots, stock tight draw, baby low spin fade, etc. it just did everything.  With long irons being the weakest part of my game these are a HOME RUN with this performance pickup. I used to despise 215+ yard par 3's and now will welcome them as an opportunity to gain strokes on the field. Anyone on the fence between the Zx5's and Zx7's the Zx7's are crazy forgiving and I think can be played by a wide range of handicaps. One range session and I'm a believer. 

V sole vs. Mizzy Sole
Slightly wider and thicker sole in the Srixon's. The grass was not open at the range but am beyond excited to see how these work on the course. The V sole also makes these much more forgiving than the Mizzy's in the added bounce gives you more forgiveness. It almost seems like it's going to be tough to lose meaningful distance if you hit slightly behind the ball with these vs. the Mizzy's you're coming up 15 yards short.

Conclusion:
All in all I couldn't be any happier with the performance. Srixon hit it out of the park with this release and I think is going to go down as one of those timeless releases. The price point and value you are getting for endo forging and 1020 carbon is also ridiculous. Anyone on the fence that didn't know as much about Srixon or wouldn't normally try it absolutely needs to try these in this season's release. You really get the best of all portions of the golfing spectrum with these irons, feel/sound/workability of a blade, absolute latest and greatest forgiveness technology, probably the best looking iron in it's class, and something standing over the ball you KNOW you can just rip with confidence. 

Placeholder for on course feedback:
I look forward to getting on the course soon and giving some feedback on how these perform off grass.

IMG_0876.jpg.fb824115c05b633bc8e88edcad39348f.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg.2c4acaf781956e84a3efd4ef4432da36.jpgIMG_0877.jpg.181ced85af4e14e04e929c2e5e4f2211.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg.7c24d732151c2ac84e81a79468ad5735.jpg

9 Iron Comparison Pic to MP69
IMG_0880.jpg.b5aca3c5818c76fff9da82ebcf259d1b.jpg

6 Iron Comparison Pic to z945 6 Iron.
I had a z945 6 iron fitting club laying around from when Golfsmith closed and they were offloading all remaining store items.
IMG_0882.jpg.0ccd575a8511f339189677aabbce7d58.jpg

Zx7 6 iron on left and z945 on the right sole comparison
IMG_0883.jpg.3350b368afc03f47a25dfc0dd1dbf622.jpg

Driving Range Day 2:

Mizuno MP69 6 iron vs. Srixon Zx7, some real world launch monitor stats. Both were 6 irons off mats with a range ball and well struck shots. The Srixon Zx7 provided 3 mph of additional ball speed, 7 yards of additional carry, 10 yards of additional total distance, much better launch/apex/landing angles/and hang time... 

This is just such a hot faced and forgiving iron head while maintaining the exceptional feel people look for in a player's iron.

There also is a buzz on these clubs. Saw a guy while getting range balls in line that saw the Srixon box and asked me which new Srixon's they were. He was gaming z745's and said his buddy had just bought Zx7's and said they were incredible so players are taking notice. 

Mizuno Numbers:
IMG_0890.jpg.90ff60d5ad9817c9c12900eb11297bf7.jpg

Srixon Zx7 Numbers:
IMG_0892.jpg.65d221bd556ef35147473b13d51dd104.jpg

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 3

Congrats to the winners!!!  Looking forward to more awesome reviews of these sticks.  Loving the 785, Srixon is just killing it with their gear the last few years!

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Congrats guys. Give em hell!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Enjoy! I'm in for the follow. Got a set of 4-AW ZX5 coming my way! (Eventually... been told that they were 'in production' 3 different times now, over 3 weeks.)

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Congrats to the selected testers, looking forward to your insights on the new sticks.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

On 2/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

Received the notification I was selected for this from Knudson a few days ago and was beyond excited. A HUGE THANK YOU TO GOLFWRX AND SRIXON for putting this on. Things like this so frequently, combined with a super knowledgeable and friendly userbase, and finally unparalleled insight into new equipment releases and tour truck inside info is why this is the best golf site on the internet and it's not even close. 

Golf Background

I previously played golf in 7th and 8th grade and became pretty good quickly playing with high school kids and doing well in junior tournaments a long time ago. I had always been able to hit the ball extremely far with ease even as a youngster and I ended up doing well in some junior tournaments and had some moderate success in the game. Then high school came around and being tall and athletic the football season was the same time during golf and switched to the "normal" sports in high school (basketball, football, and track) and gave up golf. However, this got me to a top 25 division 1 college for track. Upon graduating college I started seriously getting back into golf. I still had crazy speed but couldn't have been more wild off the tee. Luckily I was able to work with a coach that has refined my game and gotten me a ton of control off the tee. This took my handicap into the plus territory and I started playing amateur tournaments again the summer of 2019 and obviously that was derailed because of the pandemic in 2020. However, I've been practicing a lot and my game is still sharp and ready to attack tournaments in 2021 now that a full schedule has been announced.

