Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

On 1/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, pseudoswede said:
  • What gear do plan on buying this year?

I'm looking for a 2-iron-ish club that I can actually hit without topping or duck hooking. Maybe a 3-iron-ish club, too.

As noted in my signature, I picked up a 2H from CPO for $80 after trade-in. I've literally hit about 10 balls with it, and I need a range session to figure out where I need to position it in my stance. But really, I expect to only hit it off the tee where a driver is too much.

On a whim, I found a used G410 LST going for about 15% less than the going rate on eBay. I've been hitting it okay, with my miss still a semi-smother hook off the heel.  Then last week, I found a new Ventus Black 7X going for super cheap (basically new for the price of average used--and 10% off that) on eBay from a reputable seller (raregolfitems) who has gotten some praise on WRX. I threw an extra $30 for him to install a Ping sleeve adapter and grip. It will arrive today. I have no idea when I'll be able to swing it next time.

Highlands Ranch Golf Club was in great shape--save for a few greens were a bunch of people couldn't be bothered to repair their pitch marks. I can't imagine that @TheKrushh whips out the driver very often on the front 9. The front 9 also isn't the most walker-friendly with long walks between holes and the brutal uphill slog on 8 and 9. 

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

40 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Just found out that we have a company holiday on Monday. Trying to find a tee time, and mornings are all booked up all over the place. Argh.

I guess I'll just clean out the garage.

There are still openings in the CGA member play day at Flying Horse that I'm playing in, although that's a really long drive for you. https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3658956

Ahh nevermind. Looks like they closed registration on this.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

There are still openings in the CGA member play day at Flying Horse that I'm playing in, although that's a really long drive for you. https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3658956

Ahh nevermind. Looks like they closed registration on this.

Regular Flying Horse or the North Course?

7 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

As noted in my signature, I picked up a 2H from CPO for $80 after trade-in. I've literally hit about 10 balls with it, and I need a range session to figure out where I need to position it in my stance. But really, I expect to only hit it off the tee where a driver is too much.

On a whim, I found a used G410 LST going for about 15% less than the going rate on eBay. I've been hitting it okay, with my miss still a semi-smother hook off the heel.  Then last week, I found a new Ventus Black 7X going for super cheap (basically new for the price of average used--and 10% off that) on eBay from a reputable seller (raregolfitems) who has gotten some praise on WRX. I threw an extra $30 for him to install a Ping sleeve adapter and grip. It will arrive today. I have no idea when I'll be able to swing it next time.

Highlands Ranch Golf Club was in great shape--save for a few greens were a bunch of people couldn't be bothered to repair their pitch marks. I can't imagine that @TheKrushh whips out the driver very often on the front 9. The front 9 also isn't the most walker-friendly with long walks between holes and the brutal uphill slog on 8 and 9. 

It's a terrible walking course, can be done but it's not ideal. I hit driver on 1, 2, 9, 11, and 18. Everything else is 2 iron or less. Fun course when the greens are running good but definitely makes your handicap lower than it should be. 

They have the Ron Moore this weekend which is DU's women's tournament. I like to hop the fence and watch a few of them play hole 10.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

8 hours ago, Dancin said:

It's the original Weiskopf Course

In-laws are members there, hardly ever let me out, but that’s a fun track, looks CRAZY hard from the tees, it’s not.

North course a solo design by Phil Smith, Weiskopf’s post Morish design partner. Itching to get out, in-laws 😢

13 hours ago, ztull said:

In-laws are members there, hardly ever let me out, but that’s a fun track, looks CRAZY hard from the tees, it’s not.

North course a solo design by Phil Smith, Weiskopf’s post Morish design partner. Itching to get out, in-laws 😢

Do they have to play with you or what's the deal with that? Part of a father in law who golfs is the hookup! 

24 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

Do they have to play with you or what's the deal with that? Part of a father in law who golfs is the hookup! 

They have to play with me although they are a little more lenient when they've gone to temp greens, which they do SUPER early, I think after the first snow. 

Father in law not so bad, has been dealing with some health issues the last couple of years. Mother in law spends a full minute standing over the ball before each shot. Best complement I can give to the course is it's almost, ALMOST worth playing with my MIL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CDM said:

Perfect morning but damn cold.  Totally forgot how cold it feels with some humidity 😫 

20221007_092355.jpg

This course looks nice. May have missed it in the rest of the thread but where’s this at? 

