2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

14 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

CGC= Colorado Golf Club? Seems like there are a couple of guys on here who have that ranked number 1 in the state. Can you say more about why you like it? How to get on it? Thanks!

I'm probably one of those people. It's a coore crenshaw design which I typically favor and this is my favorite version of what they like to do. I hit the ball decently far out here so most courses feel restrictive. CGC is a long brute (I've played it from 8100) and it allows me to stretch out the length and hit everything through the bag in a creative blend of risk/reward/difficulty/aggression that always leave me feel like I had fun and want to play more. It also has a very elite private club feel with all the extra touches.

Need to have friends or contacts who are members generally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

14 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

CGC= Colorado Golf Club? Seems like there are a couple of guys on here who have that ranked number 1 in the state. Can you say more about why you like it? How to get on it? Thanks!

Coore and Crenshaw did an unbelievable job putting this together, just everything you can ask for from a standpoint of having a course be interesting from an architectural standpoint, playable, and walkable. Honestly my favorite part is the walk, a single track trail that they have carved into the nature intermixed with the course. There are steps made out of tree trunks when the elevation changes are steep, it is a unique and truly spectacular experience.

If you have 1000 Greens CGC has a LOT of active members on there. Those members are eager to host, the accompanied guest rate (as of last year) is $125. Not caddie mandatory until you get to one member, three guests. 

If you have a pro who can call for you the unaccompanied guest rate (as of last year) is $325 and caddie fees. We were able to get out a foursome, no player host. 

This might be a new thread, but I've had some MISSES on Thousand Greens 😞. This is a course where I would recommend spending the extra money to not gamble on the company.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, ztull said:

I have next Friday, 5/20, off work and I've never been out to Wild Horse. Anyone up for the pilgrimage?

If we left my house in East Denver around 6:00 we'd be home by 8:00.

So did you decide to do WH this Friday? ....and not looking to go (this time) since Dancin noted my driving habits 😃 

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Yes, Colorado Golf Club. It's a tough, fair, but interesting layout. Conditions are prime. It's the first course I've played around here where your approaches are like Augusta: depending on the pins you usually need to land the ball in a specific area to funnel to the hole. Because of that, strategy and course management are the keys to a good number. Ever since I started playing tournament golf my favorite courses have been the ones that require a lot of strategy to get around well.

I've only played it twice for the first inaugural USGA Four-ball so I haven't played it in years now. I'm going to play it again late July so I will let you know if I still feel the same way about it but I was in love the first time. As far as getting on, you need to know a member or someone else that can make it happen (PGA or GCSAA.) Guest rates are in the $220 range if memory serves.

I used to think the same until playing a course that kicks my butt for it every time and showing me how week my game is.....

Edit: Are you doing other state (CGA) events?

Edited by CDM

1 hour ago, CDM said:

I used to think the same until playing a course that kicks my butt for it every time and showing me how week my game is.....

Edit: Are you doing other state (CGA) events?

LOL. This is why I hear constant bitching from the old retired guys at fox when our greens are any firmer than "giant sponge." P.S. They are perfect firmness right now, 1-2 bounces and stop.

As far as CGA, I will be playing and/or qualifying for all the championships. Same goes for all the USGA qualifiers. I always make it up to the Wyoming Open also because it's always a guys weekend and we have a kick a** time every year. The bar at the airport club (host course) is still the cheapest one I've visited in the US.

The best events as far as payouts/weekend only events are listed as their Points/Other Events. The entries are cheap and the payouts are large. As an example to this the 2020 Boulder City was $135 for 36 holes, entry gift was a pitchFix and a towel. They paid top 10 in the champ flight and I got the full $750 for winning. Sadly, the new CGA Tournament Director is slacking on the list so keep checking as he continues to add them. The ones I always try to play are:

• Collindale Invitational
  • Highland Hills Am (Skipping for CO National member-guest)
  • Denver City Am
  • Longmont City Championship
  • RMO (been skipping it since they made it Wed-Sat)
  • Ute Creek (spring and fall)
  • Twin Peaks (only usually make the fall)
  • Boulder City Am
  • Aurora City Am
  • Wellshire Four-ball
  • Navajo Trail Open is a blast but back to June so I have to skip,
Edited by Joelness
Better Grammar :shrug:
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

LOL. This is why I hear constant bitching from the old retired guys at fox when our greens are any firmer than "giant sponge." P.S. They are perfect firmness right now, 1-2 bounces and stop.

As far as CGA, I will be playing and/or qualifying for all the championships. Same goes for all the USGA qualifiers. I always make it up to the Wyoming Open also because it's always a guys weekend and we have a kick a** time every year. The bar at the airport club (host course) is still the cheapest one I've visited in the US.

