2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

3 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

This is ridiculous. Handicaps are so weird. Everyone has BS caps, goes insanely low, BS's a few holes, and then plays dumb at the end. I'm so competitive with these silly events but it's bordering on insanity. Good luck to all in member guest season!

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

One thing I did really like is they used your low index for the last 12 months. That avoided the stacking of handicaps into the member-guest.

Yeah, I go both ways here. I think the hcp system is pretty solid. However, like any system, it breaks down on edge-cases. In this case the GHIN system sucks when you get above 20 or below 0. I think it's silly that I have to give a scratch golfer 2-3 shots. However, for the vast majority of people, it works pretty well assuming people don't cheat.

However, in our case my teammate did not play how he needed to play for us to win our flight. We also ran into a buzzsaw in one match where the guys were -5 through four and shot -8 overall in 9 holes. Just to rub it in, we found out they played the flight leaders in the next flight and halved the match shooting -1. Sometimes the bounces just don't go your way....

I am applauded you both see issue with "inflating" HDCP for Member Guest   🤪

If I was not taking it easy with being cleared  I would of done the PD member guest this year..... would of dragged Dancin out kicking and screaming.... LOL!  Next year for sure will do it and the price is pretty damn low relative to other clubs, and pretty much unlimited beverages  😛...🤢

Edit: if Dancin bails I will drag one of you two so I look "respectable" 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, Joelness said:

Collindale is HARD and might be the hardest course in northern colorado sans Highland Hills in Greeley.

Ah, you're bringing back memories.  I lived in Ft. Collins for awhile (many hikes on Greyrock Mountain and around the rattlesnake-infested Horsetooth Reservoir).  Then I wrapped up college in Greeley.  Had given up golf then so I never played those two courses.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

15 hours ago, Joelness said:

One thing I did really like is they used your low index for the last 12 months. That avoided the stacking of handicaps into the member-guest.

Yeah, I go both ways here. I think the hcp system is pretty solid. However, like any system, it breaks down on edge-cases. In this case the GHIN system sucks when you get above 20 or below 0. I think it's silly that I have to give a scratch golfer 2-3 shots. However, for the vast majority of people, it works pretty well assuming people don't cheat.

However, in our case my teammate did not play how he needed to play for us to win our flight. We also ran into a buzzsaw in one match where the guys were -5 through four and shot -8 overall in 9 holes. Just to rub it in, we found out they played the flight leaders in the next flight and halved the match shooting -1. Sometimes the bounces just don't go your way....

Agree that if they use the low 12 month index that mostly avoids issues. I always fear going against a 12-14 handicap. Perfectly legitimate for them to get hot and they get enough strokes that a run of pars from them can kill you if you aren't playing great. The low teens handicaps seem to have a higher percentage of people with a much larger range in their scores. It sucks when you get one of their low round days as you pretty much have no chance.

Edited by Dancin

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

Agree that if they use the low 12 month index that mostly avoids issues. I always fear going against a 12-14 handicap. Perfectly legitimate for them to get hot and they get enough strokes that a run of pars from them can kill you if you aren't playing great. The low teens handicaps seem to have a higher percentage of people with a much larger range in their scores. It sucks when you get when of their low round days as you pretty much have no chance.

So true. In our league (2 man teams) we ran into a pair of 14s last week One barely missed a shot all round. Incredibly consistent for a teens handicap. The other started off slow, then managed to birdie a couple of the higher handicap holes coming in. 

You get someone with a very high cap, you know there will be a couple of blowups at some point. The mid-teens guys, they do actually hold it together sometimes. At which point you just say good playing and take your butt whipping and go home!

Good luck at Highland this morning Bobby. 

On 6/12/2022 at 12:28 PM, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Same here.  My favorite courses have few or no trees.  Redlands Mesa, Sandhollow, Wildhorse, Prairie Club Dunes.

Sad to say I’ve only played Sandhollow. PC Dunes was getting some love in another forum I belong to I’ll make it a point to get out there. Headed to Wildhorse Aug 5.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

If you manage to miss a fairway on the Dunes you’ve accomplished something!😀

With my "power draw", challenge accepted!

I'm off to Sweden on Sunday for a "short" three week trip. Already have plans to play twice. Hopefully I can squeeze in at least two more rounds.

Edited by pseudoswede

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

20 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

If you manage to miss a fairway on the Dunes you’ve accomplished something!😀

I've missed a few out there for sure!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

On 6/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, TheKrushh said:

Filthy front nine Joel! Way to play!

Thanks, I'm not sure if you were referring to the match play match or the qualifier but thanks either way!

The match play was tough. Got the first two wins but just didn't wake up with enough game to beat Ryan Burke yesterday. There was a key turning point in the match where we were tied through 6, I stuffed my second on 7 to 9-10' for eagle and Ryan short-sided himself. He has to bounce one into the hill and it still comes off hot, but hits the stick and drops. I then miss my line on my putt for eagle and he wins the hole. I then missed a 6 footer on 9 and a 12 footer on 10. Ryan then made 3 on 11 and that was all she wrote, I couldn't make a birdie on the back 9 for the comeback.

Ryan is yet another awesome guy with a ton of game. I was hoping he would go deeper but he said he just didn't have it in the afternoon yesterday.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

Talk about feeling inadequate...

A buddy brought out his friend to our Thursday night beer league at South Suburban. He's a former mini-tour player. He's prepping for the Colorado Open, and he shot 62 at GVR last week from the "normal tips."

He hit driver-LW on every par 4. Including #7 into the wind. On #5, he drove the green with a 3W, and his ball ended up four feet from the pin.

He also went driver-LW on #2 (par 5). The yellow lines are us hacks; his is the red line. INTO A DECENT BREEZE. He just bought a tour-issued 9° (cranked down to 7°) Mizuno low-spin driver with 78g TX shaft and a 20g backweight, and he still got height to clear the trees. My buddy and I cranked our drives on #6 (playing 595yds from the way back tees), and he still outdrove us by about 80 yards (if his drive didn't flare off to the right, he probably would've been at or just past the 150 yard marker).

He finished with a smooth 32.

image.png.69615e53caceb23358597f9e57225f5e.png

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Thanks, I'm not sure if you were referring to the match play match or the qualifier but thanks either way!

The match play was tough. Got the first two wins but just didn't wake up with enough game to beat Ryan Burke yesterday. There was a key turning point in the match where we were tied through 6, I stuffed my second on 7 to 9-10' for eagle and Ryan short-sided himself. He has to bounce one into the hill and it still comes off hot, but hits the stick and drops. I then miss my line on my putt for eagle and he wins the hole. I then missed a 6 footer on 9 and a 12 footer on 10. Ryan then made 3 on 11 and that was all she wrote, I couldn't make a birdie on the back 9 for the comeback.

Ryan is yet another awesome guy with a ton of game. I was hoping he would go deeper but he said he just didn't have it in the afternoon yesterday.

Isn't it amazing how many freaking good golfers there are in every city and every state that don't even sniff "making money" playing golf? One of the things regular golfers and people have absolutely zero concept of.

Happy Friday everyone! I'm playing this afternoon at HR and tomorrow morning at GVR so finally getting some golf in!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

2 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Isn't it amazing how many freaking good golfers there are in every city and every state that don't even sniff "making money" playing golf? One of the things regular golfers and people have absolutely zero concept of.

Happy Friday everyone! I'm playing this afternoon at HR and tomorrow morning at GVR so finally getting some golf in!

💯

The difference between a 10 and myself is about the same difference as myself and a PGA tour pro

• Like 2

Is Walnut walkable?  I've played it a bunch and have always ridden and never really paid attention to how it would be walking.  I know it's a hike from the clubhouse to the first tee which is fine, I can plan for that.  The elevation changes though....just curious if anyone has walked it.  I love walking and have no problem walking 36 a day but some courses just aren't designed for it.  

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Is Walnut walkable?  I've played it a bunch and have always ridden and never really paid attention to how it would be walking.  I know it's a hike from the clubhouse to the first tee which is fine, I can plan for that.  The elevation changes though....just curious if anyone has walked it.  I love walking and have no problem walking 36 a day but some courses just aren't designed for it.  

That golf course would definitely be the latter. It's a pretty brutal walk. Most holes are 50 yards between tees and a ton of elevation change. If you're in shape I think 18 is fine but 36 would be rough for anyone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joelness said:

That golf course would definitely be the latter. It's a pretty brutal walk. Most holes are 50 yards between tees and a ton of elevation change. If you're in shape I think 18 is fine but 36 would be rough for anyone.

Thanks, that's what I thought based on riding it but sometimes there's walking only short cuts and whatnot that make walking some courses easier than it seems.  Definitely in shape and it would only be 18 but not sure I need that on a Thursday morning 😆

The front 9 is okay for walking. The back 9, on the other hand, is pretty brutal. It feels like every hole is straight uphill. We did it two years ago for FRGC, and I wouldn't have wished it on my worst enemy. (I also forgot to add that I think it was the hottest day in Denver in like 30 years.)

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

I also walk Walnut fairly regularly.

Yes, there are a few holes on the back that go up a good grade, but they're manageable if you pace yourself correctly and give yourself a bit of a breather after each climb.

I consider it a fairly fun walk. If you're in decent shape, you can do it for sure - especially just for 18 holes. It's not built like some courses where green to tee distances are absurdly long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

Tomorrow morning marks my last round of golf as a resident of Colorado.  I am teeing off at Collindale Golf Course at 7:10 am.  Movers are coming in sometime in the morning and Mrs. RD told me to play one last round.  We're off to Florida early Tuesday morning but our things, including my clubs, are on the truck on Saturday.  I will miss many things about Colorado, first of which is our family who remains.  The golf and weather (roughly 6 1/2 - 7 months starting in April) will also be things I miss.  I truly appreciate this group as it is, by far, the best regional group on all of GolfWRX.  It is unfortunate but the regional group where I am heading to is virtually non-existent but that will not stop me from finding people to play with.  I most certainly will continue to follow this group and might even post here and there.  I have spent almost 2/3 of my life in Colorado and it will always be home to me.  Thanks to the members of this site and those who contribute to this group as this group has brought me much reading pleasure.  I wish I had more of an opportunity to play with many of the people in this group but my occupation made this difficult.  Hopefully there will be opportunities in the future.  I do plan on returning to the Fort Collins area the first weekend of June 2023 for a redemption quest for the Collindale Invitational.  Maybe there will be opportunities to meet up and play.  Until then, best wishes to all and may your ball fly straight and find fairways, may your ball hit GIRs and may you all make the putt!  Fairways and greens!!!

Best regards,

Sam

It's pretty funny that we've known each other for close to 20 years over the internet but never got to meet. Happy trails to you, sir. Maybe our paths will cross again in the future.

• Like 2

Dormie Network broke ground on GreyBull, a course in Maxwell NE, earlier this week. I've been following Dormie since they launched, and think this shoved me over the edge in terms of joining. Maxwell is 4 hours from Denver (an hour closer than Mullen 😢) and 20 minutes from Wild Horse. They've also got ArborLinks in Omaha, which brings Landman and Lost Rail into play on that trip.

If you look on their website you can see that the Wolf Point Ranch acquisition isn't a rumor, they've got six cottages and they're staffing up. I've heard whisperings of Quintero...

I talked to them yesterday and they knocked 50% off the initiation and said they would do even better if I put together a group. Shoot me a message if you want in.

2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

It's pretty funny that we've known each other for close to 20 years over the internet but never got to meet. Happy trails to you, sir. Maybe our paths will cross again in the future.

Dang, it's been that long hasn't it?  I joined FlyerTalk in November 2002 and really loved that site.  I learned a lot.  I don't go over there too often these days.  Happy trails to you as well and hope for great golf for you.  Next time I am coming back to Colorado I will post here.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 hours ago, ztull said:

Dormie Network broke ground on GreyBull, a course in Maxwell NE, earlier this week. I've been following Dormie since they launched, and think this shoved me over the edge in terms of joining. Maxwell is 4 hours from Denver (an hour closer than Mullen 😢) and 20 minutes from Wild Horse. They've also got ArborLinks in Omaha, which brings Landman and Lost Rail into play on that trip.

If you look on their website you can see that the Wolf Point Ranch acquisition isn't a rumor, they've got six cottages and they're staffing up. I've heard whisperings of Quintero...

I talked to them yesterday and they knocked 50% off the initiation and said they would do even better if I put together a group. Shoot me a message if you want in.

Dormie hands out memberships to golf auctions like candy so the 50% off the initiation is not a surprise and in fact if they aren't also discounting the first year dues you are not getting the best deal. There are auctions where you can get the initiation and first year dues for $10k or less. Here's one currently at $6k https://www.charitybuzz.com/categories/golf/catalog_items/auction-1-year-membership-to-dormie-network-6-world-2442003

6 hours ago, Dancin said:

Dormie hands out memberships to golf auctions like candy so the 50% off the initiation is not a surprise and in fact if they aren't also discounting the first year dues you are not getting the best deal. There are auctions where you can get the initiation and first year dues for $10k or less. Here's one currently at $6k https://www.charitybuzz.com/categories/golf/catalog_items/auction-1-year-membership-to-dormie-network-6-world-2442003

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you for this!!

Just be aware that Dormie Network is much closer to a high end resort golf course than a private club. In addition to handing out memberships like candy, they also hand out 2 day stays (that can be expanded to more days by paying more money) to the auctions. Thankfully for the members they exclude their best course Dormie Club from those. They also do a good job with limiting the amount of play any of their courses has on a specific day. But in the end, anyone with the money for it can join the network, thus it is more like a collection of expensive hotel courses.

7 minutes ago, CDM said:

Dancin requires a 10% referral fee on the final bid price 🤪

Money well spent on what they quoted me coming out of the gate.

Hate to leave some of the guys who showed interest in a lurch I’m gonna ask them to match that price before I pull the trigger (and kick over that 10%).

• Like 1