Driver - Callaway Paradym TD Night Mode | 10.5° | HZRDUS RDX Blue 60g 6.5  

5w - Callaway Paradym TD | 18° | HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 

Hybrid - Titleist TSi2 | 21° | HZRDUS Black RDX 90g 6.5

Irons - Callaway X Forged (2024) | 4-PW | N.S. Pro Modus120x 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws Raw | 50° 54° 58° | DG S400 

Putter - 2023 Bettinardi Studio B Reserve QB6 

Bag - Vessel Player IV Pro (Gray) 

Ball - Z Star XV 

On 10/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, 007iron said:

I'm going to Prairie Dunes for the Fried Egg event two Mondays from now - should I be excited?

19 hours ago, Dancin said:

Yes. It deserves it's top 100 world ranking. I like Ballyneal better but it's excellent.

Bally and PD are both EXCELLENT, each deserving of the praise they receive.   

Don't try to over power it, it can get you in big trouble real fast.    It is not that bad off the tee unless you spray it or try to bomb it.  *The "gunch"  (fescue) is down right now so should be helping.

Course is about approach shot and short game.  The largest green on the course is 4900 sf and down to 3400sf. *4300sf average   

The issue is the "useable" area given false edges probably removes another 10% or so.  Additionally you will notice almost ALL greens are above you on approach, so keep that in mind. 

I explain PD as "old school". I just tell everyone to enjoy it for what it is.

Edit: Never played with you @007iron but white tees are about 6100 yards, scratch player is expected to shot 2 over.  Tips are around 7000 and scratch player is expected to shot 6 over...  Par is only 70

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, ztull said:

I've had that conversation with a few guys at top 100 courses who were dropping off. The big problem at higher quality courses is you can just have your pro call. 

Definitely not a problem. I've had my pro call several private courses and I haven't been turned down yet. I will say that I end up saying no at some of the rates I get quoted, but they always say yes.

However, as people mentioned it's definitely preferable to play with a member. The downside for TG is now they are charging for it.

I joined TG earlier this year after you guys were talking about it. I hosted a guy from a Trump course in the Boston area and that was all I've used the app for. Now since my value is -1 I haven't hosted enough for the free version and I also haven't used it to actually go play a course either. I'm debating paying the $60 for the year if it will be worth it.

Edited by Joelness

On 10/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, pseudoswede said:

I had a 410 LST for several years and I LOVED IT. I would still be rocking it if it hadn't cracked on me.

I have a 2h and a 2i. The 2h has been in my bag for almost ten years now (titleist 913h) and at this point it won't get pulled unless it breaks. 😭 at my 913F 15* that broke this year.

If anyone wants a Callway '21 UT 18* lmk!

On 10/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, TheKrushh said:

It's a terrible walking course, can be done but it's not ideal. I hit driver on 1, 2, 9, 11, and 18. Everything else is 2 iron or less. Fun course when the greens are running good but definitely makes your handicap lower than it should be. 

They have the Ron Moore this weekend which is DU's women's tournament. I like to hop the fence and watch a few of them play hole 10.

I just like watching college girls with a golf swing 🤤. I'm almost old enough to feel bad about it but I'm not there just yet.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, Dancin said:

Yes. It deserves it's top 100 world ranking. I like Ballyneal better but it's excellent.

Dancin likes Ballyneal?! Who knew?!?!

Now I have to be honest. He hosted me, my wife, and my dad about a month ago. We got in around sunset on Friday and while we are eating dinner my wife turns to me and says "so when are we joining here?" She hadn't even played a hole yet! I must admit, it's incredible being married to a golfer.

While I'm here mentioning her I need to brag that she is our club champ! I'm so proud

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

Definitely not a problem. I've had my pro call several private courses and I haven't been turned down yet. I will say that I end up saying no at some of the rates I get quoted, but they always say yes.

However, as people mentioned it's definitely preferable to play with a member. The downside for TG is now they are charging for it.

I joined TG earlier this year after you guys were talking about it. I hosted a guy from a Trump course in the Boston area and that was all I've used the app for. Now since my value is -1 I haven't hosted enough for the free version and I also haven't used it to actually go play a course either. I'm debating paying the $60 for the year if it will be worth it.

What tier are you? 

I played Raindance National on Friday. I played from the Tips (purple not tour) and it was around 7800. Definitely was a fun course, cool vibe, and the greens were much better than I was expecting for how new it was.  I had a couple 340 drives where I still had 200 in to a par 4. It was really, really fun to play that set up. Views and canyons were MUCH better than I was expecting.

I'd recommend at least seeing it once but I imagine not all will rate it highly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Olive I think (bottom tier). Fox Hill is private, but not high on the list.

From the Olive tier I would keep it just to peep the redo at Glenmoor but I’m a big Pete Dye guy. 

