2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2021 US Women's Open, June 3-6

18majors

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Swinging a 50 gram driver shaft as hard as you can has been a success (as it pertains to competing with the best at the highest level) but it has it's tradeoffs.

Is that Lydia's shaft, I've no ideas.

Jessica Korda mentioned in her virtual interview that roughs were roughs, no first cut or second.  Roughs are 4.25" according to the Online Media Center.  Also; roughs are thick, heavy and not many dry patches, based on what I read.

Golf tournaments, especially recent Majors, have been won by hot hands.  Most people didn't know too much about Patty Tavatanakit or A Lim Kim before they won.  But, if we're asked to pick a winner, Inbee and Lydia are logical choices.

Like you, I hope Lydia will win because she's the most credential to be the first to break the ice and win her third Major.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

I'm actually really looking forward to the featured groups, sure my fav is one of them but being able to watch every shot from all player in the group regardless of the players (within reason) for first 2 rounds is something I could get into.  Then I'd dive back into normal coverage of the leaders going into the weekend once everything is settled out.

Here's an idea for the LPGA, screw what the golf channel coverage is each week, buy 4 camera's hire 4 people and have them follow 1 group in the morning wave and stream it.  If you wanna run 1 minute ads during the walking to the balls, I'm good with that and you don't even need announcers, ambient noise might be an upgrade in my book lol.  The best part use Youtube and you save in streaming costs (upload data) and they will monetize your channel and depending on the amount of viewers globally you can make really money, in relative terms, that can be used to grow and develop the platform.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rustbelt said:

Most patient player with good putting game should win this.  I want to say Inbee Park but something tells me Jin Young Ko will do well here.  

How big of a story will this be if Michelle Wie West wins this? 🤐  I have no idea where her game is now. 

Although the past results and current form don't predict the future.....it is hard to say Inbee & JYK won't do well this week....but winning is winning vs. doing well (top 15).

Based on the last 10 USWO winners....5 winners were kinda off the radar....so I predict a winner that no one is really chatting about.

Unfortunately, I think Wie trunk slams...why?.....hasn't played enough competitive golf this year....and mother priorities are top of mind for her.

Let see if I'm out in left field on this post.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KBong said:

Although the past results and current form don't predict the future.....it is hard to say Inbee & JYK won't do well this week....but winning is winning vs. doing well (top 15).

Based on the last 10 USWO winners....5 winners were kinda off the radar....so I predict a winner that no one is really chatting about.

Unfortunately, I think Wie trunk slams...why?.....hasn't played enough competitive golf this year....and mother priorities are top of mind for her.

Let see if I'm out in left field on this post.

Not really off the radar but my dark horse is Moriya J.  She's been trending up the last month or so.  Plus it would make the "Best Sisters" thread more interesting lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Let's not write too much into what happened in Thailand.  The heat there was debilitating for all the players and it wouldn't take much for mental fatigue to set in.   One of the major reasons that the Thai players were crowding the top of the leaderboards is that they were probably best able to handle the heat.

Yes.

ANA and the Honda did have heat....but I gotta believe the May humidity in Thailand was a killer for those not use to it.

I was in Thailand in Jan 2002 on a golf vacation...it was hot & HUMID....we teed off at 730am and finished just after noon....then beached it in the afternoon.

I couldn't imagine playing competitive golf and concentrating in the May afternoon Thai conditions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

For what it's worth ... I have the Two Ko's as my favourites to win this week.    Enough distance off of the tee, fairway accurate, and good putters. 

Lydia hasn't been driving it accurately this year...we have seen some really BAD SNIP HOOKS off the planet....not good on a tree lined course and I assume thick rough.

Lydia is 116th or 68% in fairways hit this season....JYK....14th at 80%...that's statistically is 8 more FW's over 4 rds....and I think Lydia's driving dispersion is wider than JYK.

BUT

I think an equalizer for Lydia is IMO...she's a superior chipper and putter vs. JYK...but could the rough be too thick for Lydia's chipping magic?

I'm guessing that Lydia is pressing harder than JYK to win this week and might be a disadvantage. 

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't see Danielle as being deflated. I think the loss will motivate her. She played great golf, and busted out of her slump. If she hadn't run into the hottest player of the week, she probably would have won. She made very few mistakes, so her confidence should be (rightfully) sky high. 

I also don't  believe Kang is deflated...she's too arrogant to think otherwise.

But I think she finishes out of the top 10....it also might be my bias that I'm not a Kang fanboy and want to see others win.

But the $64000 question is:

How many times does Kang punch Man Bun this week?

What's the under/over?.....it think it's 10.

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Is that Lydia's shaft, I've no ideas.

Jessica Korda mentioned in her virtual interview that roughs were roughs, no first cut or second.  Roughs are 4.25" according to the Online Media Center.  Also; roughs are thick, heavy and not many dry patches, based on what I read.

As of the Lotte....Lydia played a Tensei White 50 S

https://www.golfwrx.com/652302/lydia-ko-witb-2021-april/

The USGA could chop down the rough on any day.

I hope the winning score is -2.

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Here's an idea for the LPGA, screw what the golf channel coverage is each week, buy 4 camera's hire 4 people and have them follow 1 group in the morning wave and stream it.  

Didn't Stephanie Wei get suspended from the PGA tour for a while for using Periscope....lol.

I chatted with her at the 2016 KPMG

The USGA is what matters this week...not the LPGA....they are losing $10M+ this week...lol.

