Arg's Travel Log

On 5/1/2023 at 8:27 AM, Argonne69 said:

Bah. Looks like today is going to be a washout. Isn't today May 1st? Mother Nature apparently didn't get the memo. Showers all day with temps in the upper 30's and 15 to 25 mph northwest winds. Not my idea of fun for a first round back. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with yesterday's bucket of range balls before hitting PFAU on Wednesday. No pain today, and I didn't die in my sleep so I assume there's no internal bleeding from a ruptured incision. Nice. Lol.

We had a little dusting of snow yesterday with ice underneath. They call it May because it "May rain, May snow, May be 70*, May be20*.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

What made you decide to play Neuman? Want a better walk and a tougher course? Sharon Woods is a better option! As far as Sugar Ridge, you could play Miami Whitewater Forest GC (in nearby Harrison, Ohio) which is a more enjoyable course and walk! Sugar Ridge would be a crappy walk IIRC! 

I'll be riding for a week. No walking until Columbus. 

Sharon Woods and Miami Whitewater Forest are both booked solid until late morning this weekend. I'll give them a call on Friday to see if there are any cancelations. 

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Wish I would have known earlier you were heading to southwest Ohio.  Would have tried to line up a round for you but would have been in Dayton.   Unfortunately will be out of town.   If you are back through here give me a little notice.

Will be curious where you end up for brews and restaurants both in Cincinnati and Columbus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

9 hours ago, buckeyevalley said:

What courses do you have lined up in Columbus. 

Nothing booked at this point, but I'm looking at Players Club at Foxfire, GC of Dublin, Darby Creek, Champions, and Cumberland Trail. I played Virtues, Eaglesticks, and Cooks Creek on a previous visit.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Nothing booked at this point, but I'm looking at Players Club at Foxfire, GC of Dublin, Darby Creek, Champions, and Cumberland Trail. I played Virtues, Eaglesticks, and Cooks Creek on a previous visit.

Columbus is a pretty good area for public golf in my opinion.

I've really enjoyed Champions of Columbus the two times I've played there. But I suppose I'm somewhat of a Trent, Sr. fan.

Foxfire Players is fairly interesting, Darby and Cumberland must not be because I don't remember anything about them a couple decades after playing. 

• Like 1

GC of Dublin can be in terrible shape at times. Cumberland Trail is Ok as well. Northstar GC is pretty decent. Public golf in Columbus is miles behind the private courses for sure. Clover Valley IIRC was not bad at all either. Cooks Creek is NLE now!

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

North Star is always one that come up in these conversations but believe they could be fully private now.  Denison Golf Club is an excellent and enjoyable track.  Cumberland has made many improvements over the years.  Champions was always fun, but conditions subpar at times. Apple Valley (a little further north) is a favorite also. 

• Like 1

Disappointed in Bloomington's brewpub scene. For a big college town there are only a handful of breweries, and of course most of them are closed today, or open in the late afternoon. Decided to drive an hour north to Indy with a stop at Metazoa Brewing Company. 24 taps with a good mix of hoppy and malty brews. Enjoying a nice Speedy The 3-Legged Cat Belgian Tripel. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

It feels so good to be back on the course. Five weeks is much too long to not be swinging a club. Beautiful, crisp morning with plenty of sun and moderate winds. The PFAU Course at Indiana University is a wonderful course. It ranks #3 in the state on GolfWeek's Best in State list. Nice rolling terrain with a nice mix of holes. Long, short, left, and right. I really enjoyed the doglegs. Most had nasty turf on the inside corner, so a failed attempt at cutting the corner could be costly. The front is more parkland than prairie, but the back is primarily prairie style. Bunkering was mixed. Very well done on many holes, but rather light on others. They looked great, though. Natural with nasty eyebrows. No bodies of water, but there were a handful of crossing creeks, and a couple of red staked lateral areas. 

I thought it was fairly generous off the tee. However, misses were quite punishing. There was a narrow strip of rough on most holes, and it was deep enough to cover the ball. Beyond that was a mixed bag of junk. Some areas had extremely patchy rough with everything from bare dirt to 8 inches of grass. Total coin flip if you wandered in. It looks like there were plenty of native grass areas, but they were cut down. I imagine they're brutal in mid season. The wooded holes weren't extremely dense, but the collection of leaves pretty much guaranteed a lost ball. 

Approaches were mixed. Many of the greens were square, so there was plenty of safe space. However, most of the flags were positioned near the edges, and misses left very tricky short sided up and downs. A number of elevated greens had solid bunkering in front. Up and downs were tough. Good amount of slope and speedy greens made chips and pitches challenging out of the patchy rough. Putting was moderately difficult. Greens were speedy with more break than the eye could see, but if putting from below the hole it could be managed. 

