2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

14 hours ago, Dancin said:

I remember when they screwed up the initial EV rebates for the first year in the mid 2000s and didn't exclude golf carts and you could get a new one for under $1000 after rebate if you got the mirrors and lights to make it 35 mph and under street eligible. I came really close to buying one.

That would have been a dream. You could have done it simply for resell later. Carts aren't as cheap as I thought they were.

Yes! That thing was definitely coming back at you on the descent! Glad you can find the positive from those conditions!

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Just now, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yes! That thing was definitely coming back at you on the descent! Glad you can find the positive from those conditions!

I think the biggest positive was Riverdale was kind enough to issue us a "Wind Check" at the turn. Haha. Helps that I already played Saddle Rock earlier in the morning. Pretty much no wind from a 7:50am tee time in Aurora. Was trying to be greedy squeezing in a second 18 holes on the day.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

I think the biggest positive was Riverdale was kind enough to issue us a "Wind Check" at the turn. Haha. Helps that I already played Saddle Rock earlier in the morning. Pretty much no wind from a 7:50am tee time in Aurora. Was trying to be greedy squeezing in a second 18 holes on the day.

you're a nut and it's awesome!

• Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I'm heading to San Diego with friends this weekend and part of the trip is that we are getting to play Torrey South on Friday. A little cold on the forecast but it should be a wonderful day!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

I'm heading to San Diego with friends this weekend and part of the trip is that we are getting to play Torrey South on Friday. A little cold on the forecast but it should be a wonderful day!

Curious what you'll think of Torrey, I've heard a lot of varying opinions on it (have never played it myself).

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Curious what you'll think of Torrey, I've heard a lot of varying opinions on it (have never played it myself).

I've played the north course a few years back. My personal opinion is that the view is beautiful and the whole set up is kind of cool. I'd say the actual golf course its relatively mundane. It's a cool one time experience to see where everything is but it's not a place I would repeatedly pay for on my own.

I got paired with a dad, a son, and his buddy. They legitimately lost 50-60 golf balls and shot somewhere between 90-130. When we finished they wanted to know what I shot to see if they beat me. I shot 69...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Back in the day, I was able to get onto Torrey Pines South using someone else's resident ID. If I could pay $25 for 18 holes, I would do that every day in a heartbeat. The resident weekday rate is now $63, but I think it's still a great deal. It's a scenic course in a beautiful part of the country, for sure.

I've always found it a bit strange that there are only three public golf courses in the San Diego metro area that offer ocean views: Torrey Pines North & South and Coronado Muni Golf Course. There is a military golf course on Coronado Island, too, but I can't get on that.

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

19 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

I've played the north course a few years back. My personal opinion is that the view is beautiful and the whole set up is kind of cool. I'd say the actual golf course its relatively mundane. It's a cool one time experience to see where everything is but it's not a place I would repeatedly pay for on my own.

I got paired with a dad, a son, and his buddy. They legitimately lost 50-60 golf balls and shot somewhere between 90-130. When we finished they wanted to know what I shot to see if they beat me. I shot 69...

That is insane. Definition of clueless..... anyone? I've never had this happen to me when I shoot 80, lol.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, Joelness said:

Did Collindale switch the nines this year or is this an old switch? Congrats on the good six, it's amazing to see that work finally pay off. I got lucky and skipped all the rough wind being in Florida the last two weeks. I did play Ute with a friend yesterday so he could see the course before the CGA this weekend. Needless to say... it was HARD.

On a side note, check out my new baby!
IMG_20220418_102716.jpg.2073f906ca93715c164d04bb9ea3fd3a.jpg

IMG_20220418_102737.jpg

IMG_20220418_102728.jpg

Nice ride! What course is that in the background?

Collindale switched the nines this year, so that par 5 that runs along Horsetooth Road with the big net up the left is now No. 10. I think it's a good switch for a lot of reasons: 1) A reachable par five off number 1 backs up play right away; 2) don't really like starting on a par 5; 3) the new #1 is kind of a hand-shake par 4; 4) the old front nine is the harder of the two nines, and I like when a course slowly builds to harder holes; 5) now people don't have to walk across 18 fairway to get to 10 tee. It's an easy switch because 1 and 10 both start right by the clubhouse (although both go east, which isn't great) and nine and 18 both finish at the clubhouse with views of the entire hole from the clubhouse. But of course change is hard for people so there's been a lot of griping...

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Collindale switched the nines this year, so that par 5 that runs along Horsetooth Road with the big net up the left is now No. 10. I think it's a good switch for a lot of reasons: 1) A reachable par five off number 1 backs up play right away; 2) don't really like starting on a par 5; 3) the new #1 is kind of a hand-shake par 4; 4) the old front nine is the harder of the two nines, and I like when a course slowly builds to harder holes; 5) now people don't have to walk across 18 fairway to get to 10 tee. It's an easy switch because 1 and 10 both start right by the clubhouse (although both go east, which isn't great) and nine and 18 both finish at the clubhouse with views of the entire hole from the clubhouse. But of course change is hard for people so there's been a lot of griping...

Still the same course.  To me it makes little difference what nine to start on.  

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

20 hours ago, CDM said:

Yes but you never shoot 80  😃 

Boy, wouldn't that be nice. A guy can dream I guess

20 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Dancin has the course correct. When you (or anyone here!) come down you can just park at my place and we'll take the cart. When I walk I just park the cart at the shop anyway.

I had no idea Collindale switched. It's not a big deal either way for me but I do agree with most of your points for sure. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hand-shake." Do you mean shaking hands because it's narrow (it is IMO) or hand-shake as in easy? Overall I do think it's a good decision.

Speaking of Collindale, I got an email yesterday from Courtney saying the invitational is open for sign-ups. Those of you up there should play in it, one of my favorite CGA club events all year and yes, they do have net flights so it's open for all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joelness said:

Dancin has the course correct. When you (or anyone here!) come down you can just park at my place and we'll take the cart. When I walk I just park the cart at the shop anyway.

I had no idea Collindale switched. It's not a big deal either way for me but I do agree with most of your points for sure. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hand-shake." Do you mean shaking hands because it's narrow (it is IMO) or hand-shake as in easy? Overall I do think it's a good decision.

Speaking of Collindale, I got an email yesterday from Courtney saying the invitational is open for sign-ups. Those of you up there should play in it, one of my favorite CGA club events all year and yes, they do have net flights so it's open for all.

Ooh, I'm signing up for the Collindale Invite this year! See you up here!

Hand-shake as in a pretty mellow par 4 to start. It's relatively open compared to the all the other tight holes out there, not super long, and you can't get in too much trouble off the tee, impossible to go OB or really to lose a ball (there is that hazard on the right at about 300 from the black tees, but if you take 3w or driving iron, etc. you should come up short of it and still just have an 8i or 9i in).  Green is pretty small, but so is every green out there. Overall, one of the most benign holes on the course, IMO. I like starting with a benign par 4.

By contrast, starting with that par 5 along the road, that fairway is narrow and it's an awkward tee shot for me (usually it's good to aim away from trouble, which is the road and trees up the left, but that forest to the right is trouble too). It's the most get-able par 5 on the course, but it kinda sucks to start there because you're not totally sure what you have that day, and that combined with the awkward tee shot... just not my favorite opening hole. But I like it as number 10: maybe you shot over par on the front and want to pump yourself up to get one back, or you're feeling good with driver so you feel more confident to pump one out there and go for the green in two, or you know your driver is garbage so you need to hit 3i off the tee to make it an easy three shotter and maybe try to get some rhtyhm back in your swing. I don't know, just my .02. I think it's a good switch for all those reasons and more.

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

4 hours ago, Joelness said:

My dad won the Fox Hunt about 15-20 years ago and they got these sweet leather duffel bags that he still uses on golf trips to this day! 

• Like 1

Played South Suburban tonight in some pretty insane wind gusts. Highlight was ripping a 6-iron into a faceward cross-wind 150 yards, 40 yards to the right of the pin and ending up 5 feet from the cup.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Played South Suburban tonight in some pretty insane wind gusts. Highlight was ripping a 6-iron into a faceward cross-wind 150 yards, 40 yards to the right of the pin and ending up 5 feet from the cup.

What in the world is up with this wind?!  I played CommonGround, we called it after 9.  Wind was so crazy I hit a 372 yard drive on 5 and then drop-kicked a 3 wood 317 yards on 8 😆  We tried to tee off on 10 but realized it was going to be just a miserable back 9 with gusts up to 50-60 mph so....yeah, no thanks.  I'm supposed to play a 9 hole event there tomorrow afternoon but given the high wind warning, I'm not optimistic it will actually happen.  Guess we'll see.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Ooh, I'm signing up for the Collindale Invite this year! See you up here!

Hand-shake as in a pretty mellow par 4 to start. It's relatively open compared to the all the other tight holes out there, not super long, and you can't get in too much trouble off the tee, impossible to go OB or really to lose a ball (there is that hazard on the right at about 300 from the black tees, but if you take 3w or driving iron, etc. you should come up short of it and still just have an 8i or 9i in).  Green is pretty small, but so is every green out there. Overall, one of the most benign holes on the course, IMO. I like starting with a benign par 4.

By contrast, starting with that par 5 along the road, that fairway is narrow and it's an awkward tee shot for me (usually it's good to aim away from trouble, which is the road and trees up the left, but that forest to the right is trouble too). It's the most get-able par 5 on the course, but it kinda sucks to start there because you're not totally sure what you have that day, and that combined with the awkward tee shot... just not my favorite opening hole. But I like it as number 10: maybe you shot over par on the front and want to pump yourself up to get one back, or you're feeling good with driver so you feel more confident to pump one out there and go for the green in two, or you know your driver is garbage so you need to hit 3i off the tee to make it an easy three shotter and maybe try to get some rhtyhm back in your swing. I don't know, just my .02. I think it's a good switch for all those reasons and more.

Yeah, I normally hit 3w > wedge on 10. I've been in trouble there, but you're right in that it isn't often. Yes, that tee shot on the old no. 1 is a beast of an opener. You know if you hit it good it's an easy birdie. However there's a smooth double via OB left also. I end up the in the trees right most often because I can always make a par from there. I think it's a good move too but I'm going to miss finishing on the old 16, 17, and 18. Those were great finishing holes. At least the risk-reward of the old 17 is captured with the old 7 on the flip side.

17 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

My dad won the Fox Hunt about 15-20 years ago and they got these sweet leather duffel bags that he still uses on golf trips to this day! 

Ha, that's awesome. Get your handicap up and I'll slide you an invite 😉. They do a great job for the fox hunt.

They did screw me last year though. On practice round Wednesday you can toss in $50 for a net 63 or better pool. My team ended up birdieing the last two to shoot 63...... for 64..... and they wouldn't pay us.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play the FRGC event up at Highland Meadows on 5/15. I have a friend and his friend flying in for the weekend, and we're playing Fossil Trace and Arrowhead that day.

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play the FRGC event up at Highland Meadows on 5/15. I have a friend and his friend flying in for the weekend, and we're playing Fossil Trace and Arrowhead that day.

You told me about that, but I had completely forgotten. I’m hoping I can play by then. I hurt my hand in our skins tournament the first weekend of the month (sprained something when the club caught in a bush on my downswing) and can’t swing right now.  Doc said nothing broken but it could take several weeks to heal 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, Joelness said:

I will sign up and play some of the worst golf I am able!  I always do!!! 😂🤣😂

This might just be my last Collindale Invitational but you never know about traveling back to Colorado and working this in on a vacation! 

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 1/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, tssgj65 said:

Anyone know of good golf club's to join in the South Denver area?

I know the South Denver club scene pretty well lol:

Inverness has a GREAT course, the practice facilities are bad and the tiered membership leaves something to be desired because the top tier includes a cart, but part of the draw (at least for me) was that Inverness is an incredible walking layout. 

Meridian is a good course, the practice facilities are among the best in the state. Last I checked they were waitlisted, judiciously, this is not a place where I would waitlist. 

Billy Bell's Valley Country Club is a stellar design on a less than stellar piece of land. They just put in a swimming pool, it looks sweet, I've heard their membership pays a lot of assessments. 

Columbine has a world class par three course, Columbine Valley is my favorite near Denver neighborhood, the 18 hole course has TEETH, and something like 130 bunkers. Again, judiciously, that is not a course I want to play every day.

Cherry Creek flies under the radar because they are absolute fanatics about restricting guest play, but Nicklaus built a very special parkland layout there (with one routing flaw, you cross over hole 7 to get to hole 12) even before Covid their tee sheet was packed, the practice facilities are nothing to write home about, and Korean Aurora (where CCCC is located) is a weird place for a club and an insane place for a club of this caliber. Love the course though, really Really REALLY good course. (This course may have shutdown the waitlist.)

Pinehurst comes to you at a lower price-point. Huge waitlist, IMO you get what you pay for there.

I haven't played Glenmoor or Ravenna but I often see them included on best in state lists (Glenmoor shutdown the waitlist).

If you have the social and the financial capital to join Cherry Hills that is an absolute no brainer.

There are even more options (and some good ones) south of Denver, happy to dig in there if you want more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ztull said:

I know the South Denver club scene pretty well lol:

Inverness has a GREAT course, the practice facilities are bad and the tiered membership leaves something to be desired because the top tier includes a cart, but part of the draw (at least for me) was that Inverness is an incredible walking layout. 

Meridian is a good course, the practice facilities are among the best in the state. Last I checked they were waitlisted, judiciously, this is not a place where I would waitlist. 

Billy Bell's Valley Country Club is a stellar design on a less than stellar piece of land. They just put in a swimming pool, it looks sweet, I've heard their membership pays a lot of assessments. 

Columbine has a world class par three course, Columbine Valley is my favorite near Denver neighborhood, the 18 hole course has TEETH, and something like 130 bunkers. Again, judiciously, that is not a course I want to play every day.

Cherry Creek flies under the radar because they are absolute fanatics about restricting guest play, but Nicklaus built a very special parkland layout there (with one routing flaw, you cross over hole 7 to get to hole 12) even before Covid their tee sheet was packed, the practice facilities are nothing to write home about, and Korean Aurora (where CCCC is located) is a weird place for a club and an insane place for a club of this caliber. Love the course though, really Really REALLY good course. (This course may have shutdown the waitlist.)

Pinehurst comes to you at a lower price-point. Huge waitlist, IMO you get what you pay for there.

I haven't played Glenmoor or Ravenna but I often see them included on best in state lists (Glenmoor shutdown the waitlist).

If you have the social and the financial capital to join Cherry Hills that is an absolute no brainer.

There are even more options (and some good ones) south of Denver, happy to dig in there if you want more.

Agree on all aspects.   Couple of notes. 

Valley, very much so on the assessments.   

Cherry Hills, not sure.  They have had some issues with members and politics and a number have left over the last few years.  

Cherry Creek.  Did a ton of work for the owners so played it a lot.  I for one am not a Nicklaus fan 😁 so can not say I love that course LOL.  Though it is great  setup and was built on the old course that was there which I can not re all the name.  Reason built where it is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CDM said:

Agree on all aspects.   Couple of notes. 

Valley, very much so on the assessments.   

Cherry Hills, not sure.  They have had some issues with members and politics and a number have left over the last few years.  

Cherry Creek.  Did a ton of work for the owners so played it a lot.  I for one am not a Nicklaus fan 😁 so can not say I love that course LOL.  Though it is great  setup and was built on the old course that was there which I can not re all the name.  Reason built where it is.

Shame about the members and politics at Cherry Hills, great course, great history, love the recent touchups by Doak.

I could take or leave a lot of Nicklaus' work but Cherry Creek is one of my favorite parkland courses anywhere. Another one that really impressed me was The Bridges down in Montrose. Someone at his design firm put A LOT of thought into those green complexes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztull said:

I could take or leave a lot of Nicklaus' work but Cherry Creek is one of my favorite parkland courses anywhere. Another one that really impressed me was The Bridges down in Montrose. Someone at his design firm put A LOT of thought into those green complexes. 

Yeah, the green complexes at CCCC are bleepin' evil. Seems to be typical Nicklaus to punish you for just missing the green by funneling your ball away 50 yards in most any direction. Both Castle Pines Village course are like that, too. Oddly enough, I don't recall Meridian being as penalizing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Yeah, the green complexes at CCCC are bleepin' evil. Seems to be typical Nicklaus to punish you for just missing the green by funneling your ball away 50 yards in most any direction. Both Castle Pines Village course are like that, too. Oddly enough, I don't recall Meridian being as penalizing.

Greens at Meridian are massive and the grades on those greens are massive too. On the one hand, it's easy to read grades on slopes like that on the other hand there a lot of the surface is unpinable. I'm thinking specifically of 9.

The breaks are subtle at CCCC but they really move the ball. I'm into it...

• Like 2