1st Time Bandon Trip - Did I bite off more than I can chew?

BG5

Long story short I am 40 and have wanted to go to Bandon for over 15 years but never could pull it off.....when I turned 40 I said "its time"

Anything I should switch around on tee times?  I decided to play Pacific 3 times and all the other courses twice...good idea?

Day 1 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails

Day 2 - Old Mac and Pacific Dunes

Day 3 - Sheep Ranch and Bandon Dunes

Day 4 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Preserve

Day 5 - Sheep Ranch and old Mac

Day 6 - Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails

Ive decided to get a caddie for all my rounds....although it will cost me an arm and a leg I figure its a must with this much golf.  I doubt I will be back to Bandon anytime soon so why not live "high on the hog" for a few days right?

I will be flying into Portland and driving down to Bandon the day before.

The big questions I have are as follows:

1.  Anything I should switch around on tee times?

2.  I decided to play pacific dunes 3 times and the rest of the courses 2 times...good idea?

3.  I kind of like the idea of asking for a different caddie on most of my rounds....is there anything wrong with this?  I just like the idea of meeting as many of the caddies as possible as it will add different perspectives to each course

Last but not least....The first 5 rounds I am solo and am not to worried about that....the last 7 rounds will be with a group of 15 other guys so it should be a blast.  

Looking forward to answers on the questions above and if you have anything else I should consider please let me know.

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I sure hope so 🙂  Thats the big reason I am going with a caddie on every round....should help out a ton.  I am 5'11' and 185 pounds and for the most part stay in pretty good shape.  But I agree....thats a lot of golf.  I played 53 holes last year at Sand Valley in 1 day and I did not have a caddie and did not feel to bad but this trip will be that much golf for 6 days in a row...hopefully the caddie will help.

I also plan to play the senior tees and tee it forward and that should make a huge difference as well

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Only you can answer the question as to whether your body can handle all that golf, but I think your itinerary is excellent.  I wouldn't make a single change to that.  However, I really would suggest trying to stick with one caddie for the entire trip.  You're not there to meet people, you're there for an incredible golf experience, and that's really accentuated by forming a bond with a caddie who gets to know you and your game and can provide guidance based on that. All that said, bring extra socks and Moleskin for any blisters that arise!  We look forward to your trip report when you get back.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed bonding with a caddie over the course of the trip. They get to know your game and can tailor their advice, which I think is a large part of the value they add- know your miss, know your ball flight, know the shots you're comfortable hitting, etc. Otherwise, they're essentially carrying your bag, giving you a line, and helping with reads. But to each their own.

Change your shoes and socks between rounds if practical. Will help avoiding any hot spots over that much walking. 

This is also a matter of preference, but I think spikeless are a must. The ground is rock hard, it's like walking on concrete. Doing so with spikes on for 6 days is a different beast.

The only thing with tee times I noticed was playing Trails in the afternoon both days. It's most protected from the wind, so not a bad idea, but on an early morning with the sun coming through the trees, its magestic. I try to get a repeat round early/late on all the courses just to give them variety. Could mix one of the SR rounds, but if you're worried about the wind being too brutal at SR, may not be ideal.

There's a soaking tub in the basement of the Lodge. May not be open with COVID, but look into that with the long walks as well.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Schedule looks good to me. Ambitious. Preserve on Day 4 will provide somewhat of a break.

Regarding caddies, I like the idea of switching up every two days (four rounds). That's what I've done on my trips there. I do this because I want my caddie to be a single bagger, and I feel somewhat guilty that by doing so he is generally making 1/2 as much vs. double bagging. I also ask the caddiemaster Vince to assign me a caddie that does not mind, or perhaps prefers, single bagging.

If I were to overthink your itinerary, which I assume is why you asked, I'd put one of your PD rounds in the afternoon on Day 4, 5, or 6.  You're able to cancel a replay round without any cost.  You may want a break, so skipping a third round at a course might not be a bad idea.

But, as a first timer, it's all going to be awesome regardless, and the last thing you want to do is have any thoughts of what could have been interfering with your enjoyment.