Par 3s were excellent. Nice mix of lengths, and quite difficult. The three 5s were quite good. The 9th was a great risk/reward hole with numerous bunkers guarding the green. Short 4s were solid. A couple could be driven by a long hitter, and all had plenty of trouble. 

Conditions were generally good. Fairways were greening up nicely. Rough was thick. Bunkers were disappointing. Thin compacted sand. Greens were very nice, rolling a good 11. Unfortunately the tournament the past few days had a few too many nitwits that didn't know how to fix a ballmark. 

First round in five weeks, so I decided to ease back into the game. Lol. Played the White tees at 6153 yds on the par 71 layout. Still plenty of challenge at 71.2/140. Had my share of very good shots, buy a few too many ugly ones. Having trouble taking a divot, so thin to win was the order of the day. 11 bogies and one birdie. Highlight of the day was simply being out again. 

PFAU gets a solid 7 cows. Definitely a top 5 college course for me. Tough, but fair (if you're finding fairways). I imagine the Blue tees at 6736 yds might change my opinion. I'd say it's a bit of a bargain at $80. Not sure if they offer me a walking rate. Definitely a must play. 

It's like "old times" again.  Glad you're back at it.  Now for the BBQ and the beer...

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I played PFAU a bit later in May last year and it was $95, same price walking or riding. Good course.  Cincinnati has awesome craft beer. Madtree, Rheingeist and a lot more. High Grain is really awesome as well. 

You could play Legendary Run also which is on the East side. Fun  front nine that flows well, with cart golf on some weird holes on the back nine. If you love trees, play The Vineyard. 

PS: There is NOT any really GOOD BBQ in this city!

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC
  • Like 1

The Links at Heartland Crossing, Camby, IN 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Go or no-go on the 10th 

spacer.png

Go or no-go on the 13th 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpseiwnllvw2lnw/AAAFzFDvmr1l8rP5QyLeckrYa?dl=0

• Like 2

Grrr. Don't know why brewpubs have websites with out of date tap lists. Drove to Nigh Brewing Company to sample a Belgian Tripel, only to find out that it was tapped out last week. The peanut butter porter isn't bad, but it's no Belgian. Lol. 

spacer.png

The bacon mac and cheese burger is pretty tasty. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I joined WRX 13 years ago. 30,000 posts later and I'm still surprised that I haven't been permanently banned, or have garnered as many 'likes' as I have. Lol.

Big thanks to the community for providing a place to learn, share, and vent. Amazing how much time I spend here each day. Travel, pro tours, equipment, rules, and the (almost) always entertaining 19th hole, it's a fun time sink. 

Love the game, and love contributing. 'Hope my contributions are adding value. If not, I guess there's always the TruGreen ads. 😁

Maybe the mods can temp ban you for a day or two so you can cross that off your list?

You've got the ultimate travel guide going. It's going to be hard to ever top.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Slight change of plans for late next week. There are no RV parks in Detroit that are near the courses I want to play, so I'm going to split the visit into two parts. Booked a site near the airport for 3 nights, and then I'll head north of the city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Slight change of plans for late next week. There are no RV parks in Detroit that are near the courses I want to play, so I'm going to split the visit into two parts. Booked a site near the airport for 3 nights, and then I'll head north of the city. 

Arg,

Check out Univ of Michigan course if you haven’t played it before.  A really fun MacKenzie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, So_Cal said:

Arg,

Check out Univ of Michigan course if you haven’t played it before.  A really fun MacKenzie

Player it a few years ago. Yeah, top notch. 

I was able to book a tee time at Miami Whitewater Forest GC for Sunday in place of Sugar Ridge. No luck at Sharon Woods, so it'll Neumann tomorrow morning. 

Arg, feel a little bit what you were going through recently. Had my first ever surgery this week. Had my appendix removed. It is killing me not being able to get out. Going on a vacation in a couple of weeks, and my only goal is to be able to tee it up then. But man, we have great weather right now and sitting and looking out the window is brutal. Had like 4 months of s*** weather and it happens now 😂

Glad you liked Pfau, very good addition to the midwest golf scene. Pfau and Yale are the top 2 campus courses in my limited opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Historically, Miami Whitewater Forest is in nice shape and a fun walking course. Fairly open with some fun holes. I have not played in in at least 7-8 years. It was the very first course I played when I got out of the Army; the ex in-laws lived nearby and we stayed there for a few months until we settled in. It's a good walking course. The front has some hilliness to it, the back nine is quite flat.

• Like 1