2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

Ptarmigan is ok, just nothing amazing or ground breaking there. Every Engh course is gimmicky compared to other architects. Harmony is subdued compared to most of his designs. Other Engh in CO = Sanctuary, Fossil Trace, Pradera, Red Hawk Ridge, Four Mile Ranch, Redlands Mesa, Lakota Canyon, Snowmass. Other well known Black Rock in ID, Awarii Dunes in NE, the newer course at Carne in Ireland

TPC is very good. Only issue I have with it is since they made it so long for the tour, if you walk it's like walking 20 holes as you are walking past the back tees on most holes plus a lot of long transitions. Find a member instead of paying the outrageous public fees though.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

I'm in for RainDance if there's room!  I'll play whatever yardage people want... I can fire an 87 from anywhere 😝

Not the biggest fan of Lone Tree, played it this morning.  Just not a golf course design that I really like.  Course was in good shape for sure and greens were above average.  The layout for me was kinda meh though, nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Good info, Dancin. I trust your opinion. Glad I’m not missing anything world class at Ptarmigan. 

What are some other Engh courses? I guess by gimmicky I had heard several blind shots, but I don’t mind blind shots.

I need to play both just because I want to see it all for myself. Still so much to play and experience. Still need to get out on TPC. 

4 Mile is Engh off the rails, like if the movie Crank were a golf course. Far from Fort Collins, but a must play. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I'm in for RainDance if there's room!  I'll play whatever yardage people want... I can fire an 87 from anywhere 😝

Not the biggest fan of Lone Tree, played it this morning.  Just not a golf course design that I really like.  Course was in good shape for sure and greens were above average.  The layout for me was kinda meh though, nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

I can’t think of a Palmer course that has stood the test of time. Haven’t played Bay Hill, it looks SICK on TV. 

14 hours ago, ztull said:

I can’t think of a Palmer course that has stood the test of time. Haven’t played Bay Hill, it looks SICK on TV. 

A really nice Palmer course I played quite a bit back in the day was Spencer T Olin GC in Alton, Illinois.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

12 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

A really nice Palmer course I played quite a bit back in the day was Spencer T Olin GC in Alton, Illinois.

I’ve played this course back in the mid 90s. 👍🏼

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Hey Colorado WRX,

I'm making the trip to Aspen mid-September from Florida. My fiancé is working and i'm looking to play a few rounds. On Friday, September 16, 2022, there is a 2-man scramble at the Aspen Municipal for $75 a person (1/2 price of normal) - City of Aspen 2022 Mayor's Cup - teams of 2 and I can't sign up as a single. Wondering if any WRX'er would be interested in meeting up and playing a round (i'm fine playing my own ball if we don't want to play the scramble format) around 2-2:30 would work best for me to tee - we are driving from Denver that morning. We pick our own tee time. $75 Includes greens fee, cart, range balls, prizes, and a "gift." Not sure if its handicapped but I am currently around an 8. 

https://www.aspengolf.com/news/723-724-amga-membermember

Feel free to DM me - it would be great if we could make it work.

- Keith

Edited by FlashinLeather
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, FlashinLeather said:

Hey Colorado WRX,

I'm making the trip to Aspen mid-September from Florida. My fiancé is working and i'm looking to play a few rounds. On Friday, September 16, 2022, there is a scramble at the Aspen Municipal for $75 a person (1/2 price of normal) - City of Aspen 2022 Mayor's Cup - teams of 2 and I can't sign up as a single. Wondering if any WRX'er would be interested in meeting up and playing a round (i'm fine playing my own ball if we don't want to play a in the scramble) around 2-2:30 would work best for me to tee - we are driving from Denver that morning. $75 Includes greens fee, cart, range balls, prizes, and a "gift." Not sure if its handicapped but I am currently around an 8. 

https://www.aspengolf.com/news/723-724-amga-membermember

Feel free to DM me - it would be great if we could make it work.

- Keith

I live in the area and love to play the Aspen Muni - would love to pair up and either play the scramble or just our own scores. Will DM you and we can coordinate.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Hey everyone! Long time no see.

I booked a 4some at Thorncreek on Sunday at 2:20pm...and so far I only have myself to play with. So if anyone wants to hop on, let me know! 

Good to see you again! I probably would've joined you if I wasn't heading up to Summit County this weekend.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, jacobEDGE said:

Hey everyone! Long time no see.

I booked a 4some at Thorncreek on Sunday at 2:20pm...and so far I only have myself to play with. So if anyone wants to hop on, let me know! 

I'm playing in the Wellshire four-ball this weekend.

P.S. You guys should get in on it next year. Great structure, great payouts. It's a blast. They flight everyone based on their 36 hole gross score going into the last 18 on Monday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

P.S. You guys should get in on it next year. Great structure, great payouts. It's a blast. They flight everyone based on their 36 hole gross score going into the last 18 on Monday.

I've heard this thing is great!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

Do they do different formats or just straight up each player plays his ball.   IE: alternate shot?  

Good luck..!

Edit: anyone play Ute Creek lately? How is the conditions.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CDM said:

I played Ute Creek on 8/7. It was fine. Except for the drive I may start going there more for my weekend cheaper round vs Riverdale Dunes. It was a lot better before all the houses went up, but it's still a good course. Check on aeration schedule before booking though. It's that time of year again.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CDM said:

Do they do different formats or just straight up each player plays his ball.   IE: alternate shot?  

Good luck..!

No, just four-ball all weekend. They do trick it up a bit, speed up the greens big time and put some holes on some gnarly slopes.

I like Ute Creek a lot. I played it 8/12 for the Longmont City Championship and it was in good shape. They had some fairway/rough spots that died out from the drought last year and those spots aren't fully recovered but those spots are few and far between at this point. Their greens are always pretty solid. Good call by Dancin though, it's definitely the aeration time of year.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

No, just four-ball all weekend. They do trick it up a bit, speed up the greens big time and put some holes on some gnarly slopes.

I like Ute Creek a lot. I played it 8/12 for the Longmont City Championship and it was in good shape. They had some fairway/rough spots that died out from the drought last year and those spots aren't fully recovered but those spots are few and far between at this point. Their greens are always pretty solid. Good call by Dancin though, it's definitely the aeration time of year.

Soooo.... how'd you do?! Did you win?

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I've got a nice weekend coming up. Saturday: Castle Pines Country Club. Sunday: first round at Raindance. I will let you all know my impressions.

Oh, also I have been splurging a bit recently and got myself a new set of irons: P7MBs and it's love! I am sad I was talked out of muscleback/blade irons these last four years. It certainly didn't help my game one bit to have a "player's cavity". If anything I think that just helped me get away with poor shots, especially hitting ever so slightly fat. I went to the Collindale range a couple days ago and picked out a nice bare spot that was pretty muddy and I can tell you that you learn pretty quickly with a nice blade on lies like that how to improve your angle of attack to catch ball first/ground second and compress it nicely. Whatever forgiveness the i200s were giving me paled in comparison to forcing me to put a good swing on the ball. Plus, catching an MB out of the middle is a feeling that can't be beat (okay, enough of that, I know if any topic on WRX has been beat to death its the blade v. cb debate, don't want to start that here, but I just wanted to share with you all my recent revelations and elations).

Once I get the vibe at Raindance on just how many degenerates I can invite at any given time I'll do a Colorado WRX invite like Dancin does and see how many of us can meet in person at what is hopefully a pretty cool place. I'm really just trying to secure the invite to Joel's indoor facilities this fall/winter for some Broncos games on the simulator... (IIRC)

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

5 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I've got a nice weekend coming up. Saturday: Castle Pines Country Club. Sunday: first round at Raindance. I will let you all know my impressions.

Oh, also I have been splurging a bit recently and got myself a new set of irons: P7MBs and it's love! I am sad I was talked out of muscleback/blade irons these last four years. It certainly didn't help my game one bit to have a "player's cavity". If anything I think that just helped me get away with poor shots, especially hitting ever so slightly fat. I went to the Collindale range a couple days ago and picked out a nice bare spot that was pretty muddy and I can tell you that you learn pretty quickly with a nice blade on lies like that how to improve your angle of attack to catch ball first/ground second and compress it nicely. Whatever forgiveness the i200s were giving me paled in comparison to forcing me to put a good swing on the ball. Plus, catching an MB out of the middle is a feeling that can't be beat (okay, enough of that, I know if any topic on WRX has been beat to death its the blade v. cb debate, don't want to start that here, but I just wanted to share with you all my recent revelations and elations).

