2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

5 hours ago, ASak10 said:

You know @CDM, I'm going to just print out your email and keep it handy.  That way, the next time my wife complains about a 3-5 day golf trip I'm taking, I'll just pull it out and ask if she'd prefer that I plan a trip like that instead 🤣

What an awesome lineup and trip!  

LOL good luck 🤣   

1000% I would not be able to do this size of golf trip but it literally feel into my lap because of the wife...! 

It was a set family trip to AUS since my sister in law lives there.  A golf buddy(Paul) and his wife were looking at going so we got together and we set it up to overlap a few days in Melbourne for 2-3 rounds.  

The wife took a new job and it all went out the door and our family trip got moved to late 2024.   The wife knew I wanted to play a number of courses in the area (more then 2-3 rounds) and she suggested if Paul could go, we should go and get it out of my system.   

I did concede when we go back I will not play... "maybe" ..... 😇    The SIL was just here for a week so still got to see her. 

Now Paul's wife ......... that was a totally different discussion HAHAHAHA 

EDIT:  This is the type of trip I wish you could get a large group and do, like 8 people.  Many on this thread love golf....or we would not post all the time like we do.  It would be great to see what people like or dislike about each course and debate it over a few pints. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

Alright crazy golfers, it's time to open a can of worms:

Last year I got sick of missing as many 10-20 footers and felt it was time to finally bench my Scotty. I bought a Betti blade with that gorgeous raised toe.

For some reason, I'm awful with it. I mean..... awful, like starting putts 3-10* offline. I go back to the Scotty for a men's league event on Saturday (delayed 3 times and only a par 3, huzzah!!!!) and made 70'-80' of putts. Sometimes ol' trusty just needs to be benched to see who is boss?

I will no longer touch the Betti. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person to have this experience.

NOTE: It's amazing how fast confidence flies away when you look up and your ball is already left by a foot. Brain poison right there 

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

Last year I got sick of missing as many 10-20 footers and felt it was time to finally bench my Scotty. I bought a Betti blade with that gorgeous raised toe.

For some reason, I'm awful with it. I mean..... awful, like starting putts 3-10* offline. I go back to the Scotty for a men's league event on Saturday (delayed 3 times and only a par 3, huzzah!!!!) and made 70'-80' of putts. Sometimes ol' trusty just needs to be benched to see who is boss?

I will no longer touch the Betti. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person to have this experience.

NOTE: It's amazing how fast confidence flies away when you look up and your ball is already left by a foot. Brain poison right there 

Ha, I’ve been down this rabbit hole. Finally got fit for a putter (realizing I needed 0-0.5° loft was a game changer), then started using aim point, and… wow. My putting has gotten loads better. Cam Smith’s attitude of “trying to hit a good putt” but not “trying to make it” has also helped immensely these last couple of seasons. Some days it’s there and some days it isn’t 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym TD Night Mode | 10.5° | HZRDUS RDX Blue 60g 6.5  

5w - Callaway Paradym TD | 18° | HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 

Hybrid - Titleist TSi2 | 21° | HZRDUS Black RDX 90g 6.5

Irons - Callaway X Forged (2024) | 4-PW | N.S. Pro Modus120x 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws Raw | 50° 54° 58° | DG S400 

Putter - 2023 Bettinardi Studio B Reserve QB6 

Bag - Vessel Player IV Pro (Gray) 

Ball - Z Star XV 

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

when you look up and your ball is already left by a foot.

Just a foot? Tell me your secret! 😄

I will say that my putting this season was probably better than my usual. It felt like I sank a lot more 3-5 footers. It's not like I spent time working on my putting, so probably an anomaly. I'm sure I'll be back to missing 2-footers with ease next year.

• Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

12 hours ago, Joelness said:

@Dancin and I played awhile back and I could not make a 2 footer. Your 1000% right it is brain posion.  I stood over putts and was not sure where it was going. 

I didn't pitch the Scotty though (..really couldn't as only played 2 putters in 17 years LOL).   

