2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Get well soon and heal up properly.  Keep up the steps and you'll be fit and ready to walk 18 soon enough.

Re: knee replacements - I was on the course a month after my full custom Conformis knee was done.  Range work started at day 10 post op with surgeon's blessing.  Walked out of the hospital and forgot about opioids immediately.  Tylenol/Advil in rotation handled it fine. Showed up for our senior scramble and the guys were all "didn't you just have a knee replaced??"  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Crazy night last night. Spent hours watching the weather reports as a series of fronts moved through Chicagoland. The fronts were moving at 60 mph, and there were gusts close to 90 mph. Several tornados were reported. It appears that a tornado or strong wind gust blew the roofs off several homes less than a mile north of me. Glad that Bessie isn't sitting in the neighbor's yard. I got lucky in that the winds were coming from the west, and the RV is on the east side of the house. The house blocked a lot of the wind. Looks like we may get a similar weather pattern next Tuesday. Oy. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 3/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, highhdcp said:

I am looking forward to an Arg style review of the hospital. 

Yes. Need to know what the hospital's walking policy is. Can you walk into the operating room or do they require you to ride on a stretcher? If they let you walk in, do they still bill your insurance for the stretcher? 

All kidding aside, glad to hear it went well, Arg, and looking forward to your next travels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I was asked if I wanted a wheelchair when I left the hospital, but no surprise I walked to the lobby. I'm sure if I check the bill I'll be charged for a wheelchair and attendant. 

Every time I was in the hospital, I took the chair. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to find my way out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I was asked if I wanted a wheelchair when I left the hospital, but no surprise I walked to the lobby. I'm sure if I check the bill I'll be charged for a wheelchair and attendant. 

No doubt. Last hospital trip I had was an overnight stay to run tests on my heart and stress test. Of course I had to fast the day before and the day of the tests. So no meals while I spent that night before in the hospital. Not only were meals for that entire day on the bill when I checked in at 8:00pm, but all of the following day of tests as well even though I checked out at 10:00am. And just for giggles they charged me for a wrist brace as well…. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I'm very happy that you're doing well and was pleasantly surprised by you're being able to have some solid food.  Good choice on walking to the lobby - regardless of conditions, the rule for hospital wheelchairs is cart path only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

Recovery is really an up and down journey. One minute I feel fine, and the next I have the chills or am sweating like crazy. Had a fever last night, and I couldn't stop going to the bathroom. Possible UTI, but I slept better last night than the previous few nights, and the fever broke. I'm off all pain meds now. Still a little discomfort, but no real pain.

Not going to be doing much for a couple more days besides taking frequent naps, and then the boredom is really going to set in.

Anyone want to see the incisions? Lol.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

32 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Recovery is really an up and down journey. One minute I feel fine, and the next I have the chills or am sweating like crazy. Had a fever last night, and I couldn't stop going to the bathroom. Possible UTI, but I slept better last night than the previous few nights, and the fever broke. I'm off all pain meds now. Still a little discomfort, but no real pain.

Not going to be doing much for a couple more days besides taking frequent naps, and then the boredom is really going to set in.

Anyone want to see the incisions? Lol.

Arg, do you read at all? Or listen to audio books? If you do, and you haven't read any of Tom Coyne's books I'd suggest it. He has a few books, but I love the 3 "A course called" books. I'd start with A Course Called Ireland. He literally walked the perimeter of Ireland, playing every links course and drinking beer. https://www.amazon.com/Course-Called-Ireland-Search-Country/dp/B0866979QC/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=241883717977&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9022894&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1209867957434805744&hvtargid=kwd-10122467261&hydadcr=2763_10399770&keywords=a+course+called+ireland&qid=1680449838&sr=8-1

• Like 4

I had surgery a month ago.   Timing was good as The Players and a lot of other golf on plus basketball.  Just now starting to hit wedges.  Hopefully irons later in the week and starting to play 9 by mid month.

Any golf on television this week that you might be interested in watching? 😂

• Haha 2

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

When I got injured I was “incarcerated” (lol) for months. It’s in fact not funny as there can be plenty of grim lonely nights.

Was on industrial strength pain meds for long enough that it took me months and months (after ceasing the pain meds) to get my concentration back enough to read much, and this is from a life long voracious reader. That was hard, and frustrating. So very glad you’re done with the heavy meds! 👍🏼 They really do work but they also really work on you. 👎🏼

Can also suggest many hours of listening to music. Not having music on in the background, but *really listening* with intent and focus. It certainly helped keep me fairly sane. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Arg - good to hear that you are over the most difficult part - surgical intervention response- now the real hard time starts - slowly building back till you are comfortable again in yourself. Don’t rush it - next weekend is gonna be easy - the Masters on TV - it will take a while but be patient in the long run that will serve you best. I am sure you will be back to form in a few weeks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chanceman said:

A good chance to watch all those videotapes you keep in the basement like the Honda Classic from 2006 and Lions v Chiefs in 2003.

@Chanceman Your suggestion made me think "We can do better than that, for @Argonne69!"

i.e. perhaps @Argonne69 can suggest movies / TV series/ books or songs he'd like to watch (but never had the time to do so)... 

e.g. @Argonne69 now has time to "Netflix and Chill!" 🙂 

For starters... if you're in the mood for some spy thrillers...

There's "The Night Agent" that's currently #1 on Netflix charts

...or celebrate the current Japan/Korea Cherry Blossom season! examples = this "Seoul Sisters" video travelogue of "where to see Cherry Blossoms in Seoul"!

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chanceman said:

A good chance to watch all those videotapes you keep in the basement like the Honda Classic from 2006 and Lions v Chiefs in 2003.

Hmmm. A few years ago I converted all my old VHS tapes to digital, and ripped my collection of DVDs. They'll all sitting nicely on my Synology NAS server here. Yeah, maybe it's time to take a stroll down memory lane.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AltC said:

Sexy beast - how Ben Kingsley didn’t win an Oscar for his performance is beyond me!!!

well cast film.

~ Ray Winstone's tan was a character by itself.

• Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

9 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

one with some spare time might check that newer Jack Reacher series on Prime.

watch worthy....

Agreed, if you have read the books, this is what Reacher should have been in the movies.  Not Tom Cruise.

Arg, hope you are back at it soon.  When can you start to chip and putt??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mikedit said:

Agreed, if you have read the books, this is what Reacher should have been in the movies.  Not Tom Cruise.

Arg, hope you are back at it soon.  When can you start to chip and putt??

I have a follow-up visit with my doctor in 10 days. I expect to get a clearance for putting and chipping, although I could probably putt now. I have a wonky lower back, so I've never been one to spend a lot of time putting. I would like to get out to the local course near here and work on my chipping, though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

one with some spare time might check that newer Jack Reacher series on Prime.

watch worthy....

I'm in the process of rewatching The Expanse on Prime. I'll check out JR.

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I have a follow-up visit with my doctor in 10 days. I expect to get a clearance for putting and chipping, although I could probably putt now. I have a wonky lower back, so I've never been one to spend a lot of time putting. I would like to get out to the local course near here and work on my chipping, though.

@Argonne69 Maybe you need one of these $2 pick-em-up putter suction cups, to relieve your lower back & enable more putting practice? 🙂 

...or an excuse to buy a new Ping 'Fetch' putter

... so you can pick-em-up,  Billy Horschel-style?  

Golf Club Suction Cup Ball Catcher For Caddy Sucker Grip Club Retriever  T5U2 | eBay

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Argonne69 Maybe you need one of these $2 pick-em-up putter suction cups, to relieve your lower back & enable more putting practice? 🙂 

...or an excuse to buy a new Ping 'Fetch' putter

... so you can pick-em-up,  Billy Horschel-style?  

Golf Club Suction Cup Ball Catcher For Caddy Sucker Grip Club Retriever  T5U2 | eBay

Not sure they make them for SuperStroker Flatso grips.