I hope Whan as incoming USGA Prez doesn't con his way onto 3+ hours of TV overage each day...he loves to talk....lol.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Tough call as always with the course rotation events. Man, I feel like Inbee is the one to beat, but I like Jin Young on this one. I won't lie, I really wanna see Lexi get her game  PUTTER together.

Yu Liu for the sleeper. I also like Kupcho and Amy Yang.

Fixed it for you....you're welcome.

• Haha 1

OK

DUMBO for the WIN.

I'm an idiot...I just jinxed her....STUPID ME...ya can't teach stupid.

Rumor has it...the Flying Dumbo are scooping up scalped USWO tickets off Craigslist and FB Marketplace...they won't be DENIED.

Wasn't there a 2 ticket max purchase per day?????

If anyone is attending this week...ya gotta chat with The Flying Dumbo's...I had a great time chatting with 4 Flying Dumbos at the 2016 KPMG...3 flew in from Seoul.

BTW....I don't know..... I'm a Canuck....and too lazy to Google....does the US have a Covid international travel ban?...I think it's just at the land borders....but essential land spacer.pngare allowed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

an interview story on Rebecca Lee-Bentham playing her first US Women's Open

For every Brooke Henderson, there're tens of Rebecca Lee Bentham.  By following Rebecca's Instagram account; I've got to know for real another aspect of LPGA tour life.

The thing about Rebecca is that's she's so bright and positive independent of what's happened to her golf and her status as a tour player.  In my mind, she's forever a winner, no matter what.

My hope for Rebecca is to make the cut this week and extend her USWO experience.  She's capable, and she deserves it.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 4

Spectacularly tough: Only four players have finished under par at a U.S. Open at Olympic. Will it be the same for the women?

"The mowers went to work late Monday afternoon. The chop-fest out of the rough at The Olympic Club got a little too choppy, even by U.S. Women’s Open standards.

"It defeats the purpose of some graduated rough,” said the USGA’s Shannon Rouillard, “if the primary and the secondary is chop out.”

"Both were cut down ½ inch, leaving the primary cut at 2 ¾ and the secondary cut at 3 ¾.

Edited by 18majors

Even though picking someone with dodgy putting is a poor bet I'm going with Brooke to win this week.  Her ball striking is good enough that if she gets on any kind of roll the flat stick will come along for the ride.  Sticking with the theme, I'll take SYK as my #2.  Just a gut feel, it's going to be a player with a lot of speed bringing home the hardware.  Will of course be unabashedly rooting for SYR, In Gee and Lydia as well.

• Like 2

My sense is many players, win or lose, are proud to play the US Women's Open.  No different than many PGA players at Augusta National playing the Masters.

Everything is in place; I'm hopeful USGA will quickly bring the purse up to $10.0 million after they sign a presenting sponsor.

LPGA will truly arrive when that happens.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 18majors said:

My sense is many players, win or lose, are proud to play the US Women's Open.  No different than many PGA players at Augusta National playing the Masters.

Everything is in place; I'm hopeful USGA will quickly bring the purse up to $10.0 million after they sign a presenting sponsor.

LPGA will truly arrive when that happens.

IMO the problem for the LPGA in this regard, is the US Open and the British Open would be the only events that could reach those purse sizes.  The big contracts these events get are for the Men's event and they use that money to feed the Women's prize pool.  Other events don't have this luxury and the math in regards to return on investment aren't there with the LPGA.

Tennis is a different animal, because their Majors and 1000 level events are co-sanctioned and thus are able to use the revenue generated by the Men to help the Women much more often.  You can't really run PGA and LPGA events simultaneously thus preventing the Men's game from helping lift the Women's game. 

Perhaps the PGA could toss some cash in with KPMG to help raise that purse but other events don't have the sponsors willing to fork out that type of cash and I don't think pressuring them would help, they would most likely spend those dollar advertising in something else with a better bang for the buck. Although with Central Banks globally having their printers go BRRRRRR, with inflationary pressures I won't be surprised to see LPGA purses go up by a million or so over the next few years.

7 hours ago, ebk said:

The current US Women’s Am Champion is 5-1 for top 20, 12-1 for top 10, 28-1 for top 5 and 200-1 to win.  Playing in her third USWO, and fifth (or sixth?) major.  Seems worth a punt...

What a win by Rose will mean?

She'd be the youngest winner by more than one year, and  she'll enter Stanford University as a US Open winner.  The possibilities are endless!

Well, I'd settle for a Top-10 and dream about a Top-5.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Tennis is a different animal, because their Majors and 1000 level events are co-sanctioned and thus are able to use the revenue generated by the Men to help the Women much more often. 

This is no different than what USGA is doing.

After USGA raised the purse to $1.0 million in 1995, it took time but LPGA gradually was able to bring purses to over $1.0 million.  My personal opinion is that today's LPGA would be similar to LET if not for USGA lighting the fire.

The R&A isn't the same as USGA in channeling men's revenues to women's games.  In fact, today Women's British Open has a title sponsor, that means the sponsor is footing 90% of the bills with little help from the R&A.

USGA will never have a title sponsor.  They'll bring in a presenting sponsor for $7.0 - 10.0 millions to speed up the purse increases; but they will continue to invest more than $10.0 million of their own money each year to make USWO the best it can be.

We're very lucky to have an USGA doing what they've been doing, even though many fans fail to recognize it.

• Like 2