2021 Dow Great Lakes Invitational Team event

KBong

I thought A Lim Kim and Yealimi Noh would make a good team, but @KBongthought otherwise.  We now know who's all wet!

On 7/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, KBong said:

I'm shocked....LOL...more FAWNING over Yealimi.

LMAO.....ALK after 3 rds is 2 over on the par 5's....she was never a dominator on the KLPGA.

There is a weather delay...but so far .....Noh has the highest score going in rd 4.....+6.

With some really weak pairings next week....the above 2 POSERS might still finish in the bottom 2/3's at the DOW.

spacer.png

On 7/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, 18majors said:

Yealimi Noh can't pick a better partner than A Lim Kim for next week!

A Lim shot +6, the worst round of the day, to drop from #22 to #73.  That means things will only go up from here, including next week. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

Surprising that she's found a way to win 4 times, with a lack of total driving and no strength of distance or accuracy

I don't think she's that short.  He driving distance stats are probably skewed by missing fairways.  I think there were a few seasons 5+ years ago when she averaged 260+ off the tee (was actually something then).  She's probably entirely average at this point (31 years old) vs today's fields, but early/mid part of last decade I saw her hit balls for a while and they had a bit more zip than the other players of that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

My bet is she will be the top European player, because she has a total game.  Really consistent ball striking, good total driver who is long off the tee without a violent move (in balance), and her short game looks efficient.  I like the speed she rolls her putts, in that she doesn't try to jam the ball in the hole.

It would seem to be the case. Time will tell, Europe is certainly due for a star.

9 hours ago, KBong said:

Although it attracts out of state golfers and with no discounts for NM residents...at $225 green fee...IMO....it's a business model doomed to fail by the new owners...it's no Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Streamsong, etc.

Except for member play early in the day...the tee sheet looks near empty.

The 27 holes do look nice.

Seems like Pinion Hills is great value...but kinda out of the way in Farmington.

$725 is stupid cheap for an annual pass.

Pinon Hills is a great place. In fact, I'm going there next Thursday. My former club pro is GM there. It is a must play for whomever is close to that area.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

7 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Matilda Castren has a 3 shot lead after the third round on the European Tour.  She's going to will her way onto that Euro team.

I also noticed that the talented Thai player, Atthaya Thitikul is on that leaderboard 4 shots back.  Hopefully she can find a way onto the big stage soon.  It was a heart wrencher that she wasn't able to close out that event in Thailand to earn her LPGA card

3rd round is the final round. Although I'm glad Castren won as she would be a great asset to European Solheim Cup team but I was rooting for Diksha Dagar, a hearing impaired golfer that has done nicely.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I don't think she's that short.  He driving distance stats are probably skewed by missing fairways.  I think there were a few seasons 5+ years ago when she averaged 260+ off the tee (was actually something then).  She's probably entirely average at this point (31 years old) vs today's fields, but early/mid part of last decade I saw her hit balls for a while and they had a bit more zip than the other players of that time.

My understanding is that they don't count a drive for the distance stats, unless it hits the fairway.

You're not saying that 31 years old is in the area where you would expect a tour player to lose speed/distance, are you?

Edited by Cwebb

3 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

It would seem to be the case. Time will tell, Europe is certainly due for a star.

It will be interesting, she seems to have most of what is needed.

My prediction is Leona Maguire -she'll just find a way to get it done.

Bet she was disappointed/unhappy/seething/furious (take your pick) that Patty couldn't get whatever paperwork done so their team had to withdraw, I suspect that we won't see that partnership again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

My understanding is that they don't count a drive for the distance stats, unless it hits the fairway.

You're not saying that 31 years old is in the area where you would expect a tour player to lose speed/distance, are you?

I'm pretty sure they count all drives, whether they hit the rough or fairway.  If you look at the average per round for some of the players, every now and then it is so short that I think it can only be explained by crappy contact and no roll.

On the second point, what I mean is even if she was or is (adjusted for fairways hit) upper 250s/260, there's not much your going to do at this point to hit it farther.   And 258 is basically the median distance now.  So not that she's lost speed, but even if she's maintained her speed she's lost ground to the tour.  For example, look at Minjee Lee.  In 2015 she was hitting it ~260 and it was a pretty good combo of distance and accuracy.  Now, she's hitting in farther nominally but her distance rank is lower.

• Like 2

I checked out the driving stats pre this tournament and there was only 5 yards between 40th and 80th places in driving distance.