Driving me nuts so got out the GoPro.  WOW was I out of alignment which made my stroke all over the place...!!  It was my setup. Where I thought I was aligned Vs body was not even close. Got into an open stance and then pushing the ball out to the right.  Made my stroke even worse.... looked like Jim Furyk swing but with a putter  😂

Worked on 10-5 footers a few weeks... setting up sqaure, picking the right spot, stroke a bit inside, etc.  Putting is back and feel like I can make anything again.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Unless you consistently hit the sweet spot of your putter, get an Evnroll or one of the Pings that has the newer face that does something similar to Evnroll (but not quite as effective). Everything else that doesn't have a variable face to auto correct mishits is hurting you. It's a shame Guerin won't license his putter face patent. I think the Evnroll face combined with LA Golf's descending loft tech might be the perfect putter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CDM said:

Does anyone buy the access to D'Lance trackman bays for the winter?  Just wondering if they feel it was worth it.  Trying to remember the new place in Parker?

There are actually two new places in Parker...

https://theswingbays.com/ (this one was recommended up-thread)

https://www.2eaglegolf.com/ (at Mainstreet and Parker Rd. next to Safeway; must buy membership)

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Does anyone buy the access to D'Lance trackman bays for the winter?  Just wondering if they feel it was worth it.  Trying to remember the new place in Parker?

I thought someone on here had in the past. They have some pretty cheap multi month plans if you use it more than once a week and 24 hour access too. They're doing indoor leagues again this winter also. Personally I think indoor trackman golf still sucks. Mostly fine till you get within wedge distance. Even with the metal stickers on the ball, trackman doesn't track wedge shots correctly. @Joelness - Is the GCQuad a lot better at tracking wedge shot spin?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I thought someone on here had in the past. They have some pretty cheap multi month plans if you use it more than once a week and 24 hour access too. They're doing indoor leagues again this winter also. Personally I think indoor trackman golf still sucks. Mostly fine till you get within wedge distance. Even with the metal stickers on the ball, trackman doesn't track wedge shots correctly. @Joelness - Is the GCQuad a lot better at tracking wedge shot spin?

Yeah, it's awesome. Since it's only reading impact it doesn't matter too much what club/shot it is.

The only issues I run into are with the ProV1 yellows putting and driving. I use them for beating balls because they are 10x more durable than the whites. I think it's the reflective flakes in the cover of the yellow balls that messes up the reading of spin at the extremes because it's optically based. Otherwise, everything else is creepily accurate. I've probably had ~20 times in the last 15 months that I just didn't believe what it told me actually happened.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Yeah, it's awesome. Since it's only reading impact it doesn't matter too much what club/shot it is.

The only issues I run into are with the ProV1 yellows putting and driving. I use them for beating balls because they are 10x more durable than the whites. I think it's the reflective flakes in the cover of the yellow balls that messes up the reading of spin at the extremes because it's optically based. Otherwise, everything else is creepily accurate. I've probably had ~20 times in the last 15 months that I just didn't believe what it told me actually happened.

This reminds me that I’ve gotten the chance to get out with the Mevo+ a couple times. Got to shoot yardages with the rangefinder and verify shot shape by hitting on the range. Seems to be pretty spot on outdoors. Shot -1 at Walnut on Sunday after using it before the round. Should be a useful little tool next season. 

• Like 2

Ball - Z Star XV 

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Nice. It's a shame all the indoor places are going with trackman when the gc quad is cheaper and more accurate. I would guess the main reason is the trackman can be positioned out of harms way behind the players plus probably name recognition. When I played in a winter trackman league there would be 10-20 shots a night that everyone would agree should be replayed and the putting recognition was so bad we went with the auto putt functions.

1 minute ago, Dancin said:

Nice. It's a shame all the indoor places are going with trackman when the gc quad is cheaper and more accurate. I would guess the main reason is the trackman can be positioned out of harms way behind the players plus probably name recognition. When I played in a winter trackman league there would be 10-20 shots a night that everyone would agree should be replayed and the putting recognition was so bad we went with the auto putt functions.

Really helps that Trackman can be kept in a glass box way behind the hitting zone. Any lefties would make using a Quad pretty difficult. Plus the club stickers if people are looking for club data would be another turn off I’d imagine if places are doing fitting and SIM play. I’ve only ever hit on the overhead GC units but yeah indoors, Trackman definitely has issues. I hate short game on any SIM. Wrecks my feel entirely putting or chipping into a screen no matter how accurate it is. 