I'm also happy to set that up next year just message me. I’m going the other way with the net value system, hoping to give them $600 in 2024 😉

3 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

I played Raindance National on Friday. I played from the Tips (purple not tour) and it was around 7800. Definitely was a fun course, cool vibe, and the greens were much better than I was expecting for how new it was.  I had a couple 340 drives where I still had 200 in to a par 4. It was really, really fun to play that set up. Views and canyons were MUCH better than I was expecting.

I'd recommend at least seeing it once but I imagine not all will rate it highly.

I played it Saturday from the same tees. Think I’m in the camp that wouldn’t rate it highly. If I’d paid for the round it would’ve left a bit of a sour taste. I don’t think it’s worth $275 peak rate. Routing was strange, our group got lost a few times and we watched the group behind us do the same in a few spots. The location of the range is asinine. A couple of my playing partners got hit by a ball driving down to it. 

Thought the conditioning was great and yeah the greens are FANTASTIC. Overall though I thought the course didn’t have a good sense of what kind of course it wanted to be. Strange mix of parkland, desert, links, and resort golf that didn’t seem cohesive. Almost like it was 18 individual holes designed separately with no thought to flow. 

That said, I do want to play it again because I had zero clue where to put a lot of the tee shots, ha. And I’ll play anywhere if it’s free 😉

• Like 3

Driver - Callaway Paradym TD Night Mode | 10.5° | HZRDUS RDX Blue 60g 6.5  

5w - Callaway Paradym TD | 18° | HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 

Hybrid - Titleist TSi2 | 21° | HZRDUS Black RDX 90g 6.5

Irons - Callaway X Forged (2024) | 4-PW | N.S. Pro Modus120x 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws Raw | 50° 54° 58° | DG S400 

Putter - 2023 Bettinardi Studio B Reserve QB6 

Bag - Vessel Player IV Pro (Gray) 

Ball - Z Star XV 

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

Olive I think (bottom tier). Fox Hill is private, but not high on the list.

1 hour ago, ztull said:

From the Olive tier I would keep it just to peep the redo at Glenmoor but I’m a big Pete Dye guy. 

I'm also happy to set that up next year just message me. I’m going the other way with the net value system, hoping to give them $600 in 2024 😉

I think TG is great idea overall and I understand why they had to do ranking but not being able to request above your tier I can see people not seeing value.  *It seems like everyone has it blocked for requests to tiers below them?  

I wondered if they should allow maybe 2 request a year to upper levels (1 level above or 2 above?) to keep more interest in the app maybe?  Just a thought.

@Joelness if you have hosted and not requested to play anywhere (been hosted) you should not be paying at a negative rating?  Unless I read it wrong. 

If next March's trip goes down as planned, I will be like @ztull and either having to host 6 rounds to even out or just pay the upper range.    Granted the courses we are playing the fee is soo worth the price. 

4 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

1 hour ago, bardezart said:

I played it Saturday from the same tees. Think I’m in the camp that wouldn’t rate it highly. If I’d paid for the round it would’ve left a bit of a sour taste. I don’t think it’s worth $275 peak rate. Routing was strange, our group got lost a few times and we watched the group behind us do the same in a few spots. The location of the range is asinine. A couple of my playing partners got hit by a ball driving down to it. 

Thought the conditioning was great and yeah the greens are FANTASTIC. Overall though I thought the course didn’t have a good sense of what kind of course it wanted to be. Strange mix of parkland, desert, links, and resort golf that didn’t seem cohesive. Almost like it was 18 individual holes designed separately with no thought to flow. 

That said, I do want to play it again because I had zero clue where to put a lot of the tee shots, ha. And I’ll play anywhere if it’s free 😉

I played it Sunday with a friend from the tip tips (the back of the tour tees) to make sure we played it as long as possible to see what it would be like and so we could say we played the longest course in North America: 8,463 yards. Our bet was not the score (my buddy is a +1, I'm a 3), but rather who could finish the round losing the least amount of balls. Lost balls were stroke and distance, no local rule of playing stuff in the junk as a hazard. We both marked our first ball D1 (for Devon's first ball) and E1 (for Eben) respectively, and if you lost one you had to mark the next one D2, D3 etc. I brought two dozen Bridgestone e6 I had bought at Walmart because I had no idea what to expect (the other day I played from Purple and lost seven balls in six holes and had to quit). I actually finished on D4 (only lost three balls!) and he finished on E7, so I won the bet. He shot 92 (not bad, I guess, for losing 6 balls!) and I shot 95. TBH, a lot of my strokes were around the greens because the first time I played there the greens were really slow as they had just been punched so they were full of holes and shaggy and sandy, but I got it in my mind that they were just going to defend the course with length and make the greens pretty easy. That is not the case. Those babies were firm and fast on Sunday and I just could not get that idea out of my head that they were going to be slow, linksy style greens like Scotland and I just could not get my ball to stop around the hole, so lots of three putts and failed up and downs (I also took a 9 on 10 as the pin was in a crazy place). There were a few holes that were a forced 285+ carry off the tee to get over the junk, so you had to swing hard and hit it solid and straight. And even then you could have 230 into a par 4 over an arroyo... It was super fun, we had a great time, what an experience.

There were a few drawbacks, though, that make me not want to officially join when my free one-year membership is up. We teed off at 10:30 and I had never seen the course that busy. Our round took us 5.5 hours, it was brutal. Waiting a long time on each hole as all the groups in front of us searched the desert and arroyos for their wayward shots. It was also painful because there was a group of three older ladies behind us who were clearly members, and as my friend and I stood on the second tee (the tour tee box is just off the first fairway a little short of the first green) waiting for the group in front of us to hit their second shots and move, this lady goes "Are you waiting for them to hit?" and my friend and I were like "Oh, no, we just got lost in the beauty of it all  and thought we'd sit here and talk about it for 10 minutes." We didn't actually say that, we just said "yes" but the implication was clear: "You guys aren't members (although I am), you shouldn't be playing those tees, you don't know what you're doing, get out of our way". It was made all the more awkward because the yellow tees are literally like 250 yards or more in front of the tour tees, so there were times when they would literally drive ahead of us to the yellow tees while we looked for or hit our second shots like from behind them or next to them. So so awkward. But we also didn't want to be up the group's butt in front of us, so we were just kind of sandwiched into this really awkward spot where these ladies were just sitting there watching and judging us. So uncomfortable. We let them play through after nine, even though there was absolutely nowhere to go and we were in no way the group responsible for holding the course up, and I can tell you the "Thank you" we got was extremely begrudging.

Other things I didn't like were the natural cart paths. At first I thought I liked them, the way they blended into the rugged terrain, but when you're out there for 5.5 hours on a hot, dusty day and everyone has to drive carts, it gets dusty. My bag is all dusty, eyes and clothes and skin and hair felt like they were filled with dust. Not my favorite. Also there were tons of bunkers that were just completely not raked. Footprints everywhere. I'm not going to pay $15,000 to join and $600 a month to play 5.5 hour rounds on a course that suffers from what all the most packed public courses struggle with. No way. I think I'd like to play there about 2-4 times per year, max, which would put my greens fees at about $10,000 per round. No thanks. And if I never played it again because it went fully private exclusive (which I don't think will ever happen, they are already offering promotional deals to try to get people to join), I'd be okay, as I got to play it at least once from the tips. But it would be kind of cool to see if I could continue to lower my score out there from the tour tees, although it wouldn't be worth the chaos and judgment you get from the other golfers, especially if your'e having to reload a bunch. It just doesn't have the exclusive, private feel they are going for, but maybe all clubs that want to be that have to start out jamming the tee sheet to get the word out and make some revenue??

• Like 4

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

15 hours ago, CDM said:

I think TG is great idea overall and I understand why they had to do ranking but not being able to request above your tier I can see people not seeing value.  *It seems like everyone has it blocked for requests to tiers below them?  

I wondered if they should allow maybe 2 request a year to upper levels (1 level above or 2 above?) to keep more interest in the app maybe?  Just a thought.

@Joelness if you have hosted and not requested to play anywhere (been hosted) you should not be paying at a negative rating?  Unless I read it wrong. 

If next March's trip goes down as planned, I will be like @ztull and either having to host 6 rounds to even out or just pay the upper range.    Granted the courses we are playing the fee is soo worth the price. 

Apparently you have to be at least at -2 to get the free app. When I tried to login Monday I was greeted with the shiny new "pay here" buttons.

19 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I played it Sunday with a friend from the tip tips (the back of the tour tees) to make sure we played it as long as possible to see what it would be like and so we could say we played the longest course in North America: 8,463 yards. Our bet was not the score (my buddy is a +1, I'm a 3), but rather who could finish the round losing the least amount of balls. Lost balls were stroke and distance, no local rule of playing stuff in the junk as a hazard. We both marked our first ball D1 (for Devon's first ball) and E1 (for Eben) respectively, and if you lost one you had to mark the next one D2, D3 etc. I brought two dozen Bridgestone e6 I had bought at Walmart because I had no idea what to expect (the other day I played from Purple and lost seven balls in six holes and had to quit). I actually finished on D4 (only lost three balls!) and he finished on E7, so I won the bet. He shot 92 (not bad, I guess, for losing 6 balls!) and I shot 95. TBH, a lot of my strokes were around the greens because the first time I played there the greens were really slow as they had just been punched so they were full of holes and shaggy and sandy, but I got it in my mind that they were just going to defend the course with length and make the greens pretty easy. That is not the case. Those babies were firm and fast on Sunday and I just could not get that idea out of my head that they were going to be slow, linksy style greens like Scotland and I just could not get my ball to stop around the hole, so lots of three putts and failed up and downs (I also took a 9 on 10 as the pin was in a crazy place). There were a few holes that were a forced 285+ carry off the tee to get over the junk, so you had to swing hard and hit it solid and straight. And even then you could have 230 into a par 4 over an arroyo... It was super fun, we had a great time, what an experience.

There were a few drawbacks, though, that make me not want to officially join when my free one-year membership is up. We teed off at 10:30 and I had never seen the course that busy. Our round took us 5.5 hours, it was brutal. Waiting a long time on each hole as all the groups in front of us searched the desert and arroyos for their wayward shots. It was also painful because there was a group of three older ladies behind us who were clearly members, and as my friend and I stood on the second tee (the tour tee box is just off the first fairway a little short of the first green) waiting for the group in front of us to hit their second shots and move, this lady goes "Are you waiting for them to hit?" and my friend and I were like "Oh, no, we just got lost in the beauty of it all  and thought we'd sit here and talk about it for 10 minutes." We didn't actually say that, we just said "yes" but the implication was clear: "You guys aren't members (although I am), you shouldn't be playing those tees, you don't know what you're doing, get out of our way". It was made all the more awkward because the yellow tees are literally like 250 yards or more in front of the tour tees, so there were times when they would literally drive ahead of us to the yellow tees while we looked for or hit our second shots like from behind them or next to them. So so awkward. But we also didn't want to be up the group's butt in front of us, so we were just kind of sandwiched into this really awkward spot where these ladies were just sitting there watching and judging us. So uncomfortable. We let them play through after nine, even though there was absolutely nowhere to go and we were in no way the group responsible for holding the course up, and I can tell you the "Thank you" we got was extremely begrudging.

Other things I didn't like were the natural cart paths. At first I thought I liked them, the way they blended into the rugged terrain, but when you're out there for 5.5 hours on a hot, dusty day and everyone has to drive carts, it gets dusty. My bag is all dusty, eyes and clothes and skin and hair felt like they were filled with dust. Not my favorite. Also there were tons of bunkers that were just completely not raked. Footprints everywhere. I'm not going to pay $15,000 to join and $600 a month to play 5.5 hour rounds on a course that suffers from what all the most packed public courses struggle with. No way. I think I'd like to play there about 2-4 times per year, max, which would put my greens fees at about $10,000 per round. No thanks. And if I never played it again because it went fully private exclusive (which I don't think will ever happen, they are already offering promotional deals to try to get people to join), I'd be okay, as I got to play it at least once from the tips. But it would be kind of cool to see if I could continue to lower my score out there from the tour tees, although it wouldn't be worth the chaos and judgment you get from the other golfers, especially if your'e having to reload a bunch. It just doesn't have the exclusive, private feel they are going for, but maybe all clubs that want to be that have to start out jamming the tee sheet to get the word out and make some revenue??

Boy, this sure sounds a lot like most of my biggest overall complaints of being a member at Colorado National. Don't be a member of a long, native filled semi-private course.... ever. I would be hitting balls on the member range and see guys walk up to the tips on 1 next to the restaurant and proceed to hit four balls 🤦‍♂️.

Wait, was this you Bobby? 😉

14 hours ago, Dancin said:

So that's why you got injured. You'd never hear the end of it if you didn't win the men's side. 😀

It's just a coincidence that it happened two days before the ladies club championship, I swear.....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Pace of play was awful on Friday as well. They will need to get something resolved or they are going to have really big issues. They definitely have a huge problem with guys playing "too far back" for the experience and then NOT keeping up with the group in front. Our round was well over 5. They claimed they will have marshalls and stuff next year but I don't believe that they will be able to get their "resort-style" groups around that place in any type of reasonable manner. The two some in front of us for instance was playing the purple tees like I was and most of their tee balls were 240-260. The guy hit a tee ball 240 and then was waiting for the island green to clear from around 300 yards. I was definitely pointing that out and apparently my loud voice was carrying downwind which didn't go over super well...

Again, do whatever makes you happy on a golf course as long as 1. you keep pace of play 2. it doesn't damage the golf course or someone else's experience.

• Like 2