2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

I was looking to book golf near Ventura for later this week, but once again the weather looks awful. Can't seem to get away from the rain. I booked Ojai Valley Inn for Sunday morning. Hopefully the forecast gets better for Friday and Saturday. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

11 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I was looking to book golf near Ventura for later this week, but once again the weather looks awful. Can't seem to get away from the rain. I booked Ojai Valley Inn for Sunday morning. Hopefully the forecast gets better for Friday and Saturday. 

It really has been a rather cold and wet winter this season in SoCal.  Going back to your earlier comment on pricing - I truly believe that Ventura county area is one of the best values in America for year round golf.  There are some excellent courses for what you pay.  Now availability is another question.  Enjoy Rustic and hit me up if you want any tips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Looper34 said:

Hi Argonne, When you get a chance could you please post the link to your golf course spread sheet? Thank you and safe travels

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7tlm9hur9pzqsire0ye46/ArgsCourseRatings.csv?rlkey=d05u2uknsbynkdeq454hny236&dl=0

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

A quick peruse (i may have missed some) yields two 2 cow courses and one 1 cow course.  All in Florida.  Having played a few of the  3's on your list.....I shudder to think of a 2 or 1 cow rating.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A very enjoyable morning. The threat of rain never materialized, so it was blue skies and warm temps the whole round. Second visit to Rustic Canyon today. Sure beat my first visit when I played in a heavy rain for most of the round. I think "Canyon" is a wee bit of a stretch. Rustic Valley is more like it. This links/prairie style Gil Hanse design is definitely different than your typical LA layout. Generally flat, but there are a few hills. Plenty of native areas to eat errant shots. Some holes feel more desert like. No water in play, but there are a few red staked washes. Only one hole that could be considered a sweeper, but it's not cookie cutter. Fairway bunkering was very light, but greenside was quite good with very natural looking blowout bunkers. Plenty of waste areas off to the sides, and a few cutting through the fairway on the short 4s, and par 5s. 

Most interesting aspect of the course are the green complexes. Practically every green is surrounded by a large closely mown area that's cut tighter than the fairway, but a hair longer than the green. One can barely make out the edges of the greens, but the sprinkler heads help. Creates plenty of opportunities for up and downs, and definitely messes with your head as you try to figure out pin positions without a cart GPS. 

Very easy off the tee. Almost makes Sand Valley's Mammoth course feel tight. The short 4s have danger, but the longer 4s are nearly bunkerless. The 14th does have a forced carry from the back tees. Since the fairways are so wide there isn't a lot of rough, so minor misses could find trouble in the nearby junk. Big misses were generally lost in the junk, but a huge miss might get lucky and find an adjacent fairway. 

Approaches on the other hand were tough if you actually wanted to find the putting surface and not the close mown areas. A number of greens were at fairway height, but most were raised a few feet with drop-offs on three or four sides. Had plenty of good looking shots get rejected. Greens had a nice amount of contouring, tiering, and slope. When you include Texas wedges from off the green, it wasn't unusual to have putts break two ways. Plenty of slope that seemed hidden to the eye. Up and downs were all over the map. Miss in a good spot and it was an easy putt from off the green. Miss in the wrong spot and it was tricky, even with a putter in hand. 

The five were good, but not great. The 6th was long with a carry over a native area, but at least the green was large. The short 8th had plenty of trouble if you missed the green. The five par 5s were disappointing. Nothing reachable, and not a lot of danger. A couple had dry washes that had to be carried on the 2nd shot, but they were narrow gullies. Short 4s were excellent. The 3rd might be reachable for a long hitter. The 7th was a sweet risk reward hole with a wash cutting the fairway diagonally. Risk carrying the right side and you had a good look at the green. Playing short left was easy, but the approach faced a deep front bunker. 

