2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

On 8/22/2022 at 8:31 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Does Collindale typically keep their rough fairly short?  When we played there last week, if you missed in the trees you could punch the ball and run it up to or on the green At Highland Hills it’s so damn thick it just grabs your ball and eats it up. 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:47 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yeah the rough is usually not too thick there, which is nice because missing the fairway by one foot is usually penal enough! 😂😂😂

Miss the fairway by 5 feet and there is a good chance that the ball will be in trees or have an overhanging branch block the approach.  Golfers better know how to hit a low running punch shot and be able to move it right to left or left to right a bit.  Good 'ole Collindale where accuracy off the tee is a huge bonus!  🙂

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

So much going on in my life the past two weeks that prevent me from doing FRGC, couples league, or Thursday night beer league. I live vicariously through all your golfing (mis)adventures. Hopefully I'm back swinging again after Labor Day weekend.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

12 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

So much going on in my life the past two weeks that prevent me from doing FRGC, couples league, or Thursday night beer league. I live vicariously through all your golfing (mis)adventures. Hopefully I'm back swinging again after Labor Day weekend.

Hope everything is ok and you are able to get back out there. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Miss the fairway by 5 feet and there is a good chance that the ball will be in trees or have an overhanging branch block the approach.  Golfers better know how to hit a low running punch shot and be able to move it right to left or left to right a bit.  Good 'ole Collindale where accuracy off the tee is a huge bonus!  🙂

Admittedly my Collindale experience is very limited.  But that was the biggest difference I noted from Highland Hills. You can actually bounce and run that punch shot shot and get enough distance to get it on or close to the green. The rough at HH just grabs that shot like it’s Velcro. I had a decent driving day hitting over half the fairways. Out of the ones I missed, which were all into the trees, all but one of them I was able to get on or very close to the green. Or maybe I just had a lucky day and my misses were In spots that left playable shots. 

And maybe it’s just because Collindale seems to fit my eye better, but to me, it is much more playable (because I’ve played it all of three times🙄).  One thing I know for sure, I really like that course. I’m kicking myself for not getting back there before now. And those greens are just so pure. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Admittedly my Collindale experience is very limited.  But that was the biggest difference I noted from Highland Hills. You can actually bounce and run that punch shot shot and get enough distance to get it on or close to the green. The rough at HH just grabs that shot like it’s Velcro. I had a decent driving day hitting over half the fairways. Out of the ones I missed, which were all into the trees, all but one of them I was able to get on or very close to the green. Or maybe I just had a lucky day and my misses were In spots that left playable shots. 

And maybe it’s just because Collindale seems to fit my eye better, but to me, it is much more playable (because I’ve played it all of three times🙄).  One thing I know for sure, I really like that course. I’m kicking myself for not getting back there before now. And those greens are just so pure. 

Absolutely, the greens are among the best greens in the state (when pitch marks are repaired and correctly done).  I have been absolutely spoiled putting on those greens.  They are fast but true.  Here in Florida Bermuda grass rules over the general golf scene and they are slower than what I am used to.  On the positive side, I can be more aggressive with my putts, something I would never do at Collindale, especially during tournament conditions.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Played a tourney at CGC yesterday and holy cow, what a fun time.  They set the pins to match the Sunday Solheim cup pin locations and yikes, some of those pins were in some tricky spots.  The course is in amazing shape and the greens were running so true.  I managed to shoot a 38 on the back with 2 birdies.  Don't ask about the front 9 🙃

I'm playing Lone Tree tomorrow, I don't think I've ever played out there so curious what the course and conditions are like.  Guess I'll find out soon enough.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I'm playing Lone Tree tomorrow, I don't think I've ever played out there so curious what the course and conditions are like.  Guess I'll find out soon enough.  