A caddy will help a LOT, so you just need to worry about taking care of your body with stretching, foam rolling, hydration, and sleep.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Ok....so now I just realized my flight has been changed so I will be arriving a day early and flying into Portland about 11:00am.  Its roughly a 5 hour drive from Portland so I am trying to get advice on what I should do for golf.  My golf schedule is below but I need some advice on what to do the day of arrival because I know I am gonna want to play some golf.  Do I try to sneak in as much of an 18 hole round as I can?  If so what course should it be or do I play the par 3 and mess around at shortys and the putting course?  I would assume the par 3 will take around a hour and I might want to go for a 18 hole round on the day of arrival????  I know I am playing alot of golf but I have decided to splurge and get a caddie for all rounds so help my body out.  Its painful to think about the extra cash spent but I do think the caddies will improve my game, be fun to talk to and help my body.  Any advice on what to do the day of arrival would be greatly appreciated.

Arrival Day - I will be to Bandon about 4:30....what should I do????

Day 2 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails

Day 3 - Old Mac and Pacific Dunes

Day 4 - Sheep Ranch and Bandon Dunes

Day 5 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Preserve

Day 6 - Sheep Ranch and old Mac

Day 7 - Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

On 4/22/2021 at 1:09 PM, kaschreiber said:

The ground is rock hard, it's like walking on concrete. Doing so with spikes on for 6 days is a different beast.

Really not talked about enough. I played one of my 8 rounds there in my Trues and tossed them after one round. Just couldn't do it. You need a shoe with a lot of good padding/support if you are playing multiple days of 36.

FWIW, the walk can kill you even with a caddie. I am in good shape, walk 2-3x a week during the season at my club - and 36x4 with a caddie was an real workout. I think a lot of people think "Bandon is on the ocean, it must be flat". Couldn't be more wrong. Tons of sneaky elevation changes out there. 

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I have heard some people suggest just bringing a nice pair of tennis shoes to walk in.  A buddy of mine who has been 3 times swears by just wearing normal tennis shoes at Bandon......any thoughts on this?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

You will need traction especially morning rounds. I have been to Bandon over 20 times as I used to live in Oregon. Pacific is my least favorite course of all of them, but it is pretty. I think you have WAY too much golf scheduled. Walking a round at Bandon is close to walking 36 at any other course for sure. If you want to play that much golf, take a caddy in ALL afternoon rounds. The walks are not flat terrain and will e draining. Have fun...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

BG5,  have played the Bandon courses regularly since 2001.    Totally love walking on the turf because unlike most of the Pacific Northwest (especially in winter) it’s firm & solid.   If you’re in shape & walk at your home course, the Bandon courses are not difficult to walk.

I’ve always used golf shoes but could see people wearing running shoes if they don’t have a really hard, torquing, swing. 

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Ok....so now I just realized my flight has been changed so I will be arriving a day early and flying into Portland about 11:00am.  Its roughly a 5 hour drive from Portland so I am trying to get advice on what I should do for golf.  My golf schedule is below but I need some advice on what to do the day of arrival because I know I am gonna want to play some golf.  Do I try to sneak in as much of an 18 hole round as I can?  If so what course should it be or do I play the par 3 and mess around at shortys and the putting course?  I would assume the par 3 will take around a hour and I might want to go for a 18 hole round on the day of arrival????  I know I am playing alot of golf but I have decided to splurge and get a caddie for all rounds so help my body out.  Its painful to think about the extra cash spent but I do think the caddies will improve my game, be fun to talk to and help my body.  Any advice on what to do the day of arrival would be greatly appreciated.

Arrival Day - I will be to Bandon about 4:30....what should I do????

Day 2 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails

Day 3 - Old Mac and Pacific Dunes

Day 4 - Sheep Ranch and Bandon Dunes

Day 5 - Pacific Dunes and Bandon Preserve

Day 6 - Sheep Ranch and old Mac

Day 7 - Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails

They do not let people "sneak out" for 18 holes or get out and see what they can play. Generally the last time on the sheet is the very end as they don't have carts nor want to be transporting people back in the dark. I would hit the range, maybe play Shorties (the par 3 course on the range), take the shuttle to the shops and see what gear you can find. Get a feel for the whole property and take it all in, walk to Labyrinth, have a cigar outside the Lodge, grab a hot dog and a drink at the Punchbowl or a quick meal at Trails, watch the sunset if possible and call it a night. You're going to have a busy 7 days, I'd say let the first afternoon lay the groundwork for what's to come.

I meant to chime in on this entire thread earlier. Personally I don't think Bandon is an overly difficult walk, especially if you're with a caddie, but if weather becomes a factor this could become a long week. I personally have never played 6 days in a row in general, let alone 36 per day. I'm sure I could grind my way through it, but I'm guessing I'd be exhausted by the end. FWIW I'm about the same age, size and physical condition as you and on my last trip I carried my own bag over a 4 day trip. By the end I was a bit wiped out but could have kept on going; the bigger issue for me is if my back can hold up to that many swings. If that's not an issue for you you might be ok. But my legs held up well enough.

As to the shoes, the turf there is pretty firm and thin. My first trip I did entirely in nubbed soft spikes and was completely fine, but we had no precipitation. If that happens then softspikes are the wrong choice. My last trip I wore my Jordan ST trainers the whole way, they've got softspikes but are otherwise a very comfortable and cushioned shoe, and that worked perfectly for me. If I had to suggest one way, that would be it, something somewhat athletic and cushioned with softspikes. I don't think I'd go with a firmly structured or heavily plastic soled shoe for this trip.

• Like 2

Agree with Vnutz on just getting your feet under you at the resort after a long travel day.  There's plenty of ways to get swings in and soak up the vibe for a couple hours - that would actually help build the excitement for that first tee time the next day.

Plus, if you're flying into PDX and getting a rental car, if you actually touch down at 11, you probably won't be on the road until noon, which would put you at the resort around 5.  With check-in, unloading, etc. the best you could expect is to be swinging a club around 6.  With all the golf you've got scheduled, no need to push it.  If you've got time, head out to the practice area (you could easily burn two hours there alone) and maybe play a few holes on Shorty's.  Evenings are a great time to just take in the place.

You didn't mention what time of year you're going, so sunset will obviously be much later if you're going in, say, June vs October

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I appreciate all the advice you have given.....we are going in late june so we will have a lot of daylight...maybe a late night round on the preserve?  Is it worth playing twice?  I have heard its great but not sure if I should play it twice or just hit the range and shortys.....I kind of like the idea of just hanging out at the range and chillin

Edited by BG5

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

6 minutes ago, BG5 said:

I appreciate all the advice you have given.....we are going in late june so we will have a lot of daylight...maybe a late night round on the preserve?  Is it worth playing twice?  I have heard its great but not sure if I should play it twice or just hit the range and shortys.....I kind of like the idea of just hanging out at the range and chillin

Carb load for the upcoming week....

Gotta be honest, I never even stopped at the range once. My body has X available swings over 4 days of 36 holes a day, I decided to waste 0 of those swings on the range.

• Like 4

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

2 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Gotta be honest, I never even stopped at the range once. My body has X available swings over 4 days of 36 holes a day, I decided to waste 0 of those swings on the range.

Thats a really good point about swings....didnt really think about that much.  What is your thought about another round on the preserve or play an opening 18 holes on the day of arrival....I am a golf nut....not sure if I can just check things out in the proshop etc....I have been waiting for 15 years to make this trip

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

9 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I'm much the same way, the back can only do so much. But if you're from the midwest like me and are used to soft turf and big pelt divots, the sandy soil and tight lies can take some time to adjust to, especially the wedges.

Edited by VNutz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Same, been there twice, never visited the range but we usually go over a fast and furious 4 days of 36/day in shoulder seasons. I'd rather play The Preserve, shorty's or hit The Punchbowl myself. 

4 hours ago, BG5 said:

After flying in the morning and then sitting in a car for the 4.5 hour drive from the airport, you're going to be stiff.  Take it easy that first evening.  Maybe take a few swings at the practice center to loosen up the back a bit......hit Shorty's, the par 3 course at the south end of the range if it's open. No charge for that, other than a requested $10 donation to Jr. golf at the honor box.  You should have playable light until past 9:30pm in late June, so you have time to get a round in at the Preserve if you want, but I'd take it easy that first day.  Get checked-in, scope out the resort a bit, even drive 5 miles into the town of Bandon and see sunset at Bandon Beach.  One of the prettiest beach on the west coast and VERY few resort visitors bother to do that.  Just take Hwy 101 through town, take a right on 11th St, and then follow that to it ends in the parking lot overlooking the ocean.

Love your itinerary. Gone to Bandon multiple times, and play 8 rounds in 5 days. I'm in my 40s and physically doable. I think you have an aggressive schedule already. I love Shorty's idea -- get used to the firm ground and hit some good chips to get acclimated. In addition to your feet (and all of the sage advice already provided), you want to make sure your hands don't get blistered from all of your swings!

Re: caddies; if you find one that you like, I'd stick with them. It's very hit or miss there (unfortunately).

Just got back from Bandon on Saturday. I think the only thing that I might change is to try to get Sheep Ranch in the afternoon once. We had fog at the beginning of our AM rounds, and it would suck if you missed a few views. That being said, you really have no idea what the weather will bring, so you might get AM and PM fog, or no fog. :shrug:

That itinerary looks like a blast. We went 13/36/36/18, and I was still ready for more. I was just there, yet I'm still jealous of people that have plans to go.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

Gents - 10 days until my first trip to Bandon and I am so pumped I can hardly contain myself.  I decided to bite the financial bullet and take a caddie for all my rounds as I am testing the limits of endurance but I have wanted to go to Bandon for 15 years....not sure when I will get back so I decided to go big or go home.

I plan to take pics each day and write a detailed trip report each night on wrx as I am kind of a gold nerd and can do it pretty quickly.

My agenda is as follows

Day 1 - Flying into Portland at 11:00 so I am hoping to catch and afternoon round at Bandon Dunes or Sheep Ranch.  As of now tee times are pretty open

Day 2 - Pacific Dune &  Bandon Trails

Day 3 - Old Mac & Pacific Dunes

Day 4 - Sheep Ranch & Bandon Dunes

Day 5 - Pacific Dunes & Bandon Preserve

Day 6 - Sheep Ranch & Old Mac

Day 7 - Bandon Dunes & Bandon Trails

I am gonna bring 5 pairs of shoes....more socks than I know what to do with and plenty of gear.

Any last advice for a first timer?

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

First off, real jealous of your golf trip! Went down to Bandon in February for the first time and can't stop thinking about my next trip down there. We played 108 holes in 4 days. If you have a Theragun, I would definitely recommend bringing it with you. Did wonders with my feet / lower back after those 36 hole days . Enjoy the trip and the experience, as it is second to none!

31 minutes ago, VNutz said:

@BG5 I think the 5 pairs of shoes might be overdoing it, but if you have room go for it. In the past I've taken 3 but never worn more than 2.

Ok 🙂  I'll plan on taking 3

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Lip balm and sunscreen, especially on Day 6.  Both OM and SR are completely exposed.

We'll be there on your days 4-6 for the Solstice event.  We're aiming for a WRX meetup at the evening get together on the 21st, maybe take a lap around the Punchbowl together.

9 minutes ago, spud3 said:

Lip balm and sunscreen, especially on Day 6.  Both OM and SR are completely exposed.

We'll be there on your days 4-6 for the Solstice event.  We're aiming for a WRX meetup at the evening get together on the 21st, maybe take a lap around the Punchbowl together.

I really did not even think about that....thanks for sharing about sunscreen and lip balm.  I would love to meet up if time permits.  We have a group of 14 going and on the 21st Ill be playing Bandon Dunes in afternoon.

Keep me posted or send me PM

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

@BG5 I think the 5 pairs of shoes might be overdoing it, but if you have room go for it. In the past I've taken 3 but never worn more than 2.

I took two and wore 1.

I got what I thought was a gag stocking stuffer last year of the Dukes Cannon Balm lip stuff, its gigantic and perfect for leaving in the golf bag.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*