Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

As I noted in last year's thread, Castle Pines Golf Club ripped up the whole range in the late Fall. When I drove by two weeks ago, they were almost done building a huge wall at the top of the hill. I guess so balls would ricochet back into the grass as opposed to getting stuck in the netting. I guess now we know why.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

2 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Also, on that note, who is joining at RainDance?

The individual membership at RainDance isn't that bad. $570 a month or discounted $6635 if paid in full for the year/$15k initiation and will include simulator access in winter and access to the pool complex (at Pelican lakes until stuff is built at RainDance). I'm sure that will go up though once the clubhouse and pool complex is built. They're also offering a combined deal that includes Pelican Lakes/Falls for $761 mo/$20k initiation which is not that good a deal. Worst part though is guests of members only get a 25% discount on rates. With rates as high as $230 + $20 cart in peak summer, that's much worse than what TPC offers for member guest rates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

The individual membership at RainDance isn't that bad. $570 a month or discounted $6635 if paid in full for the year/$15k initiation and will include simulator access in winter and access to the pool complex (at Pelican lakes until stuff is built at RainDance). I'm sure that will go up though once the clubhouse and pool complex is built. They're also offering a combined deal that includes Pelican Lakes/Falls for $761 mo/$20k initiation which is not that good a deal. Worst part though is guests of members only get a 25% discount on rates. With rates as high as $230 + $20 cart in peak summer, that's much worse than what TPC offers for member guest rates.

Did I read that right....Raindance guest fee will be $230?  

Edit: if so is it an all day rate 😀

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDM said:

Did I read that right....Raindance guest fee will be $230?  

Edit: if so is it an all day rate 😀

I doubt it is all day. They call it their peak rate so I would assume it may be cheaper on weekdays etc... Plus that doesn't include a cart which is another $20. They're obviously assuming a mostly paid membership to be charging those rates to the public. People are paying over $200 to play TPC as a general public rate, so I guess they figure they should be in the same range.

Untitled.png

Edited by Dancin

You may throw up while reading this article. As architects they compare themselves to Coore and Crenshaw and compare the course to Augusta National and the Ocean course at Kiawah. Gotta pump it up to get those memberships, sell houses and justify that rate.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/new-8463-yard-course-at-raindance-national-will-open-in-july#

I still laugh at the video they did last year where Funk basically said he's building a course for the pros where it favors bombers, the greens are fast and flat, the fairway bunkers are shallow and don't punish you if you miss the fairway and if you miss the green the ball will stay where it lands and allow an easy up and down. Everything I hate about watching most of the courses the men play on. The coddled pros will love it if they ever get a tournament.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dancin said:

I doubt it is all day. They call it their peak rate so I would assume it may be cheaper on weekdays etc... Plus that doesn't include a cart which is another $20. They're obviously assuming a mostly paid membership to be charging those rates to the public. People are paying over $200 to play TPC as a general public rate, so I guess they figure they should be in the same range.

Untitled.png

I will be that guy........

I have a hard time believing from what I have seen of the course and I went back just this Tuesday that RainDance will be that level of course (...could be totally wrong) or maybe "caliber" to justify that rate?

There is some damn good public / private courses in that area that are nowhere near that.  I guess if the market can bare it... 

You may throw up while reading this article. As architects they compare themselves to Coore and Crenshaw and compare the course to Augusta National and the Ocean course at Kiawah. Gotta pump it up to get those memberships, sell houses and justify that rate.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/new-8463-yard-course-at-raindance-national-will-open-in-july#

Interesting .    It does look decent but I figured $125 /cart.  Again I have gone and looked at it a few times now but it does not look more then most in the area.  I guess only playing it will tell.  To compare it to some of the courses they did, yea that is pretty interesting.

If you're good, you tell everyone. If you're great, they'll tell you!

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

2 hours ago, CDM said:

Interesting .    It does look decent but I figured $125 /cart.  Again I have gone and looked at it a few times now but it does not look more then most in the area.  I guess only playing it will tell.  To compare it to some of the courses they did, yea that is pretty interesting.

They are aiming for the TPC model with almost all play coming from memberships (TPC would be fully private if they didn't have the agreement they made with the city which requires them to offer some public play). It will be very interesting to see what happens. They definitely aren't going to get a lot of takers over $200. If they discount to the low $100s they will probably do pretty well. Fossil Trace still fills their tee sheet every day at that rate which blows my mind.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dancin said:

They are aiming for the TPC model with almost all play coming from memberships (TPC would be fully private if they didn't have the agreement they made with the city which requires them to offer some public play). It will be very interesting to see what happens. They definitely aren't going to get a lot of takers over $200. If they discount to the low $100s they will probably do pretty well. Fossil Trace still fills their tee sheet every day at that rate which blows my mind.

I will agree with Fossil Trace going to $150 starting next weekend is shocking.  

