Iron Covers

On 2/11/2021 at 4:25 AM, GSDriver said:

As my 7 year old forged irons look essentially new thanks to my clear castle bay iron covers, I'll confess, same set of covers since I purchased the irons in 2014, haven't lost one yet.....so WTF is with others who can't keep track of them?   Asking for a friend 🙂

Neoprene covers get beat up. Those clear plastic ones… I have those too, but I only use them for travel.

My Blueprints still look pristine on the back. The work side is starting to look like they've worked. Feels like a broken in baseball glove. Still sharp on the back, but perfectly wabi-sabi.

• Like 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

On 2/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, BallerNate said:

I’ve seen a few guys on WRX make comments about how much they hate Iron Covers. Just asking why people dislike them so much?

I personally hate club chatter marks and dents on my Irons, so I use Iron covers to protect my clubs. To me it’s just protecting my investment, but have also bought a new bag this year with 14 dividers, so that should help also.

Just curious about the dislike for Iron Covers and what you guys do to protect your clubs, or do you just not care about the club chatter/dings?

I leave my golf bag in the car 24/7 so I do use iron covers and a rain-hood to avoid unnecessary club chatters and noises. However, they stay in the car when I'm out on the course. I do enjoy the clanking sound while walking. 

I have nothing against people using iron covers as long as they don't affect the pace of play, which rarely is the case. A slow player will be slow and a fast player will be fast regardless of whether or not that person uses extra accessories. 

So to each his own. U do u and stop worrying about others' opinions since they don't pay for ur mortgage. 

Cheers

• Like 2

7 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Neoprene covers get beat up. Those clear plastic ones… I have those too, but I only use them for travel.

My Blueprints still look pristine on the back. The work side is starting to look like they've worked. Feels like a broken in baseball glove. Still sharp on the back, but perfectly wabi-sabi.

I’ve never seen clear plastic Iron covers, but have had black plastic and black neoprene.

I agree that the plastic ones are probably more durable, and seems like they stay on more easily also.

Love the look of a well maintained set of Irons...a beautiful sight for sure!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

6 hours ago, swagee said:

I leave my golf bag in the car 24/7 so I do use iron covers and a rain-hood to avoid unnecessary club chatters and noises. However, they stay in the car when I'm out on the course. I do enjoy the clanking sound while walking. 

I have nothing against people using iron covers as long as they don't affect the pace of play, which rarely is the case. A slow player will be slow and a fast player will be fast regardless of whether or not that person uses extra accessories. 

So to each his own. U do u and stop worrying about others' opinions since they don't pay for ur mortgage. 

Cheers

Agree 100%!! I’ve always used Iron covers and rain hood as well, but also used Iron covers on the course except for a couple of times to experiment on whether it would be quicker not to have them on.

This season I’m going to try an adapted version where I’ll keep the Iron covers on in the car and travelling, but only keep them on while on the course for rounds w/ a power cart.

Much more damage caused to clubs w/ power cart rounds in my experience. Will also be trying a carry bag instead of a push cart this season for most rounds, which also causes less damage I think.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

I use em and love my stuff looking as new as possible for as long as possible. I have a question for those who either: Stopped using after having issues losing them and the folks worried about losing them......How many clubs have you lost since you've started playing golf?

I have never lost a club or a club head cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justasgood said:

I use em and love my stuff looking as new as possible for as long as possible. I have a question for those who either: Stopped using after having issues losing them and the folks worried about losing them......How many clubs have you lost since you've started playing golf?

I have never lost a club or a club head cover.

Yeah, I think that’s the common thread with everyone that uses Iron covers...they just want their Irons to look new/fresh as long as possible regardless of what other people think.

Your question is the biggest mystery in this discussion though...who are these people who are losing Iron covers, and slowing down play? These people will be remembered in history like the mythical unicorns of golf! 😉🦄

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

WITB on WRX

WRX does not represent the 'average golfer' obviously.  I think the slow players with iron covers correlation comes from real world experiences though.  However, this average player that is clueless and happens to have iron covers and is slowing down play all day long would be doing the same without covers.  For example, several times I've had the experience of watching a disheveled, disorganized pair scramble to load up their cart and then pull in front of my group just in time to make their tee time.  Watching the show and then catching a glimpse of the iron covers, ball retrievers, etc. let me know I was in for a 5+ hour round.

• Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

WRX does not represent the 'average golfer' obviously.  I think the slow players with iron covers correlation comes from real world experiences though.  However, this average player that is clueless and happens to have iron covers and is slowing down play all day long would be doing the same without covers.  For example, several times I've had the experience of watching a disheveled, disorganized pair scramble to load up their cart and then pull in front of my group just in time to make their tee time.  Watching the show and then catching a glimpse of the iron covers, ball retrievers, etc. let me know I was in for a 5+ hour round.

Ok, so now we’re getting somewhere!

So it’s not the Iron covers or losing them that makes these slow players slow, it’s the fact that these slow players just happen to have Iron covers and they’d be slow regardless of if they had them or not.

So really the Iron covers have nothing to do with it then, and you guys are only noticing that they have them because they’re so slow and you can see their bags? But regular/fast paced players could also be using Iron covers and you just can’t see it because they’re on the hole ahead.

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Ok, so now we’re getting somewhere!

So it’s not the Iron covers or losing them that makes these slow players slow, it’s the fact that these slow players just happen to have Iron covers and they’d be slow regardless of if they had them or not.

So really the Iron covers have nothing to do with it then, and you guys are only noticing that they have them because they’re so slow and you can see their bags? But regular/fast paced players could also be using Iron covers and you just can’t see it because they’re on the hole ahead.

This is usually the conclusion. The overly-deliberate player is exactly the mentality of someone who would be deliberate with covers. A head case, really. Slow as. So when you get stuck behind one, you can see the deliberate play happen in a few ways; iron covers, overreading greens, 7 practice swings, all while not helping and while it's their turn. Note iron covers are the product here, but sometimes you get the same complaint about laser users. "Why didn't they shoot that while the other guy was going?" When that happens, people then focus their hate on lasers because it's the product that's being time-abusive.

I know I'm not the fastest player when I'm grinding, but I also know to do that mental work while it's others' turns. I'm polite, but I'm out there looking while they're going. I hate being out of position for any reason, and sometimes I have to actually slow down when it's an opponent's fault and just do my thing. But I'm conscious of laser and covers. I've also got a system. I'm quick with those tools. Some guys are not, and they build that hate quickly and somewhat permanently into the people that end up losing an hour to them. It's like hitting every red light on a long trip… it wears on you.

• Like 2

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

11 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

This is usually the conclusion. The overly-deliberate player is exactly the mentality of someone who would be deliberate with covers. A head case, really. Slow as. So when you get stuck behind one, you can see the deliberate play happen in a few ways; iron covers, overreading greens, 7 practice swings, all while not helping and while it's their turn. Note iron covers are the product here, but sometimes you get the same complaint about laser users. "Why didn't they shoot that while the other guy was going?" When that happens, people then focus their hate on lasers because it's the product that's being time-abusive.

I know I'm not the fastest player when I'm grinding, but I also know to do that mental work while it's others' turns. I'm polite, but I'm out there looking while they're going. I hate being out of position for any reason, and sometimes I have to actually slow down when it's an opponent's fault and just do my thing. But I'm conscious of laser and covers. I've also got a system. I'm quick with those tools. Some guys are not, and they build that hate quickly and somewhat permanently into the people that end up losing an hour to them. It's like hitting every red light on a long trip… it wears on you.

Makes sense. Well, I’ve never been the slowest in any group that I’ve been in while using my Iron covers, and most times the groups ahead of me are the ones slowing me down.

For me personally, if I have a super-slow group ahead, I’ll just play through and skip a hole. Would rather have to skip a hole than deal with waiting 15 mins on every Tee and have a 4-5 hour round. Life’s too short and it’s not worth the headaches.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense. Well, I’ve never been the slowest in any group that I’ve been in while using my Iron covers, and most times the groups ahead of me are the ones slowing me down.

For me personally, if I have a super-slow group ahead, I’ll just play through and skip a hole. Would rather have to skip a hole than deal with waiting 15 mins on every Tee and have a 4-5 hour round. Life’s too short and it’s not worth the headaches.

In my experience those groups aren't aware enough to allow the play through, makes for a long day

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

21 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

In my experience those groups aren't aware enough to allow the play through, makes for a long day

Yeah for sure, you’re right. I’ll usually wait for a decent time and start walking/driving around and tell them I’m playing through rather than asking (in as friendly a way as possible). 

Usually with that type of group there are at least 3-4 open holes ahead of them, so it’s usually fine with the course marshall...just makes their jobs easier.

Edited by BallerNate

WITB on WRX

On 2/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, Nessism said:

You have got to be kidding me.  In all the various threads we have had on iron cover usage, and there have been dozens, this is the first time I've heard that claim.

Is this sarcasm? I've never seen or heard a discussion about iron covers that didn't mention slow play. Whether or not there's any truth to that claim is a different story though.

Edited by cbeau166

My Setup:

• :titelist-small: 917D2 Driver
  • :titelist-small: 917F2 Fairway Wood
  • :titelist-small: 816H1 Hybrid
  • :wilson_staff_small: D350 Irons 5-AW (23-47)
  • :taylormade-small: Milled Grind Wedges (52.09 & 56.12)
  • :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2-Ball Putter
  • :titelist-small: 2021 Players 4 Plus Stand Bag

4 hours ago, ASN21 said:

I don’t know if anyone watched the genesis coverage today but Faldo called bubbas covers nerdy. 

