2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

9 hours ago, EricMatt said:

Tied Derek Tolan.

I remember him when he was a kid who went lights out at sectionals and played in the open at Bethpage years ago. 

He’s played in our pro am in western Nebraska for several years. I tried to pick him one year, but the team before us nabbed him. He was the pro for one of my buddies teams one year. If I remember correctly, he usually does pretty well in that tournament. I’ve met him, but honestly don’t remember him real well. 

Collindale sounds fun, it’s been several years since I’ve been there. 

7 hours ago, Ghall17 said:

Playing golf in the Denver area in 2 weeks, and I’m trying to decide between Arrowhead and Fossil Trace. From a local’s perspective: what is the better choice? 

Better golf? Fossil Trace...when compared to Arrowhead. The front nine is okay, and the back nine many people consider gimmicky.

Better scenery? Arrowhead.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

9 hours ago, Ghall17 said:

Playing golf in the Denver area in 2 weeks, and I’m trying to decide between Arrowhead and Fossil Trace. From a local’s perspective: what is the better choice? 

Without the scenery, Arrowhead would be one of the most boring layouts in Denver. Play Fossil Trace and do your sight seeing separately.

8 hours ago, Dancin said:

Without the scenery, Arrowhead would be one of the most boring layouts in Denver. Play Fossil Trace and do your sight seeing separately.

There are, and I can't emphasize this enough, *better* instate red rocks courses. Perry Park in a landslide, Red Rocks CC... 

13 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

He’s played in our pro am in western Nebraska for several years. I tried to pick him one year, but the team before us nabbed him. He was the pro for one of my buddies teams one year. If I remember correctly, he usually does pretty well in that tournament. I’ve met him, but honestly don’t remember him real well. 

Collindale sounds fun, it’s been several years since I’ve been there. 

Derek's dad, Mike Tolan is or was the HP at South Suburban's Family Fun Center. Playing that course every day would allow you to get creative with the wedges and make you a GREAT putter. Those greens are SLICK.

10 minutes ago, ztull said:

There are, and I can't emphasize this enough, *better* instate red rocks courses. Perry Park in a landslide, Red Rocks CC... 

They are also both private and not available to someone traveling here. Am I missing something?

I had a friend play Red Rocks CC last fall and he didn't like it at all. Said it was boring with wayyyyy too many houses. I haven't played it so can't comment first-hand.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, Joelness said:

They are also both private and not available to someone traveling here. Am I missing something?

I had a friend play Red Rocks CC last fall and he didn't like it at all. Said it was boring with wayyyyy too many houses. I haven't played it so can't comment first-hand.

Perry Park needs revenue (at least until they’re gobbled by a conglomerate), Red Rocks needs attention (in the midst of an awesome AND expensive looking reno) I wouldn’t think a tourist was drawing dead with a, “someone on a golf forum told me your course was better than Arrowhead,” email. 

Red Rocks has a lot of houses, it also has 6 great holes (4,5 15-18). In a vacuum it might be a bad course. When you’re comparing it to Arrowhead it’s a gd mecca of Red Rocks golf. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, Joelness said:

..........sadly I put a a majority of the homes around it 15+ years ago for a client.   At that time the course was dying and they needed members bad and more so $$$ so they had to agree on aspects to save them which allowed alot of homes to be added.   

I did the work south of Belleview (think it is the front 9 now) and those homes were intentionally packed in to get extra $$$ for the club to fix some major problems.  The irrgation pond south of Belleview need a pond liner. it leaked soooo bad Jeffco was on the verge of shutting down the course as it was under mining Belleview. The irrgation system was held together with duct tape (no joke in areas) and the cart paths...or should say crumbled concrete needed replacement.  

In the end it worked, it got done plus they had some extra money and updated the clubhouse but at the cost of completely changing the look of the course.        

Edit: it was originally built as a 9 hole course (south of Belleview) and I always figured back in the day it was probably  pretty decent but by todays standards not so much. 

