Best ball for green side spin?

Mp14forlife

9 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

I know all.that.

Just a polite response from me a suggestion rather than an instruction

I was just rattling on about using B XS on Par 3's. In all seriousness I can't imagine my game (15hcp) is capable of taking advantage of a little extra spin on one hole, a little less on another. One of those things that in theory might be a little advantage but in reality I doubt it would work out that way.

Cheers.

P.S. Speaking of the Rules and breaking them...there was a guy used to play in our group who liked to switch to a "putting ball". Nobody ever told him to stop doing it, he was not a good putter at all. It was kind of joke to the rest of us, he's going to all that trouble to cheat and use a different ball and he still can't make a 4-footer to save his life. Not sure how much worse he thought he'd be by putting with his regular ball!

Edited by North Butte

On 6/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Nard_S said:

LOl, Prov 1 and XB S are near the same. Bridgestone S is rated for 105 mph driver swing, So not a distance ball & not only for Tiger.

whats an XBS???? Still trying to figure that one out.....must be the bal the aliens play on mars.....

That ball was designed by Tiger....for himself.......but in true Golf WRX form....many many people here think otherwise and play it just to say the "play tigers ball"....its hilarious.....Fred Couples doesnt play that ball because he said himself its designed for Tiger....but I guess WRX'ers know more than Fred

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tsecor said:

whats an XBS???? Still trying to figure that one out.....must be the bal the aliens play on mars.....

That ball was designed by Tiger....for himself.......but in true Golf WRX form....many many people here think otherwise and play it just to say the "play tigers ball"....its hilarious.....Fred Couples doesnt play that ball because he said himself its designed for Tiger....but I guess WRX'ers know more than Fred

You rant about a typo, rant that no one not even Fred should play "Tiger Ball', then you recommend Pro V? Are you effing kidding? BXS is Tiger ball, but let'a "keep it real and go with Pro V".

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Man, this thread is a few fries short of a happy meal......

fee369f.jpg

Seriously, a lot of GolfWRX threads are going this direction now, and it's really sad. It's almost a guarantee that every thread will have at least one tangential argument that derails. 

I hope we don't lose the what makes this place great which is that it is the ultimate information source for golfers. Stay on Facebook comment threads if you want to start arguments 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver: nope

2W: TaylorMade Mini 300 (13.5*) - Ventus Blue 7x 

5W: Cobra SpeedZone (18*) - Ventus Blue 8x

4H: PING G410 (22*) - Tour AD-95x

5i-PW: Srixon zX5/7 - Project X LZ 6.5

GW: PING Glide 3.0 - Project X Rifle 6.5

SW: Vokey TVD-K Grind - Project X Rifle 6.5

LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw LB - Project X Rifle 6.5

P: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (Crescent Neck)

14 hours ago, Nard_S said:

You rant about a typo, rant that no one not even Fred should play "Tiger Ball', then you recommend Pro V? Are you effing kidding? BXS is Tiger ball, but let'a "keep it real and go with Pro V".

its not a typo ....try reading the other posts.....he claims the Tiger ball is the XBS...so take your personal attack elsewhere. Not interested in your constant attacks. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Alan Pllu said:

I thought Fred Couples played the tour BRXS not the tour BXS/tiger ball? 

That is correct. Couples has always stated the BXS is pretty unique and built for Tigers game.....thats why Couples plays a different ball. He knows he isnt Tiger. He has said that on many occasions.  Even the Bridgestone website has the quote from Fred.

Fred plays BRXS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

its not a typo ....try reading the other posts.....he claims the Tiger ball is the XBS...so take your personal attack elsewhere. Not interested in your constant attacks. 

TOUR B TW Edition (bridgestonegolf.com)

From Bridgestone:

From a performance perspective, the TOUR B XS-TW edition balls are identical to the standard TOUR B XS model.

So B XS is Tiger ball or Tour B TW. I played both, exact same. Pro V from a performance standard is actually slightly less giving off the tee, slightly firmer feeling. So saying Pro V is rational choice and B XS is a reach is beyond ridiculous. If you said, "use NXT", get it. Also B XS is cheaper. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nard_S said:

TOUR B TW Edition (bridgestonegolf.com)

From Bridgestone:

From a performance perspective, the TOUR B XS-TW edition balls are identical to the standard TOUR B XS model.

So B XS is Tiger ball or Tour B TW. I played both, exact same. Pro V from a performance standard is actually slightly less giving off the tee, slightly firmer feeling. So saying Pro V is rational choice and B XS is a reach is beyond ridiculous. If you said, "use NXT", get it. Also B XS is cheaper. 

Here is some info for you if interested. 

“The XS has a 75 compression better suited to driver swings over 105 mph

The firmer XS can actually spin more and produce slower ball speeds for slower swingers, while those with more firepower will get more ball speed and distance with Tiger’s ball.

Prov1 is 12 points higher compression and reacts differently to swing speeds on 6iron thru driver. around the green, 50 yards and in, the two balls test identicle...much like every ball on the market.... 

Edited by tsecor

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Here is some more education for you if interested. 

“The XS has a 75 compression better suited to driver swings over 105 mph

The firmer XS can actually spin more and produce slower ball speeds for slower swingers, while those with more firepower will get more ball speed and distance with Tiger’s ball.

Prov1 is 12 points higher compression and reacts differently to swing speeds on 6iron thru driver. around the green, 50 yards and in, the two balls test identicle...much like every ball on the market.... 

Is your comprehension is lacking here or are you just conveniently taking the quote out of context. They are comparing the XS to the R variant in your "quotation".

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

Is your comprehension is lacking here or are you just conveniently taking the quote out of context. They are comparing the XS to the R variant in your "quotation".