I've played the front 9 a few times this year. It's in darn good shape. Some of the greens are a bit iffy due to people not repairing their pitch marks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I've played Highland Hills (in Greeley, right?) once for a CGA Am qualifier. I saw a lot of similarities to Collindale, and I believe they are both the same architect/designer (Engh?). I agree with you Collindale is more playable. HH didn't seem to be in as good of condition, and I found a lot of kind of silly 90 degree dog legs at HH where the fairway doglegs at like 190 off the tee then you have another 190 to the hole or some such. Wasn't my favorite. I probably won't play again unless I have to for a qualifier. Collindale has a couple holes that dogleg, but the dogleg isn't as severe and is further out off the tee and gives you more options.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

33 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I've played Highland Hills (in Greeley, right?) once for a CGA Am qualifier. I saw a lot of similarities to Collindale, and I believe they are both the same architect/designer (Engh?). I agree with you Collindale is more playable. HH didn't seem to be in as good of condition, and I found a lot of kind of silly 90 degree dog legs at HH where the fairway doglegs at like 190 off the tee then you have another 190 to the hole or some such. Wasn't my favorite. I probably won't play again unless I have to for a qualifier. Collindale has a couple holes that dogleg, but the dogleg isn't as severe and is further out off the tee and gives you more options.

Perfect summation of HH.  I know some of the guys who really hit it high and long can go up over the top of a couple of those doglegs and get near the greens. Not being one of those people, I use a 4” tee, swing hard, then hope!  What’s scary is they’ve told me they’ve taken out a lot of trees over the last few years. It has been pretty scruffy this year. Around the time of the HH invitational there were a bunch of really bad areas. 

The doglegs at Collindale left enough room that I could play my normal shot (a snap hook). The doglegs at HH, I can’t do that. There just isn’t room. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got out on Fort Collins Country Club. Love that place. It truly felt like the ankle weights were off and I could run free! So much room out there! I have never felt so calm and comfortable after a whole summer of Collindale. My first five drives (we started off the back nine) were absolute glory. Wish I could have the same feel at CDale. We were playing the whites (old timers game), so maybe I was swinging easier, which was nice. I was -2 after five holes and on the par five 15th I had a 25 footer for eagle. I got a little weird in my head and three putted it and then never really got back to that calm zone. Ended up shooting 73. It was fun playing a course with more than 23 yard wide fairways!

Also, random, I was gifted a one year membership to Raindance, if anyone wants to go play there over the next 365 days...

That sounds like a pretty sweet gift. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Also, random, I was gifted a one year membership to Raindance, if anyone wants to go play there over the next 365 days...

Nice gift. I'd go play it once for the member guest 50% off their (now reduced to) $175 rate. I guess they aren't signing up members fast enough. Earlier in the month they were trying to get $250.

• Like 1

I'd be down for Raindance once at $175. Maybe early October when it isn't a billion degrees outside.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dancin said:

Nice gift. I'd go play it once for the member guest 50% off their (now reduced to) $175 rate. I guess they aren't signing up members fast enough. Earlier in the month they were trying to get $250.

Yeah, to protect the identity of those involved, I’ll just say it involved alcohol, a charity event, and a misunderstanding of what exactly was being auctioned… Anyway, it starts 9/1 and I’ll figure out what the deal is for guests and we can pick a fall day and get some people on here out there. Will be fun! Who wants to play it at 8,400?? 😝

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’d be down to play,,,,but 8,400 is a few thousand much for me!

Haha, my other buddy said that's twice what I want to play! Yeah, it's definitely a lot. Two holes over 700 yards from the "Tour tees". I gotta do it at least once though... I don't know, sometimes I'm better into the green with a 3i or 4i than a wedge! 😅

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

2 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yeah, to protect the identity of those involved, I’ll just say it involved alcohol, a charity event, and a misunderstanding of what exactly was being auctioned… Anyway, it starts 9/1 and I’ll figure out what the deal is for guests and we can pick a fall day and get some people on here out there. Will be fun! Who wants to play it at 8,400?? 😝

I mean, when FRGC played TPC Colorado, I suggested to the long hitters that we play the black tees. That's when my driver decided to smother-hook everything. The only hole where I hit a straight drive over 250 yards was on #18. So what can possibly go wrong?! 😄

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Haha, my other buddy said that's twice what I want to play! Yeah, it's definitely a lot. Two holes over 700 yards from the "Tour tees". I gotta do it at least once though... I don't know, sometimes I'm better into the green with a 3i or 4i than a wedge! 😅

I always wanted to go to Springs and play Antler Creek from the tips. I think it’s over 8,000. But that was a lot of years ago. 
Heck, I’d still try it though…..nothing like a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood, seven iron hole!

