2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

19 hours ago, Joelness said:

This smells like sobriety......

Ha!  Nope, my “under the influence” posting days are way behind me!😀

When you had commented about the cost of a hotel to play at River Ranch I had commented that my aunt and uncle live on that course. And I’ve never been up there to play it. Then I got to thinking that maybe I had the wrong course so I thought I’d better check first. As it turns out, it was the right course. Now if I had enough game to play in something like that. 

5 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Ha!  Nope, my “under the influence” posting days are way behind me!😀

When you had commented about the cost of a hotel to play at River Ranch I had commented that my aunt and uncle live on that course. And I’ve never been up there to play it. Then I got to thinking that maybe I had the wrong course so I thought I’d better check first. As it turns out, it was the right course. Now if I had enough game to play in something like that. 

The prices have come up of late, but if either of you or your partners work in healthcare (or are just unscrupulous, they aren't checking) you can use the code THANKYOU for a (sometimes significant, date dependent) discount at The Snowmass Club. Forty minutes up valley from River Valley Ranch, and the rooms are nothing to write home about, but you have access to the amenities which are ABUSRD, amongst the nicest I've ever experienced.  

Foresight emailed me that they are doing an online tournament to get into the European Masters. If you are a pro it's 54 holes with the winner actually getting a spot in the tournament. For amateurs the top three winners will get an invite to the pro-am.

Since it's going to rain today, I'm planning on downloading the course (Crans Sur Sierre) and giving it a go, why not?

Pretty cool, eh? Good job Foresight

• Like 3

Can you do 300yd gimmies on Foresight? If so, I'm in! 😄

• Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

1 hour ago, 007iron said:

Davis Bryan shot 60 today at RVR in the CGA Am - I caddied in a group with him for a US Jr qualifier many years ago when he was still in high school; kid was filthy then and seems to have kept getting better.

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3491932

That's such a filthy number. Here i thought Connor Jones was the best player at CSU. Also, when did CSU become a legit golf program? Holy crap

• Like 4

On 7/28/2022 at 2:59 PM, 007iron said:

Davis Bryant shot 60 today at RVR in the CGA Am - I caddied in a group with him for a US Jr qualifier many years ago when he was still in high school; kid was filthy then and seems to have kept getting better.

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3491932

60!🤯🤯🤯

just looked at scores after day 2. +1 didn’t even make the cut. Yeah, I’m not playing in that qualifier anymore. Mid-ams only for me from here on out! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Haymaker, Catamount about the best thing going for a 36 hole day.

I think the comp for Catamount is Sanctuary, and I’m ranking it above Sanctuary, spectacular visually, an absolute marvel of engineering to slap that bad boy on the side of a mountain. I was also impressed by the (one way) cart path that unobtrusively serviced all the holes…

Then you have Haymakers straightforward, true links offering one minute away on the valley floor. Magnifique…

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ztull said:

I think the comp for Catamount is Sanctuary, and I’m ranking it above Sanctuary, spectacular visually, an absolute marvel of engineering to slap that bad boy on the side of a mountain. I was also impressed by the (one way) cart path that unobtrusively serviced all the holes…

Then you have Haymakers straightforward, true links offering one minute away on the valley floor. Magnifique…

Is it hard to get on Catamount?

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Is it hard to get on Catamount?

It was very hard. There’s a member on Thousand Greens, he’s a fractional owner who comes in from Florida one month a year.

They halted reciprocity during Covid, not sure if that has picked up again.

They're selling memberships, if you’re comfortable going that route…

Best story I have about it being hard to play is my wife and I shopped it as a wedding venue. 35k to open the door, they made it clear that they wouldn’t clear members from the (noisy) pool next to the lake house. Asked if we could pay for a wedding foursome, they told me no lol…

5 hours ago, ztull said:

It was very hard. There’s a member on Thousand Greens, he’s a fractional owner who comes in from Florida one month a year.

They halted reciprocity during Covid, not sure if that has picked up again.

They're selling memberships, if you’re comfortable going that route…

Best story I have about it being hard to play is my wife and I shopped it as a wedding venue. 35k to open the door, they made it clear that they wouldn’t clear members from the (noisy) pool next to the lake house. Asked if we could pay for a wedding foursome, they told me no lol…

Well that’s not very cool! Kinda surprised a course in that rural of a place can turn down public play so resoundingly. Must have a very wealthy membership…

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

49 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Well that’s not very cool! Kinda surprised a course in that rural of a place can turn down public play so resoundingly. Must have a very wealthy membership…

Got the impression the membership was older, and that not a lot of them lived in Steamboat year round. 