45 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Many of you are aware that in addition to golf I have a love for trains. I've ridden all but one of the Amtrak long distance routes, and have taken Canada's Via Rail from Toronto to Vancouver. I've also ridden several of Amtrak's regional lines. Since I'm cleared for travel, but not golf, I figured I might hit the rails for a couple of short trips at the end of this month after my follow-up with the doctor next week. If I'm going to sit around, may as well be staring out the window at some lovely scenery.

I haven't traveled on the Missouri River Runner between St Louis and KC, so I may take a three day Chicago-St Louis-KC-Chicago trip on the Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, and Southwest Chief. It'd give me an opportunity for another helping of KC barbeque.

From Chicago I can take the Illinois Service trains to Quincy, IL, and the Michigan Service trains to Port Huron. Haven't ridden either before. 

The only long distance route I haven't taken is the Silver Meteor/Star between DC and Miami. Since it's an overnight trip, I generally get a sleeper car. However, Amtrak is experiencing a shortage of equipment, so sleeper car prices have gotten crazy. Not sure if I'd do a full four segment trip from Chicago to DC, DC to Miami, Miami to DC, and DC to Chicago. Every previous trip was either a one-way long distance trip, or a multi-segment trip with one leg flying. 'MIght take the train from Chicago to DC to Miami, and then fly back. The thought of flying doesn't thrill me. In the heyday of train travel there used to be several trains between Miami and Chicago. Alas.

87a5874a6d4c5e21f2bfcc11087609fb.jpg

thanks @Argonne69 ... for letting us live vicariously via your travels

whether they be via RV, planes, trains or automobiles.

This Silver Meteor/Silver Star train journey sounds intriguing

image.png.7814bfd45d1f388843c35473f77fa587.png

image.png.197929bd33e12fcdc3f0d303a13e3fe5.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

I've used what used to be called the Wolverine route train to Chicago from Ann Arbor a few times.  It's worth every penny not having to drive up I-94 into downtown.  My then 8 year old son and I took it to Chicago and jumped on the Empire Builder up to Buffalo, NY to pick up a motorcycle hack rig.  It was a fun time and he remembers it well.  

Just get out and do it for yourself.  

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

Just now, SnowbirdTom said:

I've used what used to be called the Wolverine route train to Chicago from Ann Arbor a few times.  It's worth every penny not having to drive up I-94 into downtown.  My then 8 year old son and I took it to Chicago and jumped on the Empire Builder up to Buffalo, NY to pick up a motorcycle hack rig.  It was a fun time and he remembers it well.  

Just get out and do it for yourself.  

Actually, it's the Lake Shore Limited that runs between Chicago and New York, with a stop in Buffalo. A section of the train splits at Albany, and heads to Boston as the main section continues south along the Hudson River to New York City. The train uses a large part of the old New York Central's route along the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. 'Very pretty scenery.

The Empire Builder runs between Chicago and Seattle with a section splitting off at Spokane and traveling to Portland. Highlight of that trip is Glacier National Park, and the trip though the Rockies. I made the journey a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Actually, it's the Lake Shore Limited that runs between Chicago and New York, with a stop in Buffalo. A section of the train splits at Albany, and heads to Boston as the main section continues south along the Hudson River to New York City. The train uses a large part of the old New York Central's route along the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. 'Very pretty scenery.

The Empire Builder runs between Chicago and Seattle with a section splitting off at Spokane and traveling to Portland. Highlight of that trip is Glacier National Park, and the trip though the Rockies. I made the journey a few years ago.

Absolutely right, my mistake.  We got on in Chicago after dinnertime and arrived in Buffalo about 7am.  I got wise quick and sought out an attendant to grab a sleeping suite for us.  Good times.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

7 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Absolutely right, my mistake.  We got on in Chicago after dinnertime and arrived in Buffalo about 7am.  I got wise quick and sought out an attendant to grab a sleeping suite for us.  Good times.

I did the same thing on my first Lake Shore Limited trip. Sleeper car prices can get crazy just before departure, but once you're on the train the empty room isn't generating revenue, so the conductor has some flexibility in allowing you to upgrade. The drawback of course is that there's no guarantee you'll get a room. 

I've only slept in coach once in ~15 overnight trips. A roomette isn't perfect, but it beats a coach seat for sleeping.