I think you have an issue understanding the point here.....i plucked the XS info from a test. to show compression and who benefits from Tigers ball....  high swing speed players like Tiger....

Then you take the prov1 which is a totally different compression, different cover...not the same ball.....the Prov1 can benefit a slower swing speed player wheras te XS may not....

either way, its time to move on. Just thought this would help

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I think you have an issue understanding the point here.....i plucked the XS info from a test. to show compression and who benefits from Tigers ball....  high swing speed players like Tiger....

Then you take the prov1 which is a totally different compression, different cover...not the same ball.....the Prov1 can benefit a slower swing speed player wheras te XS may not....

either way, its time to move on. Just thought this would help

Higher compression balls do not benefit slower swingers.

4 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Higher compression balls do not benefit slower swingers.

oh boy....lol.....Actually a well-known golf website just did a study on golf balls and found that higher compression (e.g. ProV1x) balls are longer with the driver for almost all swing speeds.

just move on....its getting waaaay off course....see u in another thread

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1

Pro V1x seems hard to beat for me. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Generalizing about "higher compression" this and "softer" that is not particularly useful. There are many other aspects to a ball's design beside the number you get when you squeeze it with a compression gauge.

For what it's worth, as a definite "slow swinger" I have found the Tour B XS ball *specifically* does not work well for me. It definitely spins more than other balls and it is one of the very few balls I've tried that is a lot shorter off my irons than usual.

So if Bridgestone indeed set out to design a ball that works well only for very, very high clubhead speed players like Tiger, it sure looks to me like they succeeded. Most manufacturers prefer to make balls that work for a wide range of golfers but I think Bridgestone in this case is wise to warn that performance might be poor for someone like me. 

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

oh boy....lol.....Actually a well-known golf website just did a study on golf balls and found that higher compression (e.g. ProV1x) balls are longer with the driver for almost all swing speeds.

just move on....its getting waaaay off course....see u in another thread

"Why this Ladies ball has 100 compression"....said no one ever.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, North Butte said:

There seem to be two types of golfers in the world. The ones who think "compression" tells them everything they need to know about a golf ball and those who don't.

Well I'm the latter. B XS is softer compression than Pro V x1 but it spins  just as much. I'm at 110, so have no issues with either.

8 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Well I'm the latter. B XS is softer compression than Pro V x1 but it spins  just as much. I'm at 110, so have no issues with either.

Have you ever seen someone measure a Pro V1x and Tour B XS with the same compression gauge? 

I suspect the Tour B XS is not in fact lower compression than Pro V1x but can't find any published measurements comparing the two balls directly.

You do realize that manufacturer advertised "compression" numbers are not remotely comparable across brands, right?

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Have you ever seen someone measure a Pro V1x and Tour B XS with the same compression gauge? 

I suspect the Tour B XS is not in fact lower compression than Pro V1x but can't find any published measurements comparing the two balls directly.

You do realize that manufacturer advertised "compression" numbers are not remotely comparable across brands, right?

I understand all that. Played both enough to know Pro Vx1 is harder.

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

The Site Which Shall Not Be Named has data for the B XS and the V1 and V1X Left Dash.  The B XS is lower compression than both Titleists.

I'd be interested in seeing cover softness data, but no one seems to be reporting that these days

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

20 hours ago, Nard_S said:

"B XS is softer compression than Pro V x1"   obviously....lol....11 points.  And its the highest spinning ball in the Bridgestone lineup (on full shots)

for reference

Bxs has a compression of 86

Prov1 is 90 

BX is 98

Prov1x is 97

if you can tell the difference within each group when you hit them, you are either an alien with a real advanced brain. Obviously you can tell the difference between the "softer" group and the "harder" group. 

21 hours ago, Nard_S said:

"I really enjoy the tiger ball, the XBS......said no one ever."

lol....all in good fun Nard....no hard feelings

21 hours ago, Nard_S said:

On the face that seems correct but the data would suggest that higher compression balls deliver more ball speed across a wide range of swing speeds, at least off the driver. It's probably not enough to where it should override feel and other factors. 

20 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Seems like cover is more determinant for spin than compression, though Titleist is playing with a compression gradient on the new balls which affects spin off different clubs. Either way compression is mostly going to affect feel in my experience, the left dash has a noticeably different sound and feel vs the standard V1X.

20 hours ago, North Butte said:

B XS is more similar to a V1, it's definitely lower compression than a V1x, though no one really advertises any kind of number anymore. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

1 hour ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

the left dash has a noticeably different sound and feel vs the standard V1X.

no doubt. ive been playing the left dash the last few weeks and driver distance has increased by 20 yards...enough where i can rib my playing partner on the course....its is noticeably firm.....but it flies....around the green its been better than anticipated. 

58 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

but the data would suggest that higher compression balls deliver more ball speed across a wide range of swing speeds, at least off the driver.

It also tends to adds spin, which can be good or can be bad.....depends who you are and if ratio of side spin is too high.

I'm a Pro Vx1 fan. 100 feet in, best ball I ever used. Off the tee though Bridgestone's have always been better for me. The new B XS comes closest to Pro Vx1 green side wise than any other B stone I used over last 8 years. They do feel softer but reality is Titleist wins greens. Off the tee B XS wins. Happy dropping $50 a dozen on either too.

5 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

It also tends to adds spin, which can be good or can be bad.....depends who you are and if ratio of side spin is too high.

I'm a Pro Vx1 fan. 100 feet in, best ball I ever used. Off the tee though Bridgestone's have always been better for me. The new B XS comes closest to Pro Vx1 green side wise than any other B stone I used over last 8 years. They do feel softer but reality is Titleist wins greens. Off the tee B XS wins. Happy dropping $50 a dozen on either too.

Explain the left dash then?

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x