Edited by CDM

28 minutes ago, ztull said:

........it also has 6 great holes (4,5 15-18)

Agree, 15-18 are pretty good holes. 

Glad to hear they are doing a reno.  I was partial to RCCC when working on it.  I liked the Manager/Head Pro. They would let me sneak out on Tuesdays for 9 holes after our development team meetings.  Plus I would do some side engineering to help them out.  

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Agree, 15-18 are pretty good holes. 

Glad to hear they are doing a reno.  I was partial to RCCC when working on it.  I liked the Manager/Head Pro. They would let me sneak out on Tuesdays for 9 holes after our development team meetings.  Plus I would do some side engineering to help them out.  

They let me out every afternoon. I’ve heard they tightened up a bit, but that was a BIG perk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

..........sadly I put a a majority of the homes around it 15+ years ago for a client.   At that time the course was dying and they needed members bad and more so $$$ so they had to agree on aspects to save them which allowed alot of homes to be added.   

I did the work south of Belleview (think it is the front 9 now) and those homes were intentionally packed in to get extra $$$ for the club to fix some major problems.  The irrgation pond south of Belleview need a pond liner. it leaked soooo bad Jeffco was on the verge of shutting down the course as it was under mining Belleview. The irrgation system was held together with duct tape (no joke in areas) and the cart paths...or should say crumbled concrete needed replacement.  

In the end it worked, it got done plus they had some extra money and updated the clubhouse but at the cost of completely changing the look of the course.        

Edit: it was originally built as a 9 hole course (south of Belleview) and I always figured back in the day it was probably  pretty decent but by todays standards not so much. 

Damn, thanks for sharing this. That course oozes potential, this fills in a lot of blanks for me. 

The pond you’re talking about is on the back nine, between 11-12, that has been a big, pain in the a** project for them. 

I played Red Rocks last year. The course definitely has potential, but they'll likely never reach it. It sounds like they have the typical problem of old clubs of more than half the membership not wanting to pay anything more than necessary, so it's tough to get any changes in and the grounds crew gets the bare minimum. They also have black layer under many of their greens; although, they are slowly working through rebuilding the worst ones. The holes they did renovate were a big improvement. I always tell people I wish Red Rocks had Ravenna's maintenance budget.

13 hours ago, ztull said:

Perry Park needs revenue (at least until they’re gobbled by a conglomerate), Red Rocks needs attention (in the midst of an awesome AND expensive looking reno) I wouldn’t think a tourist was drawing dead with a, “someone on a golf forum told me your course was better than Arrowhead,” email. 

Red Rocks has a lot of houses, it also has 6 great holes (4,5 15-18). In a vacuum it might be a bad course. When you’re comparing it to Arrowhead it’s a gd mecca of Red Rocks golf. 

Totally fair. I apologize.

I'm not sure how much Perry needs the revenue though, they won't let a member bring more than one guest before noon. I have a friend that moved there whom I never see now that he's 60-75 mins south. I've been trying to organize a time with him for my wife and I but the rule makes it a PTA. I did hear that the course made it out of winter a lot better than most others due to the larger snow totals they got.

Edited by Joelness

4 hours ago, Joelness said:

Totally fair. I apologize.

I'm not sure how much Perry needs the revenue though, they won't let a member bring more than one guest before noon. I have a friend that moved there whom I never see now that he's 60-75 mins south. I've been trying to organize a time with him for my wife and I but the rule makes it a PTA. I did hear that the course made it out of winter a lot better than most others due to the larger snow totals they got.

No need for an apology my guy!!

I am on Perry Park's mailing list and I'm usually presented with an opportunity to play there once or twice a month, I bet they would let your friend join you 😉

I HATE restrictions, play at the Omni where there aren't any.

15 hours ago, Dancin said:

I played Red Rocks last year. The course definitely has potential, but they'll likely never reach it. It sounds like they have the typical problem of old clubs of more than half the membership not wanting to pay anything more than necessary, so it's tough to get any changes in and the grounds crew gets the bare minimum. They also have black layer under many of their greens; although, they are slowly working through rebuilding the worst ones. The holes they did renovate were a big improvement. I always tell people I wish Red Rocks had Ravenna's maintenance budget.

