Arg's Travel Log

Just pulled into West Palm Beach. Scenery has been rather bland up to this point. No surprise. The route will now turn inland, heading to Sebring, Winter Haven, Kissimmee, Orlando, and Winter Park before heading towards Jacksonville. Hmmm, maybe hop off at Winter Park and play a round at Southern Dunes. Excellent course, but I really don't like playing with rental clubs. Lol. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Woke up early this morning and checked my email. A message from Amtrak was actually good news, as my bid for a sleeper car on the Capital Limited was accepted. I bid on a roomette, and as a backup I also bid on a full bedroom. I didn't get the roomette, but for $40 more I got a full bedroom. Not cheap at $265 for the upgrade, but it's still much cheaper than the advertised fare when I booked the coach ticket. It'll be nice to sleep on a flat surface in a dark room. I've slept in coach once before, and while the large reclining seat is fine, the constant din of passengers getting on and off the train at stops during the night doesn't allow for a good night's sleep. 

Sitting in the Miami station waiting to board. It's been a while since I took a taxi. Wow. $26 to travel 3 miles from the hotel to the station. Mind you it took 20 minutes in heavy morning traffic, but still. 

Not sure if the Silver Meteor serves breakfast as we pull out of Miami at 8:10 am, but at least I grabbed a muffin and a banana at the hotel for a morning snack. 

All aboard. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hear they loaded up the dining car with top shelf BBQ from one of the best barbecue joints in Miami.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Lol. Oink. I forgot that I usually put on a couple of pounds on these train trips. They're basically land cruises. Sit all day staring out the window, and eating three meals a day. Not quite the pig fest of a buffet on a cruise ship, but still plenty of calories with practically no exercise. Looking forward to walking the Mall tomorrow if the weather allows. Looks like storms will roll in around 2 pm. Found a handful of brewpubs in DC that I'll check out on the trip back to Union Station. 

spacer.png

Just pulled into Kissimmee for a brief stop, and then on to Orlando. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Arg - just curious, was this just a trip to get out of the house and to keep moving around?  if so, great idea and great pictures of DC.  I grew up near Annapolis and have not been to DC in prob 35 yrs.  Brings back memories.  Hope you are feeling better.  BTW - 2 Golden Monkey's have the same effect as 2 Alieve's!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, tw422 said:

Arg - just curious, was this just a trip to get out of the house and to keep moving around?  if so, great idea and great pictures of DC.  I grew up near Annapolis and have not been to DC in prob 35 yrs.  Brings back memories.  Hope you are feeling better.  BTW - 2 Golden Monkey's have the same effect as 2 Alieve's!

Yeah, I wanted to get out of the house, but I also wanted to knock off my last Amtrak long distance route. Figured this downtime would be ideal. I've ridden every one except for the Silver Meteor/Star between Miami and DC. The Silver Star takes a slightly different route, but still spends most of the daylight hours traversing the same route through Florida as the Meteor. Tonight's trip on the Capital Limited will be my 42nd Amtrak trip. 

The are a handful of regional Amtrak routes that I haven't taken, e.g. Missouri River Runner (St Louis - KC), and hopefully I'll check them off at some point. 

I've been to DC dozens of times, so I skipped the museums on this trip. My first job out of college had be traveling to DC a couple times a month. It was a beautiful day, so I simply wanted to get a few miles in walking. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, tw422 said:

Just don't take them together!

• Like 1

Black gold. Texas tea. Lol. A mighty boozy barrel aged imperial stout at District Chop House and Brewery. Their website showed a Belgian Strong Ale, but of course they don't keep it updated. The 10W-40 stout is a very nice substitute. 

spacer.png

The Google Maps reviews showed fabulous photos of their Colossal Onion Rings, but I'll take a pass at $18. Oy. The $12 stout will have to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, I wanted to get out of the house, but I also wanted to knock off my last Amtrak long distance route. Figured this downtime would be ideal. I've ridden every one except for the Silver Meteor/Star between Miami and DC. The Silver Star takes a slightly different route, but still spends most of the daylight hours traversing the same route through Florida as the Meteor. Tonight's trip on the Capital Limited will be my 42nd Amtrak trip. 

The are a handful of regional Amtrak routes that I haven't taken, e.g. Missouri River Runner (St Louis - KC), and hopefully I'll check them off at some point. 

I've been to DC dozens of times, so I skipped the museums on this trip. My first job out of college had be traveling to DC a couple times a month. It was a beautiful day, so I simply wanted to get a few miles in walking. 

I did an internship in DC and went to the Mall every weekend.  Great and free museums! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevopagolf said:

I did an internship in DC and went to the Mall every weekend.  Great and free museums! 

Washington DC may not be a great town to live in, but it's a heck of a tourist town. Neo classical government buildings, museums galore, and a decent restaurant scene within a few blocks of the Mall. Public transportation makes getting around a breeze. I used to struggle with Chicago's El, but could navigate the Metro with no problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, Argonne69 said:

Washington DC may not be a great town to live in, but it's a heck of a tourist town. Neo classical government buildings, museums galore, and a decent restaurant scene within a few blocks of the Mall. Public transportation makes getting around a breeze. I used to struggle with Chicago's El, but could navigate the Metro with no problem. 

I lived on the metro when I was there.  Didn't have a car!  Very clean very easy.  Lived across from the national catherdral on the corner of Wisconsin and Massachusetts.  Was a poor college student but still loved it.  

Now housing in DC is almost as expensive as NY.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevopagolf said:

I lived on the metro when I was there.  Didn't have a car!  Very clean very easy.  Lived across from the national catherdral on the corner of Wisconsin and Massachusetts.  Was a poor college student but still loved it.  

Now housing in DC is almost as expensive as NY.  

I used to fly into National, now Reagan, on a regular basis. Hop on the Metro to the Pentagon, or head to Rosslyn for an overnight stay in Arlington. Occasionally we'd stay in Crystal City. The Metro layout just makes sense. The magnetic fare cards made it easy to get around. Just put a few bucks on the card, and the readers did the rest. The two level transfer stations made it easy to switch lines. 

This is going to be enjoyable. It's been years since I had a full bedroom. Plenty of elbow room and a private toilet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Have lived here for over 25 years now and we definitely take a lot of this stuff for granted sometimes. There's a reason people vacation here from all over the world.

And yes Hill Country BBQ is one of the best in the entire tri state area, glad you had a chance to get there!

• Like 2

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Well, made a little headway into planning for the next phase of the journey. 'Booked three nights in Indy, 3 nights in Cincinnati, and 4 nights in Columbus. I'm planning to play PFAU and Heartland Crossing next week. 

Sketched out a rough schedule for the spring, summer, and fall. I was worried that I might run out of good weather for the northern stops, but it looks like I'll be able to add a few days here and there, and/or visit a few more cities. I'd like to be down in Oklahoma by mid October so I can swing through Albuquerque before heading to Las Cruces and Tucson in November.

• Like 4

Just now, stevopagolf said:

Planning a return trip through SE PA?  I might have a couple of sleepers for you

No, skipping PA. Cincinnati, Columbus, and then Detroit. Definitely going to return to PA at some point in the future after I've settled down somewhere. Too much quality golf to stay away.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, Argonne69 said:

This is going to be enjoyable. It's been years since I had a full bedroom. Plenty of elbow room and a private toilet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice. I took an Amtrak trip in one of these private bedrooms 30+ years ago. Looks like the same basic layout I remember. Comfortable place to spend the inevitable random 6+ hour delays.

• Like 1

Just now, Bonneville85308 said:

Nice. I took an Amtrak trip in one of these private bedrooms 30+ years ago. Looks like the same basic layout I remember. Comfortable place to spend the inevitable random 6+ hour delays.

They look the same because the Superliner II equipment has been in service since the early 90's. I believe they were refurbished a few years back, but the general design remained unchanged.

Delays can be frustrating. My trip was relatively delay free, but recent equipment shortages have led to 12+ hour delays on some routes. Freight congestion is the biggest cause of delays. Amtrak is supposed to have priority, but the freight railroads pay little head to that. Sat in a couple of sidings watching a slow moving grain train pass.

29 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Booked golf for next week. PFAU on Wednesday, The Links at Heartland Crossing on Thursday, Neumann GC in Cincinnati on Saturday, and Sugar Ridge in Cincinnati on Sunday. The forecast looks decent at this point. 

I'll take a cart for these four rounds, and then dig out my ClicGear the following week in Columbus. Hopefully I'll be back to carrying the week after. 

Good to see you heading back out on the course!

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't know if it was the rust, the cold, the two club headwind, the crummy range balls, or a combination of all of the above, but the ball was going nowhere. Solid 7 iron might have traveled 140 yds. Gap wedge was coming up short of the 100 yd marker. 

Several years ago, playing football, I broke my wrist in 3 places and was placed in a knuckle to shoulder cast to immobilize everything.  After the cast came off 6 weeks later and a little physical therapy I returned to the golf range.  Learned rather quickly I couldn't hit the ball past the juniors, women and crappy male golfers.

Couple of months later I was back to near-normal.  And back on the course.

P.S. And I dreaded the first time I took a divot.  Expected everything to go flying apart...

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

What made you decide to play Neuman? Want a better walk and a tougher course? Sharon Woods is a better option! As far as Sugar Ridge, you could play Miami Whitewater Forest GC (in nearby Harrison, Ohio) which is a more enjoyable course and walk! Sugar Ridge would be a crappy walk IIRC! 

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)