Conditions were mixed. Fairways had plenty of dormant grass, and were producing some really crummy lies. They were a bit firm, so there was some rollout finally. Rough was inconsistent. Bunkers were playable, but needed grooming. Greens looked great, but speed was all over the place. Grain maybe? Swear it they were either 8 or 10. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6275 yds (69.8/126). The official "Hanse" combo at 6441 yds looked a little too long. Another good day with the driver, but irons were flakey, and the wedges were meh. Had a number of great Texas wedges from the closely mown areas, but not enough. One birdie, six bogies, and a double. Highlight of the day was the short par 4 7th. Risked going right, and just barely cleared the wash, leaving a gap wedge to a left pin. Stuck the wedge and finally made a putt. 

Going with a solid 6 cows here. Definitely a 2nd shot course. Needs a few more fairway bunkers. Could use some additional mounding. The par 5s were benign. I'm guessing it really has teeth when the wind is blowing. It's certainly a different experience than the other courses in the area. Once again the walking rate was a jaw dropper. $59? Crazy good. Can't pass this one up. Glad I skipped the munis and caught this one again on a nice day. 

Glad you played it again Arg.  Pretty good value huh?!  You'll disagree but I think the par 5s are some of the best anywhere.  Lots of strategy and you can get an eagle or double quickly.  All that width comes in handy during 30mph Santa Ana winds when it can take 5 shots to reach the par 5 13th, and #16 can almost be driven downwind from the back tees.  Don't forget, everything breaks toward the entrance gate except #17.  Sounds like you had a good day.

• Like 1

Very easy off the tee. Almost makes Sand Valley's Mammoth course feel tight.

Wow. That's a lot of room off the tee.

• Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Slightly different schedule today. I wasn't planning to eat out today, as I thought I'd head into Ventura tomorrow after setting up camp. However, I was checking the route and travel time for tomorrow's "short" drive and I discovered that the main road leading to the RV park, CA-150, is closed for a month due to recent mudslides. The alternate route is going to add 30 minutes to the drive, and more importantly, leave a circuitous 50 minute route through Ojai into Ventura. Ugh. The drive to Soule Park and Ojai Valley Inn head north from the RV park, so they aren't effected. However, any visit to Ventura or Oxnard is probably a no-go. 

I was going to run for groceries tomorrow, but figured it would be better today. So, after dropping off the food stuff, showering, and a quick nap, it's back to Yard House for a beer and a burger. Starting with one of my favorite Belgian Golden Ales, a Delirium Tremons. 

spacer.png

I haven't booked golf for Friday or Saturday, as the forecast still calls for rain. Hopefully one of the days will be somewhat dry. 

Disappointing BBQ bacon cheddar burger. Tasty, but it obviously sat too long under the heat lamp. The place wasn't overly crowded, so no reason why it should have been served luke warm. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjr said:

Hope you can get out to Soule Park!

I have a 7:40 am tee time there on Thursday. Should be a pleasant morning. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Slightly different schedule today. I wasn't planning to eat out today, as I thought I'd head into Ventura tomorrow after setting up camp. However, I was checking the route and travel time for tomorrow's "short" drive and I discovered that the main road leading to the RV park, CA-150, is closed for a month due to recent mudslides. The alternate route is going to add 30 minutes to the drive, and more importantly, leave a circuitous 50 minute route through Ojai into Ventura. Ugh. The drive to Soule Park and Ojai Valley Inn head north from the RV park, so they aren't effected. However, any visit to Ventura or Oxnard is probably a no-go. 

I was going to run for groceries tomorrow, but figured it would be better today. So, after dropping off the food stuff, showering, and a quick nap, it's back to Yard House for a beer and a burger. Starting with one of my favorite Belgian Golden Ales, a Delirium Tremons. 

spacer.png

I haven't booked golf for Friday or Saturday, as the forecast still calls for rain. Hopefully one of the days will be somewhat dry. 

Disappointing BBQ bacon cheddar burger. Tasty, but it obviously sat too long under the heat lamp. The place wasn't overly crowded, so no reason why it should have been served luke warm. 

spacer.png

Not good when the onion ring has a bigger circumference than the burger….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 2/20/2024 at 9:39 AM, Argonne69 said:

Right now I'm looking at a mid-April arrival in Vegas. I'll likely spend two weeks there. Really depends on the forecast for Utah, as I'll head north when the weather allows. 