Yeah love this. I can confirm massive amounts of attrition any time a change is made. I haven't been out to see the reno, but I'd like to, I saw they rebuilt the greens on 6 and 9. 

They'd have 7 good holes if they made 2 into a par 5. Plenty of room to tee it back on those hills southwest of the existing tee box. They'd also have a par 72.

35 minutes ago, ztull said:

No need for an apology my guy!!

I am on Perry Park's mailing list and I'm usually presented with an opportunity to play there once or twice a month, I bet they would let your friend join you 😉

I HATE restrictions, play at the Omni where there aren't any.

Quote from my friend about playing this Sunday at Perry:

Noon is the earliest I can get for this Sunday with two guests. I know you said you needed to be back by 5, so that may not work. Let me know either way. They're cracking down on the guest rule before noon. f****** blows

18 minutes ago, ztull said:

Gonna be fun whether we give in to consumerism or curmudgeonly refuse to acknowledge BMW as the title sponsor. 

I have a 2008 Tacoma, if that lends any insight here...

I don't disagree with you, but it is so far gone from the Western "Open" at this point, I think it hurts the Western Open's legacy to keep calling it that.

32 minutes ago, CSURam_06 said:

I don't disagree with you, but it is so far gone from the Western "Open" at this point, I think it hurts the Western Open's legacy to keep calling it that.

Lol I live and die by CU Athletics too 😉 

WGA still runs the BMW Championship, they are still sending caddies to college.

I played Collindale yesterday and the greens are as good as I’ve played them in years!  Greens rolling quick and smooth, very true.  I almost holed two 50+ foot lag putts on the new #5 and #8 (formerly #14 and #17) after a couple poor approaches in.  I made a couple 20 foot putts.  I had some good shots and some not so good.  Working on bettering my nearly non-existent preshot routine and working on a new swing key to better strike my iron shots.  I was working on swing and keys, not score.  

That said, I was told by someone in the know that the reason for the shift of the 9s was due to some people who have moved in houses in the last year on the original holes 6 and 7 complained to the city about early morning grass cutting and maintenance noise.  Figures.  🧐

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

58 minutes ago, CDM said:

Will it be stableford?

It won't be 😞.

I'm having some fun with the name, but it's the BMW Championship, part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. 

I would LOVE a PGA tour fixture in Colorado. Vickers (may he rest in peace) didn't like how long the course had to be shut down for in order to host The International. Honestly that would be tough at an 18 hole facility. I'd still like a tour stop...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztull said:

It won't be 😞.

I'm having some fun with the name, but it's the BMW Championship, part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. 

I would LOVE a PGA tour fixture in Colorado. Vickers (may he rest in peace) didn't like how long the course had to be shut down for in order to host The International. Honestly that would be tough at an 18 hole facility. I'd still like a tour stop...

I loved and hated the International event.  Amazing to watch the pro's and Sad to see how bad my game really is 🤣

Would be nice to have a tour stop again.  

• Like 1

No regular tour stop is ever coming to Colorado. We don't have a profitable and large enough sponsor to support that. There will likely be one offs like this one again though. TPC Colorado will definitely never have a regular tour stop and I'm not sure they'd even get a 1 off as the players would b**** and moan about some of the greens. Of any of the ones that have somewhat public access, Raindance likely has the best shot since they have the length and Fred Funk's boring greens and shallow bunkers so as not to punish any of the pro's fragile egos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dancin said:

No regular tour stop is ever coming to Colorado. We don't have a profitable and large enough sponsor to support that. There will likely be one offs like this one again though. TPC Colorado will definitely never have a regular tour stop and I'm not sure they'd even get a 1 off as the players would b**** and moan about some of the greens. Of any of the ones that have somewhat public access, Raindance likely has the best shot since they have the length and Fred Funk's boring greens and shallow bunkers so as not to punish any of the pro's fragile egos.

hahahahahaha

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5