2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bradley Hughes Lessons

LowAndLeft32

Nothing personal, but obvious his teaching is solid given his tour experience, the number of tour players seeking his insight and training, and just by viewing his Instagram/Twitter pages, YouTube channel, or his website, reveals how thoroughly sound the instruction is for a player's bag.    I view his work often, good stuff. 

Bryden Macpherson just won Moonah Links PGA Classic and had this to say:

Frustrated by his putting and in a place where he was “scared to hit it”, Hughes has given Macpherson the basic framework that has taken him back to his days as a freewheeling teenager.

“It’s very simple what we work on. It’s all about post-impact and ground connection, that’s all it is. The control that gives you is incredible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atlas415 said:

I'm a fairly new golfer...about one year. I enjoy deep research and have looked at a lot of swing programs out there...Shawn Clements, Saguto, Monte, MDLT,Brian Sparks, etc.

I bought the six drill package with video review and working it for the past month. Getting ready to start drill 3. 

Things are going VERY well. I will say that even though I watched all of BH's videos on YT before I bought his drills that I still watch them again many times. Many times I would harvest a new nugget of understanding or context that I had not appreciated the first few times I watched it. Especially once I began the drills. There are nuances in the YT videos that are very difficult to recognize how important they are until you begin working his drills. THEN the light bulbs start coming on and I see the importance of something that appeared insignificant the first few times I saw it.

My take on a common misunderstanding (though I could be wrong...but nonetheless it is how I see things so far) is that the drills are to build a proper but complete swing as he sees it. I would not have understood the value of his drills and his approach had I tried to pick and choose separate portions and apply them to my own swings as fixes as many YT videos do. It would not have worked. Like putting a Chevy fuel pump on a Ford car. I think his parts of the swing go together.

I think the individual YT vids are beneficial to give a deeper understanding or context as they relate to the rest of the swing he teaches. So if you try to use only one portion on a swing that is not set up the same way you will greatly lessen the odds that it will provide a band aid benefit. But if you add it to the other parts correctly, it gives a great benefit.

I have show a rapid improvement since beginning his drills. I continue to have strangers at my home club comment on my swing. None of them can believe I have been playing less than a year. Smooth swing, chunks are gone, great consistency and very respectable distances for a beginner (150 yard PW, straight or even a draw on command).

It is also very easy on my bad back (retired paratrooper with multiple surgeries). It is a low stress swing and I think that helps with consistency a lot.

Again I would stress that many things he teaches may not appear to work for you if you are looking for a quick fix for a single fault of yours and try to take just one aspect of his swing and disregard the rest. You'll be "out of balance". Especially, for example, the first release with the hands then the second release with the body. Did not make any sense to me until I was well into drill two and rewatching his YT videos again when the light clicked on, now it makes total sense to my understanding and feel of the swing.

I'd highly recommend it, but only of you are open to learning all of it and how the parts go together like he says.

And no, I am not a great golfer...yet. But I am better than most of my friends that have been playing for a decade or more and are the typical amateur who is constantly chasing band aid tweaks to address this or that swing fault, yet their scores are no better than 10 or 20 years ago. Now that I am into it, I see it as easily believable that he took a guy from the 110s to mid 70s in less than 18 months. Actually that seems long to me at the weekly rate I am improving.

And I'll again self admit that I am a beginner, but one that spends hours every day studying and reading golf. Of course I could be wrong and be stuck where I am for 20 years, but I honestly don't see it. The results with distance, control and consistency (and ease) are real for me, but you have to follow the program like he asks.

Good luck!

Let me clarify something I said so that it is not misunderstood.

The other names I mentioned all appealed to me, and still do. I bought 2 or 3 videos courses from Monte, 1 from Shawn, 1 from Tom Saguto, MDLT's book and DVD, and Brian Sparks Easiest Swing book. They were all well done and a good value and may have worked just as well for me had a been dedicated to them. But I felt like I ought to pick one and commit to that one, and not try to build a Frankenstein swing like so many of my friends had. Brad's theories made the most sense to my admittedly amateur understanding, but I had to start somewhere and settle on one, and that is where I went.

Actually, it was Clay Ballard from Top Speed Golf that emailed me about a question about his system when I first started and he strongly urged me to pick one and only one and see it through. If I still can't get it then try another, even if it wasn't his.

So apologies to the instructors mentioned here if I sounded dismissive or critical. It was not my intent.

• Like 4

I got 3 lessons the past 2 years. 2 from head pros and one from Bradley last year. To implement what he taught me, I couldn't do it with soft spikes. He mentioned ground pressures and that my sequence was off. I put some hybrid metal spikes in and it made a difference immediately. The two head pros made backswing adjustments which didn't do one thing for my ballstriking, but the sequencing made me better for sure. Bradley's favorite part was my backswing because I had a big arc and high hands. The other dudes wanted me to 'tighten' things up. Whatever that means. Plus I know Brad can probably kick my butt on the course. He can still put up a 64 with no problem. No method teaching, just a drill to slow the hips down.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 5:32 AM, Atlas415 said:

I'm a fairly new golfer...about one year. I enjoy deep research and have looked at a lot of swing programs out there...Shawn Clements, Saguto, Monte, MDLT,Brian Sparks, etc.

I bought the six drill package with video review and working it for the past month. Getting ready to start drill 3. 

Things are going VERY well. I will say that even though I watched all of BH's videos on YT before I bought his drills that I still watch them again many times. Many times I would harvest a new nugget of understanding or context that I had not appreciated the first few times I watched it. Especially once I began the drills. There are nuances in the YT videos that are very difficult to recognize how important they are until you begin working his drills. THEN the light bulbs start coming on and I see the importance of something that appeared insignificant the first few times I saw it.

My take on a common misunderstanding (though I could be wrong...but nonetheless it is how I see things so far) is that the drills are to build a proper but complete swing as he sees it. I would not have understood the value of his drills and his approach had I tried to pick and choose separate portions and apply them to my own swings as fixes as many YT videos do. It would not have worked. Like putting a Chevy fuel pump on a Ford car. I think his parts of the swing go together.

I think the individual YT vids are beneficial to give a deeper understanding or context as they relate to the rest of the swing he teaches. So if you try to use only one portion on a swing that is not set up the same way you will greatly lessen the odds that it will provide a band aid benefit. But if you add it to the other parts correctly, it gives a great benefit.

I have show a rapid improvement since beginning his drills. I continue to have strangers at my home club comment on my swing. None of them can believe I have been playing less than a year. Smooth swing, chunks are gone, great consistency and very respectable distances for a beginner (150 yard PW, straight or even a draw on command).

It is also very easy on my bad back (retired paratrooper with multiple surgeries). It is a low stress swing and I think that helps with consistency a lot.

Again I would stress that many things he teaches may not appear to work for you if you are looking for a quick fix for a single fault of yours and try to take just one aspect of his swing and disregard the rest. You'll be "out of balance". Especially, for example, the first release with the hands then the second release with the body. Did not make any sense to me until I was well into drill two and rewatching his YT videos again when the light clicked on, now it makes total sense to my understanding and feel of the swing.

I'd highly recommend it, but only of you are open to learning all of it and how the parts go together like he says.

And no, I am not a great golfer...yet. But I am better than most of my friends that have been playing for a decade or more and are the typical amateur who is constantly chasing band aid tweaks to address this or that swing fault, yet their scores are no better than 10 or 20 years ago. Now that I am into it, I see it as easily believable that he took a guy from the 110s to mid 70s in less than 18 months. Actually that seems long to me at the weekly rate I am improving.

And I'll again self admit that I am a beginner, but one that spends hours every day studying and reading golf. Of course I could be wrong and be stuck where I am for 20 years, but I honestly don't see it. The results with distance, control and consistency (and ease) are real for me, but you have to follow the program like he asks.

Good luck!

Are you still working with Brad and his method? It would be great to hear an update if so. Thanks

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 4:09 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Are you still working with Brad and his method? It would be great to hear an update if so. Thanks

Yes, I am still going with it. I have been working on irons 90% of the time to get a basic repeating swing, but I have it now. I have not had my swing speed measured, but I am hitting my Cobra radspeed 7 iron 180-185. No more chunking or fat shots, no more slices.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

What’s the story on Inb4? I’m familiar with the supersloting but not on the duels I guess. Thx 

here you go - it's in ze cooler:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1227822-bradley-hughes-right-arm-and-pivot/

there's a lot of good information in that thread and is very funny at times.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2021 at 6:32 AM, Atlas415 said:

Good luck!

Are to still using his instruction? Can I ask you a few questions?

• 11 months later...

Got to come on here as a person who has been seeking aha moments - the Bradley Hughes "out is down" is absolute genius.  

I've played golf for over 35 years and im a 47 year old 11 handicapper who had relied on the motor skills I developed as a kid to get clubhead to ball.  My faults have always been a 2 way miss, early extension and fat shots..... so for me its probably being too steep and a flipper.  When my timing is on I'm fine but when off its awful.

The "out is down" feeling for me is that the hands as you see them look like you are going out right towards the ball instead of below the ball and in your mind you think the club is going to miss the ball........  it doesn't.

Barely hit a fat shot in the nets with clubhead speed consistently above 95 mph, it feels like the speed available is effortless.  Gonna subscribe to his site for videos as i'm genuinely excited by what I just experienced.  

• Like 1

I started working with Brad last fall (in person). He is a sensational teacher. I've taken lessons from a handful of guys who are on the most recent Golf Digest top 50 instructor list and I learned more from Brad in the first 30 minutes I spent with him than I did in all of those other lessons combined. Best of all, he provided me with not only a blueprint to the issues that needed to be addressed with my swing but also a comprehensive practice plan (home and range drill work) as well as strategies for effectively taking what we're working on to the golf course. And that work has paid off. I went from playing from a stuck, underneath, inside-out position/path to being far more neutral through the bag at impact. As a result, my start lines are so much tighter and my ball striking has never been more consistent.

Anyway, I understand that there are a lot of great teachers out there and a big part of having success is clicking with the instructor in terms of the way they communicate. And I'll also add that I had long watched Brad's videos and his thoughts on the best way to strike a golf ball made sense to me. But working with him has been a phenomenal experience and I could not recommend him more highly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

I started working with Brad last fall (in person). He is a sensational teacher. I've taken lessons from a handful of guys who are on the most recent Golf Digest top 50 instructor list and I learned more from Brad in the first 30 minutes I spent with him than I did in all of those other lessons combined. Best of all, he provided me with not only a blueprint to the issues that needed to be addressed with my swing but also a comprehensive practice plan (home and range drill work) as well as strategies for effectively taking what we're working on to the golf course. And that work has paid off. I went from playing from a stuck, underneath, inside-out position/path to being far more neutral through the bag at impact. As a result, my start lines are so much tighter and my ball striking has never been more consistent.

Anyway, I understand that there are a lot of great teachers out there and a big part of having success is clicking with the instructor in terms of the way they communicate. And I'll also add that I had long watched Brad's videos and his thoughts on the best way to strike a golf ball made sense to me. But working with him has been a phenomenal experience and I could not recommend him more highly.

The hands "out" in downswing is so counterintuitive and surprise surprise there aren't many instructors who I've seen teach it.  Dan Whittaker has a video on it and Russel Heritage touches on it but not directly.  "Hands in front of body" for me is the buzz phrase for not getting arms trapped behind you - so when an instructor talks about that then it can get lost in translation.   The most natural movement that it replicates for me is imagining you have an axe an you are cutting diagonally into its base.  I will need to put a fair few reps in to drill one - where the backswing starts from the 4:30 position.

Question - does this methodology work well for short game shots and using the clock face method for wedges (various distances) 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

The hands "out" in downswing is so counterintuitive and surprise surprise there aren't many instructors who I've seen teach it.

I suppose that depends on your definition of "many," eh?

I think it's becoming more common to talk about it (while at the same time you have a group who love a ton of trail arm flexion at impact), but Jack Nicklaus was trying to "release it" as early as he could, Mike Bender has been talking about moving the club the farthest and the fastest and the earliest with the arms since the early 90s (if not earlier), etc.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I suppose that depends on your definition of "many," eh?

I think it's becoming more common to talk about it (while at the same time you have a group who love a ton of trail arm flexion at impact), but Jack Nicklaus was trying to "release it" as early as he could, Mike Bender has been talking about moving the club the farthest and the fastest and the earliest with the arms since the early 90s (if not earlier), etc.

again - not many at all. How many of these "release early" instructors specify that the hands actually travel outwards towards the ball? & how many of them propose keeping the left arm close and connected.  @MonteScheinblum does a good job on his video of demonstrating why.

Some people may do this naturally but my guess is that anyone who has ever shanked would avoid throwing the hands out like the plague.

47 minutes ago, hafnia said:

again - not many at all. How many of these "release early" instructors specify that the hands actually travel outwards towards the ball?

I know Wayne De Francesco on youtube has been talking about the hands moving out towards the ball first for at least 10 years. I've heard plenty of other teachers talk about the hands moving out slightly first but that has to be coupled with the correct movement of the club head to prevent the head getting outside the ball early. (aka Monte's cast A for example)

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

I will need to put a fair few reps in to drill one - where the backswing starts from the 4:30 position.

The impact bag work that he teaches is imperative. I do this at home every morning and evening for 15-20 minutes. Do not short cut this part of the process, especially the left arm only, which can be challenging for most righties. It's absolutely key in terms of learning how the forearms work. It's also amazing how quickly you'll build forearm strength and see more force develop in your impact/release.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Divot License said:

I know Wayne De Francesco on youtube has been talking about the hands moving out towards the ball first for at least 10 years. I've heard plenty of other teachers talk about the hands moving out slightly first but that has to be coupled with the correct movement of the club head to prevent the head getting outside the ball early. (aka Monte's cast A for example)

it could be me, I tend to need things spoon fed to me! 

3 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

The impact bag work that he teaches is imperative. I do this at home every morning and evening for 15-20 minutes. Do not short cut this part of the process, especially the left arm only, which can be challenging for most righties. It's absolutely key in terms of learning how the forearms work. It's also amazing how quickly you'll build forearm strength and see more force develop in your impact/release.

yes. Just seen the drill 1.  Went to the simulator tonight and whatever was working yesterday - wasn't today! 

I felt enough to persevere at it.  Need to make my own impact bag! 

yeah the thing about golf is how quick a feel can disappear. I'm pretty sure I stumbled on this way of hitting the ball once.... I didn't want to go home cos I knew I'd found something and was scared of the feel going...... which it did! 

6 hours ago, hafnia said:

again - not many at all. How many of these "release early" instructors specify that the hands actually travel outwards towards the ball? & how many of them propose keeping the left arm close and connected.  @MonteScheinblum does a good job on his video of demonstrating why.

Here's the thing when talking about anything like this: I have no idea what your experiences are, and you don't know what I've seen or heard or known.

Maybe you've seen almost no teachers talking about a certain thing and I've seen a hundred talking about it. Or vice versa.

All I can say is that if there's something in golf, and it's not something we can only newly measure*, it's probably been talked about by hundreds if not thousands of people. The increase in social media and even YouTube just makes it seem more common these days.

* Even with things we can only now measure, people have likely been talking about it for awhile now.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Here's the thing when talking about anything like this: I have no idea what your experiences are, and you don't know what I've seen or heard or known.

Maybe you've seen almost no teachers talking about a certain thing and I've seen a hundred talking about it. Or vice versa.

All I can say is that if there's something in golf, and it's not something we can only newly measure*, it's probably been talked about by hundreds if not thousands of people. The increase in social media and even YouTube just makes it seem more common these days.

* Even with things we can only now measure, people have likely been talking about it for awhile now.

There's a million and one ways to interpret words when it comes to instruction.  Have I seen teachers talk about it - now I know what it is they meant? yeah....  even then some don't do a great job in explaining what it is I know they are meaning to say.  

The very best instruction comes from those who know how to nail the critical points across to the widest audience IMO.  How many times have you had a "now I know what x was talking about".  

Edited by hafnia

19 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

This is Bradley with Chris Como - further to my point above its like taking the faldo/leadbetter preset drill but making it specific for the downswing and filling in a lot of gaps.  I tend to get really active from the top and his assertion that you can soften the early part of downswing to the point where acceleration is required.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

What does this even mean? 

maybe my post was an example of what I was trying to convey....

You can have all the knowledge in the world about the golf swing - a plus handicap player isn't going to be trawling youtube videos looking for an aha moment.  The average club golfer is going to watch George Gankas with a permanent finger on the pause and rewind button trying to unravel what he is telling them.  The best instruction nails the critical points for the intended audience.

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

The average club golfer is going to watch George Gankas with a permanent finger on the pause and rewind button trying to unravel what he is telling them.  The best instruction nails the critical points for the intended audience.

That’s the opposite of across the widest audience. 

Maybe good instructors are effective communicators and try not draw too many lines in the sand? Gankas may be “nailing” the critical points for his intended audience. Tossing stuff up on YT is what it is and will resonate with some and not with others and not necessarily a discriminator about who is or isn’t a good instructor. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

That’s the opposite of across the widest audience. 

Maybe good instructors are effective communicators and try not draw too many lines in the sand? Gankas may be “nailing” the critical points for his intended audience. Tossing stuff up on YT is what it is and will resonate with some and not with others and not necessarily a discriminator about who is or isn’t a good instructor. 

Agree. The good coaches in any sport are the ones that can convey the message to the person(s) they are taking to at the moment. You may need to hear something said in a completely different way than I do, even though the person is conveying the same message.

A cue for you may not work for me and vice versa