Playing Style

I'm 6'3, 210 lbs with long arms and a fairly aggressive transition. About 120-125mph with driver and 100-105mph 6 iron.  Always been a very good driver of the ball, good wedge player, with long iron play being the weakest part of my game.

Current Set Make Up

So since coming back and playing seriously I've only really played 3 sets of irons. Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project x 6.5, JPX 900 Tour HS s300's, and MP69/63 combo x100 currently (standard spec off 38" 5 iron and 1 degree up). I've always loved the feel of Mizuno blades and when coming back to play seriously again wanted to get something with a decent amount of feedback to improve my strike characteristics. I absolutely love the soft feel of Mizuno's and when I heard the Zx7's were endo forged I was crazy excited. I've also loved the feel of softer irons.

Srixon Zx7 order

I went with the Srixon Zx7 in 3-PW, TI x100 Standard Length, 1 Degree Upright, Standard Loft. GP Tour Velvet +4's standard. I wanted to match the specs of my current set to get an apples to apples comparison. 

Srixon Zx7 First impressions

When the box arrived yesterday I was shocked. This was the fastest turnaround I'd ever seen for ANY golf club. Kudos to Srixon's build and  fulfilment team for this. Set arrived in a nice Srixon box and had the custom order sheet with the set. Set was more beautiful in person than even the photos do justice. You see someone with a set of these in a bag at a tournament it has a tiny bit of intimidation factor like this dude woke up feeling dangerous and is going to smoke a 5 iron from 215 over water into a par 5 to make eagle kind of vibes. Once opened I did what any WRXer would do and immediately went to the range. 

IMG_0874.jpg.3a4142df6c20a3e3ea095855ffe08876.jpgIMG_0869.jpg.006e853fbe29c40d3adb0dcbe462344e.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg.891b46f501ec5a6d549b66868edf4851.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg.79a46c57c1f9508dc33f20016205a12f.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg.19e2e5d3c63664bba5ffa00ea54b4c82.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg.49c04f3283b5ae5a2d2e1bdcf6fb4d60.jpg

Range Session:
Got to my local range and got these bad boys out of the plastic. Sick is the only word I can think to describe them. They look A LOT like the Mizuno JPX Tour line but are just BETTER LOOKING. My approach was to take each club out one at a time and hit a few with my gamer MP69/63's and then a few with the Srixon Zx7's.

Thoughts on Initial Look
Definitely a slightly thicker topline, sole, blade length, and slightly more offset you'd expect to see transitioning from a blade to a player's cavity. However in the longer irons this was "confidence inspiring". The iron frames the ball nicely and just looks "hot" vs. the MP69. It looks like you are going to pick up 5-10 yards each club.

First Swings
After hitting a few gamers and switching to the Zx7 short irons I was literally astonished at how much better the ball "jumps" off the face with these vs. the Mizunos.  A much stronger thwack and definitely a meaningful increase in ball speed.

Sound/Feel:
So Mizunos are always about as soft as you can get and especially in a blade head shape. The Zx7 almost matches Mizuno blade feel despite being a large players cavity. I would say the Zx7 is just a tiny bit more "clicky" but not in a bad way. I think the larger sole and head profile is the only reason for this. However, if you compare the Zx7 to the JPX 900 Tour it is NO CONTEST. Blows the JPX 900 tour out of the water and it's not even close on sound/feel. On the soft blade to clicky players cavity spectrum the Zx7 is WAYYYYY closer to the soft blade than players cavity. In comparing the z945 blade to the Zx7 the Zx7 I think feels better. So in those releases Srixon has figured out how to make a players cavity feel better than a previous blade offering. 

The sound is more of a soft thwack while my MP69's were more of a muted thud if that makes sense. Srixon really took their game to the next level with these being endo forged and 1020 carbon. I also think an INCREDIBLE value for what you are getting. 

Performance and Ball Flight:
Slightly higher launch and spin in the Zx7's than the Mizuno's. These are easily 1/2 to a full club longer. Slightly more draw bias due to the tungsten in the toe weighting. I play a draw so this was welcomed and anyone that struggles with wipes or right going right misses THIS IS THE CLUB FOR YOU. I would say PW through 8 Iron these performed as well as the Mizuno Blades which is shocking being a players cavity. 