49 minutes ago, CDM said:

Public rate at Omni $130, will go to $160 in June. Interesting way to do things with their membership model, public play is close to nil.

Edited by ztull

17 hours ago, Dancin said:

Untitled.png

Not everyone is paying over $200 to play the TPC.  I have to weigh whether the TPC is worth playing once compared to 5 rounds at Collindale.  Sure, it's the TPC, it's a new course, it hosts a Korn Ferry Tour event but it's also one round of golf.  A friend of mine once said back in the late 80s that he weighs a course and whether it is worth sacrificing multiple rounds at decent courses for a chance to play a course once.  To me, the TPC and Raindance don't offer that.  Now to play Ballyneal, The Broadmoor East or Cherry Hills might be worth it.  Of course I played The Broadmoor East twice last year so that is scratched off my list for Colorado courses.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

55 minutes ago, CDM said:

6 minutes ago, ztull said:

Public rate at Omni $130, will go to $160 in June. Interesting way to do things with their membership model, public play is close to nil.

It is unfortunate that like many things in Colorado these days the costs are going up.  I have lived in Colorado for most of my life but the Colorado I knew and loved appears to be gone and California has replaced it, in terms of cost of living and the cost of leisure activities.

• Like 1

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

On 4/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, Joelness said:

Boy, wouldn't that be nice. A guy can dream I guess

Dancin has the course correct. When you (or anyone here!) come down you can just park at my place and we'll take the cart. When I walk I just park the cart at the shop anyway.

I had no idea Collindale switched. It's not a big deal either way for me but I do agree with most of your points for sure. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hand-shake." Do you mean shaking hands because it's narrow (it is IMO) or hand-shake as in easy? Overall I do think it's a good decision.

Speaking of Collindale, I got an email yesterday from Courtney saying the invitational is open for sign-ups. Those of you up there should play in it, one of my favorite CGA club events all year and yes, they do have net flights so it's open for all.

I didn't get my email from Courtney and went in the pro shop last week and asked her why, since I had before and played in the Invitational before.  She told me she sent emails to those who played last year.  I had signed up but had to withdraw because I had sprained my left ankle about 3 1/2 week before the tournament.  Well, I am entered this year (Senior gross).  The state of my game stinks.  My driving is inconsistent, my iron play is horrible, I have hands of stone for my short game, my bunker play is horrid but my putting is pretty good.  I have a few weeks to get my game in shape as not to embarrass myself but this year, baring a freak injury, I will be teeing it up.  Anyone who has signed up send me a PM and maybe we can schedule a few rounds together before the Invitational.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Not everyone is paying over $200 to play the TPC.  I have to weigh whether the TPC is worth playing once compared to 5 rounds at Collindale.  Sure, it's the TPC, it's a new course, it hosts a Korn Ferry Tour event but it's also one round of golf.  A friend of mine once said back in the late 80s that he weighs a course and whether it is worth sacrificing multiple rounds at decent courses for a chance to play a course once.  To me, the TPC and Raindance don't offer that.  Now to play Ballyneal, The Broadmoor East or Cherry Hills might be worth it.  Of course I played The Broadmoor East twice last year so that is scratched off my list for Colorado courses.

If you don't know a member, you are paying over $200 to play TPC Colorado and you're only getting on Mon-Wed now.

5 minutes ago, Dancin said:

If you don't know a member, you are paying over $200 to play TPC Colorado and you're only getting on Mon-Wed now.

The Broadmoor is the same way.  I think green fees for the East course was something like $230 and you had to stay at the resort to play.  Being a guest of a member the green fee was something like $90, which my cousin paid both times (wrote it off on the business trip).  My cousin is a friend to a member and I was invited by my cousin with the blessing of the member.  I suppose that was Karma since I bought my first new car from Academy Ford in Colorado Springs the summer of 1986 and the member owned the dealership, as well as a handful of others in the area.  😁

Edited by RobotDoctor

3 hours ago, ztull said:

Are you guys all up in FoCo?

I live down in Highlands Ranch. Seems like most in here are central or north

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

30 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I didn't get my email from Courtney and went in the pro shop last week and asked her why, since I had before and played in the Invitational before.  She told me she sent emails to those who played last year.  I had signed up but had to withdraw because I had sprained my left ankle about 3 1/2 week before the tournament.  Well, I am entered this year (Senior gross).  The state of my game stinks.  My driving is inconsistent, my iron play is horrible, I have hands of stone for my short game, my bunker play is horrid but my putting is pretty good.  I have a few weeks to get my game in shape as not to embarrass myself but this year, baring a freak injury, I will be teeing it up.  Anyone who has signed up send me a PM and maybe we can schedule a few rounds together before the Invitational.