Sure you'd like the extra 5 yards, but it isn't crucial, certainly not if it causes other issues like a significant drop in accuracy.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Congrats to the sisters! But congrats to the field for producing some entertaining golf. I love LPGA, and what it's becoming.

What is with the Suwannapura/Clanton team in this format? Not to be too harsh on Clanton, but I thought Jasmine/Thidapa was the driving force again. She loves this course, and it loves her back!

Getting to see Minjee up close, the reason why she is not contending seems painfully obvious - it's the putter. And it's certain clutch 8-20 foot birdie opportunities that she isn't converting. In normal competition this then refers pressure onto every other aspect of her game. But solo 5th with Yuka was a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Congrats to the sisters! But congrats to the field for producing some entertaining golf. I love LPGA, and what it's becoming.

What is with the Suwannapura/Clanton team in this format? Not to be too harsh on Clanton, but I thought Jasmine/Thidapa was the driving force again. She loves this course, and it loves her back!

Getting to see Minjee up close, the reason why she is not contending seems painfully obvious - it's the putter. And it's certain clutch 8-20 foot birdie opportunities that she isn't converting. In normal competition this then refers pressure onto every other aspect of her game. But solo 5th with Yuka was a step in the right direction.

Did you attend the Dow?

8 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

@KBong could have been paired with Yealimi, and you would have thought it was a good pairing. 

I believe for quite a while....I was likely one of very few on WRX members who had seen Noh play golf....I think later.... maybe @Argonne69 saw Noh play as an invite at one of the LPGA events where Arg drove to?????

I saw Yealimi win the 2018 Cdn Women's Am at Marine Drive.

An all Korean final group....Noh, Dylan Kim and Gina Kim (Duke).

Dylan bogey'd the final hole...she was crying afterwards.

It looked like a NCAA tournament...tons of university golf bags....gals who didn't have a college bag were often players who were too young to attend university.

I saw Kupcho...but she looked BORING...so I only saw her hit one drive....she was the fav to win...she lit it up in rd 1...but faded.

She was the defending champ...she won the Cdn Women's Am in 2017 at Cutten Fields...I used to be a member at Cutten in 85 & 86.

Brooke, Ariya, Sydnee Michaels, Rebecca Lee Bentham, etc, etc have all been Cdn Women's Am champs.

In 1920 & 1934....Alexa Stirling won.....neat

In 1923 & 1924....Glenna Collet-Vare won....the GCV trophy was won by Rose Zhang today...USGA Jr. Girls 2021 champ.

I assume the LPGA's Vare trophy is also named after her too. 

Lots of LPGA pros played at Marine Drive....Jaclyn Lee, Hayley Moore, Bianca, Saso, Patty T, etc etc.

• Like 1

There're causes for concern about both Lydia and Brooke based on their last five tournaments:

Lydia                   T44 (T22 for team play is the equivalent of T44), T52, T61, T9, T35

Brooke                T34, T37, T21, T9, T35

Their recent records not only pales in comparison with Nelly; but also to new stars like Patty Tavatanakit or Matilda Castren.

11 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I think there were a few seasons 5+ years ago when she averaged 260+ off the tee (was actually something then). 

Mi Jung Hur's career year was 2019, when she won twice.

She averaged 264.52 yards off the tee, and was #38 in driving distance that year.

Edited by 18majors

3 hours ago, KBong said:

I believe for quite a while....I was likely one of very few on WRX members who had seen Noh play golf....I think later.... maybe @Argonne69 saw Noh play as an invite at one of the LPGA events where Arg drove to?????

I saw Yealimi win the 2018 Cdn Women's Am at Marine Drive.

An all Korean final group....Noh, Dylan Kim and Gina Kim (Duke).

Dylan bogey'd the final hole...she was crying afterwards.

It looked like a NCAA tournament...tons of university golf bags....gals who didn't have a college bag were often players who were too young to attend university.

I saw Kupcho...but she looked BORING...so I only saw her hit one drive....she was the fav to win...she lit it up in rd 1...but faded.

She was the defending champ...she won the Cdn Women's Am in 2017 at Cutten Fields...I used to be a member at Cutten in 85 & 86.

Brooke, Ariya, Sydnee Michaels, Rebecca Lee Bentham, etc, etc have all been Cdn Women's Am champs.

In 1920 & 1934....Alexa Stirling won.....neat

In 1923 & 1924....Glenna Collet-Vare won....the GCV trophy was won by Rose Zhang today...USGA Jr. Girls 2021 champ.