Now the long irons, SRIXON HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK with the long irons. In the 3 through 7 iron these are the best long irons I've ever hit and it is not even close. EASILY a full club longer with tighter dispersion than the Mizzy's. A nice tight draw with the perfect launch and spin. These would be incredible on some of the tighter courses that host tournaments taking irons off the tee for position while still getting really nice distance. Was seeing 230-235 carry with the 4 iron vs. 220 with Mizuno and could do everything I asked and more. Stingers, super high soft landing shots, stock tight draw, baby low spin fade, etc. it just did everything.  With long irons being the weakest part of my game these are a HOME RUN with this performance pickup. I used to despise 215+ yard par 3's and now will welcome them as an opportunity to gain strokes on the field. Anyone on the fence between the Zx5's and Zx7's the Zx7's are crazy forgiving and I think can be played by a wide range of handicaps. One range session and I'm a believer. 

V sole vs. Mizzy Sole
Slightly wider and thicker sole in the Srixon's. The grass was not open at the range but am beyond excited to see how these work on the course. The V sole also makes these much more forgiving than the Mizzy's in the added bounce gives you more forgiveness. It almost seems like it's going to be tough to lose meaningful distance if you hit slightly behind the ball with these vs. the Mizzy's you're coming up 15 yards short.

Conclusion:
All in all I couldn't be any happier with the performance. Srixon hit it out of the park with this release and I think is going to go down as one of those timeless releases. The price point and value you are getting for endo forging and 1020 carbon is also ridiculous. Anyone on the fence that didn't know as much about Srixon or wouldn't normally try it absolutely needs to try these in this season's release. You really get the best of all portions of the golfing spectrum with these irons, feel/sound/workability of a blade, absolute latest and greatest forgiveness technology, probably the best looking iron in it's class, and something standing over the ball you KNOW you can just rip with confidence. 

Placeholder for on course feedback:
I look forward to getting on the course soon and giving some feedback on how these perform off grass.

IMG_0876.jpg.fb824115c05b633bc8e88edcad39348f.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg.2c4acaf781956e84a3efd4ef4432da36.jpgIMG_0877.jpg.181ced85af4e14e04e929c2e5e4f2211.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg.7c24d732151c2ac84e81a79468ad5735.jpg

9 Iron Comparison Pic to MP69
IMG_0880.jpg.b5aca3c5818c76fff9da82ebcf259d1b.jpg

6 Iron Comparison Pic to z945 6 Iron.
I had a z945 6 iron fitting club laying around from when Golfsmith closed and they were offloading all remaining store items.
IMG_0882.jpg.0ccd575a8511f339189677aabbce7d58.jpg

very good review. Glad you liked em....the only thing i will say is "nice srixon box"??? that box and the way they packed em looks jacked.....they are beautiful clubs...congrats

15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

very good review. Glad you liked em....the only thing i will say is "nice srixon box"??? that box and the way they packed em looks jacked.....they are beautiful clubs...congrats

yeah I think because they came right away from the custom department they didn’t get the full “pretty” boxing treatment with foam and everything and Fedex could have done a better job handling. Luckily the clubs themselves all came flawless and top notch build quality. Thanks. 

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

Great read so far!

Is it the photo or does the ZX7 sole seem narrower than the 945?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

36 minutes ago, rsh0308 said:

Great read so far!

Is it the photo or does the ZX7 sole seem narrower than the 945?

Yes, I'm almost positive it is narrower. That was one aspect of the z945 fitting club I had I wasn't the biggest fan of was how wide and much bounce was even on a blade sole and in the Zx7 it isn't nearly as noticeable at least on mats. Waiting until I can hit off of grass to get a full read on the turf interaction, but a positive thus far.

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Torrey4Life said:

Intro
I have to say that when I was selected I was quite shocked – I mean we just finished 2020 and January 2021 was quite a long year, I wasn’t expecting the world to chill out for a while.  

I’ve been fitted multiple times but given my preference (prejudice?) I just never wandered over into the Srixon corner.  I bought the MP20 MMCs a few months ago (fitted at Club Champion) and have loved them.  

And I would be remiss if I did not again thank GolfWRX and Srixon - I'm truly blessed to be one of the lucky three.