I have the same ones. I usually use neoprene, but believe it or not, I think those are the best kind. I've looked for others with the clips that aren't so big, but those are the only ones like that.

Frankly, Faldo is just a dork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

I have always used iron head covers. About a year ago I got fitted for for a set full set of Ping G410s. Driver to gap wedge. The irons aren't forged and have the hydro-pearl finish which just looks great. To have these clanking around in the bag would be a careless waste to my mind. I use the neoprene covers which are quick to get on and off. Most days my umbrella is not in use so the handle is pointed at me righr next to the iron heads in my bag. I can get a cover off an on in a couple of seconds. During the shot the cover is sitting on the umbrella handle. Head covers and time wasting is a myth. If people are wasting time with head covers, they are the same people who waste more time, looking for their ball where they wanted it to go instead of where it went, walking slow between shots, watch others until their shot has finished then start stuffing around with their club selection, take 4-5 practice swings then change clubs, wait until it is their turn to putt then start dancing around the green checking break. I like most golfers who understand proper etiquette hate slow play. People who cause slow play either dont understand the rules and etiquette or are just arrogant and selfish. Head covers are not a factor...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ASN21 said:

I don’t know if anyone watched the genesis coverage today but Faldo called bubbas covers nerdy. 

Who lied to Faldo and told him he was cool enough to call someone else nerdy, Lol? 🙃

WITB on WRX

26 minutes ago, G410Aust said:

I have always used iron head covers. About a year ago I got fitted for for a set full set of Ping G410s. Driver to gap wedge. The irons aren't forged and have the hydro-pearl finish which just looks great. To have these clanking around in the bag would be a careless waste to my mind. I use the neoprene covers which are quick to get on and off. Most days my umbrella is not in use so the handle is pointed at me righr next to the iron heads in my bag. I can get a cover off an on in a couple of seconds. During the shot the cover is sitting on the umbrella handle. Head covers and time wasting is a myth. If people are wasting time with head covers, they are the same people who waste more time, looking for their ball where they wanted it to go instead of where it went, walking slow between shots, watch others until their shot has finished then start stuffing around with their club selection, take 4-5 practice swings then change clubs, wait until it is their turn to putt then start dancing around the green checking break. I like most golfers who understand proper etiquette hate slow play. People who cause slow play either dont understand the rules and etiquette or are just arrogant and selfish. Head covers are not a factor...

Exactly...well said!

• Thanks 1

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, G410Aust said:

Totally agree - I use head covers and never keep anyone waiting!

Welp, looks like I jinxed myself. After not losing a single Iron cover in over 15 yrs, today I became one of those guys who lost a cover, Lol!!!

Happened before or after a simulator round no less, in the parking lot I think...oh man I feel like an idiot!!

homer simpson GIF

Edited by BallerNate

WITB on WRX

For anyone reading this thread who is wondering what the best type of Iron covers are to buy...here are my thoughts.

Bought these leatherette covers made by Finger Ten on Amazon in November, and this is the set I lost the 7-iron cover for (Pic #1). They look pretty good, but the velcro system they have inside the covers makes taking them on/off a little tricky, and they don’t do a great job staying on. They are also separate individual covers, so much easier to lose track of.

Because of losing the 7-iron cover and the experience so far, I’m going back with old faithful (Pic #2). These are made by Proactive Sports and are called Face Saver P.L.U.S, and I originally bought them in 2005. They’re made of rubber and are extremely durable, and they are made with a hosel-lock system and lanyards that can connect 2 or 3 of the covers together.

They stay on the clubs really well, and they are very tough to lose. They’ve held up extremely well over 16 yrs, and just put in an order yesterday for a new set to be delivered by Saturday. Definitely recommend these very highly:

1)

25A59F7D-6088-4F4E-B304-CC563C498284.jpeg

2)

1BC1CA51-9B18-4B15-A807-601078014EBB.jpeg

Edited by BallerNate

WITB on WRX

13 minutes ago, Gsea said:

So ur putting a rubber on your irons:) No glove no love

season 2 dancing GIF by NETFLIX

WITB on WRX

New Iron covers came early...thanks Amazon!

The set didn’t come with GW or LW covers, so used 2 of my old covers and sanded off the numbers/letters.

Going to try a new system this season:

-Always use covers when bag is in the trunk or travelling

-Use the covers during push cart or power cart rounds

-Take covers off when carrying/walking (which I’m hoping will be most rounds this season)

55CF4643-858A-4D5D-8EA0-9E856FA26EFF.jpeg

WITB on WRX