2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

I do love Murphy as well and if it was just a little closer to me, I'd play more often.  I don't like hearing about the condition issues as it's always been kept in great shape.  Hopefully just a temporary issue.  Indian Peaks never really enters my mind, it's been a few years since I played it.  I'll have to give it another chance.  I'd also add Walnut Creek to the list.  

I've soured on GVR, not sure entirely why but just doesn't do it for me.  Also love Meadow Hills and Wellshire for the old school layouts and feel of the places.  Also perfect courses for when I want to play with my hickory club.  

Agree on the tee time thing and I get why they went to payment of advancement bookings (they had a lot of people booking and then cancelling last minute, causing a lot of wasted tee times), but it does get annoying.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I do love Murphy as well and if it was just a little closer to me, I'd play more often.  I don't like hearing about the condition issues as it's always been kept in great shape.  Hopefully just a temporary issue.  Indian Peaks never really enters my mind, it's been a few years since I played it.  I'll have to give it another chance.  I'd also add Walnut Creek to the list.  

I've soured on GVR, not sure entirely why but just doesn't do it for me.  Also love Meadow Hills and Wellshire for the old school layouts and feel of the places.  Also perfect courses for when I want to play with my hickory club.  

Agree on the tee time thing and I get why they went to payment of advancement bookings (they had a lot of people booking and then cancelling last minute, causing a lot of wasted tee times), but it does get annoying.  

I've heard nothing but good things about Walnut Creek, I need to get out there. 

• Like 2

I'd wait until next year though....they're doing an irrigation project so some of the holes have giant stacks of pipes on them, or parts of the hole are shut down while they work on it.  Not sure when it's supposed to be done but hopefully soon enough.  But yes, you definitely need to check it out!  If you ever need someone to get out, holler, I'd be happy to get out there and play a round.  Or anywhere.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I'd wait until next year though....they're doing an irrigation project so some of the holes have giant stacks of pipes on them, or parts of the hole are shut down while they work on it.  Not sure when it's supposed to be done but hopefully soon enough.  But yes, you definitely need to check it out!  If you ever need someone to get out, holler, I'd be happy to get out there and play a round.  Or anywhere.  

Walnut is fine and in good shape right now. They're laying the main line in the native areas so it doesn't affect play at all. The website will tell you when they start closing holes.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I'm biased as a grew up in Lafayette but Indian Peaks is awesome. It's an easy track but very interesting and almost always in good shape.

My only complaints the last few years is they punch WAY too late so they don't heal until April, leaving Oct-Apr with awful greens.

17 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I'm biased as a grew up in Lafayette but Indian Peaks is awesome. It's an easy track but very interesting and almost always in good shape.

My only complaints the last few years is they punch WAY too late so they don't heal until April, leaving Oct-Apr with awful greens.

Yes, GREAT walk, I'd argue better than CommonGround. I don't love hole 7, everything else top rate IMO. 

Some nostalgia for me as well, would come down from Boulder when I was in college.

24 minutes ago, Joelness said:

When I used to live up in Boulder we avoided Indian Peaks in the off season because they dumped a ton of sand on the greens every winter.

I haaaaaaaaaaate #1 at Indian Peaks. The rest of the course is fine.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

18 minutes ago, ztull said:

Lol this doesn't have anything to do with a pull hook, does it?

I fight the opposite miss and I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate #2 at Inverness 😉.

It's not even that. I shouldn't need to tee off on a par 5 with a 5-iron, then layup with a 6-iron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I think we have settled on Commonground.  At least that is what we are hoping for once the booking window opens up.  I wanted to play CG the last time I was in Denver but the rest of my group really wanted courses with that Colorado feel.  Mountain views, elevations changes, ect.   Not that I'm complaining.  I am defiantly jealous of all the quality courses there are in the Denver area.  Here in New Orleans the gold scene is very limited. 

Do you guys think we will have luck getting on TPC?  We are hoping to get out there on a Wednesday afternoon but can't book until Sunday.   

Great posting on courses.  so much I finally was willing to "acknowledge" my warning to be allowed to post again 🤣

MC is my base per se and have played it 100's of times.  Good track, but has become "blaaa" to me now.  *To many rounds is why probably 

Green Valley, oddly have never been a big fan.  Good but not one I think of playing, especially at the price now. 

Riverdale, love it. Probably my first choice.  

Common Ground, 50/50 on it.  I agree with Joel that the hardest holes have the hardest greens which is odd in design.  Though I play the WHITE TEES  😜

Walnut is really good.   

Highland Meadows is excellent. 

Legacy Ridge I like but I know for some that is hit or miss. 

Fox Hollow (Meadow/Canyon) I think is one the better 18 combo's  around.   

Hyland hills (gold) is really good, has an odd hole or two but pretty solid. 

Flatrions.... will probably get flamed but I like for some odd reason.

Coal Creek is solid.

West Woods (depending on combo) is pretty decent.

Fossil Trace not a huge fan.  Good visual golf is what I refer to it as. 

The list could go on and on.  We are lucky for the number of excellent public courses all along the front range.  Though the rates are getting a bit "excessive" at few of them it seems. 

• Like 2

I know two people that have played Rain Dance.   

I have not for record but what was told to me was "Good views and length is all it is".   The two I know played with a pro who got invited on, both felt it was not anywhere worth the money being asked for the public rate.    The only thing noted as I recall was the length could work as tourney course but otherwise it is just "okay".

Not sure if anyone on here has? Wondering what others feel or have heard.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, leinad5006 said:

I think we have settled on Commonground.  At least that is what we are hoping for once the booking window opens up.  I wanted to play CG the last time I was in Denver but the rest of my group really wanted courses with that Colorado feel.  Mountain views, elevations changes, ect.   Not that I'm complaining.  I am defiantly jealous of all the quality courses there are in the Denver area.  Here in New Orleans the gold scene is very limited. 

Do you guys think we will have luck getting on TPC?  We are hoping to get out there on a Wednesday afternoon but can't book until Sunday.   

You'll be fine. They draw a lot of their membership from Denver/Boulder, where the 60K initiation doesn't merit a second glance. Less local members ='s less weekday action.

If you can't get out, Red Sky Fazio (public on even days) and Broadmoor East (where they don't really check if you're staying at the resort) are in the same price tier and the best public courses in the state.  

39 minutes ago, leinad5006 said:

If just a foursome I think you'll get on. It's not worth the $220 or whatever they are charging the general public these days though. If money matters at all to your group they're going to feel ripped off after paying $155 at Bear Dance. TPC is good but it's not dramatically better than the other high end courses in town.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztull said:

If you can't get out, Red Sky Fazio (public on even days) and Broadmoor East (where they don't really check if you're staying at the resort) are in the same price tier and the best public courses in the state.  

You can't book Red Sky unless you are staying at a vail property.

I always wondered if Broadmoor checked if you are staying at the resort. They always seem pretty careless when we are there if it isn't a weekend. i.e. yeah just go whenever you are ready

5 minutes ago, Dancin said:

If just a foursome I think you'll get on. It's not worth the $220 or whatever they are charging the general public these days though. If money matters at all to your group they're going to feel ripped off after paying $155 at Bear Dance. TPC is good but it's not dramatically better than the other high end courses in town.

Ike Blue is one of the best bang for buck values in the galaxy if there are active duty or retired military in your group. Will be the best course you play, $67 civilian rate.

49 minutes ago, leinad5006 said:

Bear Dance will give you the "feel" for sure of what you note.  I agree TPC will feel ... well boring after BD.

Edited by CDM

1 minute ago, Dancin said:

You can't book Red Sky unless you are staying at a vail property.

I always wondered if Broadmoor checked if you are staying at the resort. They always seem pretty careless when we are there if it isn't a weekend. i.e. yeah just go whenever you are ready

I forgot that, because my wife gets the doctor rate at the Grand Hyatt, but they've expanded well beyond the Vail properties. Downmarket hotels with booking privileges that jump to mind are the DoubleTree and the Streamside Marriott.

And as far as Legacy Ridge, it's playing the best it ever has. They didn't water it much in the spring and early summer because of the irrigation replacement project so the ground got hard and the ball is running in the fairways this year for a change. They finished work and reopened all 18 holes on Monday.

• Like 2

Just now, Dancin said:

And as far as Legacy Ridge, it's playing the best it ever has. They didn't water it much in the spring and early summer because of the irrigation replacement project so the ground got hard and the ball is running in the fairways this year for a change. They finished work and reopened all 18 holes on Monday.

Great to know!  I'll definitely have to get on this year.  

Fantasy football league did an outing at The Ridge on Saturday, absolutely shredded it. Had a 14 handicap come in with 76, a reliable plus handicap double 18 for 64.

I sat the round out, and it's been a few years, but I remember The Ridge being a tough track. Am I misremembering?

Edited by ztull

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Great to know!  I'll definitely have to get on this year.  

They still have a few 1 foot wide patches in the fairways where the new lines were dropped and the sod didn't take but if you care about how it plays and not how it looks it's awesome. Greens are as good as they always are.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1