Shaft weight and feel

Cakalacman

So I found a really nice set of MP32's from a guy that had been played 4x and bought them. They came with the S300 shafts. Since August I have been playing KBS Tour V 110's. Honestly I played like crap with them and it seemed to me the club felt like it weighed so much more and was very harsh. I probably would have been ok in that shaft when I was 19. However I am 42 now and really don't care about going after the golf ball like a tour pro. I am a 13 handicap and shot 94 with these damn things yesterday. What am I feeling here? Is it the weight and stiffness of the shaft I am unhappy with here. I know these clubs play better than what I felt yesterday. 

The KBS v110 shafts in stiff are 110g while the DG S300 is a 130g shaft.  That will make then seem heavier.

Also need to check the swingweight to compare with what you have been playing.  A higher SW by comparison will cause the head to feel heavier.

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Got a lot going on there that is for sure different and potentially different.

As BB said, the weight is significant

Unknow other specific spec differences (length, SW, etc)

The bend profile between those two is significantly different as well

Combine that with contact location and head feel that could be adding to it....

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Lighter weight 110g shafts have you swinging faster and probably have a lighter swing weight feel.  Heavier DGS300 - 130g shafts will slow your tempo, heavier swing weight, may even slow your swing speed down because they feel heavy.  Sounds like you're feeling heavier swing weight, heavier shaft weight.  Then there's MP32 cut-muscle heads and their weight that may be playing a part in poor ball striking. 

As @Golfrnut says, you have very different profile shafts. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

7 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Lighter weight 110g shafts have you swinging faster and probably have a lighter swing weight feel.  Heavier DGS300 - 130g shafts will slow your tempo, heavier swing weight, may even slow your swing speed down because they feel heavy.  Sounds like you're feeling heavier swing weight, heavier shaft weight.  Then there's MP32 cut-muscle heads and their weight that may be playing a part in poor ball striking. 

As @Golfrnut says, you have very different profile shafts. 

Then that explains it then. Now the decision is to either change the shaft in these or sell them. I don't really want to dump $300 in new shafts. I bought them to try out anyway and I won't have any trouble selling them and going to be fit again for new sticks with updated shafts etc. They are in immaculate shape. 

5 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

Then that explains it then. Now the decision is to either change the shaft in these or sell them. I don't really want to dump $300 in new shafts. I bought them to try out anyway and I won't have any trouble selling them and going to be fit again for new sticks with updated shafts etc. They are in immaculate shape. 

You should be able to get new shafts under $45 ea + install.  All depends on how much you like the MP32 heads.  Other option is having KBS v110's installed in Mizuno MP32 heads. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

10 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

The Mp-32's are still in demand.  In that condition with the original shafts, I'm sure you could sell them quite easily on one of the various online selling sites

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cakalacman said:

I was hitting Mavrik Pro before and it looks as if the weight is a D3. The 32's are D2 it looks like. Correct me if I'm wrong, that is what I found when I looked. 

Maverik Pro D3 sw/ with KBS Tour V 110 shafts

Mizuno MP32's D2 sw/ with S300 shafts. 

The other thing to consider is if you looked up the swing weight on the manufacturer's website, or if the guy you bought them from told you they were ordered D2. I ordered 718 AP2's with DG S300 shafts at a swing weight of D6 and +1 inch in length. Heavy irons to say the least, but that's what I still like at 49yo. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:21 PM, Cakalacman said:

So I found a really nice set of MP32's from a guy that had been played 4x and bought them. They came with the S300 shafts. Since August I have been playing KBS Tour V 110's. Honestly I played like crap with them and it seemed to me the club felt like it weighed so much more and was very harsh. I probably would have been ok in that shaft when I was 19. However I am 42 now and really don't care about going after the golf ball like a tour pro. I am a 13 handicap and shot 94 with these damn things yesterday. What am I feeling here? Is it the weight and stiffness of the shaft I am unhappy with here. I know these clubs play better than what I felt yesterday. 

If you want to sell them, I would be interested.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:38 PM, petep1980 said:

The S300 is a heavy shaft. It will get tiring to hit. I am on a kick Im convinced I need heavier shafts, but Im also now 40, and wonder if Ill just regret it. 

Well I played the S300 Sunday and felt like I was swinging a telephone poll. Just bought a set of ZX7 with 114g Nippon and are waaaaaaay more fun to swing and I'm 42. I would just go hit a bucket of balls with a 130g shaft then put a 90-110g in your hands the next day and hit a bucket. It won't take long to figure out. Lol. At least that was MY experience. You may be correct for you and like it. I'll say this tonight the fitter put a S300 105g vs the similar shaft Sunday that was 130g in my hand and it was a total big diff feel with the same S flex. 

Swing weight is huge factor in this.  Do you find yourself hitting it all over the face?  I know that for myself, if the club is the wrong swing weight, I tend to mis hit more often especially if it's too light. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I have a similar question that I’m trying to work through.  I’ve always been told I’m a regular flex guy.  But I hit my Vokey SM7 56-deg wedge (which came with a DG S200 shaft) FAR better than any other club in my bag.   I feel it better throughout the swing, and the results are dramatically better.  I’m a mediocre golfer, but I’m a legend amongst my buddies from 90 yards and closer.   The shafts on my irons (P770s) are DG 105 R300’s, so they’re about 25g lighter than the S200 shaft.  My fitter and I added weight to the heads of my irons to bring them up to about D4-D6.  The Vokey 56 is supposedly a D5 or D6 too, but a lot of that weight is coming from the heavier shaft (as opposed to extra weight in the head like with my irons).   And the Vokey feels SO much better to swing - even with the stiffer shaft  So, finally the question:   Is there a fundamental difference in feel, flex, bend point, performance, etc. from adding weight through a heavier shaft versus adding extra weight in the head?   Thanks. 

Brenkj - Swing weight went from roughly C8/9 to D2, but that didn’t feel like much to me.  I tried lead tape on the old heads and it didn’t help me much.  Shaft weight change helped me feel the whole club if that makes any sense and tempo and timing improved.  My swing speed is right on the line between flexes, but did go up one flex as dispersion seemed better.  Wedges are 10 or 15g heavier than irons now.  I’ve always heard go lighter, makes me think about going shorter on driver to increase length.  Both flex points are low.  Shafts - 2015 or 2016 Ping CFS Graphite to KBS Tour 90.  The club guy put a KBS in a 7 iron and I played it 3 rounds and hit a bunch on the range over the month.  Just took me a while to believe it.