Yeah, I have Black Desert on the list, along with Coral Canyon, Copper Rock, and Falcon Ridge. 

I made one previous trip to St Georges and Mesquite. Played Sky Mountain, Sand Hollow, Conestoga, Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, and Casablanca. 

If you haven’t played Oasis Golf Club in Mesquite, add the Palmer course to your list. It was the host site of Big Break 8 (maybe 9), and has some incredible tee shots on a few holes. Not walking friendly in the least bit, and I doubt they even allow it. 

we play a buddies deal there every year in early March (leaving in a week), and play Falcon Ridge and both courses at Oasis. Falcon is my favorite, just fun golf. We usually try to sneak in a round at Conestoga or Wolf Creek as well - think I might try Coyote Springs next year. 

• Thanks 1

Well, that was certainly unpleasant. Made the drive to Ventura this morning, but it turned into quite the adventure. I'm actually staying in the Ojai Valley ~25 miles northeast of the town. I managed to make it to Santa Paula where I was directed by Google Maps to use a back road to avoid the closure on CA-150. Just as I was about to turn on to the dusty road, I noticed the "Dead End" sign, and kept going. Pulled over a block down and called the RV park. I was told by a different person than I spoke with yesterday that the road hasn't been open to through traffic for years. Ugh. The only route was one that looped through Ventura, and Ojai, coming in from the west. That added an hour to the trip. That section of CA-150 was littered with narrow switchbacks, and I barely averaged 25 mph. In addition several sections were down to one lane due to mudslides. 'Really hope that the rain this weekend doesn't wash out that road, as it's the only way out. 

To add insult to injury Google Maps directed me to turn off of CA-150 near the RV park. I assumed it was because of the road closure. However, I immediately encountered a road with a locked gate, and no room to burn a U-turn. I was forced to unhook the Honda, negotiate a tight turn around, and then hook the toad back up. That added another 15 minutes to the trip. Grrr. 

Finally got settled in. The RV park is a bit of a ghost town. I assume the smart people canceled their stays after finding out about the road closure. If I had known that I would have to loop around through Ojai I would have found a different park as well. 

Hopefully there are a couple of places to eat and drink in Ojai, as it's unlikely I'm going to make the 50 minute drive to Ventura. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was certainly unpleasant. Made the drive to Ventura this morning, but it turned into quite the adventure. I'm actually staying in the Ojai Valley ~25 miles northeast of the town. I managed to make it to Santa Paula where I was directed by Google Maps to use a back road to avoid the closure on CA-150. Just as I was about to turn on to the dusty road, I noticed the "Dead End" sign, and kept going. Pulled over a block down and called the RV park. I was told by a different person than I spoke with yesterday that the road hasn't been open to through traffic for years. Ugh. The only route was one that looped through Ventura, and Ojai, coming in from the west. That added an hour to the trip. That section of CA-150 was littered with narrow switchbacks, and I barely averaged 25 mph. In addition several sections were down to one lane due to mudslides. 'Really hope that the rain this weekend doesn't wash out that road, as it's the only way out. 

To add insult to injury Google Maps directed me to turn off of CA-150 near the RV park. I assumed it was because of the road closure. However, I immediately encountered a road with a locked gate, and no room to burn a U-turn. I was forced to unhook the Honda, negotiate a tight turn around, and then hook the toad back up. That added another 15 minutes to the trip. Grrr. 

Finally got settled in. The RV park is a bit of a ghost town. I assume the smart people canceled their stays after finding out about the road closure. If I had known that I would have to loop around through Ojai I would have found a different park as well. 

Hopefully there are a couple of places to eat and drink in Ojai, as it's unlikely I'm going to make the 50 minute drive to Ventura. 

spacer.png

Ojai is a pretty artsy place. Ideal spot for a brewpub. If I recall they had a pretty good pizza place there as well. It’s been 20 years since I was there so it should have grown a little.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Ojai is a pretty artsy place. Ideal spot for a brewpub. If I recall they had a pretty good pizza place there as well. It’s been 20 years since I was there so it should have grown a little.

