G410 vs Sim Ti 3 Wood

drumdude96

Hello, my friends.  I did a Google search on the interwebs, but didn't find any direct comparisons between the G410 and Sim Ti 3 woods.  Idk if it's too much of an apples to oranges comparison or what, but has anybody tired both, and if so, what were your findings?  Thanks!

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I gamed a G410 LST 3w for a while and I liked it but never loved it. Replaced it with a SIM Ti a month ago and I much prefer the SIM. Part of the G410 issue was that I never really found the right shaft for it, but I also find the SIM Ti launches a lot easier off the deck and I like the visual profile better as well. Both good clubs but I really think the SIM Ti is the unicorn 3w I've been searching for for a while now.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

14 minutes ago, greenwavegolfer said:

I gamed a G410 LST 3w for a while and I liked it but never loved it. Replaced it with a SIM Ti a month ago and I much prefer the SIM. Part of the G410 issue was that I never really found the right shaft for it, but I also find the SIM Ti launches a lot easier off the deck and I like the visual profile better as well. Both good clubs but I really think the SIM Ti is the unicorn 3w I've been searching for for a while now.

Sim Ti easier off the deck? That's very intriguing. If the ball speed is as good as people say, that should be a killer 3 wood for sure. I joined my local CC today and I actually have a need for a normal 3 wood again after bagging a mini driver for a while. One of the par 5s plays 634 yards and another is pretty long too, though I'm not sure of the exact length. So, a 3 wood off the deck is going to be a shot I'll hit pretty frequently now.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

4 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

Hello, my friends.  I did a Google search on the interwebs, but didn't find any direct comparisons between the G410 and Sim Ti 3 woods.  Idk if it's too much of an apples to oranges comparison or what, but has anybody tired both, and if so, what were your findings?  Thanks!

Hello dude! I have had both so I can share my experiences. Just for context, I drive at about 108 and play off 7.

I am a low launch/spin player and actually prefer a 4 FW, very limited amount of options for a 4fw last season so I had an idea that I get the SIM TI 3 FW and crank it up to 16,5 or 17 but the face closed and I it just didn't sit well at the ball and everything went left. The very rounded face didn't sit well with my eye and the low spin killed the ball flight for me. Tried a few different shafts with it but just couldn't get it to work. Sold it.

I bought a mint G410 3fw from an end of season sale with a Tensei Orange 70 Stiff and I also have a KBS TD shaft for the head, I found this head sits way better behind the ball for me. I also like the shallower face for off the deck. For some reason I just launch the G410 way better, the head is also more forgiving and very hot + sounds good. G410 doesn't close or open too much when adjusted for loft. G425 might be more forgiving but I didn't like the shape of and I actually got better performance off the G410 in my fitting.

Peter Finch mad a video that features both of these heads, check it out.

Edited by Hedgehog

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

I got a pretty good deal on a SIM Ti 3 wood head from pro clubs, so we'll see how things go with it. I can always resell it if it doesn't work out and pick up a G410. Now if the postal service can actually get it to me in a timely manner...

Edit: ProClubs is shipping my Sim Ti to me via FedEx!  Yay!😍 LOL

Edited by drumdude96

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I've had both, and here are my thoughts. SIM Ti 3 wood is a monster off the tee. I really drove the ball well on tight holes or ones with trouble where hitting driver was not possible. But that's all the SIM was for me. The head is huge and I could not hit it from the turf to save my life. G410 isn't quite the mini-driver that the SIM Ti is, but it is so much more versatile for me. I have the confidence to hit it from either tee or turf, which in turn means I can go for more par 5s.

I actually have the G410 in 14.5° and 17.5°, and swap them out depending on the course I'm playing. I turn the 3 wood up to 15.5°, which closes the face and promotes a draw. The 17.5° is turned down to 16.5° and totally eliminates the left side for me. One of the courses I play requires a couple of right to left tee shots on a dogleg, so the 3 wood turned up really helps. And another I play has trouble on the left of the green on several par 5s, which means I put the 5 wood turned down in for the approach.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Dang, I'm starting to second-guess my decision to buy the Sim Ti.  I'm contemplating just going ahead and getting a G410 head too.  I tell ya, hoin' ain't easy these days.  Or maybe it's TOO easy.  LOL.