About Me
Just a little about me to help frame things.  I’m early 40s, started golfing late in life at 34.  FWIW I’m pretty athletic (and played almost every sport when I was younger) but I am not a big hitter.  I got down to a single index within 2 years of starting but due to marriage, kids, and a pretty busy career I never really had the time to devote to going lower (I’ve been 7.x-8.x for 5 years now with almost zero range time, playing once a week).  My home course is Torrey and my scoring average is 83.4 (either tips or one up, depends on how I feel that day).  Iron play the last couple years has been pretty steady but as someone whose name is not stitched onto their bag I have ups and downs.  I’m an unabashed Mizuno iron homer.  

First Impressions 
These looked nice on the web but when I unboxed and really looked at them I was quite taken with the clean lines.   One of the things I’ve always liked about Mizuno line is the super clean simple designs that just gives me a quiet confident yep.  These Z5s have that but just a little more braggadocio, rather than flowy curves they’re more angular and aggressive in the badging.  The topline is thicker which I know bothers some but they’re not chunky looking at address and it doesn’t bother me.  I slightly prefer the MP20 MMC look but that’s a taste thing so YMMV.  And to be honest the badging on any club could be my least favorite reality star’s punchable face but if they make me better on the course I really wouldn’t care that much.  Bottom line…they’re very attractive clubs.  

Pictures

By the way, shout out to all you equipment photographers.  I never realized how hard it is to avoid weird reflections of yourself and get the lighting right and all that jazz.

Pitching Wedge

Pa.jpg.509a2cf8e8b6b16e30e884b3ca3fd211.jpgPb.jpg.84607de000b55eda325bfd88046bfbab.jpgPc.jpg.9e320148faf18ec423bafd6387d8f54a.jpgPd.jpg.820772a17660163264183e02835a185c.jpg

7i

7a.jpg.8a8ae3815a2d09876a5e4698b90d83b8.jpg7b.jpg.1003270a302452cb9347784d5392af5d.jpg7c.jpg.c8868395f3b09c87a2e421d0a23ca08e.jpg7d.jpg.cf56d0bf92311dd78e649dc0fd7b992e.jpg

4i

4a.jpg.07c399290e4113141c895606dd0921b6.jpg4b.jpg.7519a5240fdc139e53b6256cb110288e.jpg4c.jpg.2ff74f8a15b140796d5dab9e899c3170.jpg4d.jpg.e254176217b6b5b76dcf64fd71300257.jpg

On-Course Impressions
First chance I could get I ran to Torrey North even before hitting these on the range.  Pretty risky but go big or go home!

Feel was GREAT on solid hits, as good as any club I’ve hit.  Really nice.  Ball flight was higher.  Strikes not in the sweet spot were a little “clickier” than my MP20s but that’s not unexpected I don’t think.  But the forgiveness was noticeably better than the MP20s.  I told the folks I got paired with and they were surprised at the consistency with which I was hitting, which I attribute to the forgiveness and larger sweet spot!  Can’t wait to see how they are when I get used to them.

Distances were longer than I was used to (maybe a half club), and were noticeably more consistent with less than stellar strikes.  That’s something that I was really quite impressed by.  As an 8.x currently this extra help was much appreciated!  I hit a couple 6’s that were slightly off the sweet spot but both times I was supplied with a high, tight draw that stopped within a yard of impact at the exact distance I was expecting it to fly.

Turf interaction was great – I’m not a deep divot taker and the wider soles really glided nicely the couple shots that were a hair behind the ball.  No penalty, again that forgiveness just built into the fabric of the club.

I only hit 2x 4i shots and one was just a bad swing, not enough to really judge the long irons yet.  PureStrike54 is a much better golfer than I and he raved about them – trust that. 

The only thing that I wasn’t super fond of was a definite draw bias.  That took me a couple shots to realize and account for.   I didn’t really try to do any intentional shaping but it felt like I was going to have to work a little harder to cut it (sad that this didn’t rub off on my driver a bit, ha).

Summary

• Looks: Slight edge to MP20 MMC (for me) but these are definitely growing on me the more I look at them
  • Distance: Z5 by a decent amount
  • Feel: MP20 by a very slight margin, but with solid sweet spot hits they are both wonderful
  • Forgiveness: Z5 for sure
  • Turf Interaction: I actually preferred the Z5 here
  • Workability: MP20 due to Z5 draw bias, but this does have the effect of removing big right misses…I definitely sometimes hit big peelers with the MP20 longer irons which isn’t great

OVERALL: The consistency of the Z5 does objectively win as the set that's best for me.  I was expecting the Z5s to be a little more “friendly” but they exceeded what I thought they might be.