Once I get the vibe at Raindance on just how many degenerates I can invite at any given time I'll do a Colorado WRX invite like Dancin does and see how many of us can meet in person at what is hopefully a pretty cool place. I'm really just trying to secure the invite to Joel's indoor facilities this fall/winter for some Broncos games on the simulator... (IIRC)

Hope you enjoy CCatCP. Is this your first time playing?

6 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I've got a nice weekend coming up. Saturday: Castle Pines Country Club. 

My parents live near the halfway house, and they had this cuddly guy in their backyard tonight. Hope you run faster than your friends! 

IMG_2277.jpg.eb40305a66f1fb60b0d9b12fe4689d52.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Hit up Bud’s after CPCC.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, ranchsooner said:

Hope you enjoy CCatCP. Is this your first time playing?

Yeah first time. Here’s my review:

Scenery and conditioning were fantastic. The tee boxes and fairways were like plush pool tables. I was like afraid to take a divot, they looked so nice. Views of the mountains and valley was incredible. 

I think I can officially say I don’t love a ton of elevation change as a feature, which this course has a ton of. I can see how it’s fun on a few holes, but I just like relatively flat holes for the most part. My favorite holes were 5, 6, and 11, which were the flattest holes on the course. I guess mountain golf may just not be my thing. Also it prevents you from walking, which I love. I also thought the greens had a little too much undulation and big humps. The tee shots were generous, which is fun, while the greens and greenside features were very punishing of poor shots, which is fine but freaking hard. I was happy to play there but wouldn’t want to play there every day. 

I’m excited to see what Rain dance is like tomorrow. 

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

9 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yeah first time. Here’s my review:

Scenery and conditioning were fantastic. The tee boxes and fairways were like plush pool tables. I was like afraid to take a divot, they looked so nice. Views of the mountains and valley was incredible. 

I think I can officially say I don’t love a ton of elevation change as a feature, which this course has a ton of. I can see how it’s fun on a few holes, but I just like relatively flat holes for the most part. My favorite holes were 5, 6, and 11, which were the flattest holes on the course. I guess mountain golf may just not be my thing. Also it prevents you from walking, which I love. I also thought the greens had a little too much undulation and big humps. The tee shots were generous, which is fun, while the greens and greenside features were very punishing of poor shots, which is fine but freaking hard. I was happy to play there but wouldn’t want to play there every day. 

I’m excited to see what Rain dance is like tomorrow. 

I play there most days, and you’re right, it is freaking hard, but I never get tired of the views. I hit the pin on #2 yesterday, missed the HIO, but at least made the 1” birdie putt. 

• Like 3

Played Raindance today. It’s awesome. Great golf. Great layout, cool shot value, wide fairways, big greens. Nice mounding and undulation and elevation change, nothing too extreme. Beautiful setting, hitting over big arroyos at angles that let you bail out or hit hero shots, views of the mountains, firm turf (I bet they could get that thing hard and fast and bouncy if they wanted) in fairway. Beautiful natural bunkering. I played blue tees (6,900) to get a sense of the place. I will probably play mostly from purple (7,700) for a nice challenge. I definitely want to try the tour tees at some point. Sam Saunders posted a 67 from the tour tees for the current course record. One of my favorite features of many candidates was from the 18th tee box you could see all but I think three of the greens, so you could look back and see everyone playing the holes you’d just journeyed through. It’s definitely the kind of place that has you thinking about the round long after and wanting to get back out there. Played with a member who was familiar with TPC, Harmony, Ptarmigan, and FCCC and her said this was his favorite. There aren’t hosers lining every hole and never will be because of the layout coursing through the arroyos. It’s just awesome. 

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

One drawback is that it’s not super walkable. In fact the guy in the pro shop told me you’re not allowed to walk, but I bet that might be negotiable. I think it might not be too bad to walk. The other thing is that some of the holes are still under construction, but that’s kind of cool because 13 wasn’t playing right, because it was sloped too much to the waste area and good drives were bounding into the arroyo, so they are widening the fairway to the left, which shows they are willing to make necessary changes. 

Another positive is the natural cart paths, so you don’t look out and see a bunch of concrete. It feels like the course is natural, found, discovered. 

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS