2 iron shaft help

PlusGolferUk

u500 head weight is not too far off from long iron heads.  PX 7.0 = 130g.  Maybe you'll have to go to a heavier 105-110g graphite shaft.  High bend helps too, changing grip weight as well as # of wraps.  Try adding some lead tape to the head.  Roughly 5grams of lead tape = approximately 3 points.  Doesn't take much so don't put it on really well, just good enough that it sticks so you can adjust.

My 2i is 718 T-MB 17' has Tensei AV White AM2 Iron S, at 39.5" and 90 grams, HIGH Bend shaft.  We got it swing weighted at acceptable D1 using heavier GP-CP2 Pro (51.5g) but only +2 wraps, verses my normal TV (49.5g) plus 3 wraps. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Maybe look for the unicorn...a .370 diameter Project X shaft in 7.0 or even an uncut 6.5 Project X and hardstep it? 

Might be an option, potentially

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

I would try lead tape for a start. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 4/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, PlusGolferUk said:

Just bought a u500 2 iron. Previous was a 2 iron with a project x7.0 in. Tried a Tensei white 100tx and can’t hit middle

of club and is far too light. Do I just need to add head weight or totally new heavier shaft? My irons are project x7.0. I can’t feel

this 2 iron at all

(Edit: ignore bolded part) Lighter shaft + same club head weight = higher swing and weight. You need to counter balance the shaft (add weight to grip/butt end) or move to a heavier shaft. This online calculator is very simple but has been within 1-2 swing weight points for me: https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator/

Edited by RolandofGilead

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

KBS proto 105x.  I've tested quite a few hybrid/UDI shafts and I chose the KBS proto because it was heavy, tip stiff and anti-left unless I made a really bad swing.  I like heavier clubs in general but a heavy shaft is a must for me. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, PlusGolferUk said:

Just bought a u500 2 iron. Previous was a 2 iron with a project x7.0 in. Tried a Tensei white 100tx and can’t hit middle

of club and is far too light. Do I just need to add head weight or totally new heavier shaft? My irons are project x7.0. I can’t feel

this 2 iron at all

it may be simple as adding headweight or you may need an overall heavier shaft. 

I personally get along with just adding weight to the head in lightweight shafts. I have a moderate tempo and easy transition with a 7 iron swing speed of 93-94mph. 

The PX profile isn’t that much different from a Modus 105 or Modus 125. The Modus 105 supposedly spins less and launches lower 

You’d be surprised how stiff the Modus 105x is. It felt stiffer than my DG X100’s and my playing partners PX 6.0’s . The Modus 105x is 113 grams, so not as drastic a drop, compared to the Tensei White 100tx 

https://exactgolf.com/pages/iron-shaft-comparison

Steelfiber also makes a 110 and a 125cw shaft that is plenty stout

Mine felt light with the Hzrdus smoke 80, I put in an Aerotech Steelfiber i95 and couldn’t be happier with it. FTR I use the i110cw in my irons (4i is also i95). 

Ping 425 Max 10.5* Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.0

Cobra Rad Tour 17.5* Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0

Cobra Rad Hyb 21*, 24* Hzrdus RDX Black 6.0

Bridgestone J15CB 5-P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Vokey SM7 50* 

Vokey SM10 54/S

Vokey SM9 60/D

Scotty Select Newport 2

Lanto Griffin has a swing speed average of just over 119mph and uses a Modus 105x in his Titleist U500 2 iron and Modus 130x in his Irons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

https://www.golfwrx.com/613544/lanto-griffin-witb-2020/

Project X makes a graphite shaft at 100 grams called PX Catalyst 100 6.5 

Its .355 so it will fit easily. 

On 4/15/2021 at 5:53 PM, RolandofGilead said:

Lighter shaft + same club head weight = higher swing weight. You need to counter balance the shaft (add weight to grip/butt end) or move to a heavier shaft. This online calculator is very simple but has been within 1-2 swing weight points for me: https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator/

Disagree with this, and it is slightly dangerous advice to give since the first part is incorrect and the second part is the wrong solution to the already incorrectly identified problem. 

Lighter shaft + same club head weight = A lighter club and the swing weight would only change if the balance point of the shaft changed as well. If both the PX 7.0 and the Tensei 100TX have the same or similar balance points then the swingweights would come out exactly the same, just with a ~30g drop in static weight. This is where the lack of feel that the OP is describing comes from and can be compensated for in a few different ways. 

1) Add headweight. The U500 can be hotmelted and I highly recommend that for hollow driving irons, especially the harder feeling Titleists. You can start with lead tape on the head (don't worry about how it looks) until you reach the right feel, then remove and weigh it to know how much hotmelt to add, or simply note the resulting swingweight and remove the lead tape and have the club hotmelted up to that spec. 

2) Heavier shaft. Higher speed guys often favor the same shaft as their irons as it makes for a more consistent feel. 

#1 when done correctly will result in a softer feel and sound (due to the hotmelt) and will usually net a slightly longer club given that additional headweight need to feel "correct" is normally much less than the static weight drop from the shaft change. I like this method if I want a "distance" iron. #2 will often be more accurate however given the higher overall static weight and better blend with your existing irons. Here are some specs for a few things I have built up in relation to by longest iron (4i)

DPC 4i w/130g steel shaft - D4 / 431g total weight
TP UDI 3i w/117g steel shaft - D6 / 420g total weight
TP UDI 3i w/100g graphite shaft - D6 / 413g total weight

We can see that even with the higher swingweight, both UDI's are still lighter clubs. They both have a decent amount of hotmelt in the heads to get to these numbers and without it they both felt the same way you are describing your current 2-iron.

If you're looking for a place to start then I would note the swingweight and total weight  of the longest iron in your set and work off of that. If your longest iron is D2 then you may end up D4-6 with your 100g shafted U500 before it feels right. Don't be concerned about these numbers as by messing with shaft weight you are getting into more feel/MOI matching than you are swingweight matching. Start with lead tape and experimenting on the range first and go from there. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

47 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Disagree with this, and it is slightly dangerous advice to give since the first part is incorrect and the second part is the wrong solution to the already incorrectly identified problem. 

Lighter shaft + same club head weight = A lighter club and the swing weight would only change if the balance point of the shaft changed as well. If both the PX 7.0 and the Tensei 100TX have the same or similar balance points then the swingweights would come out exactly the same, just with a ~30g drop in static weight. This is where the lack of feel that the OP is describing comes from and can be compensated for in a few different ways. 

1) Add headweight. The U500 can be hotmelted and I highly recommend that for hollow driving irons, especially the harder feeling Titleists. You can start with lead tape on the head (don't worry about how it looks) until you reach the right feel, then remove and weigh it to know how much hotmelt to add, or simply note the resulting swingweight and remove the lead tape and have the club hotmelted up to that spec. 

2) Heavier shaft. Higher speed guys often favor the same shaft as their irons as it makes for a more consistent feel. 

#1 when done correctly will result in a softer feel and sound (due to the hotmelt) and will usually net a slightly longer club given that additional headweight need to feel "correct" is normally much less than the static weight drop from the shaft change. I like this method if I want a "distance" iron. #2 will often be more accurate however given the higher overall static weight and better blend with your existing irons. Here are some specs for a few things I have built up in relation to by longest iron (4i)

DPC 4i w/130g steel shaft - D4 / 431g total weight
TP UDI 3i w/117g steel shaft - D6 / 420g total weight
TP UDI 3i w/100g graphite shaft - D6 / 413g total weight

We can see that even with the higher swingweight, both UDI's are still lighter clubs. They both have a decent amount of hotmelt in the heads to get to these numbers and without it they both felt the same way you are describing your current 2-iron.

If you're looking for a place to start then I would note the swingweight and total weight  of the longest iron in your set and work off of that. If your longest iron is D2 then you may end up D4-6 with your 100g shafted U500 before it feels right. Don't be concerned about these numbers as by messing with shaft weight you are getting into more feel/MOI matching than you are swingweight matching. Start with lead tape and experimenting on the range first and go from there. 

You’re right, I plugged in some numbers and realized I was wrong and forgot to edit the post. I stand by the calculator as a basic estimating tool though, realizing it does not account for balance point / counter balanced shafts / etc.

• Thanks 1

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

3 minutes ago, RolandofGilead said:

You’re right, I plugged in some numbers and realized I was wrong and forgot to edit the post. I stand by the calculator as a basic estimating tool though, realizing it does not account for balance point / counter balanced shafts / etc.

No worries, appreciate the correction. 👍

Counterbalancing is also a whole different can of worms that is often misapplied. I actually like that you suggested it as a means to actually add weight/heft to the club, because that is what it does. Too many people take what it does to the swingweight scale at face value and prescribe counterweights as a means to reduce the swingweight of the club, which IMO is virtually always a mistake. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have a Modus3 105X in my U85 2-iron and love it.  Years ago, I also had the first Ping Crossover with a steel fiber i110cw in it and that shaft was very solid.  I also have a U65 3 iron with a Kuro Kage 100TX Hybrid shaft and while I might get a bit more club speed with it on a few swings where I really crack the whip right, both of the others above are more consistent directionally.