Edited by ztull

On 7/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, Joelness said:

That's such a filthy number. Here i thought Connor Jones was the best player at CSU. Also, when did CSU become a legit golf program? Holy crap

Is it ironic that Connor Jones ended up winning? That guy is on FIRE! Also, he's a fantastic human. I've played a few rounds with him and he's the nicest kid you could hope for. I would be curious to see what has changed since I played with him. He was solid (like 5 to 10 under), but not -24 good at that time.

21 hours ago, ztull said:

Congrats on the incredible Saturday!

Man, it's hard for me to group Catamount with Sanctuary. It does have some pretty boldly designed holes but for me those holes on the Sanctuary felt gimmicky and at Catamount they feel incredibly well thought-out. I'm pumped you got to play it!

• Like 2

Felt a little better about my golf game this past weekend.

On Saturday, couples league at The Links. Individual competition where you got points for GIR, birdies, up-and-downs, and sandies. I ended up shooting even-par with a birdie, five GIR, and four up-and-downs (three for par and one for bogey); I won first by a pretty wide margin.

Yesteday, FRGC event at Murphy Creek. I feel like my swing is getting better again once I realized that I wasn't turning my shoulders enough on the backswing. What's still aggravating is my inconsistent distances for all clubs. I crushed a 336yd drive on #4, but the same swing resulted in a 265yd drive on #15; a well-hit full swing GW either went 90yds or 130yd (both with wind to my back). I did capture two closest-to-the-pins; put my PW on #5 to 3 feet and my 7-iron on #11 to 6 feet (converted both putts for birdies). I had way too many doubles on my card due to inconsistent distances and duffed drives; and I had a triple on #16 after my ball ended up OOB by 2 inches. If it wasn't for that triple, I would've shot 81 and won low net; instead it was a 3-way tie for first, and I ended up third in a scorecard playoff--thanks to #16.

What was also interesting but weird was my putting was very good--8 one-putts and 1 three-putt. I was consistently draining everything inside 6 feet. What was weird was on longer putts, I felt extremely uncomfortable trying to figure out the speed--and direction, everyone in the group just couldn't believe how little putts broke even on moderate side slopes (has it always been like that?), but my lags always ended up within 24 inches of the cup.

With my massive project at work over and my kid's hockey season is starting up again at Family Sports, I'm looking forward to getting an opportunity to hit some range balls instead of bringing my work laptop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

Man, it's hard for me to group Catamount with Sanctuary. It does have some pretty boldly designed holes but for me those holes on the Sanctuary felt gimmicky and at Catamount they feel incredibly well thought-out. I'm pumped you got to play it!

Catamount for sure more of a golf course. To my mind it would be difficult not to group it with other courses that are visually spectacular, Sanctuary, Red Sky Fazio, Frost Creek, Flying Horse (I haven't played Ravenna). It's at the tippy top of that list and running a tight race with The Roaring Fork club for my favorite mountain course. I like that you can walk Roaring Fork...

I'm down in Durango this week for my buddy's member guest at Dalton Ranch. Played Hillcrest yesterday and holy cow was I blown away. What a delightful course - interesting piece of land with nice elevation change and a pretty awesome routing. A few hard par 4s and a nice bunch of shorter ones where you can get aggressive to your hearts content. Greens were complex but not severe and rolled really good. We rode as we walked UNM Champiosnhip course Monday, but it's definitely walkable and a ton of people were doing so. Pace was great despite the course being full with summer visitors and locals. Two thumbs up and a highly recommend if you're in the Durango area. 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

60!🤯🤯🤯

just looked at scores after day 2. +1 didn’t even make the cut. Yeah, I’m not playing in that qualifier anymore. Mid-ams only for me from here on out! 😂

Even mid-am stuff seems super competitive these last few years. But way different than college kids who practice all day and a lot of whom will try the pro route.

Went to Albuquerque to caddie for my friends US Mid-Am qualifier at UNM Championship on Monday - wow; tough course, tough walk. I played the practice round Sunday, played the blue tees (2 up) and got my teeth kicked in. Driving is the worst part of my game and it's a driver's course for sure; need to hit it long and mostly straight. Rough is long and thick - missing fairways and greens is especially penal if you don't have really high swing speed and just a great short game.

We played in the same group as the medalist; 4 under 68 with the 7,450y setup and how the course was setup was quite impressive. A few huge par saves, but otherwise only one bogie and then 5 birdies including the last to slam the door; was fun to watch. Buddy shot 76 with a 5-bogie in 6-hole stretch in the middle. Played solid; two drives that needed to be hacked out cost him 3 shots and a few three putts, combined with not making much else was the biggest factors as he hit it really well otherwise. Field average just above 78 so it definitely played tough.

Had to leave my clubs with the pro shop during the qualifier round as signs everywhere at the course and in town, plus everyone we talked to said that crime is so bad in Albuquerque that leaving anything in the car is a huge risk. Would not recommend going to ABQ (in general) or playing UNM championship unless you're handicap has a + in front of it.

Edited by 007iron
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

60!🤯🤯🤯

Sorry to bombard you with quote notifications but one more thing. RVR is a pretty easy course for good players; wide corridors, wide fairways and relatively big and easy-ish greens. Definitely the players are good, but I wouldn't consider that you needed to shoot even there to make the cut too much as it's gettable for good players, IMO

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 3:12 PM, ztull said:

Catamount for sure more of a golf course. To my mind it would be difficult not to group it with other courses that are visually spectacular, Sanctuary, Red Sky Fazio, Frost Creek, Flying Horse (I haven't played Ravenna). It's at the tippy top of that list and running a tight race with The Roaring Fork club for my favorite mountain course. I like that you can walk Roaring Fork...

Haven't played it but based on driving by it and the location....I bet Catamount has some amazing views.  Ravenna is fine, I only played it once and enjoyed the course a lot but nothing really stands out.  

Have you played the new Flying Horse Course, the North one?  It's worth playing...up in the Black Forest and has a very different feel from the main course.  It's still growing in so in a few years it will be really nice but I've enjoyed playing it even now.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 007iron said:

I'm down in Durango this week for my buddy's member guest at Dalton Ranch. Played Hillcrest yesterday and holy cow was I blown away. What a delightful course - interesting piece of land with nice elevation change and a pretty awesome routing. A few hard par 4s and a nice bunch of shorter ones where you can get aggressive to your hearts content. Greens were complex but not severe and rolled really good. We rode as we walked UNM Champiosnhip course Monday, but it's definitely walkable and a ton of people were doing so. Pace was great despite the course being full with summer visitors and locals. Two thumbs up and a highly recommend if you're in the Durango area. 

Even mid-am stuff seems super competitive these last few years. But way different than college kids who practice all day and a lot of whom will try the pro route.

Went to Albuquerque to caddie for my friends US Mid-Am qualifier at UNM Championship on Monday - wow; tough course, tough walk. I played the practice round Sunday, played the blue tees (2 up) and got my teeth kicked in. Driving is the worst part of my game and it's a driver's course for sure; need to hit it long and mostly straight. Rough is long and thick - missing fairways and greens is especially penal if you don't have really high swing speed and just a great short game.

We played in the same group as the medalist; 4 under 68 with the 7,450y setup and how the course was setup was quite impressive. A few huge par saves, but otherwise only one bogie and then 5 birdies including the last to slam the door; was fun to watch. Buddy shot 76 with a 5-bogie in 6-hole stretch in the middle. Played solid; two drives that needed to be hacked out cost him 3 shots and a few three putts, combined with not making much else was the biggest factors as he hit it really well otherwise. Field average just above 78 so it definitely played tough.

Had to leave my clubs with the pro shop during the qualifier round as signs everywhere at the course and in town, plus everyone we talked to said that crime is so bad in Albuquerque that leaving anything in the car is a huge risk. Would not recommend going to ABQ (in general) or playing UNM championship unless you're handicap has a + in front of it.

I love Hillcrest! They have I believe a pro/am tournament there each year, the Navajo Trails. I believe it brings good players and Hillcrest makes those small greens lightning fast and challenging.

My friend Eben Harrell is a member at Dalton and is playing in the member-guest, I think. He asked me if I could join last minute as his partner pulled out. Look him up and have fun! Tell him bobbyclampett says hi!

And yeah, Mid-ams tough, too. So many good players these days. 

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Lot of great stuff in here!!! 

Amazing views at Catamount, I haven’t played the north course at Flying Horse. My in laws are members there, I’ll keep working on them.

Durango amongst my favorite places in the state, have any of you played Glacier? I’ve only played the course in Pagosa Springs, bad layout, poorly maintained, they should relegate down to 18 holes.

Not a plus handicap, but the Green Monster at UNM on the list!! I’ve only played La Sandia, another MFer, my least popular Twitter take is that they should move the Byron Nelson there…

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I love Hillcrest! They have I believe a pro/am tournament there each year, the Navajo Trails. I believe it brings good players and Hillcrest makes those small greens lightning fast and challenging.

My friend Eben Harrell is a member at Dalton and is playing in the member-guest, I think. He asked me if I could join last minute as his partner pulled out. Look him up and have fun! Tell him bobbyclampett says hi!

I played in the Navajo Trail Open last year. It was my first time playing Hillcrest and when those greens are fast they are pretty bonkers. I witnessed a putt go off the green more than once during that tournament. The more I play Frank Hummel courses the more I like them. My only complaint is just how dumb 9 is when the greens are fast, It's borderline unplayable. Also, wtf is up with that putting green? Seemed like half of it can't even be used as the ball doesn't stop.

Yep, mid-am has gotten tougher also. -2 last year was good enough for T16 (though it was at City Park.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

I played in the Navajo Trail Open last year. It was my first time playing Hillcrest and when those greens are fast they are pretty bonkers. I witnessed a putt go off the green more than once during that tournament. The more I play Frank Hummel courses the more I like them. My only complaint is just how dumb 9 is when the greens are fast, It's borderline unplayable. Also, wtf is up with that putting green? Seemed like half of it can't even be used as the ball doesn't stop.

Yep, mid-am has gotten tougher also. -2 last year was good enough for T16 (though it was at City Park.)

Yeah it’s no good if things get silly with balls rolling off green when you get above the hole. I played it under normal conditions and the greens were lovely to putt on. Fast and true and pure and not ridiculous. I could see how they could get carried away as green speed is pretty much the only way to defend that course against pros and elite ams (I think I shot 75 there my first time around, and that was after doubling 1 due to hitting my first ball of the day OB. No breakfast balls for this guy! Count ‘em all!), so I could see pros just shooting low 60s and maybe even high 50s (like Wyoming Open at Airport!) if greens are just average speed. 

Edited by bobbyclampett!!
  • Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 8/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Didn't get to meet him as he couldn't find a replacement partner in time so his team was a scratch from the event.

Dalton member-guest was fun; championship flight was pretty tough but we tied first in our flight but lost the head-to-head match with the guys we tied so no shootout for us. Probably for the best; I'm not sure what my game would look like hitting alt-shot shots in front of a lot of people

6 hours ago, 007iron said:

Didn't get to meet him as he couldn't find a replacement partner in time so his team was a scratch from the event.

Dalton member-guest was fun; championship flight was pretty tough but we tied first in our flight but lost the head-to-head match with the guys we tied so no shootout for us. Probably for the best; I'm not sure what my game would look like hitting alt-shot shots in front of a lot of people

Nice. What did you think of the Dalton course? My friend says it's a very tight, target mountain couse where you have to basically hit iron off every tee and basically penalties on both sides of every fairway and up by the greens. Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I bet it's pretty.

Yeah I found out he pulled out altogether and entered Hillcrest Club Championship at last minute. He shot 88-67. Was about to quit after round 1, made a slight grip change before day 2 and couldn't miss. Golf. What a messed up game.

• Haha 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

27 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Nice. What did you think of the Dalton course? My friend says it's a very tight, target mountain couse where you have to basically hit iron off every tee and basically penalties on both sides of every fairway and up by the greens. Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I bet it's pretty.

Yeah I found out he pulled out altogether and entered Hillcrest Club Championship at last minute. He shot 88-67. Was about to quit after round 1, made a slight grip change before day 2 and couldn't miss. Golf. What a messed up game.

Dalton is definitely target golf - lots of OB on one side and a hazard on the other and double OB, etc. I went 45 holes without hitting driver (I could on probably 3 holes, but driving is the worst part of my game so I just hit my 3i all tournament and stayed in play). My partner hit driver on 4 holes from the one up tees we played. From the back tees it might be on 6 holes.

But the course is interesting and the greens are fun - they got a little spicy and you were barely touching 6-15 foot putts in a lot of cases.

Frustrating Sunday at Saddleback.

I always consider it an achievement when I don't have a double-bogey or worse on the scorecard. That said, I had 11 bogeys and 7 pars where I missed quite a few par putts inside 6 feet. I didn't have any good looks at birdie--didn't help that I had three birdie putts over 60 feet. I still continue to struggle mightily with consistent distances on my irons--and my greenside chipping was sloppy, too.

What's worse was that I lost my match play 2&1. Had I made my short-ish par putts on 16 and 17, I could've made it all-square on 18.

• Like 1