2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Any high-end putters built for “slight-arc” putting strokes?

BallerNate

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

I have looked at that capto system a little online... I know the guy I used for my sam fitting now uses capto as well... maybe there is something to this lol

There is a local guy that has capto I thought about going in to see him... Problem is I went in for a iron fittting and I was not that happy... I love all the data points that these things spit out... The quintic does give ball roll and that is really interesting... Anything is better then walking in to the local golf store and purchasing a putter... Curious to follow your journey...

Thanks for the insights…really interesting stuff. This is all new to me, so very curious to see where this all goes too, Lol! 

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Definitely at your length you'll need to factor in head weight/swing weight and when I build my last putter John and I spent 20-30min just cutting, measuring, weighing, dry fitting and repeating until we got to a length and setup that was close to my gamer. Now I walked in with my putter in pieces and we could do that.

In your case you'll have your current putter but if you like 'x' about it but want to change 'y' or 'z' he can suggest other putters for that in the fitting, test it and give you a write up of what you need in a putter. But at 36" I don't know what they have but can use a 35" putter at the swing weight you need.

The other coach you're talking about I know exactly who you're talking about and he's an ambassador for a brand called T-Squared. Not saying you have to buy one of their putters but their fitting set up is modular so he can build you hundreds of setups and find what you want.

Great stuff Matt, appreciate the insights. Yeah, when I tested out the EVNROLL ER 1.2 in the store, I absolutely loved the weight and the feel and roll off the face.

I had no idea how much heavier it would feel once we put the 2” extension in, and it dramatically changed all aspects of the performance of the putter and threw off my stroke completely.

After selling the ER 1.2 I went back to my gamer, the TP Collection Soto, but honestly I’m still recovering and my putting hasn’t been the same since.

I think you guys are right about the value of getting a good putter fitting, and especially with my height and unique putting stroke I’m really interested to see what the best fit will be.

Just checked out the T-Squared website, and I’d be open to those for sure…very sharp looking and well made putters. I don’t really care about brand, it’s all about best fit, what fits my eye, and what’s going to roll the most consistent putts!

WITB on WRX

Flow neck is key for arc strokes

1.5 Scotty etc

see below

4CEF86B6-5C89-477A-8603-7E18B0F12A67.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Flow neck is key for arc strokes

1.5 Scotty etc

see below

4CEF86B6-5C89-477A-8603-7E18B0F12A67.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very interesting…didn’t know that. Thought plumbers neck was better…go figure!

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

I had no idea how much heavier it would feel once we put the 2” extension in, and it dramatically changed all aspects of the performance of the putter and threw off my stroke completely.

What about a countercore superstroke grip..does that not take some head weight away and put it more in the hands.. That is what I use with my er7

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

What about a countercore superstroke grip..does that not take some head weight away and put it more in the hands.. That is what I use with my er7

That’s the grip that the guy I bought the putter from had on it. Unfortunately when I got it extended from 34” to 36” they had to remove the grip, and I put on my go-to Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny Pistol, which definitely wasn’t a fit with the ER 1.2

WITB on WRX

Did some more research on local putter fittings and looks like TXG and Modern Golf both use Quintic, and the guy I reached out to that uses Capto looks like more of a coach than a fitter.

I think the one I’ll end up going to will be TXG because I had a great experience with them for my Driver fitting a couple of months ago, and they’ll probably have access to more products than the other two.

• Like 2

WITB on WRX

14 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I live in the Toronto, Ontario area…we’re very lucky to have the top fitters in Canada here, TXG and Modern Golf.

I did a search for SAM locations though, and the person who worked with SAM in the past upgraded to the Capto system and works with the PGA of Canada.

I did a Driver fitting with TXG, an Iron fitting at Modern Golf, and I’m sure the coach from PGA Canada would be very good also…we’ll see who can fit me in!

Ooo you can get around the kool guys. Yeah you’ll probably be in good hands, I’m not up on the Capto system but if it’s similar to SAM putt lab then I’m sure you’ll see what you need just like the other fittings. 

• Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

5 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Did some more research on local putter fittings and looks like TXG and Modern Golf both use Quintic, and the guy I reached out to that uses Capto looks like more of a coach than a fitter.

I think the one I’ll end up going to will be TXG because I had a great experience with them for my Driver fitting a couple of months ago, and they’ll probably have access to more products than the other two.

Lucky u.. West Coast here and it's a bit far.. for me to travel for a fitting 

Let us know how u make out.. I keep reading all the comments and now I want to try out a Quintic lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

Ooo you can get around the kool guys. Yeah you’ll probably be in good hands, I’m not up on the Capto system but if it’s similar to SAM putt lab then I’m sure you’ll see what you need just like the other fittings. 

2 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Lucky u.. West Coast here and it's a bit far.. for me to travel for a fitting 

Let us know how u make out.. I keep reading all the comments and now I want to try out a Quintic lol

Yeah, definitely very lucky to have the options that we have in Toronto! Hopefully there’s not too long of a waiting list, but the season is wrapping up in the next couple of weeks, so not a huge rush.

Will just get professional feedback, get the right putter with the right specs, practice with it all Winter, and be ready to drop more Eagle and Birdie putts next season!!

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

Being fit on quintic or Sam is super helpful.   I go in at the beginning of every season and get my specs checked.  If anything needs adjusted my guy adjusts all of them on the spot while I wait. Knowing what you have is the correct loft / lie and length just helps eliminate variables.   Only bad part is everytime you get a new putter you’ll have to get it adjusted 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 hours ago, Phabs said:

Being fit on quintic or Sam is super helpful.   I go in at the beginning of every season and gave my specs checked.  If anything needs adjusted my guy adjusts all of them on the spot while I wait. Knowing what you have is the correct loft / lie and length just helps eliminate variables.   Only bad part is everytime you get a new putter you’ll have to get it adjusted 

Great stuff, good to know…thanks for the feedback! I had no idea putter fittings were so important, but after getting these perspectives from all of you guys, it makes total sense.

WITB on WRX

On 10/30/2021 at 9:45 PM, BallerNate said:

Very interesting…didn’t know that. Thought plumbers neck was better…go figure!

In theory. The more you arch it the more the toe hang.  I arch it quite a bit and do better with a plumber.  In the end find what works. For you, there are no hard rules, just guidelines 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

14 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

In theory. The more you arch it the more the toe hang.  I arch it quite a bit and do better with a plumber.  In the end find what works. For you, there are no hard rules, just guidelines 

And I have a pretty square face and not much arch in my stroke yet I use flow necks with more toe hang. This is exactly why fittings are key. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

And I have a pretty square face and not much arch in my stroke yet I use flow necks with more toe hang. This is exactly why fittings are key. 

Very interesting. I’ve had the most success with blade putters with plumbers neck, but have never actually tried a flowneck putter.

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

Very interesting. I’ve had the most success with blade putters with plumbers neck, but have never actually tried a flowneck putter.

I can putt with about any putter that isn't face balanced, and I HATE those big fat grips people use now days......I just like them with some toe hang and a 35" shaft and I am good.  When I have tried to putt with a face balanced putter I can putt pretty good for awhile, especially mid range putts, but then I start pull jerking the short ones and I am done.  

In fact I have used putters from rental sets, or a putter borrowed from a buddy when I left mine at home and putted pretty good, but they were all plumbers or flow necks.  I putted great for several years with a Scotty Bullseye, and for a bit years ago with a heel shafted MacGregor blade, but keep coming back to the Anser style.  Sometimes it's nice to have options incase one just looks better for you one day.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

I can putt with about any putter that isn't face balanced, and I HATE those big fat grips people use now days......I just like them with some toe hang and a 35" shaft and I am good.  When I have tried to putt with a face balanced putter I can putt pretty good for awhile, especially mid range putts, but then I start pull jerking the short ones and I am done.  

In fact I have used putters from rental sets, or a putter borrowed from a buddy when I left mine at home and putted pretty good, but they were all plumbers or flow necks.  I putted great for several years with a Scotty Bullseye, and for a bit years ago with a heel shafted MacGregor blade, but keep coming back to the Anser style.  Sometimes it's nice to have options incase one just looks better for you one day.  

Makes sense. Yeah, I could probably use any putter too, but I guess it’s more a question of what’s most optimal for your stroke and what will give you the best chance of a repeatable and consistent roll. 

I actually roll my TM TP Collection Soto pretty well overall, it’s more a question of what are the ideal specs for my size and stroke, and can I get a putter that will be even better and more consistent.

WITB on WRX

Man, got lucky…putter fitting at TXG booked for tomorrow morning!! 🎉🎉

• Like 2

WITB on WRX

32 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Man, got lucky…putter fitting at TXG booked for tomorrow morning!! 🎉🎉

how is that even possible neil degrasse tyson GIF by StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson

And with who? 

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

how is that even possible neil degrasse tyson GIF by StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson

And with who? 

Haha!! Called today, and looks like they had a cancellation tomorrow! My fitting is with Dean who also did my Driver fitting! 

WITB on WRX

29 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Nice!!!!! 

Let us know how u make out 

Thanks, I’ll keep you guys posted for sure!

WITB on WRX

40 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Haha!! Called today, and looks like they had a cancellation tomorrow! My fitting is with Dean who also did my Driver fitting! 

Nice nothing wrong with a familiar fitter and do let us know how it goes.

Lefty - WITB Thread

12 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Nice nothing wrong with a familiar fitter and do let us know how it goes.

For sure, I’ll keep you guys posted. Looking forward to getting in-depth data and figuring out the best putter for my game…definitely exciting!

WITB on WRX

Great experience today at TXG for my first ever putter fitting! Thanks again to all you guys for the advice!

It turns out I don’t have as much arc in my stroke as I thought, but blade putters with a good amount of toe hang and plumbers neck still had the best results for me (at 36” w/ similar specs to my current gamer).

In fact, my gamer, the TM TP Collection Soto, performed close to the best overall…the only putter that was only slightly better was the Scotty Cameron Special Select 2, which produced the best stroke, roll, and results!

I tested out an Odyssey White Hot OG 1 at my local shop that felt really good also, both with the stock shaft and the Stroke Lab shaft. A couple of sales starting tomorrow, so will decide then what to pull the trigger on once I see the sale prices in the morning.

69C131D7-DFB4-4D96-A6C9-6B69D5949995.jpeg

F3C8F9E0-DA0A-4BEF-9B48-5B4BC6231769.jpeg

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

WITB on WRX

Any spec changes needed for you putter or no? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Any spec changes needed for you putter or no? 

Nope, it turns out the specs for my gamer were dead-on and my fitter was adjusting the Scotty Newport 2 to match the Soto specs.

Once he bent it slightly upright, the Scotty rolled just a little more consistently and rolled 5-6 in a row from 20 feet (or whatever the distance was), and the feel off the face was slightly better.

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

Nope, it turns out the specs for my gamer were dead-on and my fitter was adjusting the Scotty Newport 2 to match the Soto specs.

Once he bent it slightly upright, the Scotty rolled just a little more consistently and rolled 5-6 in a row from 20 feet (or whatever the distance was), and the feel off the face was slightly better.

Sounds like you'll be hunting for a Scotty soon.

Did you test the Mizuno? Bettinardi? Others? Or was content with what you tested? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

43 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Sounds like you'll be hunting for a Scotty soon.

Did you test the Mizuno? Bettinardi? Others? Or was content with what you tested? 

Haha…yup!

I went into totally open-minded about brands and putter styles, and promised myself I would just go with whatever got the best results. To be totally honest, I have a little bit of a Titleist and Scotty bias because I’m not a fan of the elitist image etc, but if that rolls the most putts for me then I’ll get over it! 😎

WITB on WRX