Looks like there are now four well reviewed pizza places in town. Looks like it'll be pizza this weekend. 

There are three brewpubs as well. 

• Like 1

I feel like I'm supposed to tell you to say "Hi" to Steve and Jaime if you see them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* / New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

Soule Park GC, Ojai, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/89k2vc07bbj2eqoruyb8y/h?rlkey=79fisvisz8r8a8adplynvt72j&dl=0

• Like 4

Ojai Beverage Company. 50 taps, including a couple of Belgians, but light on the high ABV stouts. Plenty of IPAs, though, and a very nice selection of beers to go. Went with an old favorite, Victory Golden Monkey. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Not much to do in the Ojai area tomorrow, so I'll take a chance with the rain and drive an hour to Ventura. Booked a round on the Victoria Lakes course at River Ridge. I talked with a local at Soule Park this morning, and he said the Lakes course is a better option than the Vineyard. Hopefully the rain is light. 

23 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

spacer.png

Try using the Waze app. Much more accurate.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Didn't feel like a sandwich back in Bessie, so I endulged in a brick oven pizza at Pinyon Ojai. Decent pie, but pricey. Went with the Smokey Goat with smoked tomato, goat cheese, garlic, dressed greens, and add on pepperoni. The sauce was very tasty. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Pleasant morning. The sun tried to peek out, but mostly cloudy. Soule Park today. Very enjoyable parkland layout. It ranks #18 on GolfWeek's best in state list. The course sits in a low river valley with a handful of holes playing over the creek running through the property. A handful of holes tee off on the ridges and play down to the valley, but most holes are relatively flat. Fairway bunkering was light for the most part, but a few holes were decent, e.g. #9. Greenside was a little better. One of those designs where the architect placed bunkers 50 yds in front of the greens to give the illusion of trouble, but they really didn't come into play. Water on 6 holes, but a couple were just short forced carries over the creek. Only 4 holes with minor left/right movement. The course was renovated by Gil Hansen in 2006, and one can see some of his design elements. 

Very easy off the tee with generous fairways and light bunkering. Rough was fairly generous, so minor misses were little problem. Big misses right could find an adjacent fairway, or find OB if hit left. Trees were pretty sparse. 

Approaches were moderately difficult with segmented greens. They were a decent size, but you could have a tricky putt if you found yourself in the wrong spot. As noted, many of the "greenside" bunkers really didn't come into play. Greens were really fun with nice contouring, tiering, and slope. Putts required some due diligence. Similar to Rustic Canyon, many of the greens had closely mown areas around the greens that were cut just a hair longer than the greens. Plenty of options when close. Still plenty of areas with juicy rough and opportunities to short side yourself. 

Par 3s were decent. The 6th was long, but little trouble. The back nine's pair, #10 and #16, were solid. The 10th had a pond right, and the 16th played over the creek. 5s were meh. The 4th had a nice speed slot, and could be reached in two with a deep front center bunker guarding the two halves of the wide green. The 5th was potentially reachable, but little trouble. No real short 4s.

Other than the final two holes, the course was in decent shape. The 17th and 18th were soggy with CPO. Fairway turf was a tad thin. Rough was a bit patchy. Bunkers were quite good. Greens looked fine, but were only rolling 9 at best. 

Played an Orange/Avacado combo at 6315 yds (70.5/122). Don't recall ever seeing Avacado tees before. Lol. Another good round with the driver, but irons weren't helping the cause. Wedges really got a workout today. One birdie and six bogies. The speed slot assisted 275 yd drive on the par 5 4th was sweet, but the highlight was the flop shot on the 16th over the left front bunker to save par on the par 3 16th. 

Going with 5 cows here. A little disappointed, actually. Very nice looking piece of property with nice views of the mountains, but few outstanding holes. As usual, it needs more bunkering. Par 5s need more risk, and a couple of short 4s would be nice. That said, I'd certainly be a regular if I was a local. The $39 weekday walking rate was once again crazy good. Charge $50 and add some bunkering. Can't say it's a must play, but it's worth a visit if you're in the area. 

Nice write up Arg.  Some of the Hanse bunkers were taken out because - get this - the senior men's club found them too difficult.  It's a nice course to play in the evening with alpenglow on the mountains.  Hanse is the same guy that renovated Los Angeles Country Club, Brookline, Oakland Hills, Winged Foot, Merion and pretty much all the US Open courses.  I like it better than Ojai now as Ojai has ruined their course IMO.  

• Like 2

Didn't feel like a sandwich back in Bessie, so I endulged in a brick oven pizza at Pinyon Ojai. Decent pie, but pricey. Went with the Smokey Goat with smoked tomato, goat cheese, garlic, dressed greens, and add on pepperoni. The sauce was very tasty. 

spacer.png

Other than not enough brisket that looks damn good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dreary and rather unpleasant morning. A light rain fell for most of the round, but thankfully it stopped with a few holes to go allowing equipment to somewhat dry out. I arrived early hoping that there might be a no-show, but it was solid foursomes and a fivesome, so my playing partner and I stood around waiting the entire round. Played the Victoria Lakes course at River Ridge today. Not a bad looking course for a housing development layout. There were definitely some mediocre holes, but at least half were decent. Some elevation change with a few elevated teeboxes, but most of layout was fairly flat. As the name suggests there was plenty of water in play. The Z shaped par 4 13th was fun with two forced carries over two ponds. Bunkering was very light. I'd say it's a parkland layout, but the trees were very sparse. 

Very easy off the tee with generous fairways and light bunkering. The water was really only a factor on two drives. Minor misses would catch the generous rough, but being very patchy, lies could be rather crummy. Nearly every hole had an adjacent one right, so big misses right could be found and played. Big misses left were generally OB. Approaches were much tougher, as the greenside bunkering was much better. Greens were fun with a good amount of tiering, contouring, and slope. Putting was less than easy. The greens were very slow, but I imagine on dry days they could present some nasty putts. Up and downs were mixed. Miss in the right spot and they were straightforward. Short side yourself and the iffy lies ranging from uber thin to thick rough was tough. 

The five par 3s were OK. Nice mix of lengths from a gap wedge to a fairway wood. Needed more trouble, though. The five par 5s were mixed. The short 4th with an elevated tee could be reached by risking the bunkers and water left. Otherwise nothing reachable. The 12th's smallish green was tucked behind a pond, so the approach presented a bit of a challenge, especially with the pin tucked right in a small finger. No short 4s. 

Conditions were wet, but more or less playable. Surprised that there weren't cart restrictions on a few soft holes. Fairways were very thin. Rough was patchy. Bunkers had plenty of compacted sand that needed a proper grooming. Greens looked good, but were soft and slow. 8 maybe. 

Played the White tees at 6304 yds (70.1/124). Felt like swinging with a straightjacket on with the raingear. Very little rollout and way too many long approaches. Wedges have really been getting a workout. One birdie, eight bogies, and a double. Highlight was my playing partner, an 84 year old retired lawyer. We had plenty of time to chat as we waited on every shot. However, he was giving me serious anxiety attacks. He bought a remote control cart a few weeks ago, and he still hasn't mastered the controls. Watched in horror as the thing went in circles or raced out of control like a cart possessed. Lol. 

Going with 4 cows. Better than your average housing development course, but needs more bunkering, short 4s, and another risk/reward par 5. The $35 walking rate was ridiculously good. Sound like a broken record, but charge $50 and put the funds towards a few design improvements. If you're in the area, I'd say it's worth a visit, but it's not going to wow you. Certainly better than sitting inside on a crummy day. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

River Ridge GC, Victoria Lakes course, Oxnard, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Intimidating teeshot from the tips on the par 4 3rd

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Z shaped par 4 13th 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/rx2kihjz3whbritk1su3l/h?rlkey=xnq3yibwg1bw6dr9y8v1qzb9g&dl=0

• Like 3