2 Driver Setup

I'm toying with this idea this season... I have a 12 degree driver head on order, and we will see if i can keep it on the planet spin wise... I'm long enough that my 3 wood is pretty much only used on the tee. If I'm hitting the ball well, I won't have 250+ into a par 5, and if I'm hitting it poorly, I'm not going to hit a green from 250 with my 3 wood... It's currently the most useless club in my bag.

My new setup is going to be 9.5 driver with a 45+ shaft (probably end up back in my Aldila Silver shaft that plays 46 inches) and a 12 degree with a 44ish shaft... The goal will be a club that: Hits the ground and stops for places I run out of fairway, Launches high to possibly cut a few corners at my home course, and ideally goes a little straighter than my current driver... 

if it goes well, I'll hit it around 5 times per round... if it goes poorly, it will end up in the basement with all the other misbehaved toys.

• Like 4

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Myherobobhope said:

I'm toying with this idea this season... I have a 12 degree driver head on order, and we will see if i can keep it on the planet spin wise... I'm long enough that my 3 wood is pretty much only used on the tee. If I'm hitting the ball well, I won't have 250+ into a par 5, and if I'm hitting it poorly, I'm not going to hit a green from 250 with my 3 wood... It's currently the most useless club in my bag.

My new setup is going to be 9.5 driver with a 45+ shaft (probably end up back in my Aldila Silver shaft that plays 46 inches) and a 12 degree with a 44ish shaft... The goal will be a club that: Hits the ground and stops for places I run out of fairway, Launches high to possibly cut a few corners at my home course, and ideally goes a little straighter than my current driver... 

if it goes well, I'll hit it around 5 times per round... if it goes poorly, it will end up in the basement with all the other misbehaved toys.

I like the more aggressive 2 driver concept over traditional 3W if 3W doesn't come into play much.  44" 460cc head vs 43+" 180cc head... more forgiving, you get a little more out of it, yet it feels in control for a driver.  Seems the options are:

- Normal driver + shorter higher loft higher spinning safe driver

- Fade driver + draw driver (I'm experimenting to find a draw driver setup for this)

- Longer bomber driver + normal or safer driver

• Like 2

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I’m going this route but maybe in a slightly different way. I’m thinking maybe instead of 2 drivers going with low spin 13* 3w. That way just in case I needed to hit something off the deck from 250+ I could. Going with a 46” (or long) driver and either a shorter driver or really low lofted 3w is the way to go in my opinion. Tight par 4 hit the short driver\13* 3w. Plenty of room F it hit the big boy!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jasonTeI3 said:

I’m going this route but maybe in a slightly different way. I’m thinking maybe instead of 2 drivers going with low spin 13* 3w. That way just in case I needed to hit something off the deck from 250+ I could. Going with a 46” (or long) driver and either a shorter driver or really low lofted 3w is the way to go in my opinion. Tight par 4 hit the short driver\13* 3w. Plenty of room F it hit the big boy!

I currently have a low launch and spin adams speedline... it’s fine, but I don’t love it off the tee.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

How’s about playing a 3w+ at 12*? 

I hit that more accurately and almost as far as driver (unless I get into one). 

You can get a 14* Callaway head and install a lefty adapter. +2 Draw is actually -2 open. 

If im 1* down in my strike, I should launch that at 11*. Perfection. 

On 3/8/2021 at 12:01 AM, BustedBogeyMachine said:

How’s about playing a 3w+ at 12*? 

I hit that more accurately and almost as far as driver (unless I get into one). 

You can get a 14* Callaway head and install a lefty adapter. +2 Draw is actually -2 open. 

If im 1* down in my strike, I should launch that at 11*. Perfection. 

I’d love a 2 wood, but if I have to choose between a high launching driver and a low launching 3 wood, I’m going driver...

then again, I already have the 3w... it’s fine in my bag just doesn’t do what I want... 

it’s a niche idea and I’m not sure it will work, but should be fun to try.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

Club is assembled and should get a chance to shine tomorrow... we shall see!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

New driver is finally put together and I hit it on one of my nemesis holes today... it should be perfect.

Needs some lead tape to get the swingweight up, but it should be hitting high draws that stop soon.

Whether or not it's USEFUL on the course vs a 3 wood is still up in the air... I will say, I was happy with where both of my shots went in my demo of it, and neither was hit well... 

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Tried this out with a 12* SLDR mini driver
Couldn't hit it off the deck very well.  Swapped it out for a 13 degree 3 wood so I have two 3 woods (13 & 16.5 HL).  There's a couple of par 5s on my home course that I have a shot of reaching in 2 with this setup so long as I hit a decent drive. 

• Like 1

So I pieced together a TS2 with an old Diamana D+72 for cheap to see if it could be my #2 driver (and strong 3W replacement) for draw shots & control.  Range results are pretty positive.  I'm actually thinking of keeping it 45" - same as my #1 driver - an old Adams that hits fades and still seems longer than my newer TS2.  Instead of cutting it short as a "control" club I may just choke up an inch or so, reduce the grip taper, and maybe even add weight to the head to get it to feel right at the choked up position. 

I've cut down my driver before from 45 to 44 and 43.5, but felt like I was missing out on the extra 2 yards when swinging well 🙂.  I feel like having the full length available will be comforting when I can go ahead and hit the longest draw possible on holes without much trouble.

Edited by joostin
  • Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I haven’t gotten enough testing done, but I think my plan will work for me... hoping to get some actual rounds in this week and I’ll see if it gets used.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Hypothetical question for the masses ....

If you were to play a 9.0° Driver at 46"

And a second Driver at 10.5°...

At what length would you play the 10.5° Driver? 

The 46" 9.0° Driver I get carry of 300.

The 10.5° Driver I am attempting to get about 270 carry. 

44 1/2" ?

44 1/4" ?

44" ?

Less ?

Thanks, WRX! 

20 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

44 1/2" ?

44 1/4" ?

44" ?

Less ?

Thanks, WRX! 

I’d probably start at 44 and see how it goes... 

my 12 degree is all carry, so it’s simply a different tool for me off the tee.

it’s an odd setup for sure, but I think it has some value for me... my swing speed hasn’t recovered from my back injury... but I’m hopeful I’ll be carrying this 270 by the middle of the season.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I'm not going to call this idea a failure, but I will call my implementation a failure... The Adams Superlite head is a bad fit for my swing and even covered in lead tape plays light with a shorter shaft... 

My regular driver came apart on 2 today, and I had to finish the course with the 12 degree experiment... it was fine, but I don't think it's much better than a 3 wood for distance, and the launch and spin dynamics just don't work for me.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

3 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

I'm not going to call this idea a failure, but I will call my implementation a failure... The Adams Superlite head is a bad fit for my swing and even covered in lead tape plays light with a shorter shaft... 

My regular driver came apart on 2 today, and I had to finish the course with the 12 degree experiment... it was fine, but I don't think it's much better than a 3 wood for distance, and the launch and spin dynamics just don't work for me.

A good experiment nonetheless!

I just cut potential Driver 2 to 44.5", about 3/4" shorter than Driver 1... excited to try this "draw/control driver" 🤞.  Went a little shorter for strike consistency, I hope, yet still "normal" driver length and loft (9.5°).  A nice side effect is that without headcovers on, the 2 drivers at different lengths don't bang on either face lol.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, EaglesGolf99 said:

44 1/2" ?

44 1/4" ?

44" ?

Less ?

Thanks, WRX! 

Personally I like leaving length, then choking up.  Midsize grips still feel ok, not too narrow, when choking about an inch for me.  So I'll say 45".  You can always cut shorter.  It beats extending if you felt it was too short or thought you were missing out on length IMO.

Did something back in the day when I played the minis some. And it was crazy then. On certain courses I carried a persimmon driver in addition to my regular metal driver. With the persimmon at the time I could hit a little high controlled draw around 220 or so. If playing on plush fairways I could hit it off the deck a low screamer since it was 11*. This set up was only for certain courses and certain holes. I will admit it sounds crazy but I have always thought outside the box

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

48 minutes ago, joostin said:

Personally I like leaving length, then choking up.  Midsize grips still feel ok, not too narrow, when choking about an inch for me.  So I'll say 45".  You can always cut shorter.  It beats extending if you felt it was too short or thought you were missing out on length IMO.

@joostin “+1” ie I share your view...i think this (choking down)=one of the benefits of “+4” grips with Less taper!  

• Like 1

@Myherobobhope maybe try a heavier shaft? Not sure what you currently have in the Adams, but I know that when I was experimenting with an old 12 degree TM R540 head, a heavier shaft helped to make it feel more balanced. For reference I used a 75g-ish shaft trimmed to play at 43.5” with a little bit of tape to get it to swingweight at D2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, plt said:

@Myherobobhope maybe try a heavier shaft? Not sure what you currently have in the Adams, but I know that when I was experimenting with an old 12 degree TM R540 head, a heavier shaft helped to make it feel more balanced. For reference I used a 75g-ish shaft trimmed to play at 43.5” with a little bit of tape to get it to swingweight at D2.

It’s got a 70 gram shaft in it... I have a steel three wood shaft in the house somewhere, though!

Edited by Myherobobhope
  • Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 1 month later...

I might have to give this monster another try... my buddy gave me his mavrik 13.5 3+ because it launches so low... I’m now waiting on the replacement shaft. 

ive just been gaming 13 clubs and still struggling on the hole this was built for.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I wouldn’t say I’m going all in with this strategy this year, but I am going to give it a very extended test run.  I hope @Myherobobhope sticks with it because he’s already done the toughest part, namely understanding how beneficial it CAN be, if implemented correctly, of course!

My setup is going to be as such: 

D1 - 46”+ NV 65x Epic Max LS 9* with green dot adapter T -2* playing approx. 7.5*.  I will probably need to remove the sliding weight completely.  This club should go far and draw.

D2 - 44.5” Voodoo xVS7 Epic Flash 10.5* with adapter set at +2, so playing 12* or so.  This club should carry about 30 yards shorter and fade.  

The next club in the bag will be a 4w.  I’m excited to be thinking about hitting more drivers!

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

6 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

I wouldn’t say I’m going all in with this strategy this year, but I’m going to give it a very extended test run.  I hope @Myherobobhope sticks with it because he’s already done the toughest part, understanding how beneficial it CAN be, if implemented correctly, of course!

My setup is going to be as such: 

D1 - 46”+ NV 65x Epic Max LS 9* with green dot adapter playing approx. 7.5*.  I will probably need to remove the sliding weight completely.  This club should go far and draw.

D2 - 44.5” Voodoo xVS7 Epic Flash 10.5* with adapter set at +2, so playing 12* or so.  This club should carry about 30 yards shorter and fade.  

The next club in the bag will be a 4w.  I’m excited to be thinking about hitting more drivers!

Very cool! I think the biggest issue I’m facing is the secondary driver was built on the cheap... a modern head with the right shorter shaft would definitely be interesting to try.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 4/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, plt said:

@Myherobobhope My 2 cents... i have a 3-wood length stock SLDR Speeder77 shaft in a TM Original One 13.5* (lofted up 2*) & find it's fabulous as a fairway finder.

Link (hireko currently seeling this stock shaft for ~$15!!) : https://www.hirekogolf.com/taylormade-fujikura-speeder-77-fairway-shaft-senior-flex.html

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Myherobobhope My 2 cents... i have a 3-wood length stock SLDR Speeder77 shaft in a TM Original One 13.5* (lofted up 2*) & find it's fabulous as a fairway finder.

Link (hireko currently seeling this stock shaft for ~$15!!) : https://www.hirekogolf.com/taylormade-fujikura-speeder-77-fairway-shaft-senior-flex.html

Honestly, I need a low spin head at 10-12 degrees... no idea where to find that!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

10 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Honestly, I need a low spin head at 10-12 degrees... no idea where to find that!

@Myherobobhope: For Low Spin... Can try either the Original One 11.5 (adjustable +/- 2*).... or the SLDR driver 12* or 10*?

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/Original-One-Mini-Driver/DW-JJI11.html?lang=default

The latter option SLDR (or similar eg R15) = probably cheap-as-chips i.e. can be bought 2nd hand off ebay for peanuts?

https://www.ebay.com/p/1527156719

Edited by JungleJimbo