I assume the LPGA's Vare trophy is also named after her too. 

Lots of LPGA pros played at Marine Drive....Jaclyn Lee, Hayley Moore, Bianca, Saso, Patty T, etc etc.

Yeah, I followed Yealimi for a few holes at Thornberry Creek in 2019. She opened with a 63 and 65, and wound up T6 after weekend rounds of 69 and 68.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I'm pretty sure they count all drives, whether they hit the rough or fairway.  If you look at the average per round for some of the players, every now and then it is so short that I think it can only be explained by crappy contact and no roll.

On the second point, what I mean is even if she was or is (adjusted for fairways hit) upper 250s/260, there's not much your going to do at this point to hit it farther.   And 258 is basically the median distance now.  So not that she's lost speed, but even if she's maintained her speed she's lost ground to the tour.  For example, look at Minjee Lee.  In 2015 she was hitting it ~260 and it was a pretty good combo of distance and accuracy.  Now, she's hitting in farther nominally but her distance rank is lower.

Yes, you're correct. Since the driving average stat is based on only two holes per round, they use the two drives whether they're in the fairway or not. 'Definitely skews the numbers.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Big congrats to M&M. A pair of 59s is crazy, even for best ball.  'Nice to see Moriya pick up that 2nd win. We didn't get to see every shot, but I sense that Moriya contributed more than 50% to this win. It's interesting to see how the team play frees up some players to be more aggressive on their putts when they know that they don't have to worry about the comeback putt. With her 12th LPGA victory, Ariya joins Sei Young at #44 on the all-time LPGA winners list. I was watching the USGA Girl's Junior, and they showed highlights of her victory in 2011 with Mo on her bag. 

Impressive title defense by Jasmine and Cydney. Jasmine was on fire late in the round, but there was just no stopping May and Moriya. Cydney is 20th in driving distance (vs. Jasmine at 128th). She can really get the ball out there. Her putting is her weak spot.

Nice to see the rookies Yealimi and A Lim do well. They haven't had much to cheer about so far this season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

I've no ideas about Dylan or Gina, but Yealimi carries American Flag.

Gina  and Dylan Kim definitely carry the American flag (though Dylan isn't from Duke)... I've followed the dukies for a while now - hence why I know Jaravee too ☺︎... (but certainly didn't like to follow Blumenhurst, haha)

will also not forget how Wildcats lost to slow playing Gina Kim and her troops in final 4 of NCAA 2019... 😛 

needless to say, never liked Duke nor Laetnner... but that's a diff sport...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Big congrats to M&M. A pair of 59s is crazy, even for best ball.  'Nice to see Moriya pick up that 2nd win. We didn't get to see every shot, but I sense that Moriya contributed more than 50% to this win. It's interesting to see how the team play frees up some players to be more aggressive on their putts when they know that they don't have to worry about the comeback putt. With her 12th LPGA victory, Ariya joins Sei Young at #44 on the all-time LPGA winners list. I was watching the USGA Girl's Junior, and they showed highlights of her victory in 2011 with Mo on her bag. 

Impressive title defense by Jasmine and Cydney. Jasmine was on fire late in the round, but there was just no stopping May and Moriya. Cydney is 20th in driving distance (vs. Jasmine at 128th). She can really get the ball out there. Her putting is her weak spot.

Nice to see the rookies Yealimi and A Lim do well. They haven't had much to cheer about so far this season.

I'm definitely happy to see ALK find some "success"...

i recall discussing with @18majorson this board (2020 US open thread if i remember right) whether she should take immediate LPGA membership to which he said no and that ALK should take the $ and run ☺︎   I thought I saw something in ALK then, whether it be the "fire", flair, drives, etc... (mind you I don't follow KLPGA at all so it was only in round 1 - more like crapshoot haha).  

Personally, I would always take the immediate membership, even if it's a flop thereafter... Hinako is probably ruing such decision.  

Needless to say, ALK has some "time" so she can be a "later" bloomer if need be. Same with yuka (though I doubt yuka will struggle).  Bianca, Andrea, etc don't have that luxury and it's go time for them now... 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 18majors said:

Bummer, different announcers at CBS this afternoon

The management at CBS are fools too....Paige should have been benched with Judy allowed to work.

It would be great for Golf Channel to get Dottie, Laura Davies and Grace Park to cover the LPGA....but the odds are very very low.