2021 Dow Great Lakes Invitational Team event

KBong

9 minutes ago, KBong said:

Golf Channel to get Dottie

I treasure Dottie and enjoy her commentary tremendously.  But why does she stay as a long term second banana at CBS when she could be the Johnny Miller of LPGA coverage?  It may have to do with the limited budget at the Golf Channel, but NBC doesn't have the same problem.

If I were her, I'd bet my money with the rising LPGA against the stagnant PGA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I treasure Dottie and enjoy her commentary tremendously.  But why does she stay as a long term second banana at CBS when she could be the Johnny Miller of LPGA coverage?  It may have to do with the limited budget at the Golf Channel, but NBC doesn't have the same problem.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, KBong said:

The Smiling Cinderella, Shibuno, after she won the 2019 WBO.

Now she's not doing well on the JLPGA..she just trunk slammed this week and didn't qualify for the Japanese Olympic team...she's still a big draw in Japan...but if she doesn't start winning soon....she'll be a 'has been".

In fairness she has made some swing changes to supposedly bring more consistency which may or may not work out.

She seems to be trying to swing flatter which often ends up with the club being trapped behind her,she was brilliant in 2019 and still has a great short game and putting,I hope she gets it back soon and regardless of all that she still is a Major Champion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, charliefarleigh said:

In fairness she has made some swing changes to supposedly bring more consistency which may or may not work out.

She seems to be trying to swing flatter which often ends up with the club being trapped behind her,she was brilliant in 2019 and still has a great short game and putting,I hope she gets it back soon and regardless of all that she still is a Major Champion.

I don't forget that she was in contention to even win the 2020 USWO even with all her "struggles" lately...  she's still Hinako, a major champion! ☺︎

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, charliefarleigh said:

I would say her swing was already pretty flat?  Not sure if it's the case with her but often this (flatter) results in a shorter window to square up the face at impact and it is more dependent on great timing.

Perhaps she would have qualified for the Olympics had she just kept playing JLPGA.  Obviously she wants to go to LPGA (end game) but finishing poorly there is worse than the limited points from winning in Japan...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

He's a litigous one ... throwing around "libel lawsuit" and other terms based on a misunderstanding of tort law. 😉

It's in Toronto...so I don't know if you are following the situation.

Talking about litigious (Barry), it's crazy how Barry & Honey Sherman's murder has yet to be solved....so many recourses put forth to solve it.

Someone really wanted Barry gone and hired REAL pros to execute them w/o a trace.

I found a golf ball with an Apotex logo....I think I still have it somewhere.

10 hours ago, charliefarleigh said:

she was brilliant in 2019 and still has a great short game and putting,

IMO....I don't think Shibuno's short game is that great.

Her swing is very 'loose'.

I REALLY like Shibuno...but I think her 2019 WBO was lightening in a bottle....but a win is a win.

I would love for her to be a weekly contender on the LPGA...but I'm not holding my breath.

5 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Some folks think 26 is old and past their prime for the ladies in this sport. 

Lol. Don't tell Inbee that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Trying to see if the Ashok/Anannarukarn pairs only bogey was on the final hole. It appears the lpga leaderboard is no longer functioning for the Dow final results. The golf channel leaderboard seems decent. Does anyone here use it while tournaments are being played?

It indeed was their only bogey.  A costly one, since they both need every 'point' they can get

5 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Trying to see if the Ashok/Anannarukarn pairs only bogey was on the final hole. It appears the lpga leaderboard is no longer functioning for the Dow final results. The golf channel leaderboard seems decent. Does anyone here use it while tournaments are being played?

I used Golf Channel scoreboard for Marathon because lpga.com was erratic.

By the way, I've just checked, Dow leaderboard at lpga.com is perfectly OK and useable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

It indeed was their only bogey.  A costly one, since they both need every 'point' they can get

They'd be solo third, they would get the same CME points as tied third.  However, they would've gotten bigger checks.

The beneficiary of both CME points and money is the other team; who moved from solo fourth to tied third.

Edited by 18majors

2 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Good point.  She is just entering her prime in mid 20's, as has been the case with most players through history

Good point. We tend to get caught up in the teen sensations, but the majority of top players peak later. Annika was 27 during her peak season. Cristie was 33. Ai Miyazato was 25 when she got to #1. Stacy was 28. Inbee was 25. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Good point. We tend to get caught up in the teen sensations, but the majority of top players peak later. Annika was 27 during her peak season. Cristie was 33. Ai Miyazato was 25 when she got to #1. Stacy was 28. Inbee was 25. 

The only reason to pick a teen as a favorite is because it's difficult to do.  And, it's more rewarding when it pans out. 

There is something poetic about following a player from 17-18 to 32-33 as I'm doing it with Nelly Korda now; and Yealimi Noh and Rose Zhang in the immediate future.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

True but a different timeframe.  Distance/physical make up was largely stable then; it's not now.  And distance isn't everything - you still need to putt.  But 20 more yards off the tee is three less clubs into the green, and you can usually play out of the rough better.  Look at Lydia; 20 years ago here mid-teens game would have lasted 20 years.  Now, she's had to reinvent herself and the results are highly dependent on course setup / 14 tee shots per round.  Until the athletic make up of the players stabilizes there will be a lot few players over 30 that are quite successful compared to the past.

1 minute ago, agolf1 said:

True but a different timeframe.  Distance/physical make up was largely stable then; it's not now.  And distance isn't everything - you still need to putt.  But 20 more yards off the tee is three less clubs into the green, and you can usually play out of the rough better.  Look at Lydia; 20 years ago here mid-teens game would have lasted 20 years.  Now, she's had to reinvent herself and the results are highly dependent on course setup / 14 tee shots per round.  Until the athletic make up of the players stabilizes there will be a lot few players over 30 that are quite successful compared to the past.

There has always been more powerful "more physical" players, on every tour, in every era.  20 more yards off the tee is not 3 clubs less, unless you have only about a 7 yard gap between clubs,... which no tour player has.

Lydia Ko didn't have to go to David Leadbetter to change her swing.  She chose to,...and many knew it a was bad idea.  Had she just played her game that got her there, she would be in a better place now, with more wins

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

There has always been more powerful "more physical" players, on every tour, in every era.  20 more yards off the tee is not 3 clubs less, unless you have only about a 7 yard gap between clubs,... which no tour player has.

Lydia Ko didn't have to go to David Leadbetter to change her swing.  She chose to,...and many knew it a was bad idea.  Had she just played her game that got her there, she would be in a better place now, with more wins

This is moronic.  They player hitting it 20 yards further off the tee hits her irons are lot farther too genius. 425 yard hole.  275 off the tee = 150 in.  255 off the tee = 170 in.  Could easily be a 9-iron vs. 6-iron.

Your missing the point.  When the distance is stable, it's easier for players to compete with their same game as they get older.  If the median driving distance stabilizes at 258, people that can play now will be able to play when they are 30+.  But if it keeps moving up not all but many of them will be gone.

People forget how much Lydia won with Leadbetter.  He's not the only thing that screwed up her game.  Inbee has proved you don't need to hit it far.  Maybe Lydia could have taken that strategy too.

• Haha 1