The best events as far as payouts/weekend only events are listed as their Points/Other Events. The entries are cheap and the payouts are large. As an example to this the 2020 Boulder City was $135 for 36 holes, entry gift was a pitchFix and a towel. They paid top 10 in the champ flight and I got the full $750 for winning. Sadly, the new CGA Tournament Director is slacking on the list so keep checking as he continues to add them. The ones I always try to play are:

• Collindale Invitational
  • Highland Hills Am (Skipping for CO National member-guest)
  • Denver City Am
  • Longmont City Championship
  • RMO (been skipping it since they made it Wed-Sat)
  • Ute Creek (spring and fall)
  • Twin Peaks (only usually make the fall)
  • Boulder City Am
  • Aurora City Am
  • Wellshire Four-ball
  • Navajo Trail Open is a blast but back to June so I have to skip,

Busy schedule.  All good ones though.  A few guys I play with do a number of them but senior side

5 hours ago, ztull said:

Coore and Crenshaw did an unbelievable job putting this together, just everything you can ask for from a standpoint of having a course be interesting from an architectural standpoint, playable, and walkable. Honestly my favorite part is the walk, a single track trail that they have carved into the nature intermixed with the course. There are steps made out of tree trunks when the elevation changes are steep, it is a unique and truly spectacular experience.

If you have 1000 Greens CGC has a LOT of active members on there. Those members are eager to host, the accompanied guest rate (as of last year) is $125. Not caddie mandatory until you get to one member, three guests. 

If you have a pro who can call for you the unaccompanied guest rate (as of last year) is $325 and caddie fees. We were able to get out a foursome, no player host. 

This might be a new thread, but I've had some MISSES on Thousand Greens 😞. This is a course where I would recommend spending the extra money to not gamble on the company.

Thanks to everyone for the CGC descriptions. Sounds like it would be one of my faves, too, as I like all the aspects you guys mentioned (walkable, can stretch out to 8100, challenges all aspects of game, etc). 

But now you gotta tell me what 1000 Greens is! This thread is awesome for learning new things. When I moved here last year I felt clueless and overwhelmed by the CO golf scene, but I’m starting to feel like I’ve got some knowledge, thanks to you all!

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

25 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

But now you gotta tell me what 1000 Greens is! This thread is awesome for learning new things. When I moved here last year I felt clueless and overwhelmed by the CO golf scene, but I’m starting to feel like I’ve got some knowledge, thanks to you all!

thousandgreens.com

worthless unless you are a member of a private club

Played Murphy Creek last night.  *finally cleared to start with 9 holes.   

The front 9 is not in great shape, was very surprised.  "thickish" fairways on 3 or 4 holes,  patches in areas and the greens though punched 3 weeks ago are still not healed.  

If your thinking of playing MC I would give it a few weeks, hopefully in better shape by then. 

• Like 3

Since we had a brief discussion about Wild Horse recently. I got this email today..... You can not tell me this would not be a 6+ hour round.   

*Teeing off as eightsomes...OI...!.  I can see it now, you decide to play in it and you get stuck with that ONE player on the other team who hooks his Titleist out of bounds and looks for it........in a scramble 🤣  

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net%2Fpublic%2Fusers%2FIntegrators%2Fc62423e2-3c7f-4e4d-9138-ff554a6caedc%2F21521%2F2022%2520Memorial%2520Day%2520Scramble.jpg&t=1653334136&ymreqid=8e31fb2c-054a-5a58-1ccb-d80003010900&sig=_3yv4CAZTrYF8Gxl60vh5Q--~D

4 hours ago, CDM said:

The front 9 is not in great shape, was very surprised.  "thickish" fairways on 3 or 4 holes,  patches in areas and the greens though punched 3 weeks ago are still not healed.  

If your thinking of playing MC I would give it a few weeks, hopefully in better shape by then. 

Weird, I played last Thursday and they said the greens were punched 10 or say days before I played.  While they were slow they were rolling pretty good, but I figured they would have mowed them.  Maybe the weather we got prevented them from doing it.  May explain the fairways and patches too but who knows.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Since we had a brief discussion about Wild Horse recently. I got this email today..... You can not tell me this would not be a 6+ hour round.   

*Teeing off as eightsomes...OI...!.  I can see it now, you decide to play in it and you get stuck with that ONE player on the other team who hooks his Titleist out of bounds and looks for it........in a scramble 🤣  

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net%2Fpublic%2Fusers%2FIntegrators%2Fc62423e2-3c7f-4e4d-9138-ff554a6caedc%2F21521%2F2022%2520Memorial%2520Day%2520Scramble.jpg&t=1653334136&ymreqid=8e31fb2c-054a-5a58-1ccb-d80003010900&sig=_3yv4CAZTrYF8Gxl60vh5Q--~D

I saw that too! I grew up in Iowa where they did lots of 4 man scramble tourneys and you have to play in 8 somes so no one could cheat. The interesting part: My course set a four hour pace and if your group was more than a hole behind at the end, both teams were disqualified. It was unbelievable because as a much of a drunkfest as it could be, the tournament was always over within four hours and no one to my recollection ever got disqualified.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

6 hours ago, CDM said:

Sad to hear this, I love Murph. Fingers crossed that it shapes up, I can imagine staffing is a problem all the way out there.

4 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Weird, I played last Thursday and they said the greens were punched 10 or say days before I played.  While they were slow they were rolling pretty good, but I figured they would have mowed them.  Maybe the weather we got prevented them from doing it.  May explain the fairways and patches too but who knows.  

