2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

My kid has hockey twice a week over at The Edge Ice Arena this month. Wife and I are looking forward to dropping her off and going to the range down the street at The Meadows.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I suppose on the plus side, most of the clubs on the south side of town don't have waitlists. I also doubt that Inverness has a waitlist.

20 hours ago, Dancin said:

Colorado Avid Golfer posted their 2022 private club listings. If you hadn't joined somewhere already, you better have a lot of excess cash. Initiations up dramatically along with clubs with wait lists. https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/clubbing-up/

Ballyneal up to $50k and looks like no more national/local distinction.  One day I'll get the ok from the wife to try to join there 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Ballyneal up to $50k and looks like no more national/local distinction.  One day I'll get the ok from the wife to try to join there 😁

It's crazy how high some of those numbers are. Ballyneal and CGC would be the two that make sense. Best experiences you can have hitting a white ball in this state!

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Still some good deals on this if you can play during the week: https://cbo.io/bidapp/main.php?slug=golfgives

I'd bid on the Sanctuary one at the current price, but the details imply they won't allow it to sell for less than $1600. Still a good deal if you really want to play it as you won't find any charity events less than $400 a person and most are dramatically higher. It's not worth $400 though.

Someone else paid up and did the buy now on Colorado Golf Club for $2250 + caddie fees.

Anyway, still 8 days left in the auction. I'm sure all the privates will go for much higher than the current bid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Still some good deals on this if you can play during the week: https://cbo.io/bidapp/main.php?slug=golfgives

I'd bid on the Sanctuary one at the current price, but the details imply they won't allow it to sell for less than $1600. Still a good deal if you really want to play it as you won't find any charity events less than $400 a person and most are dramatically higher. It's not worth $400 though.

Someone else paid up and did the buy now on Colorado Golf Club for $2250 + caddie fees.

Anyway, still 8 days left in the auction. I'm sure all the privates will go for much higher than the current bid.

Agreed it'll go higher, but count me in if you need someone for Sanctuary.  Happy to go in on the foursome.  

3 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I'm not bidding on it with that wording in it, but if anyone gets them to sell it for $300 or less I'll join in.

Oh gotcha, sorry I misread your post.  I'll keep an eye on it.  We'll see what it is at closer to the end of bidding...but guessing they'll get over the $1,600 easy.

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Frost Creek is the hidden gem in that list IMO

Unexpectedly made it out to South Suburban after work with my boss. Thankfully the winds calmed down compared to the other few days. Having not really swung a club in over 6 months (save for a trip to Top Golf), I suppose I did okay. The greens were in rough shape, but it still doesn't excuse 23 putts (including four three-putt bogeys).

They put in quite a bit of work into reshaping and adding bunkers around the course. You're going to have to absolutely bomb one from the back of the tee box on #7 to cut the corner now. They have laid brand new sod into the bottom of the bunkers, so I'm not sure if they are doing away with sand or ...?

Anyways, it was a nice night to get out.

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

They have laid brand new sod into the bottom of the bunkers, so I'm not sure if they are doing away with sand or ...?

Sod is sometimes used as a bunker liner to improve drainage, help keep sand from washing out and to keep sand clean and uncontaminated during heavy rains. So it's either that or they're slowly turning them into grass bunkers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dancin said:

Sod is sometimes used as a bunker liner to improve drainage, help keep sand from washing out and to keep sand clean and uncontaminated during heavy rains. So it's either that or they're slowly turning them into grass bunkers.

I swear they laid sod down in the new bunkers when they redid 18, then sand was put on top. My friends think I'm crazy.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, pseudoswede said:

I swear they laid sod down in the new bunkers when they redid 18, then sand was put on top. My friends think I'm crazy.

They are doing this at Fox hill for at least three bunkers that have begun renovation the last two months. I think this is becoming more and more standardized. I haven't studied it but there are probably a few benefits 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Joelness said:

They are doing this at Fox hill for at least three bunkers that have begun renovation the last two months. I think this is becoming more and more standardized. I haven't studied it but there are probably a few benefits 🤷‍♂️

I helped do an initial golf course build when I was in college and we dug the bunkers out to a certain level, dug the drainage pipe veins, and then covered with pea gravel 6 inches deep. Sand went right on top. The person I was helping was neurotic about having all the levels for each step measured out perfectly as it was the key to the bunker playing uniformly.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

11 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

I helped do an initial golf course build when I was in college and we dug the bunkers out to a certain level, dug the drainage pipe veins, and then covered with pea gravel 6 inches deep. Sand went right on top. The person I was helping was neurotic about having all the levels for each step measured out perfectly as it was the key to the bunker playing uniformly.

This typically how I have seen it done. The drain pipe sometimes wrapped in a mirafi fabic for clogging protection.    Oddly though the last few i have seen has been grass, just not sure how it makes a difference.  

15 hours ago, CDM said:

This typically how I have seen it done. The drain pipe sometimes wrapped in a mirafi fabic for clogging protection.    Oddly though the last few i have seen has been grass, just not sure how it makes a difference.  

I think the big key is when inevitably the sand gets displaced and the players reach the bottom. When that happens the grass will stay together to provide a solid base. The gravel would end up flying and end up somewhere that isn't the bottom of the bunker, which ends up with permanent damage that's only rectified by scraping it again.

Thinking about it, bunker liners are a tough problem to solve. You need something solid that can drain well to prevent erosion. Grass is great because it does those things well, while having added benefits:

• it will hold sand between blades once you do get to the bottom, slowing down further damage
  • it can be easily spot repaired via sod once damage does occur

The biggest con I could see is if you don't sufficiently kill said grass first as it would then begin growing through the sand.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

Got out to play CG yesterday.  Was a little windy at the beginning and end of the round but had a nice stretch in the middle where it was perfect weather.  Course is rounding into really nice shape...greens were aerated two weeks ago and already back into good shape.  Rough and wild areas still mowed back so not much punishment on errant shots.  Shot a so-so 81 despite putting like an absolute clown.  Had 3 3-putts and missed some easy short putts 🤦‍♂️  

• Like 4

Hey everyone, looking for recommendations to get my lofts and lies adjusted.  I'm on the west side of town (Golden area), and know that the PGA Superstore in Westminster will do it, but just wondering if anyone has experience with them or has someone else they would recommend.

Clubs are the OG PXG 0311's, so forged, and only want to bump the lies by about 1.5 to 2 degrees upright.

Thanks, drn92

I wish it would stop being so bleepin' windy.

I played Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday. It was cloudy and pretty chilly in the morning, especially with the wind; it got sunny on the back 9, but the wind meant I couldn't take off any layers. The greens are still recovering from being punched, so putting was pretty useless. The only perk of the wind was that I almost drove over #9, and then I had a 381yd drive on #14.

The real takeaway I had from my round was that, except for my LW, I'm basically hitting everything on the face everywhere except in the center. The perk is that most of my hits still go in the direction desired, but the distance is significantly reduced. I suppose some range sessions will fix that...maybe.

• Like 2

I cant do full swings yet but did putt and chip this weekend at Murphy Creek. 

The wind was blowing pretty good at MC this weekend.  While putting I watched groups tee off on #1 and with the cross wind  I would guess of the 5-6 groups I watched pretty sure the average was 3 out 4 players hit into the rough or hit OB.     

• Like 2