Edited by drumdude96

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Sim ti is hot.... low spin, bomber. Still pretty easy to launch though. 410 will be more shallow profile, higher spin, more forgiving. Easier to launch especially from not ideal lies.

I went with SIM ti, seemed more versatile, tee and deck, and I can put alot of spin on a 3 wood.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

Sim Ti easier off the deck? That's very intriguing. If the ball speed is as good as people say, that should be a killer 3 wood for sure. I joined my local CC today and I actually have a need for a normal 3 wood again after bagging a mini driver for a while. One of the par 5s plays 634 yards and another is pretty long too, though I'm not sure of the exact length. So, a 3 wood off the deck is going to be a shot I'll hit pretty frequently now.

Yeah, the V Steel sole is pretty great. Easy to get the ball in the air and keeps spin down which is important for me as well.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

5 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Sim ti is hot.... low spin, bomber. Still pretty easy to launch though. 410 will be more shallow profile, higher spin, more forgiving. Easier to launch especially from not ideal lies.

I went with SIM ti, seemed more versatile, tee and deck, and I can put alot of spin on a 3 wood.

Yeah this is very much the design intent behind these two clubs. PING has long used the "easy launching, shallow face" design approach which will not be capable of producing the freakish bombs that something like the SIM can off the tee, but will also not punish you as much and keep the spin in a tighter window, albeit a higher one. This is also why they tend to have slightly stronger lofts. If I wanted a 3w for just a tee club, it is SIM all day with the strong 5w as the fairway club. If I needed something that could do both or a generally just wanted a higher launching and spinning fairway wood, something like the PING would be preferable. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have both but have not played either one yet. it’s still winter here.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

On 3/23/2021 at 3:13 AM, Hedgehog said:

Hello dude! I have had both so I can share my experiences. Just for context, I drive at about 108 and play off 7.

I am a low launch/spin player and actually prefer a 4 FW, very limited amount of options for a 4fw last season so I had an idea that I get the SIM TI 3 FW and crank it up to 16,5 or 17 but the face closed and I it just didn't sit well at the ball and everything went left. The very rounded face didn't sit well with my eye and the low spin killed the ball flight for me. Tried a few different shafts with it but just couldn't get it to work. Sold it.

I bought a mint G410 3fw from an end of season sale with a Tensei Orange 70 Stiff and I also have a KBS TD shaft for the head, I found this head sits way better behind the ball for me. I also like the shallower face for off the deck. For some reason I just launch the G410 way better, the head is also more forgiving and very hot + sounds good. G410 doesn't close or open too much when adjusted for loft. G425 might be more forgiving but I didn't like the shape of and I actually got better performance off the G410 in my fitting.

Peter Finch mad a video that features both of these heads, check it out.

I concur with your findings regarding the Sim Ti. I could not keep from hooking the damn thing. It sets up SO closed, I couldn't stand looking down at it. Time to order a G410 LST. I should have known better in the first place. I haven't gotten along with ANYTHING TaylorMade has put out since the Tour Burner fairway woods.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I have both.  Love them both.  Both are different.  

I can’t find the right shaft for the 410 but played it most of last year.  Had no problem off the tee or off the deck.  Still not giving up, but need to find the right shaft.

Bought the SIM but avoided it because I was hitting the 410 pretty well all year and I generally avoid TM.  However, when I finally gave the SIM a fair shot it was great.  Surprisingly forgiving and just a rocket launcher.  I have a Diamana BF 7s in it and it is a weapon.  On the launch monitor it is considerably longer and more accurate compared to the 410 (again, never found the right shaft).

I swing 110 plus with the driver and the SIM with a stiff shaft is pretty easy to hit.  Not too much spin off the deck or tee.  Basically, I want to play the 410 but the data doesn’t support it.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, drumdude96 said:

Dang, I'm starting to second-guess my decision to buy the Sim Ti.  I'm contemplating just going ahead and getting a G410 head too.  I tell ya, hoin' ain't easy these days.  Or maybe it's TOO easy.  LOL.

Hit that sim before deciding.  It is about perfect for me.  Very long and easy to launch.  Sits great behind the ball for my eye.  I find it easy to hit off the tee and deck.

6 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Hit that sim before deciding.  It is about perfect for me.  Very long and easy to launch.  Sits great behind the ball for my eye.  I find it easy to hit off the tee and deck.

I did hit it. Nothing but hook after hook.  I don't know what it is about these newer TaylorMade woods, but they just totally suck for me.  I don't like the feel or the sound either, but I figured I could get used to it if it performed well.  I've got a G410 LST on the way.  I've had pretty good luck with pretty much every PING club I've ever tried. I wish I could put my finger on why the TM woods don't work for me.  It is very perplexing.  I've got a couple 2008 Burner tour launch 3 woods and I hit them really well, and I hit the older stuff like V-steels and R7's really well too.  It must have something to do with the multi-material construction and the weighting, but damned if I know for sure. I just know that I won't be buying more TM woods any time soon.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I've gone through a lot of fairway metals through the years.  I've tested the G410 as well.  Nothing beat out the SIM in terms of numbers off trackman and it sounds and feels great off the face as well.  It sits very neutral at address.  I have the Ventus Blue in mine and it's perfect off the tee.  Off the deck, it doesn't launch too high and the lower spin compliments my high spin swing.  G410 had good numbers as well off the tee, but it was difficult to get past the sound and feel.  It just launched and spun a hair too high for my liking off the deck, but it's still a very solid performer.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

23 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I've gone through a lot of fairway metals through the years.  I've tested the G410 as well.  Nothing beat out the SIM in terms of numbers off trackman and it sounds and feels great off the face as well.  It sits very neutral at address.  I have the Ventus Blue in mine and it's perfect off the tee.  Off the deck, it doesn't launch too high and the lower spin compliments my high spin swing.  G410 had good numbers as well off the tee, but it was difficult to get past the sound and feel.  It just launched and spun a hair too high for my liking off the deck, but it's still a very solid performer.   

I must be in the minority, but I prefer the sound and feel of all-metal drivers and woods.  I like the high-pitched "tink" as compared to the dull crack of a multi-material club head.  Different strokes for different folks, as they say.  I'm sure the Sim is a beast in the right hands, but it was terrible in mine.  Bring on those turbulators!

Vice Pro Plus Lime

11 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I must be in the minority, but I prefer the sound and feel of all-metal drivers and woods.  I like the high-pitched "tink" as compared to the dull crack of a multi-material club head.  Different strokes for different folks, as they say.  I'm sure the Sim is a beast in the right hands, but it was terrible in mine.  Bring on those turbulators!

I've always liked the sound and feel of composite drivers ever since the days of the OG Cally ERC drivers.  Almost feels and sounds like persimmon.  I used to mess around with my father's old persimmon drivers back in the day.  Mind you this was back in the late 80's.  I was going to mention turboluators as well.  Man, those things are fugly, but perhaps aerodynamic?  HAHA...... 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I came to the realization today that neither the Ping nor the Sim is the right 3 wood for me.  The best one I've ever hit is the old azz 904f that's currently in my bag.  It's not quite automatic from the deck, but it's pretty close.  The G410 lst ain't bad, but it's still not on the same level as that old Titleist.  So, maybe a newer Titleist with more ball speed is the ticket.  I was hitting that old 904f about 250 off the deck today with a hell of a cross breeze.  Me likes it very, very much.  I guess I'll look at the TS2 now.  Or, maybe I'll just call it good since I seem to have found the perfect 3 wood for me.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

On 3/31/2021 at 5:45 AM, drumdude96 said:

I concur with your findings regarding the Sim Ti. I could not keep from hooking the damn thing. It sets up SO closed, I couldn't stand looking down at it. Time to order a G410 LST. I should have known better in the first place. I haven't gotten along with ANYTHING TaylorMade has put out since the Tour Burner fairway woods.

I know the feeling, last time I have had a fully functional fairway wood that I can hit off the tee and off the deck was back in 2017 - 2018 gaming the M2 3HL 2017 version with a AD DI 6X at D3,5. Should have never sold it..

This spring starts with 3 fairways, hope on of them makes the cut. G410 15,5 flat KBS TD C3 tipped 1" @ 44" D3. Mavrik 4fw 16,5 MSI 130 70S 43,25", M4 3HL Tensei Orange 70S 43,25. And if non of these work, prolly going to get a SIM2 Max 3hl and slap a Hzrdus Green 70 6.0 in it..

Edited by Hedgehog

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x