Ball - Z Star XV 

20 hours ago, Joelness said:

Bench the Scotty and find yourself a Byron Morgan like my putter you used at LPGA International!  You putted pretty well with my Epic Day!  😁

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

12 hours ago, bardezart said:

Really helps that Trackman can be kept in a glass box way behind the hitting zone. Any lefties would make using a Quad pretty difficult. Plus the club stickers if people are looking for club data would be another turn off I’d imagine if places are doing fitting and SIM play. I’ve only ever hit on the overhead GC units but yeah indoors, Trackman definitely has issues. I hate short game on any SIM. Wrecks my feel entirely putting or chipping into a screen no matter how accurate it is. 

Yes, having a GCQ right next to the hitting area in a commercial situation is not ideal. Still, the overhead would be nicer than the TM indoors. The lefty thing is a real problem. My brother and main practice partner is a lefty and it sucks to play actual golf on it with him. We basically have to play the entire hole individually otherwise it's too much switching back and forth and lining things up.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, Joelness said:

This is interesting with the yellow balls. I have a GC3 in the garage and am amazed how quickly the balls wear out beating them into the screen. I might try some yellows to see if they are more durable. I have been buying Kirkland balls so I can use new balls but at a decent price.

Had a couple friends over last night and ended up playing nearly 5 hours. The GC3 only missed a couple balls the whole time. Sometimes the GC3 has frustrating connection issues but I have been really impressed with its accuracy given the $3k price tag.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, CDM said:

Here is the list of courses we have set. 

*Minus Tara iti as waiting until January to see if we can get on.

NZL

https://www.paraparaumubeachgolfclub.co.nz/

https://wairakeigolfcourse.co.nz/

https://www.titirangigolf.co.nz/

https://www.taraiti.com/     TBD 

https://tearai.com/     *If Tara iti is a no go will probably play here… though damn expensive and not sure worth the $$$...cost more then 4 rounds at top privates in MEL...! 

TAS 

https://barnbougle.com.au/     (Lost Farms / Dunes and short course) 

AUS 

https://www.peninsulakingswood.com.au/cms/  (North)

http://www.kingstonheath.melbourne/

https://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/cms/  (West) 

We have time for one more round in MEL (sort of) but wondering if we will be spent by then so we only booked 3 rounds as of right now: 

Optional courses that gracious members are willing to host  https://www.victoriagolf.com.au/cms/  or https://www.metropolitangolf.com.au/cms/ 

EDIT: Corrected the PK link....  not why it was listing PK and going to Metro???

I think this is a solid itinerary. I did a similar trip with a few buddies 5 years ago. I wish we had done Tara Iti but sadly we didn’t and Te Arai didn’t exist yet. We started in Sidney, then hit Melbourne, Tasmania and finished in NZ. Cape Kidnappers was fine but I don’t think you’re missing much. Much preferred Kuari Cliffs. You got on Royal Melbourne which is great. Was also the cheapest round of our trip. I can’t believe how much they want for Cape Kidnappers now. Barnbougle was also great and also relatively cheap. My favorite course I think was New South Wales near Sidney. 

Just one other thing. We were there near Christmas and the flies in Australia were awful. Literally hundreds of them swarming on and around you. Apparently the females like to suck your sweat for protein. They don’t bite though. We tried several different repellents and nothing worked. Not sure how bad they’ll be when you’re going. Didn’t bother us so much in the city but on the golf course was very irritating. If I were going back I would bring my sun gaiter I use for fly fishing. https://www.simmsfishing.com/collections/fishing-sun-protection/products/sungaiter-sale

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdiemachine said:

Just one other thing. We were there near Christmas and the flies in Australia were awful. Literally hundreds of them swarming on and around you. Apparently the females like to suck your sweat for protein. They don’t bite though. We tried several different repellents and nothing worked. Not sure how bad they’ll be when you’re going. Didn’t bother us so much in the city but on the golf course was very irritating. If I were going back I would bring my sun gaiter I use for fly fishing. https://www.simmsfishing.com/collections/fishing-sun-protection/products/sungaiter-sale

He's going in April so the flies should be mostly gone by then.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, Joelness said:

2022 was a year of experimentation for me as well. I actually bought a bunch of different putters and tried them all out. At the end of the year... back to the same thing I've always known and used. A 35" Anser. Sometimes the mallets and face balanced feel nice and give confidence, but putting is all about matching speed and line, and that takes incredible feel and some athleticism and artistry. I just didn't feel I had that with the big mallets and the face balanced putters. I love looking down at that sleek, beautiful, anser head and having it feel like a natural extension of myself. Looking forward to 2022.

Incidentally, same thing happened with irons. I'm sick of the chunky, offset, fat soles. I don't think they give that much extra "forgiveness." I can't feel where the face is at as much, and they just don't feel as precise through the turf and at impact. So I picked up a set of beautiful P7MBs and I am in love. I track my strokes gained approach with an app and the strokes gained improved after I switched from i200 to P7MB. It's the same thing as the Anser putter. Just feels sleek and responsive. Super looking forward to 2023.

• Like 3

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 12/16/2022 at 12:43 PM, Hardrain said:

This is interesting with the yellow balls. I have a GC3 in the garage and am amazed how quickly the balls wear out beating them into the screen. I might try some yellows to see if they are more durable. I have been buying Kirkland balls so I can use new balls but at a decent price.

Had a couple friends over last night and ended up playing nearly 5 hours. The GC3 only missed a couple balls the whole time. Sometimes the GC3 has frustrating connection issues but I have been really impressed with its accuracy given the $3k price tag.

Not all yellows are more durable. I've heard from friends that the TP5's are less durable but when it comes to ProV1's there is no question the yellows are more durable. I basically have 8-10 whites around for when I play a course and 8-10 yellows for wedge and iron work which is most of my swings.

Yeah, the GC3 is solid! I think they mostly shifted the costs onto the subscription side. They kept the quality though and can probably produce those cameras much cheaper than they used to.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:48 AM, birdiemachine said:

I think this is a solid itinerary. I did a similar trip with a few buddies 5 years ago. I wish we had done Tara Iti but sadly we didn’t and Te Arai didn’t exist yet. We started in Sidney, then hit Melbourne, Tasmania and finished in NZ. Cape Kidnappers was fine but I don’t think you’re missing much. Much preferred Kuari Cliffs. You got on Royal Melbourne which is great. Was also the cheapest round of our trip. I can’t believe how much they want for Cape Kidnappers now. Barnbougle was also great and also relatively cheap. My favorite course I think was New South Wales near Sidney. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:46 AM, Dancin said:

He's going in April so the flies should be mostly gone by then.

@Dancin has it right.  Part the reason we tried to plan it at that time.  I figure we will still have the potential for them.

Love Simms gear. MT boy here and grew up fishing all over the state.  Personal opinion but feel the South Fork of the Flathead has some the best fly fishing you will ever find. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Not all yellows are more durable. I've heard from friends that the TP5's are less durable but when it comes to ProV1's there is no question the yellows are more durable. I basically have 8-10 whites around for when I play a course and 8-10 yellows for wedge and iron work which is most of my swings.

Yeah, the GC3 is solid! I think they mostly shifted the costs onto the subscription side.

The Foresight subscripts are wild but I now just roll with the basic subscription for $250 a year and use GSPro Software for the driving range and playing courses. Have you checked out GSPro? Its $250 a year and includes basically any course you could want to play with independent course developers (GSPro probably has a dozen Colorado offerings). Way better than Foresight offerings which want like $400 or something crazy just to purchase Pebble. Curious how GSPro might force Foresight and other expensive software models to change their strategy.

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

The Foresight subscripts are wild but I now just roll with the basic subscription for $250 a year and use GSPro Software for the driving range and playing courses. Have you checked out GSPro? Its $250 a year and includes basically any course you could want to play with independent course developers (GSPro probably has a dozen Colorado offerings). Way better than Foresight offerings which want like $400 or something crazy just to purchase Pebble. Curious how GSPro might force Foresight and other expensive software models to change their strategy.

Nice, that subscription price isn't bad at all.

YES, I've been waiting for a solid option at a good price point. The package I got came with 20 extra courses on FSX so I haven't had the "need" yet.  I have a friend that uses a different one with his used GC2 he bought but I can't remember the name of it. Last time I looked it was $2k