1 hour ago, ztull said:

Sad to hear this, I love Murph. Fingers crossed that it shapes up, I can imagine staffing is a problem all the way out there.

MC is my "home" course around Denver.   I spoke with a few friends who played in a men's club event and they said the back is in way better shape then the front.   They probably did not get a chance to mow due to weather. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CDM said:

MC is my "home" course around Denver.   I spoke with a few friends who played in a men's club event and they said the back is in way better shape then the front.   They probably did not get a chance to mow due to weather. 

Maybe that's why I was 4 strokes better on the back 😆 Must have been the conditions!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Hey did you guys see the Professional Long Drive Association is having an event in La Salle June 10-12. Looks like a lot of the big names in long drive will be there, including Kyle Berkshire. I signed up for the Amateur division.  Will see how it goes! Never done it before. My swing coach told me to start swinging harder at driver and so far this year I’ve been averaging about 330 at Collindale. Hit one 363 yesterday, but I think it hit a really hard patch of bare dirt. That’s with old driver too that is launching and spinning too high. Waiting on a lower spin, lower launch driver from Ping for a month now. Hope it comes in before the competition!

I had to google La Salle lol, but this is awesome, good luck in the tourney!!!

1 hour ago, ztull said:

I had to google La Salle lol, but this is awesome, good luck in the tourney!!!

Haha, so did I! Not too far from me in FC, which helped my decision. 

Thanks! I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Would like to start training but I got hit pretty hard by Covid these last ten days. Ready for it to be over. 

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I got my email from Courtney today and it looks like I’m in the first group out in the Senior Gross flight.  Here’s to hoping a decent golf game shows up instead of Mr. Hyde.  I’ll wrap up my round around 12:45 or so.  If any GolfWRX members who are playing have time let’s meet up. 

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

12 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I got my email from Courtney today and it looks like I’m in the first group out in the Senior Gross flight.  Here’s to hoping a decent golf game shows up instead of Mr. Hyde.  I’ll wrap up my round around 12:45 or so.  If any GolfWRX members who are playing have time let’s meet up. 

Damn, I'm teeing off at 12:24, which is the worst time from yours.

I still want to grab a beer with some WRX'ers!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

I’m teeing it up at 8:20.  Hopefully I’ll have a little later tee time on Sunday.  🙂

I played Collindale today.  Greens quick and receptive but that will change the next couple days.  I’m guessing speeds will be over 11 and might approach 12.  I drove the ball overall pretty well today, especially if I focus on an ever so slight pause at the top.  Irons were inconsistent.  Short came was either great or very pedestrian.  Putting was really good.  I lipped out 6 or 7 putts greater than 10 feet.  I’ll hit the range tomorrow and work on a couple of things to work through the inconsistency but my game as it is now is pretty much what I’m bringing.  Let the chips fall where they may.  

• Like 1

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

10 hours ago, Joelness said:

2 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I’m teeing it up at 8:20.  Hopefully I’ll have a little later tee time on Sunday.  🙂

I played Collindale today.  Greens quick and receptive but that will change the next couple days.  I’m guessing speeds will be over 11 and might approach 12.  I drove the ball overall pretty well today, especially if I focus on an ever so slight pause at the top.  Irons were inconsistent.  Short came was either great or very pedestrian.  Putting was really good.  I lipped out 6 or 7 putts greater than 10 feet.  I’ll hit the range tomorrow and work on a couple of things to work through the inconsistency but my game as it is now is pretty much what I’m bringing.  Let the chips fall where they may.  

Good luck in the event

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Joelness said:

I hope you well!   The following meme is how I played. 

image.jpeg.4d9e930078b7c8c99444c9079606cf7a.jpeg

I walked today because I knew the person I’m playing with waked and haven’t done so in a few years.  I simply ran out of gas at hole 11 and my scores reflected this.  Also, green speeds at Collindale is between 12 and 13.  Ugh

I could have withdrew and not posted and embarrassing score (broke 100 🤕). Tomorrow I’ll take a cart and try to score respectably.  I’m simply not in shape to walk but that’s the goal.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

One thing is for certain, the pressure of a tournament will definitely reveal flaws in a golf swing.  If a swing is not repeating and a few bad swings and results happen then that swing will resemble a  “cheap broken down lawn chair”.   That’s what happened to my game and result this weekend.  While it seemed liked I was playing well as of late, my game was a menagerie of the true state of my game.  I haven’t scored this bad in any round in years,

maybe a couple decades or more.  At present, I simply suck at golf.  Time to regroup, tear down and relearn what a good repeating golf swing is supposed to be.  At least for me.  That being said, good luck to @joelness at the Collindale Invitational!

• Like 3

Dunes this morning.  Excellent shape as always if have not been out there.  The first cut just off the the fairways is THICK . If your just off the edge of the fairway it eats it up like velcro.   Greens are second best I have seen, best  locally. 

Edit: So had not played Riverdale since early last year, but when did they change the tee boxes to symbols ? 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2