Conclusion
As we all know our inherent biases towards gear can sometimes be hard to overturn.  I just can’t deny however that even though the MP20s were custom fit (and pured) the Z5 seem to be at least as good if not better.  I’m going to be putting them in my bag for my next few rounds to see (and probably a couple more launch monitor sessions) and if things keep up they’re going to stay there.  

I plan to hit a launch monitor tomorrow if I’m not super hungover.  I will do it regardless as soon as I can and report back.  Please hit me up with any questions and I’ll do my best to answer!

GO CHIEFS

902552556_ScreenShot2021-02-05at7_18_45PM.png.3865b82357fa705c853e2b0bf910f47f.png

So awesome that Torrey is your home course and you can just get on at a moments notice. What an incredible place to put these through the paces a few days after the Farmers. 

The draw bias seems to be a theme. Going to do some more testing, report back, and might bend the lies one degree flatter at least in the short irons. However, those that fight the right miss which is tons of golfers these irons are an instant improvement.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

So awesome that Torrey is your home course and you can just get on at a moments notice. What an incredible place to put these through the paces a few days after the Farmers. 

The draw bias seems to be a theme. Going to do some more testing, report back, and might bend the lies one degree flatter at least in the short irons. However, those that fight the right miss which is tons of golfers these irons are an instant improvement.

It was quite fortuitous - normally it's quite hard to get on at a decent time.  They had the rough down somewhat (it was only up to my ankles...and thankfully I avoided the worst of it) so I didn't get/have to test it out of that slaw.  

You're right about the draw bias being beneficial - it took out the biggest misses for me at least.  Long irons and I don't really get along that great because of said miss pattern and this is where they are going to shine I think.  

Also goddamn dude how do you hit your irons so far. O_o

Edited by Torrey4Life
  • Like 2

thanks for the reviews, appreciate the time

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 2/5/2021 at 1:32 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

Yes, I'm almost positive it is narrower. That was one aspect of the z945 fitting club I had I wasn't the biggest fan of was how wide and much bounce was even on a blade sole and in the Zx7 it isn't nearly as noticeable at least on mats. Waiting until I can hit off of grass to get a full read on the turf interaction, but a positive thus far.

So I had the chance to hit a few of these off grass tonight...Disclaimer...I did not like the z945 sole in the testing club I have (feels chunky and almost like a high bounce wedge). It was a non-starter for Srixon a few years ago because of this. The Zx7 is much improved over the z945. Most of that chunky feeling is gone. I do prefer a slightly narrower sole but I realize there are tradeoffs for getting the forgiveness of a player's cavity.  

In comparing to a Mizuno blade, the Zx7 v sole just flies through the impact zone. It feels like you don't get slowed down at all by the turf interaction while the Mizzy kind of sticks just for a split second to cut the divot. They are both good and the turf interaction will take some getting used to. 

However, the Zx7's caught a dub on the PGA Tour today with Brooksie hitting 86% of GIR's after being in a long slump.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

yeah I think because they came right away from the custom department they didn’t get the full “pretty” boxing treatment with foam and everything and Fedex could have done a better job handling. Luckily the clubs themselves all came flawless and top notch build quality. Thanks. 

ive ordered a few custom sets from srixon and none of them have ever come with foam or bubble wrap to protect the heads.  what you see in the pics is what i've gotten every time.  

On 2/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

So I had the chance to hit a few of these off grass tonight...Disclaimer...I did not like the z945 sole in the testing club I have (feels chunky and almost like a high bounce wedge). It was a non-starter for Srixon a few years ago because of this. The Zx7 is much improved over the z945. Most of that chunky feeling is gone. I do prefer a slightly narrower sole but I realize there are tradeoffs for getting the forgiveness of a player's cavity.  

In comparing to a Mizuno blade, the Zx7 v sole just flies through the impact zone. It feels like you don't get slowed down at all by the turf interaction while the Mizzy kind of sticks just for a split second to cut the divot. They are both good and the turf interaction will take some getting used to. 

However, the Zx7's caught a dub on the PGA Tour today with Brooksie hitting 86% of GIR's after being in a long slump.

Whelp another night of practice off grass. The Zx7's are actually very soft and feel softer the more reps I get in. I didn't really notice this the first few days of testing off mats but shots right out of the middle off grass literally almost feel like "nothing" but are still "hot".  Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but these are quite the irons.

I also think my face/path control has neutralized with these as I didn't notice as much draw bias. Need to get back on the monitor to confirm the ball movement numbers but thus far no "let down". If I can confidently get rid of the big sweeping draw with the short irons I don't see any reason these can't go in the bag for tournaments. 

Edited by PureStrikes54