Tour Edge Exotics C721 Hybrid Review

golfinbrad

Nice review. Strong lineup from Tour Edge this year. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

17 minutes ago, Simp said:

TE is on point for sure. To my eye, the hybrid set up just slightly closed. I couldn't get past that. 

Interesting. I didn’t find that at all. Looked square to a little open to me. In fact, seemed easy to set it open at address. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

For the past few years my bag has been a mix of Callaway and Tour Edge.  Prior bag mix had Callaway driver + irons, TE fairway woods // current mix below a variation.

Things about TE: Does its own R&D, clubs come with lifetime guarantee - snapped shaft on a 2012 XRail 7W two years ago, TE replaced shaft for just cost of inbound postage. TE developed the cup-face technology used in fairways and hybrids, that OEMs now include in irons.

TE was founded in 1986 by former club pro David Glod. Besides owning TE, Glod was active for several years helping manage the Web.com Tour (now Korn Ferry).

TE has the Exotics line for cutting edge/futuristic design clubs, Hot Launch line for everyday golfers, and Bazooka for boxed sets/beginners sets.

As for comments this thread...

5 hours ago, Simp said:

TE is on point for sure. To my eye, the hybrid set up just slightly closed. I couldn't get past that. 

4 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Interesting. I didn’t find that at all. Looked square to a little open to me. In fact, seemed easy to set it open at address. 

For hybrids in Exotics line, TE has always offered a square face. (TE's Hot Launch line for beginners and more recreational golfers feature offset versions).  Its CBX and CBX119 hybrids of a couple of years ago were touted by reps as "left-proof." Square to slightly-open face with robust shaft offerings.

As for remarks about it Champions Tour emphasis, is that bad? Lots of senior pros play them... and senior tour players have more in common with competitive amateurs than the main PGA Tour players. Plus, TE has greatly expanded shaft offerings the past three cycles, which should broaden appeal to more golfers.

One challenge for consumers: Not all the major golf retailers carry TE.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 weeks later...

I was able play 45 holes this past weekend during a member-guest tournament.  The 18 hole practice round was rained out and the tournament rounds were overcast and rainy making the course play long and the rough thick.  I used the hybrid off the tee 5 times on 2 holes.  Hit the fairway 4 times and one just off.  Distance was and flight very consistent.  I did hit one high on the toe and was about 20 yards shorter than the others.  That said it was a total mishit, but still found the fairway.  I was also able to hit a couple times off the fairway and out of the rough.   I am much more comfortable hitting a 4 iron from the rough or fairway than a fairway wood.  Even my DI it was a little iffy.  I can say I had no issue with the hybrid.  It felt more like an iron than a wood from the fairway and out of the rough.  Out of the rough I just had to be careful not to get to steep, so I didn't pop it up.  So far, I have been very pleased with this club.  I have a couple more rounds planned over the next couple weeks and will continue to update.  I can say my Ping Rapture DI my be up for sale if things continue.  Biggest difference is versatility.

• Like 1

This club is quickly becoming my favorite.  Only used it twice tonight.  Off tee on an up hill into the wind hole.  Tried to play a low cut.  Over cut it a bit and figured I caught fairway bunker.  Was 25 yards past, which is where a well struck DI would have been.  Not that club is longer, but wind had no affect.  Other was a long approach to a par 5.  It is an elevated green that plays a good club - club and half longer.  I hit is over the green.  I am still trying to learn the distances, but my confidence on playing this club is very high.  The versitilty and forgiveness is much better than my DI.  I questioned how it would perform in the wind and it is even better than the 2 iron.  Tour Edge got this one right!!!!

Nice write up. 
I have the TEE CBX119 16* hybrid and I’m trying to dial it in a bit better now. I added 6g of lead tape to tighten up some of my flight issues. (Since it’s too light for my liking I end up hitting it low on the face more often then I’d like)

I have a Tensei Blue in the CBX119 . When I hit it flush, it’s a nice penetrating flight, lower than most and produces some nice ball speeds. It’s about 3-4 mph faster than the club it replaced which was my 18* Callaway Apex (2016) that had an Aldila 2kxv shaft at 1/2 over and 2* flat. 

TEE gets some talk here, but they are underrepresented as a whole. 

The TEE EXS PRO is the best hybrid I’ve hit in years……… it might kick the CBX119 out unless I get it dialed in a bit better. My shoulder is a bit messed up, but I’m able to make some full swings now with some minor swing changes, so today is my test of what stays and what goes in the bag shoot out

TEE CBX119 hybrid at 16* Tensei Blue X vs TEE CBX119 3/4 wood at 16.5* with Evenflow Blue 6.5

So far the 4 wood has the advantage. Similar dispersion, but I like the flight better off the deck. Not much difference in overall distance between the two, but the 4 wood is all carry. 

I was lucky enough to be one of the winners of thie C721 hybrid giveaway that Golfwrx/Tour Edge put forth here on the website.

I received my 19* C721 w/KBS TGI 80stiff yesterday and I just got back from the range.

It is a rocket launcher with great feel. I was playing a Titieist TSI2 18* RDX Black stiff and the C721 is longer with a similar flight window.

I returned the TSI2 and the C721 will stay in the bag.

Big thank you again to Golfwrx and Tour Edge!!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Is everybody still gaming the C721 hybrid? 

I'm gaming the C721 driver and have the C721 3,4,7 fairways in and out of my bag.

I'm never got around to getting their C721 hybrids but I wanted to upgrade my hybrids to them.

When I saw the E722 hybrids on Tour Edge pre-owned for $79.99 I didn't miss out and grabbed the 3,4,and 5. 

Awesome hybrids as I'm sure the C721's are.

Edited by Greenie
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I just found one here for $69.99 (new with the KGS shaft).  Going to try this for my wife, who's had issues with other hybrids being hook-seeking missiles or worm-burning top rockets...

https://www.golfetail.com/tour-edge-golf-hot-launch-c721-hybrid-rescue-club/

If this works, I get to keep her Callaway Super Hybrid that's currently going off almost as far as my 3 wood when I really tag one and can go as short as needed when I need to cut something around a tree or even draw something low and hard.  It's running a Recoil F3 shaft that I tipped 1/2" for her trying to get rid of the left hook issue for her and well, that was not successful. However, this somehow gaps pretty well with my Callaway driver w/ a 70 gram Tour X shaft and my irons with 115 gram Nippon 1150gh steel shafts.  

So, fingers crossed the Tour Edge works as well for her as it has for all of you so I can keep blasting the Cally...

• Like 1

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

Tour Edge gets slept on for sure. I have an E722 driver, 3w, and 3h. All are incredibly easy to hit and flew just as good as the bigger name brands I tested them against at the store. The hybrid specifically seems to be a rocket launcher. So easy to just rifle a ball downrange. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

On 5/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, bekgolf said:

Is everybody still gaming the C721 hybrid? 

I managed to pick one up from CPO with a Hzrdus Black shaft.  It has now supplanted my old Cleveland XLS 19* as the easiest to hit hybrid I've ever owned.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

So, I'm on staff with Callaway, but always tooling around with clubs and this thread is alarmingly timely.  Someone at my club wasn't very happy with their C721 19° hybrid and it ended up in the trash bin with a broken shaft.  So me, being the type who can't stand to see a good club go to waste, snagged it, pulled the old shaft, cleaned it up a smidge, and reshafted it.  It is currently occupying a spot where the '24 Apex UW will most likely go, but it is performing well so far and is a club that I would recommend if asked.  Neutral face, solid ball flight, decent forgiveness, reasonable feel.  

Solid performer, especially if you can find it at that $69 price point.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]