I never got an email from her either until today. I called her and gave her all the info for the tournament anyway so I figured it was a pretty safe bet that I'm in. Hopefully your flight and mine are close enough that we can share a beer after.

Ahhhhh, the woes of golf. I rarely feel like my game is in shape. Usually as soon as I do it falls off a cliff. Luckily for me all the hard work I've put in the last 20 months on a major swing change are finally paying off. It feels like I can finally spend 75% of my time working on scoring (chipping and putting) instead of dialing in a swing.

40 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

This is a great strategy and I feel the same way. As you mentioned at the end, I do feel like everyone should play a course once, especially a nice/expensive one. After that it becomes more bang for the buck territory. I played TPC once myself and won't go back unless I get a heavily discounted rate. There were a lot of Fox Hill members that left to go to TPC and I don't get it..... at all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I never got an email from her either until today. I called her and gave her all the info for the tournament anyway so I figured it was a pretty safe bet that I'm in. Hopefully your flight and mine are close enough that we can share a beer after.

Ahhhhh, the woes of golf. I rarely feel like my game is in shape. Usually as soon as I do it falls off a cliff. Luckily for me all the hard work I've put in the last 20 months on a major swing change are finally paying off. It feels like I can finally spend 75% of my time working on scoring (chipping and putting) instead of dialing in a swing.

This is a great strategy and I feel the same way. As you mentioned at the end, I do feel like everyone should play a course once, especially a nice/expensive one. After that it becomes more bang for the buck territory. I played TPC once myself and won't go back unless I get a heavily discounted rate. There were a lot of Fox Hill members that left to go to TPC and I don't get it..... at all.

Maybe the Fox Hill members left because the newness of the TPC.  Hard to say.  When I lived in Longmont I played at Ute Creek then went to Saddleback when it opened in 2001.  I usually play Saddleback 4-5 times a times a year.  

46 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Maybe the Fox Hill members left because the newness of the TPC.  Hard to say.  When I lived in Longmont I played at Ute Creek then went to Saddleback when it opened in 2001.  I usually play Saddleback 4-5 times a times a year.  

Growing up in Lafayette my buddies and I used to drive to Saddleback to play. They used to let kids <15 years old walk for $15. Of course we took full advantage well after we turned 18. I loved that nobody asked us how we got there (16 to drive)

It's a fun track, there's not a lot of danger/difficulty but I will always like it.

3 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Growing up in Lafayette my buddies and I used to drive to Saddleback to play. They used to let kids <15 years old walk for $15. Of course we took full advantage well after we turned 18. I loved that nobody asked us how we got there (16 to drive)

It's a fun track, there's not a lot of danger/difficulty but I will always like it.

It is a fun track.  I’m playing there Sunday morning.  

2 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

The Broadmoor is the same way.  I think green fees for the East course was something like $230 and you had to stay at the resort to play.  Being a guest of a member the green fee was something like $90, which my cousin paid both times (wrote it off on the business trip).  My cousin is a friend to a member and I was invited by my cousin with the blessing of the member.  I suppose that was Karma since I bought my first new car from Academy Ford in Colorado Springs the summer of 1986 and the member owned the dealership, as well as a handful of others in the area.  😁

Greens fees for Broadmoor East are $395. It's another $40 for a cart if you want one. Double edged sword, at those rates they aren't checking too hard to see if you're a hotel guest. I guess a triple edge sword, because they also aren't marshaling. The last round I played there was absolutely brutal.

IMO still worth it, the East is an incredible course. They're offering the same unlimited golf promotion that they offered summer 2020 this year:

https://www.broadmoor.com/special-packages/unlimited-golf-getaway

Basically you pay for one round and you can play as much golf as you want. Last time I did this I stayed for one night, and played close to 100 holes over the two days I was there. I booked three tee times on the East both days, 7:00 (first tee time), 1:00, 5:50 (last tee time).

The shop knew exactly what I was doing, they didn't bat an eye. It was an UNBELIEVABLE trip. In terms of bang for buck at a Colorado resort I'll take BE over Red Sky, at least when they're running that promotion. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CDM said:

I think it is 60/40 that most are in Denver area?  Maybe 70/30.  But we travel well  😃 

Speak for yourself. I live in Parker, and I kvetch if I have to travel north of DTC, south of Castle Rock, or west of Centennial. 😄

We just did a work thing at Unser/Podium Karting this afternoon, and it took me an hour on 25 to get home. I need a drink.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

3 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I was just talking about the same thing with my friend from Nebraska. He’s been wanting to play TPC. I told him we could play Collindale, Mariana Butte, and Highland Meadows for the same money (maybe even less, taking into account what Dancin just said). But I did just find out I do a know a member, I don’t know if they have to play with you to get the member rate and play on the weekend. I played it shortly after it opened, we had a group of 12 and somehow did get a better rate, $125 I think it was. 

When is the Collindale open?