Does anyone have one of those bead counters……I would need it there. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Got out on Fort Collins Country Club. Love that place. It truly felt like the ankle weights were off and I could run free! So much room out there! I have never felt so calm and comfortable after a whole summer of Collindale. My first five drives (we started off the back nine) were absolute glory. Wish I could have the same feel at CDale. We were playing the whites (old timers game), so maybe I was swinging easier, which was nice. I was -2 after five holes and on the par five 15th I had a 25 footer for eagle. I got a little weird in my head and three putted it and then never really got back to that calm zone. Ended up shooting 73. It was fun playing a course with more than 23 yard wide fairways!

Amen, I love FCCC. It's a hard but fair layout. Their greens are always firm and lightning fast.

Super crazy to get a year membership. That sounds pretty incredible though! I was talking to another member at Fox Hill that played it recently and he didn't like it as much as TPC but thought it was harder. He said the fairways were like downhill bowling alleys and you get a 100 yards of roll everywhere, for better or worse. He also said he shot 84 and lost four golf balls (he's an 8-9 hcp.)

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I didn’t realize this until you posted, but he also was the designer of my old home course. Scott’s Bluff Country Club in western Nebraska. 

Did he do a lot of courses in the area?

Wow, there were a lot more than I realized. Some really boring ones too, lol. I only remembered my favorites from Colorado. 

I had no idea he did Twin Peaks, the blue and gold at HH in Westy, or the Silver course at eisenhower. I liked him more when I thought his main ones were Fox, Collindale, HH (greeley), and Hillcrest.

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/architects/1083-frank-hummel/

Edited by Joelness

47 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Wow, there were a lot more than I realized. Some really boring ones too, lol. I only remembered my favorites from Colorado. 

I had no idea he did Twin Peaks, the blue and gold at HH in Westy, or the Silver course at eisenhower. I liked him more when I thought his main ones were Fox, Collindale, HH (greeley), and Hillcrest.

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/architects/1083-frank-hummel/

Aspen Muni and Hillcrest!

Also highland hills and Hyland Hills... such creativity naming courses of the years (not him likely - the industry in general)!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Member guest rate is 50% off list. That's on the website. And yeah I'll watch you play from 8400 while I move up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sounds good, we will get something going. The membership starts 9/1. I don't know what the guest policy is. They are going to regret giving me that thing when I'm like Rodney Dangerfield rollign in there with my 12 WRX homies...😂

Whoo, sounds like Hummel had a few flops. Twin Peaks, HH Greeley and Westy. Not my faves. Couple good, solid tracks though: Collindale, Hillcrest, Aspen Muni. I'm not sure which Eisenhower course I played 25 years ago but I loved it then.

Has anyone played Ptarmigan or Harmony Club up here? Seems like, along with Fort Collins Country Club and Raindance, those would be the options for private courses. I love Nicklaus designs (Ptarmigan) and it's 8 minutes closer to me than Raindance. Not a lot closer, but enough to make a little difference. I have heard Harmony Club is kind of gimmicky, but I can't remember who told me that.

Played the front nine of Mad Russian today in Milliken. Mad, indeed....

Haha, @Dancin, 8,400 will probably a solo-experiment. Don't want to subject anyone to that!

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Ptarmigan was a mailed in Nicklaus design that he likely had little involvement in other than associates at his firm did it. He might have flown over it once.

Harmony is a pretty good Jim Engh course. He didn't go too wild there. Anyone saying it is gimmicky likely has never seen an Engh course before.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Ptarmigan was a mailed in Nicklaus design that he likely had little involvement in other than associates at his firm did it. He might have flown over it once.

Harmony is a pretty good Jim Engh course. He didn't go too wild there. Anyone saying it is gimmicky likely has never seen an Engh course before.

Good info, Dancin. I trust your opinion. Glad I’m not missing anything world class at Ptarmigan. 

What are some other Engh courses? I guess by gimmicky I had heard several blind shots, but I don’t mind blind shots.

I need to play both just because I want to see it all for myself. Still so much to play and experience. Still need to get out on TPC. 

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS